What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wondering what to talk about over Thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

He's not wrong. It's not about "pushing Obamacare" it's about helping the uninsured get covered. It says that, literally, right on the website:

If you have family members who are uninsured, you can play a big part in helping them find coverage that works for them.

Nothing wrong with that. Anyone who says differently is merely a partisan hack.

He's not wrong. It's not about "pushing Obamacare" it's about helping the uninsured get covered. It says that, literally, right on the website:

If you have family members who are uninsured, you can play a big part in helping them find coverage that works for them.

The problem is that at this point it's a highly politicized topic. At my house I don't want politics discussed at Thanksgiving and I don't care which side of the isle you are on.

What if one of your guests is one of the millions of people who have had there plans cancelled after they were told they could keep them by Obama numerous times? I don't see a talking point for that.

What if one of your guests is one of the millions of people who have had there plans cancelled after they were told they could keep them by Obama numerous times? I don't see a talking point for that.
Oh you mean people who had "insurance"? You know like the lady Fox had on that was moaning about losing her 50 a month "insurance" which didn't cover anything? Nothing. She paid 50 dollars a month for no hospitalization, no prescription help, nothing. She would essentially get 50 dollars back from them should anything happen. Yeah I weep for her and the millions like her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Millions? Granted I refuse to watch any of the "news" stations, but I work in hospitals all day everyday and haven't seen this once. Plenty of things the surgeons whine about regarding ACA... this hasn't come up at all?

I miss the good old days when things were light we were talking about sending kids to die in a war based on bs intelligence and paranoia, rather than getting people who don't have health insurance covered. It's all so heavy and terrifying now.

The problem is that at this point it's a highly politicized topic. At my house I don't want politics discussed at Thanksgiving and I don't care which side of the isle you are on.
So if you know that someone in your family is uninsured, you wouldn't try to help them for fear of... what? Making them angry that there's a solution to their problem? If you heard about a good deal from a private insurer, would you bring that up?

I don't get the mentality that says "I recognize that you have a problem, but I don't want to be uncomfortable so I'm not going to allow discussion about its solution."

So if you know that someone in your family is uninsured, you wouldn't try to help them for fear of... what? Making them angry that there's a solution to their problem? If you heard about a good deal from a private insurer, would you bring that up?

I don't get the mentality that says "I recognize that you have a problem, but I don't want to be uncomfortable so I'm not going to allow discussion about its solution."
The problem is that too many people are both emotional and irrational when discussing politics, and the likelihood that everybody in the room can do it in a measured manner and not bother those who don't want to hear it is very slim. No politics in bars or family gatherings.

The problem is that too many people are both emotional and irrational when discussing politics, and the likelihood that everybody in the room can do it in a measured manner and not bother those who don't want to hear it is very slim. No politics in bars or family gatherings.
I get that, I do. And we don't do politics at my house, either. But what I'm saying is that this isn't political. Doesn't have to turn into a political debate because the debate is over - it's the law, the programs are out there, and people need to be insured.

I've been an Obama supporter but I'm pretty sure he has the worst senior level and extended staff of any president in my lifetime.

I get that, I do. And we don't do politics at my house, either. But what I'm saying is that this isn't political. Doesn't have to turn into a political debate because the debate is over - it's the law, the programs are out there, and people need to be insured.
I didn't know that when things became law, there was no further debate on the subject. You know, things like abortion, gun control, the death penalty....

Not at Thankgiving - happy to discuss it with them 1-on-1 outside that but it's neither the time nor the place. People come to family functions to see family, eat good food and relax, not discuss a hot-button topic that has turned political for a lot of people.

Oh you mean people who had "insurance"? You know like the lady Fox had on that was moaning about losing her 50 a month "insurance" which didn't cover anything? Nothing. She paid 50 dollars a month for no hospitalization, no prescription help, nothing. She would essentially get 50 dollars back from them should anything happen. Yeah I weep for her and the millions like her.
No, the other 999,999 that you didn't cherry pick.

I miss the good old days when things were light we were talking about sending kids to die in a war based on bs intelligence and paranoia, rather than getting people who don't have health insurance covered. It's all so heavy and terrifying now.
Thanksgiving must have been a real hoot for familys during Vietnam.

Fox brought the one person in a million to their show?

Aetna is canceling all private insurance in CA. My wife's ppo perfectly good insurance is no more as of 1/1/14

Other suggested topics would be abortion, the eternal damnation of all non-believers, and if your one middle aged aunt is actually going to be single forever?

Other suggested topics would be abortion, the eternal damnation of all non-believers, and if your one middle aged aunt is actually going to be single forever?
My FIL can't wait to get on me for thinking that the Redskins should change their name. It'll be a hoot.

Aetna is canceling all private insurance in CA. My wife's ppo perfectly good insurance is no more as of 1/1/14
This isn't necessarily directed at you, I don't know where you are on health insurance... But I don't understand the anti-Obamacare folks who abhor the idea of government health care and then complain when a private company cancels them. Are you expecting the government to step in now?

Either you want the government to control healthcare or you don't.

My FIL can't wait to get on me for thinking that the Redskins should change their name. It'll be a hoot.
Oh geez, sounds fun. My wife and I are doomed to be asked if we changed our minds about having kids every family holiday. I'm tempted one year just to give them what they want right on the dinner table.

Oh geez, sounds fun. My wife and I are doomed to be asked if we changed our minds about having kids every family holiday. I'm tempted one year just to give them what they want right on the dinner table.
"make love" to the turkey?

Every year we get the crazy aunt at our house who has 3 grown children with families who don't want to eat dinner with her.

This year it's a little better because she's planning to come over, vs. the 3pm call to my MIL crying and asking for a place to eat.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, I don't know where you are on health insurance... But I don't understand the anti-Obamacare folks who abhor the idea of government health care and then complain when a private company cancels them. Are you expecting the government to step in now?

i was speaking directly to the posts I quoted. but thanks for your concern.

"make love" to the turkey?
Who you callin a turkey? I was talking about stuffing my wife.

Ohhh I'm sure Obamacare's going to be discussed at a lot of turkey tables this year.

The head turkey in chief will especially be discussed.

As for discussing Health Insurance during Thanksgiving, we usually pass on political type conversation. But I do usually check in on family members (especially elders) to see if they're doing OK medically.

The website is somewhat disturbing. I know they're trying to help, but they should leave it to insurance agents and other private parties. It seems forced when it comes from the government, some people don't take kindly to that approach.

As for Aetna, they seized upon the opportunity for certain. Private insurers under Part D pull things like this all the time. Much bigger microscope when dealing with every Americans health insurance.

But it's not like we couldn't have done this in years past. Of course, now we can gather the family around the computer and walk them through their coverage options on Healthcar ...oh, wait, it's not working yet.

Warrior said:
NCCommish said:
Widbil83 said:
:lol: Hopefully he tries to insert that drivel into an adult conversation this Thanksgiving.

Warrior said:
NCCommish said:
Widbil83 said:
:lol: Hopefully he tries to insert that drivel into an adult conversation this Thanksgiving.
Fox brought the one person in a million to their show?

Varmint said:
Everyone in our family at thanksgiving is currently insured. What else can you suggest?
Save it for next year when all of your previously insured guests have lost their insurance when the employer mandate kicks in!
I have been wondering how long it will last. My husbands company covers our full family coverage completely. It costs the same if we had one kid or ten, so we are just trying to get their money's worth for it.

Start by asking: “Have you thought about signing up for health insurance on the new marketplace?”

:lol:

Jesus, this is worse than those crappy colonial penn commercials.

I'd rather eat a vegetarian "tofu turkey" then discuss politics on Thanksgiving with family.

Honestly, this country would be a better place if we took all of the families that are arguing politics on Thanksgiving and moved them to Montana.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be about family...at least that's what I thought it was for.

Regardless, its still a horrible idea. Whomever thought it up - and we all know it wasn't Obama :rolleyes: - needs flogged for attempting to politicize a holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread