What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wireless network issues (1 Viewer)

snellman

Footballguy
I am currently using a Netgear wndr3400 for my home network and have not had any issues, but as we are adding more wireless devices they keep dropping signal.

We have 3 laptops, Wii, kindle fire, Nook color, 2 phones, multiple Ipods. The devices keep losing the wireless connection and picking it back up. The router runs on 2.4 and and 5 ghz but none of the devices seem to pick up the 5 ghz. The router is in a central location in the house so it does not seem to be a strength issue.

What is the best way to set up for multiple devices? Should I had another router or extender? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I know enough about networking to be dangerous but not much more)

What do you mean by 'dropping signal'? Can't connect at all? Just cuts out intermittently?

How large is the DCHP range? Some routers come with a default of 10 addresses available which could be causing your problem.

I am currently using a Netgear wndr3400 for my home network and have not had any issues, but as we are adding more wireless devices they keep dropping signal.

We have 3 laptops, Wii, kindle fire, Nook color, 2 phones, multiple Ipods. The devices keep losing the wireless connection and picking it back up. The router runs on 2.4 and and 5 ghz but none of the devices seem to pick up the 5 ghz. The router is in a central location in the house so it does not seem to be a strength issue.

What is the best way to set up for multiple devices? Should I had another router or extender? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I know enough about networking to be dangerous but not much more)
You can "forget" the 2.4 GHz and that should make some devices just do the 5 GHz. I have my laptop on the 5GHz and try and keep the kids stuff on the 2.4GHz. Also, I have a Belkin N with the same dual bands and lately it has been working a lot better since I switched channels on both bands from the defaults.

One other suggestion, especially for the Wii and maybe the laptops if you have docking stations, is to look at the powerline network adapters. I think these are the ones I have: http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-PLA401v4-HomePlug-Powerline-Wall-plug/dp/B0039NM5SK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_2

I have a couple smart TVs, an Xbox and my wife's laptop (it stays pretty much in her office) all hooked up via powerline adapters right to the DSL router and it is really nice. None of those use wireless, which helps. They are also faster than wireless even though the "top" speeds of the wireless may be higher.

What do you mean by 'dropping signal'? Can't connect at all? Just cuts out intermittently?

How large is the DCHP range? Some routers come with a default of 10 addresses available which could be causing your problem.
Some devices will drop signal now and then and pick it back up after just a bit (seems to be the devices that have been on the network the least amount of time)

If I look under the LAN setup it has a starting address of .2 and an ending address of .254, but I don't see anything else for number of addresses

Do you have most up to date firmware? A fireware update might fix drops.

You sure your devices have the technology in them to pick up a 5 ghz signal? Not all do.

Are the devices dropping their signal when there are a lot of other devices using the network or is it all the time no matter what?

My first guess would be that your network is overloaded, and sticking some devices on the other band might help - but that means getting new network adapters or in the case of your Wii and your phones/ipods etc. there's nothing you can do. This is just a guess though. Never seen your problem. I'd consider finding another router to test in its place and see if it performs any better. Ideally the same router model.

Also, a couple notes about wireless signals: appliances like a microwave use the 2400 GHz band as well so something could be interfering with it. The router may be located centrally but if its low like in a basement the signal won't be as strong as it would if it were up high.

I am running the most up to date firmware (it updated this weekend). Everything in my house must use the 2.4 ghz signal because nothing is pulling up the 5 ghz as available ( I have it named differently than the 2.4 ghz. Should I do that or name them the same?)

I am running the most up to date firmware (it updated this weekend). Everything in my house must use the 2.4 ghz signal because nothing is pulling up the 5 ghz as available ( I have it named differently than the 2.4 ghz. Should I do that or name them the same?)
Nope, name them differently. If you're not seeing the 5 then you don't have anything that can pick it up.

I'm having a similar issue. Have a Netgear 600 Dual (2.4 & 5.0) and am having connectivity issues with only certain devices. Apple TV, Wii, laptop have no issues. Iphone 5s and old Ipad (1st gen) also have no issues. However my iphone 5 and just newly purchased Ipad Air having issues. I changed the 5.0 name and try to connect to that but it is still hit or miss on the phone.

Any help out there?

Users who are viewing this thread