What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wonderlic IQ test (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "source" that said Vince Young scored a 6 also said this:

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.
But I can't find any other reports on this.
If Matt Jones can be a 1st round pick I don't see Young slipping out of the 1st IF he is willing to convert to WR.

I do too, but a 6 is the lowest scoreI've EVER heard of. IIRC, Frank Gore got a six but it was mentioned that he has severe learning disability.
If he really did get a 6, maybe Vince Young has a learning disability also.

"If" this "rumor" from a "source" is true shouldn't his success at Texas be viewed at a higher level than it already is. When a short qb does well we say that it is amazing how they overcame their height. When a qb with limited arm strength becomes an all-pro we call him a gutsy competitor. When a quality qb has limited mobility we acknowledge his accuracy and leadership. Vince Young has exhibited many positives as the QUARTERBACK of the longhorns.

Wasn't Pat Haden a rhodes scholar with a storied career at USC? How far did that get him in the NFL?

Last edited by a moderator:
"If" this "rumor" from a "source" is true shouldn't his success at Texas be viewed at a higher level than it already is. When a short qb does well we say that it is amazing how they overcame their height. When a qb with limited arm strength becomes an all-pro we call him a gutsy competitor. When a quality qb has limited mobility we acknowledge his accuracy and leadership. Vince Young has exhibited many positives as the QUARTERBACK of the longhorns.

Wasn't Pat Haden a rhodes scholar with a storied career at USC? How far did that get him in the NFL?
I don't know. But I'm calling :bs: until I see this reported else where.If it is true then Vince, regardless of why (other than a mental illness) needs his ### beat, period. He couldn't not justify such a score.

P.S.

If this is true

:nustradumbass: "The media will make this out of a racial issue" :rant:

Someone asked Vince Young what he was thinking as he took the field with the game on the line.

"Poise," Young said.

You can't see that at the NFL scouting combine. It won't show up on the Wonderlic test. There is only one way to learn what the world learned about Young this week.

Fourth down, 8-yard line, everything on the line.

Young came through. It was his moment. He made it his moment.

— Phil Sheridan, Philadelphia Inquirer
Lucky for him.

Culpepper took it 3 times - 18, 21, 15

Culpepper, who was administered the test three times, had a high of 21 and a low of 15. Because of his academic struggles even to gain admittance to a four-year institution, some teams think the 15 is more realistic.
Brooks (17), McNair (15), Stewart (12), and McNabb (16,12), Blake (17), O'Donnell (13), George (10), Cunningham (15), and Marino (14) were the only successful (at all) QB's I found that scored under 20.
Can I get a link on the McNabb one. I went to college with him and he was not dumb by any means.

anyone know wut ryan leaf got compared to manning?
I've been trying to search it, but near as I can tell neither of them did. It seems Leaf's incredible collapse was what led to an interest in the test

I like how when you click the link, it has a drawing of Marvin Lewis as Sherlock Holmes.

Why do people read that crap?

I like how when you click the link, it has a drawing of Marvin Lewis as Sherlock Holmes.

Yeah, 86 my last comment.... I don't believe anythign that comes off of this website unless I see corroborative proof from a reliable source.I'm with you... I think these guys are the sports equivalent of tabloids.

Yeah, 86 my last comment.... I don't believe anythign that comes off of this website unless I see corroborative proof from a reliable source.I'm with you... I think these guys are the sports equivalent of tabloids.
C'mon, that's good stuff. :D They've been on the money too many times to list in the last 2 years and are always 1 day ahead it seems. They may miss a few by jumping the gun, but I'd rather hear rumors than nothing.

It's infotainment. :thumbup:

The site has been updated - no longer a rumor apparently.

VINCE'S PICK-SIX IS CONFIRMEDWe've confirmed that Texas quarterback Vince Young has indeed scored a measly six on the Wonderlic test, administered annually to the potential members of the draft class at the scouting combine. Said one league insider, "It's also the number of the round he'll be drafted in." There's a significant buzz in Indy regarding the ridiculously low marks. Though we're not quite sure that there's much of a correlation between book smarts and football ability, we've got a feeling that, of all positions, quarterback is the one that requires at least some basic cognitive ability. Unless, of course, the offense consists of making one read and then pulling the ball down and running -- which is the very approach the team that drafts Young might have to employ. Though the suggestion that Young will last until round six is an exaggeration, the thinking is that he lost millions of dollars via his poor performance on the test, and that it's now a virtual certainty that Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler will pass him in round one.
Yikes.

Oh my. The 2 tests posted were easy..Goes to show he didnt have to know anything to go to college. :X Pretty sad if true. I wouldnt pick him in the first round.

Oh my. The 2 tests posted were easy..Goes to show he didnt have to know anything to go to college. :X Pretty sad if true. I wouldnt pick him in the first round.
Wow.... How happy would the Texans be with him sitting there at 2.01?!?!?!?!?

You would think that if Vince Young had an agent with an ounce of foresight. He would have insisted that VY write a practice exam before the combine. After all this will cost him a major chunk of change as well.

You would think that if Vince Young had an agent with an ounce of foresight. He would have insisted that VY write a practice exam before the combine. After all this will cost him a major chunk of change as well.
No it wont. VY draft status will not change. I would put money on it. Even if this story is true. That test means very little to anyone's success.

Not to mention if a third rate group of losers like PFT got the story, you would think a reputable source would have heard it as well.....

Im not buying it.

Young still had the take the SAT and do fairly well to get into Texas.

Not to mention if a third rate group of losers like PFT got the story, you would think a reputable source would have heard it as well.....

Im not buying it.

so did Kentucky basketball player, eric manual.................

I do too, but a 6 is the lowest scoreI've EVER heard of.  IIRC, Frank Gore got a six but it was mentioned that he has severe learning disability.
If he really did get a 6, maybe Vince Young has a learning disability also.
I being dumb a learning disability?

Im not buying it.

Hmmmm.

BTW - LoL @ Young had to get a good SAT score to get into Texas.

Ok, who's being dumb now?

It looks like what they say about the U-Texas is true. ;)

I find the score hard to believe, but it wouldn't be the first abysmal score.
This obviously shows you know nothing about the University of Texas. Maybe you are confusing it with the Texas A&M or something but you are wrong. No one has ever said anything like that about the University of Texas, it is actually a lot harder to get in to than you know. Atleast know a little about the stuff you are spouting off about before you make a moronic comment about it.
It's funny that you would defend UT's academic standards while having the word "thang" in your avatar.

Im not buying it.

look, i realize that you are a texas guy, and thats fine. However, you have to be pretty blind to not see how a guy like young could squeeze his way into a big time D1 program. If i recall, the clearing house(the institution that determines eligibilty) works on a sliding scale. When i was in HS(roughly the same time as young) you only needed like a c average if you got an 850 on your SAT's. 850 is like write your name and answer 3 questions per section. if you can manage to get 4 questions right per section and get a 900, you only need a c-minus. The fact that he got into texas proves nothing about how smart he is. Nothing against texas, but you'd have to be either borderline ######ed or intentionally trying to be ruled ineligible. How far will this drop him in the draft? hard to say. I hope its not at all, since i dont want him falling to the Jets at # 4. The last thing they need is a moron for a QB. He's obviously got talent, but its really looking like his phsyical and mental weaknesses were covered up in college. The NFL will be a very rough transition for a guy like him.

Regardless...with all the media hype and attention on Vince, some owner will draft for team $marketing$. I see Bidwell as someone who'll take him in a heartbeat. Imagine, the whole of texas tuning in to watch Arizona.

:X A freakin 6 ....... A r#tard could score just as well. What does this say about america. :bag:

Its obvious that with a score of 6 Young learned nothing in college and in HS ... just another guy getting by with physical talent...................and not mental talent thats for sure!

If I was an NFL franchise I would not draft this guy. Why would you want the face of your franchise to be an idiot? Cutler, I may have doubted you, but I now think you should move ahead of vince.

Im not buying it.

Hmmmm.
dexter manley would be an extreme example how you cannot make assumptions

If this does indeed knock Young out of the top 5 (and off Tennessee's radar), I'm thinking the Titans try to swap picks with Houston so they can grab Leinart. Something like this should certainly break any "ties" in their decision of who to target.

If this does indeed knock Young out of the top 5 (and off Tennessee's radar), I'm thinking the Titans try to swap picks with Houston so they can grab Leinart. Something like this should certainly break any "ties" in their decision of who to target.
Trading up? I doubt it. The Tight'ns don't have any history of trading up and have a long history of trading down and stockpiling picks. If anything, this might impact who they focus on at #3. They just might look a trading down a few spots to grab Cutler, although with Cutler's stock rising so rapidly, they might not be able to.

Im not buying it.

:wall: I'm sure it's all a ruse and he is really a genius.

After all, only PFT is reporting it and they are NEVER right.

Im not buying it.

:wall: I'm sure it's all a ruse and he is really a genius.

After all, only PFT is reporting it and they are NEVER right.
Wasn't totally running down profootballtalk.com as mere rumormongers like sooo two years ago?

i remember when he was in town for the super bowl. he was being interviewed on the radio and pronounced football "FOO ball" i thought maybe it was a regiona/raciall barriar i had built with my own life issues, but apparently there was more

No it wont. VY draft status will not change. I would put money on it. Even if this story is true. That test means very little to anyone's success.
Hey Homer, will you be defending your position this strongly if Adrian Peterson tanks the Wonderlic next year? Or will you be the first one in here howling about how "stupid" a guy is based on his score?Just curious.

You would think that if Vince Young had an agent with an ounce of foresight.  He would have insisted that VY write a practice exam before the combine.  After all this will cost him a major chunk of change as well.
Good one. This box of rocks is just what every team wants running their complicated offense. The o-coordinator will have to draw a diagram of every play on a napkin so this clown can understand what play to run. The team that grabs this loser will regret it and be set back 5+ years.

Alex Smith's Wonderlic success hasn't been much to hang his hat on.

I think it's funny how people all the time complain that scouts and player personnel need to stop looking at the numbers, and they never factor in intangibles like leadership and heart. VY looks like an off the charts intangibles guy, and I expect him to succeed in the NFL. Colin said awhile ago that Young will probably have a steep learning curve, and that may still be true: but he could turn out to be a great one.

As stupid as Vince Young is, he was one of the few people in this country who knew the Heisman Trophy went to the wrong guy. ;)

Im not buying it.

Agreed. I wouldn't ever suspect a program like Texas to bend a couple of rules for eligibility purposes.

Im not buying it.

Agreed. I wouldn't ever suspect a program like Texas to bend a couple of rules for eligibility purposes.
You're kidding right?Ricky Williams ring a bell?

Simply a misinformed statement to think any major athletic program isn't bending (if not flat out breaking) rules for the benefit of their department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread