What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World Cup 2022 Qualifying (1 Viewer)

Surely there is a better time than 10 minutes after kick-off...

Spurs "sources" (I.e. spurs fan on the internet) says that the Brazilian authorities tried to tell Argentina not to play the 4 PL players, but that Argentina stayed in the locker room and refused to negotiate.

:shrug:   (Not sure what there is to negotiate - either they were banned from entering. the country or they were not.)

Surely there is a better time than 10 minutes after kick-off...
Quick googling seems to say Brazil does in fact have a 14 day quarantine for anyone that has been in the UK.  But the timing is sure suspect and I’m guessing wasn’t followed for the summer tournament either.

I thought Guinea-Morocco getting postponed due to a coup was strange but Brazil-Argentina tops it the same day.

Ongoing thread of events

https://twitter.com/EiFSoccer/status/1434602309456105474

9. Anvisa officials and federal police took to the sideline to chat to the Argentinian FA.

10. After discussions with the Argentina sideline, Anvisa officials and federal police marched onto the field and halted the match.

11. Argentina players walked off the pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Guinea-Morocco getting postponed due to a coup was strange but Brazil-Argentina tops it the same day.

https://twitter.com/EiFSoccer/status/1434602309456105474

9. Anvisa officials and federal police took to the sideline to chat to the Argentinian FA. 10. After discussions with the Argentina sideline, Anvisa officials and federal police marched onto the field and halted the match. 11. Argentina players walked off the pitch.
This thread is amazing :lmao:

EiF@EiFSoccer·

15m

6. As is customary of São Paulo, traffic from the team hotel where Anvisa officials were was awful and they were stuck in traffic, delaying their arrival to the stadium.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
This sport..............you think you have seen every crazy thing possible and then some one just says "hold my beer"

This is a good point :)

==============

John Muller

@johnspacemuller

Two months after Brazil forced these teams to play the Copa América even though the teams (citing COVID concerns) didn't want to, Brazil (citing COVID concerns) is shutting down a qualifier the teams had happily kicked off. What.

If they were supposed to quarantine, didn't disclose their UK ties when they entered the country, were told not to play in the game ahead of time and then took the field anyhow?

Brazil's not really in the wrong on this one IMO.

If they were supposed to quarantine, didn't disclose their UK ties when they entered the country, were told not to play in the game ahead of time and then took the field anyhow?

Brazil's not really in the wrong on this one IMO.

Yes/no/Maybe.

FIFA/CONMEBOL/Brazilian FA can't have federal officials invade the pitch post-kick-off to find and deport Argentinian players.

This was clearly a known issue leading up to the kick-off - Brazil and CONMEBOL would have known who was on the roster for Argentina.  Failing to deal with that issue before the match started is where this went wrong.

Rodriquez with a horrible giveaway and then penalty.  Jorginho with his stupid hop PK technique and Sommer easily saves the PK.  

Switzerland with a lot of "professional" fouls stopping attacks. But not getting carded for any of them. So not surprising they keep doing it.

ETA -- 13 fouls so far barely into the 2nd half and only 1 yellow (pretty obvious yellow).

The new Swiss coach looks like a Bond villain.  I know we say that a lot but this one really does.

Rob Harris @RobHarris · 3m

Brazil-Argentina game is off today: CONEMBOL says referee and match delegate will now submit a report to FIFA's disciplinary committee

It's a FIFA game as it's a World Cup qualifier.

Eephus said:

roger bennett

@rogbennett

·

1m

Incredible: Morocco’s National Team flee Guinea where they were to play Monday because of apparent Coup. This was scene as they evacuated hotel to head to the airport. Further proof that Global Football just a mirror that reflects the world around it

https://twitter.com/rogbennett/status/1434622315749416962

Panama up 2-0 vs Jamaica at the half, I think away in Jamaica.

I figured Panama was done and buried this cycle- had them pegged to finish last. Had Jamaica as pushing for the 4th spot w/ El Salvador. Not sure if Jam is without their England based players again here.

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread