What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst features on cars (1 Viewer)

Based on your earlier posts, I don’t think you’ve got a new dangled fob that opens windows. A key doesn’t do anything but sit in your pocket.
Haha. Very true. Never touched a fob. And this thread is certainly not putting me in any hurry to move in to this century on car tech (sort of. based on my ignorant opinion gas powered vehicles peaked somewhere in the  2003-2007 range). 

But anyway, when I say "key", I mean a FBG/modern man's "fob". 

What's next, if you sit in the TV remote for two seconds all the windows in your house open?

Anticipated response, "well why are you sitting on the remote?"
in the context of how old we all are and i'm pretty sure everyone in FFA for a reasonable amount of time has lived the life before internet, errr... before computers, this is freaking hilarious.

The foot under the tailgate thing to open/close the back hatch of a SUV/Minivan.  I wear size 12's and that thing only seems to work when I'm loading stuff and accidentally set it off so it closes on me.  If my arms are loaded with groceries it never works and I'm looking like a 1 legged idiot in the grocery store parking lot.

Is having keys in your pocket some radical thing now? 

I get that a lot of people might toss them when they walk in the door, but a pocket seems like a perfectly reasonable place to keep keys.

It certainly doesn't make someone so irresponsible that they deserve to have their car flooded.

I don't make a habit of carrying my keys around, but there are times where I do have them in my pocket and my '20 Kia Sorento's key fob thingy has a real sensitive "emergency" button that makes the horn honk and lights flash.  I probably hit that button once a month on accident and I gotta go fumbling for my keys to turn it off.

I'm not one of those "Anti-Seatbelt" nuts, I'm really not. But if you would have told me that in the 2020's seatbelts would STILL be this uncomfortable I would have thought you were nuts. I'm a little taller than usual and drive mostly Japanese cars so maybe they are designed to be comfortable for shorter drivers but it's still crazy to me that this thing has to rub against my neck the entire time I'm in a car. 

I would have thought by the year 2000 that you would sit down and the belt would just kind of wrap around you like you were an F1 driver or something and be hardly noticeable while you were driving. There have been cars with 3-point seat belts standard since the 1950's(!?!) and how much have they really improved since then? If they honestly can't improve upon what Volvo did in the 1950's just admit that and move to explosive packing peanuts on impact instead of a inflatable pillow punching you in the face. 

The seatbelt should either be improved or replaced with something safer AND more comfortable at this point. The only reason we put up with these ###### uncomfortable seatbelts imo is that we all just grew up with them so we don't notice how uncomfortable they are.

I'm not one of those "Anti-Seatbelt" nuts, I'm really not. But if you would have told me that in the 2020's seatbelts would STILL be this uncomfortable I would have thought you were nuts. I'm a little taller than usual and drive mostly Japanese cars so maybe they are designed to be comfortable for shorter drivers but it's still crazy to me that this thing has to rub against my neck the entire time I'm in a car. 

I would have thought by the year 2000 that you would sit down and the belt would just kind of wrap around you like you were an F1 driver or something and be hardly noticeable while you were driving. There have been cars with 3-point seat belts standard since the 1950's(!?!) and how much have they really improved since then? If they honestly can't improve upon what Volvo did in the 1950's just admit that and move to explosive packing peanuts on impact instead of a inflatable pillow punching you in the face. 

The seatbelt should either be improved or replaced with something safer AND more comfortable at this point. The only reason we put up with these ###### uncomfortable seatbelts imo is that we all just grew up with them so we don't notice how uncomfortable they are.
Do you adjust the height attachment on the door frame?

Agreed. It's the same with windshield wipers. You would think that by now they would make a wiper that could actually serve it's intended purpose and last longer than a few months before streaking and making noises while also failing to wipe away all of the water. This seems to be more of an issue on domestic cars. 

Agreed. It's the same with windshield wipers. You would think that by now they would make a wiper that could actually serve it's intended purpose and last longer than a few months before streaking and making noises while also failing to wipe away all of the water. This seems to be more of an issue on domestic cars. 
You think windshield wiper manufacturers want you to only have to purchase their product once every 20 years or something? Not a great business model.

Do you adjust the height attachment on the door frame?
That's a good question, but I have. It's not like I'm Andre the Giant or something but it never makes much of a difference in my attempts. 

I feel like fundamentally the restraint system should be built into the seat rather than using the door frame at all if I'm being honest. 

Maybe it would be a 4 point or even a 5 point restraint system that all attached directly to the seat. It's just very difficult for me to believe that the system developed in the 1950's was the absolute zenith of safety and comfort design.

At least with this one I think you can elongate the life of a pair of windshield wipers a bit by simply having a small piece of sandpaper in your glove box. When the rubber on the blade starts to wear(usually due to exposure to hot/dry weather which leads to cracking and/or warping) you can sand them down just a bit and they work much closer to a new pair.

Not saying it works forever but in my experience you can make them work like new ~5 times as long with a little maintenance with sandpaper.

At least with this one I think you can elongate the life of a pair of windshield wipers a bit by simply having a small piece of sandpaper in your glove box. When the rubber on the blade starts to wear(usually due to exposure to hot/dry weather which leads to cracking and/or warping) you can sand them down just a bit and they work much closer to a new pair.

Not saying it works forever but in my experience you can make them work like new ~5 times as long with a little maintenance with sandpaper.
This made me remember my father wiping the wiper blades with an alcohol wipe. Going to try and salvage some more life from my $75 wiper blades

Brownsfan said:
This made me remember my father wiping the wiper blades with an alcohol wipe. Going to try and salvage some more life from my $75 wiper blades
$75? Damn. I buy our Michelin ones at Costco. They go on sale a lot for about $7 a piece, so $14 for both. I think $9 a piece is the normal price. Work well and easy to put on. Only issue is that they don’t carry the rear ones and all four of our cars have them.

$75? Damn. I buy our Michelin ones at Costco. They go on sale a lot for about $7 a piece, so $14 for both. I think $9 a piece is the normal price. Work well and easy to put on. Only issue is that they don’t carry the rear ones and all four of our cars have them.
I couldn't believe it either. Auto Zone wasn't even the most expensive option. Was hoping to get a couple years , now hopng to make it until next winter

NutterButter said:
Absolutely love adaptive cruise control on long drives.  Can mostly just sit in the left lane without any foot on the pedals and just let the car adjust the speed automatically.   One of my favorite new features.   
The adaptive cruise control is awesome however the bolded is just wrong.  Get out of that lane dammit! 

Plus it's a cool game to see how close you can get to the car in front of you in the right lane before you have to move out to pass without the adaptive CC slowing you down.  

I couldn't believe it either. Auto Zone wasn't even the most expensive option. Was hoping to get a couple years , now hopng to make it until next winter
Don’t know if you have a Costco near you but as I said they had nice Michelin wiper blades on sale for $7 a piece. I bought them a few weeks ago so likely back up $2-3 a piece. You can buy 4 to 5 pairs for $75. I probably spend too much there but they do have really good prices. You just don’t have to 10 types of wiper blades.

Don’t know if you have a Costco near you but as I said they had nice Michelin wiper blades on sale for $7 a piece. I bought them a few weeks ago so likely back up $2-3 a piece. You can buy 4 to 5 pairs for $75. I probably spend too much there but they do have really good prices. You just don’t have to 10 types of wiper blades.
That wiper blade sale is like watching a bunch of piranhas in the Amazon. Total chaos when they bring that pallet out.

Best deal in the world.

My kid put the fob for the Toyota 4Runner through the washer and dryer.  It's dead.  These things are stupidly overpriced to replace.

Sunroof.  Costs more, might leak, lets the sun hit me from annoying angles, and if you open it, it just adds sound and screws up your climate control.  The only positive is about once every 3 years when you point at a hawk or the moon through it.
I love my power sun/moon roof.  I open that sucker up pretty much anytime I drive during the day/early evening if it's not ridiculously hot out, which is rare for SoCal.  It was a must-have for me with my new vehicle.

I love my power sun/moon roof.  I open that sucker up pretty much anytime I drive during the day/early evening if it's not ridiculously hot out, which is rare for SoCal.  It was a must-have for me with my new vehicle.
What do you like about it?  It's loud and you have climate control.

ghostguy123 said:
I am being victim blamed.  Holy ####### ####
I'm not crabbing at you per se but for sure my accord had this. 

1. I never had it happen by accident.

2. I used it once in a while on a hot day to lower the cabin temp before I left to commute home. Granted, I can see my car from my office window and there's a 0.0005% chance of vehicle shenanigans where you are.

I'm fully on team# WTF why are the doors locked all the time and I have to pull the handle twice if I'm lucky enough to have remembered my wife's key fob while retrieving #### from her car? Agree with upthread comments, have the dealer show you how to enable that feature. DO NOT ship me my car that way, I will never use that feature or figure out how to turn it off.   

x1000 yes. My new Forrester's sunroof is like half the length of the roof. There are days when the sun baking your head or the noise are no bueno but most of the time it's magical having daylight inside the car and fresh air on the 15 days in Vermont when it's nice out. 

I love telling the SoCal auto dealers, I don’t a #### about a sunroof and I refuse to pay for it. Saved me 6k on the wife’s Mercedes because there were zero models in SoCal without one. 😂😂🤣🤣😂😂

still got the sunroof. 😎😎

rarely use it. 😎😎

I don't have a garage princess and have to park outside. On a hot day I need to be able to roll down all the windows quick before everyone gets in the vehicle. I am a huge fan of the feature and have never had any issues with my key fob rolling them down while in my pocket.

I don't have a garage princess and have to park outside. On a hot day I need to be able to roll down all the windows quick before everyone gets in the vehicle. I am a huge fan of the feature and have never had any issues with my key fob rolling them down while in my pocket.
That's great.  The feature itself isn't the issue, it's the inability to turn it off, because it's obviously a problem for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostguy123 said:
I have long thought that cars have too many features that I personally find to be completely pointless, and I am mad I have to pay more for a car simply because you can't get them without these features.

I have a 2020 Honda CRV.  I have the cheapest one you can get, and the stupid thing still has a million features that I have no idea what they do or how to use them.

However, there is one current feature that I detest.  Apparently if you press the unlock button on your key fob and then hold it, all the windows go down.  I have now gone out to my car at least 4 times to randomly find my car sitting there with all the windows down.  Once after some rain.  Everything was damp.  So stupid.

I have watched some YouTube videos, and on certain cars this feature can be turned off.  Apparently on my vehicle it can't.  

I want to punch a kitten right now.  This is the dumbest thing ever.
After reading this thread, I tested it out on my Accord///it worked!  all the windows rolled down!  awesome.

What sucks, though, is that I can't roll them all up with one button.  I had to put the keys back in, and roll them up manually.  Of course, I missed one so one window stayed down all night last night.  Good thing it didn't rain.

Sunroof.  Costs more, might leak, lets the sun hit me from annoying angles, and if you open it, it just adds sound and screws up your climate control.  The only positive is about once every 3 years when you point at a hawk or the moon through it.
Totally agree and will add that the last thing I want is more sun beating down on my balding scalp.

I think VCM or any Variable Cylinder management/deactivation has been horrible. Anything that shortens the life of an engine to get a couple extra miles a gallon is terrible.

Ya just can't buy cars anymore without all those silly features.

I wanna get me a geo metro.  3 cylinder manual transmission.  Manual everything.  60 miles per gallon. Zero frills.  

If only some car company could figure out how to be profitable making/selling these.  No dealerships, just ship to the owner.

I wanna get me a geo metro.  3 cylinder manual transmission.  Manual everything.  60 miles per gallon. Zero frills.  

If only some car company could figure out how to be profitable making/selling these.  No dealerships, just ship to the owner.
been thinking about a motorcycle for my daily commute.  I drive about 15 miles each way with no highway.   That accounts for probably 90% of my driving.  60-70 mpg sounds pretty sweet, and it would be easy to park.  Only thing - I don't really care to be exposed to the elements for my commute, especially the hot Carolina sun in the summer.  

What do you like about it?  It's loud and you have climate control.

I like the sunshine and open-air feel.  I would never own a convertible, however.

I still blast my a/c, though.  :lol:   

Alibaba

Push button start vehicles that don't require a key to be in the ignition have now bitten me twice.  Wife and kids were going to a birthday party last weekend.  Hot as blazes outside, so I grabbed her keys from her purse, put them in my pocket, and went out to her car to crank it and get the A/C going for them.  Forgot to put the keys back in her purse.  They leave, go to the party, and she calls me two hours later because she has no keys and the car won't crank.  So I then have to drive 30 minutes to take her the dang keys.  

Totally my fault, I know...but if the key was required to be in the ignition LIKE EVERY CAR SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE AUTOMOBILE, then she'd have the damn keys and they wouldn't get forgotten

Push button start vehicles that don't require a key to be in the ignition have now bitten me twice.  Wife and kids were going to a birthday party last weekend.  Hot as blazes outside, so I grabbed her keys from her purse, put them in my pocket, and went out to her car to crank it and get the A/C going for them.  Forgot to put the keys back in her purse.  They leave, go to the party, and she calls me two hours later because she has no keys and the car won't crank.  So I then have to drive 30 minutes to take her the dang keys.  

Totally my fault, I know...but if the key was required to be in the ignition LIKE EVERY CAR SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE AUTOMOBILE, then she'd have the damn keys and they wouldn't get forgotten
Agreed.  Seems like a simple mistake such as that could lead to a serious issue, possibly even safety issue depending where stranded

Users who are viewing this thread