What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Without Googling - Do you know who Che Guevara is? Please - no political discussion (1 Viewer)

Do you know who Che Guevara is?

• Definitely I do

Votes: 77 65.3%
  • Pretty sure I do

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Vaguely I do

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Not really but after googling I realized I did know

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not really and after googling realized I didn't know

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • No idea at all, but after googling I realized I did know

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • No idea at all, and after googling realized I didn't know

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Please let's not do any political discussion on this. 

Please keep the discussion just to whether you think most people know who he is without googling. 

That's all I'm trying to get here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but only because I’m over 50, and a political/history junkie. I don’t expect that most people would, or should know. 

As I noted in the other thread, Broadway fans might know because of Evita. 

The other thing I would add is that Che is one of those rare people whose image  is far more recognizable than his name, due to its reproduction on millions of t-shirts, posters, pins, etc. Frieda Kahlo is another one of those. I’m guessing that with both of them, if you showed people the photograph, you would get a lot more recognition: “yeah I’ve seen that person, can’t tell you the name” 

The other thing I would add is that Che is one of those rare people whose image  is far more recognizable than his name, due to its reproduction on millions of t-shirts, posters, pins, etc. Frieda Kahlo is another one of those. I’m guessing that with both of them, if you showed people the photograph, you would get a lot more recognition: “yeah I’ve seen that person, can’t tell you the name” 
That's why I have the options to vote you knew him after googling. 

Collegiate legend?  They wear him on t-shirts on campus all the time. I've looked for him in class, at the co-op, in bushes and streams. Can't ever find him. 

Is he like Bigfoot?  

Judging by the local graffiti and art in Havana I'd say he is still the most revered figure there, closely followed by Hemingway. I wonder if that would be true if he had survived to Castro's age?

Judging by the local graffiti and art in Havana I'd say he is still the most revered figure there, closely followed by Hemingway. I wonder if that would be true if he had survived to Castro's age?
Doubtful. Also Cubans sure have an interesting culture. Che and Hemingway, Marxism and daiquiris. 

Probably not....I had the chance to visit Cuba last year for 3 days. Other than the recently developed areas of Havana is was like being in the 1930s.   My friends daughter is law whose family is from Cuba was with us so we visited her relatives.  All they wanted to ask about was the USA.  The conditions is some areas were horrific...but the people there do not know any other kind of life and are relatively content. The Cubans who left and are in south Florida, they see Fidel Castro through very different eyes. Rather than a loving father, they feel like the Cubans still on the island are suffering some collective form of Stockholm Syndrome, in love with their own abuser. The long weekend of parties in Miami celebrating Castro's death was testament to that.

The sad thing is the people in government live a very good life while the masses struggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not....I had the chance to visit Cuba last year for 3 days. Other than the recently developed areas of Havana is was like being in the 1930s.   My friends daughter is law whose family is from Cuba was with us so we visited her relatives.  All they wanted to ask about was the USA.  The conditions is some areas were horrific...but the people there do not know any other kind of life and are relatively content. The Cubans who left and are in south Florida, they see Fidel Castro through very different eyes. Rather than a loving father, they feel like the Cubans still on the island are suffering some collective form of Stockholm Syndrome, in love with their own abuser. The long weekend of parties in Miami celebrating Castro's death was testament to that.

The sad think is the people in government live large while the masses struggle.
I was in Havana last year for a few days. I agree with everything you said, except I got the opposite impression...many people are out from under the Castro ether. In fact, I was surprised by how many were willing to openly talk about their dislike of the Castros.

In Miami, almost everyone knows who he is. When my ex-wife was in high school in Bolivia she went to one of his secret recruitment events, and described him just as depicted in the Anderson book, disguised as a bald person. But most people know him from the iconic photograph, including one of my daughters who wanted to buy a tshirt to wear in high school. I told her it was a bad idea.

I was in Havana last year for a few days. I agree with everything you said, except I got the opposite impression...many people are out from under the Castro ether. In fact, I was surprised by how many were willing to openly talk about their dislike of the Castros.
I agree with that...but we visited areas away from Havana that do not have any connection about what life is like outside of their area.

Who’s more popular in Miami: Che or Jimmy Buffett? 
Everyone loves the Margaritaville complex on Hollywood Beach FL. Buffet hasn't received much flak from the Cubans I know for his songs or performing in Cuba. The democrats haven't seen him as a liability. 

Probably true, but I'm happily amazed at how many millenials know exactly who Frida is, what she stood for, what she represents, and can even spell her name correctly.

Read the Che biography by Jon Lee Anderson a long time ago.   Great book.

My guess is most of the general public knows almost nothing of substance about him.

Users who are viewing this thread