What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst features on cars (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
I have long thought that cars have too many features that I personally find to be completely pointless, and I am mad I have to pay more for a car simply because you can't get them without these features.

I have a 2020 Honda CRV.  I have the cheapest one you can get, and the stupid thing still has a million features that I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

However, there is one current feature that I detest.  Apparently if you press the unlock button on your key fob and then hold it, all the windows go down.  I have now gone out to my car at least 4 times to randomly find my car sitting there with all the windows down.  Once after some rain.  Everything was damp.  So stupid.

I have watched some YouTube videos, and on certain cars this feature can be turned off.  Apparently on my vehicle it can't.  

I want to punch a kitten right now.  This is the dumbest thing ever.

Cars that shut off as soon as you stop then restart. 
Yeah. We have a rental now while a car gets fixed and that feature is fine if people want it.  But it shouldn’t be the default that I have to turn off.  
There is a stop sign near our house with limited visibility of traffic coming from the left.  When there is an opening you have to commit to going.  And of someone comes flying around the corner from the left, that hesitation from pushing the gas to it starting again and going could be dangerous 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got two, both related to the doors.  

1. The doors relocking if you don't open them after a certain amount of time.  Sometimes I'll unlock the car from inside the house if, say, I want to grab something from the car while I'm working in the yard so I don't want to take keys with.  By the time I get to the car it's locked again.

2.  The cars that if you press lock on the fob while a door is open, instead of locking the doors it makes an annoying noise to let me know that a door is open.  I know the stupid door is open, I just want everything locked and I shouldn't have to wait until the last kid gets out of the car to do so.   :hot:

I just want everything locked and I shouldn't have to wait until the last kid gets out of the car to do so.   :hot:
It amazes me how long it takes some able-bodied people to get out of a car.

Edit- @Dr_Zaius I open my door and wait for everyone else to open theirs, then I push the lock all button on the door. 

Apparently if you press the unlock button on your key fob and then hold it, all the windows go down.  I have now gone out to my car at least 4 times to randomly find my car sitting there with all the windows down.
Well quit holding down the button to roll down the windows.

My cars have that feature and I have never had it happen randomly as you describe.  What do you do that causes the button to get pressed for a few seconds randomly?

Touch screens for temperature controls.  I miss having the dials.    So much easier to just reach over without looking and quickly go from hot to cold or from blowing out the top vents vs bottom.   Its really a safety hazard trying to adjust this stuff when driving.

Warnings to check the back seat of the car for children every time I turn off the car. Gets old quick. 

I have long thought that cars have too many features that I personally find to be completely pointless, and I am mad I have to pay more for a car simply because you can't get them without these features.

I have a 2020 Honda CRV.  I have the cheapest one you can get, and the stupid thing still has a million features that I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

However, there is one current feature that I detest.  Apparently if you press the unlock button on your key fob and then hold it, all the windows go down.  I have now gone out to my car at least 4 times to randomly find my car sitting there with all the windows down.  Once after some rain.  Everything was damp.  So stupid.

I have watched some YouTube videos, and on certain cars this feature can be turned off.  Apparently on my vehicle it can't.  

My last two cars were Accords.  This is one of the best features.

Replacing tactile controls with touch screen menus on the infotainment display. 

Switching from one radio station to another should be doable with a single push and not taking your eyes off the road. 

Not navigating through three layers of menus on a touch screen. 

I have 3 vehicles. All over 20 years old.

Automatic transmissions and automatic windows are features that annoy me.

2 of the vehicles are basically to drive until I can get my '01 Toyota Echo back up and running (it's been a year). I love that car for so many reasons, but I miss the manual transmission the most. I'd never driven an automatic as a daily driver until it went down. It's horrible. 

Manual transmissions are going from a needle in a haystack to completely extinct soon, I'm sure, because Americans are idiots. But I'm not ready for it.

I'm sure these newfangled cars today have great automatic transmissions. I'll try one out in about 30 years and report back. 

Well quit holding down the button to roll down the windows.

My cars have that feature and I have never had it happen randomly as you describe.  What do you do that causes the button to get pressed for a few seconds randomly?
Sitting or leaning with the keys in my pocket??  Who knows.  It's a stupid feature.  

The risk is not even remotely close to the reward of this feature.

You actually have to press then press and hold.  

As gally said I have owned a Honda since 2006 all with these features. Not once has this happened by accident :lol:

My Ford keeps telling me that the door is a jar.  Bull####! It's a door. Not a jar. No idea why my car lies to me.
I used to know a woman whose car did the same thing. Every time I saw her my standard greeting to her was "A door is a jar". She thought it was funny at first but then she started getting angry.

The sensitive window control.

Down just a little, no...Down all the way. Ok, up a little...whoop, just a lil more--all the way to the top....Down, down, just a lil flick CRAP! 
I have a 2018 Highlander that does this. I have come to accept that I will never have the windows at the exact height I want them. 

Adam Corolla mentioned this and I have to agree with him.  I’m 6 foot 2 and am a bigger guy in general—and I can’t stand how most car doors don’t have many adjustments to how wide the door stays open.  You push a car door open to the first “click” and it’s not wide open enough for a lot of people to get out.  You push it out to the second click—and it’s sooo wide open that you are unable to get to the second click if there is a car parked next to you.  It would be nice if automakers just made it so that car doors could be propped open at around 4-5 different clicks. 

I have 3 vehicles. All over 20 years old.

Automatic transmissions and automatic windows are features that annoy me.

2 of the vehicles are basically to drive until I can get my '01 Toyota Echo back up and running (it's been a year). I love that car for so many reasons, but I miss the manual transmission the most. I'd never driven an automatic as a daily driver until it went down. It's horrible. 

Manual transmissions are going from a needle in a haystack to completely extinct soon, I'm sure, because Americans are idiots. But I'm not ready for it.

I'm sure these newfangled cars today have great automatic transmissions. I'll try one out in about 30 years and report back. 

I really miss having a clutch.  So many performance cars now just put in paddle shifters and call it a day.  It's just not the same.

I love my heated seats, my cool seats my heated steering wheel......love it all!*!#!#

Lane drift assistance is an instant turnoff unless I'm driving on long trips

Power windows. The motors inside are like $400 to replace. When one of mine went out I seriously asked if they could just replace it with a crank. 
Same.

I’ll add power lift gates and minivan doors. Had both door motors/wiring quit on a minivan a few years back. And lift gate? That’s just one more thing to break. 

Adam Corolla mentioned this and I have to agree with him.  I’m 6 foot 2 and am a bigger guy in general—and I can’t stand how most car doors don’t have many adjustments to how wide the door stays open.  You push a car door open to the first “click” and it’s not wide open enough for a lot of people to get out.  You push it out to the second click—and it’s sooo wide open that you are unable to get to the second click if there is a car parked next to you.  It would be nice if automakers just made it so that car doors could be propped open at around 4-5 different clicks. 
Maybe if he switched from Corolla to Camry - or even Lexus, he wouldn’t have that problem.

Touch screens for temperature controls.  I miss having the dials.    So much easier to just reach over without looking and quickly go from hot to cold or from blowing out the top vents vs bottom.   Its really a safety hazard trying to adjust this stuff when driving.

Yes...while one of our cars has been being worked on...my son has been driving my wife's minivan.  While not touch screen, its more buttons and setting temp and so on.  He will be happy going back to a car with the simple...hot or cold dial, dial the fan level up, and dial for defrost or feet or front vents.  I do prefer the simplicity of that (and its a pretty clean look in the car too).

Of course saying that, Im about to install a touch screen Apple Car play unit in the used Camry we just bought.  So I will go away from simplicity when it comes to the radio.  But that is more to make sure its fully hands free with phones as my daughter will likely be learning to drive in this car.

Replacing tactile controls with touch screen menus on the infotainment display. 

Switching from one radio station to another should be doable with a single push and not taking your eyes off the road. 

Not navigating through three layers of menus on a touch screen. 
With what I just posted above...this is an annoyance as I search for an aftermarket head unit.  

The full touch screen units absolutely annoy me.  I want a few buttons and a volume knob.  But its hard to get that without getting an older cheaper model (with a bad screen) or the giant ones that don't quite fit right in the space for the radio in my car (in the camry, the larger units would block the middle vents).

You basically have to chance it on a cheap chines made thing with these dash pieces and hope it lasts...or deal with just the steering wheel controls.  Frustrating as some of the older versions (if you can find them) still had physical buttons and knobs to make it easier....but still the functionality of apple car play and getting to use Waze on the screen.

You actually have to press then press and hold.  

As gally said I have owned a Honda since 2006 all with these features. Not once has this happened by accident :lol:
I think it happened yesterday when I was sitting with my son in our recliner.  So dumb. 

It only takes once to ruin the car in a storm because my 6 year old wants a hug.  Ugh

I think it happened yesterday when I was sitting with my son in our recliner.  So dumb. 

It only takes once to ruin the car in a storm because my 6 year old wants a hug.  Ugh
Here’s a hint. Take your keys out of your pocket as you enter your house. They make all sorts of dishes, hooks, drawers, tables and even counter tops that are able to support the weight of those keys. Do you have a pouch you wear to shower with the keys? Do you put your keys in your next day’s clothes when you go to sleep or change?

This whole thread could have been avoided with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TZZSVT5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FQV7RQH04ZRFZNCYMAKH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've got two, both related to the doors.  

1. The doors relocking if you don't open them after a certain amount of time.  Sometimes I'll unlock the car from inside the house if, say, I want to grab something from the car while I'm working in the yard so I don't want to take keys with.  By the time I get to the car it's locked again.

2.  The cars that if you press lock on the fob while a door is open, instead of locking the doors it makes an annoying noise to let me know that a door is open.  I know the stupid door is open, I just want everything locked and I shouldn't have to wait until the last kid gets out of the car to do so.   :hot:
Yes doors  auto-relocking after the car is put in drive or after it's parked or after a certain amount time passes. Also key fobs that require multiple presses to unlock the doors or open the trunk, only the driver door unlocks after a single press.

It's like whoever made these design decisions was paranoid about being carjacked or having their passengers jump out of the car.

Both of these features are perfectly fine if the user wants them, but this should never be enabled by default. The default setting should be the driver presses the unlock button once and everything unlocks and nothing relocks unless the driver pushes a button again. 

Yeah. We have a rental now while a car gets fixed and that feature is fine if people want it.  But it shouldn’t be the default that I have to turn off.  
There is a stop sign near our house with limited visibility of traffic coming from the left.  When there is an opening you have to commit to going.  And of someone comes flying around the corner from the left, that hesitation from pushing the gas to it starting again and going could be dangerous 
Yes same with unlocking/relocking doors. It shouldn't be the default setting that the user has to turn off. Like you said, it's actually a safety hazard if you need to get going again quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread