What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst features on cars (1 Viewer)

Push button start vehicles that don't require a key to be in the ignition have now bitten me twice.  Wife and kids were going to a birthday party last weekend.  Hot as blazes outside, so I grabbed her keys from her purse, put them in my pocket, and went out to her car to crank it and get the A/C going for them.  Forgot to put the keys back in her purse.  They leave, go to the party, and she calls me two hours later because she has no keys and the car won't crank.  So I then have to drive 30 minutes to take her the dang keys.  

Totally my fault, I know...but if the key was required to be in the ignition LIKE EVERY CAR SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE AUTOMOBILE, then she'd have the damn keys and they wouldn't get forgotten
My car alerts that the keys aren’t in the car and will actually turn off if it gets too far away and or the keys aren’t in the car for X amount of time. The trunk  will not close if the keys are in the trunk as well. 

My car alerts that the keys aren’t in the car and will actually turn off if it gets too far away and or the keys aren’t in the car for X amount of time. The trunk  will not close if the keys are in the trunk as well. 
Same here.  I like not having my keys having to plug in anywhere.  Just throw them in the little tray adjacent to the cup holder and fire 'er up.

fruity pebbles said:
Cars that shut off as soon as you stop then restart. 

This is especially annoying in hot weather.  I usually turn my off every time I get in the car, but sometimes forget.  Nothing like sitting at a long red light and having your vents blowing warm air when it's 100+ outside.

Wait… are you sure it just shuts off? Seems unsafe to the point of impossible.

Push button start vehicles that don't require a key to be in the ignition have now bitten me twice.  Wife and kids were going to a birthday party last weekend.  Hot as blazes outside, so I grabbed her keys from her purse, put them in my pocket, and went out to her car to crank it and get the A/C going for them.  Forgot to put the keys back in her purse.  They leave, go to the party, and she calls me two hours later because she has no keys and the car won't crank.  So I then have to drive 30 minutes to take her the dang keys.  

Totally my fault, I know...but if the key was required to be in the ignition LIKE EVERY CAR SINCE THE INVENTION OF THE AUTOMOBILE, then she'd have the damn keys and they wouldn't get forgotten
I dropped my wife off at the airport and she was 1/2 way into the terminal before I realized why the car was beeping at me - she had the "key" in her pocket, about to leave for the weekend.  THAT would have been fun.

I loathe push-button starts. I also loathe push-button hatch open/close - but that's mainly because morons in my life start tugging/pushing on it after the button has been pushed and end up wrecking it to where it won't close no matter what you do. And I have to call NASA to get it set back to normal operation.

We're doomed.

Sunroof.  Costs more, might leak, lets the sun hit me from annoying angles, and if you open it, it just adds sound and screws up your climate control.  The only positive is about once every 3 years when you point at a hawk or the moon through it.
I love my power sun/moon roof.  I open that sucker up pretty much anytime I drive during the day/early evening if it's not ridiculously hot out, which is rare for SoCal.  It was a must-have for me with my new vehicle.
Yea, sunroofs are great. I have never known one to leak. And climate control? Do we really need our car to be exactly 65 degrees or whatever it is when driving? Get some fresh air. Stick your head up there and see some ####.

Wait… are you sure it just shuts off? Seems unsafe to the point of impossible.
I’m not positive. But was told this when I purchased the car. I’ll try it out in the neighborhood. It does seem quite unsafe. 
It is stupid.  We have a KIA hybrid.  The gas engine shuts off and it goes to electric while we wait.  This causes no safety issues at all.  Having the car shut all the way off is just insane.

Just went to lunch with a buddy who bought a new Lexus RX, convinced him to let me drive it the ~8 miles back to the office.  Had to pull over and disable the lane assist thing.  Any slight drift towards either side of my lane and the thing is vibrating the steering wheel and actively turning the wheel against me, felt like I was fighting a ghost to try and drive the whole time.  Any little bit away from being perfectly centered in your lane and it starts buzzing and moving you....how about you just let me drive please. 

Probably a great thing to save some lives but having never had that in a vehicle before it felt really bizarre

Last edited by a moderator:

If only you had known that you could have just sat on her purse and rolled down the windows! 😃 

Joking aside, I love the push button but I know what you are talking about. I honestly never use my wife’s keys partially for that reason. I have the extra keys in a kitchen draw so I always use the extra key for my wife’s/son’s car. Even if I did start their cars, they’d have their key.

I’m not positive. But was told this when I purchased the car. I’ll try it out in the neighborhood. It does seem quite unsafe. 
It should shut off the engine. My wife’s Jeep has it but also has a button right on the console to turn it off. I hate it in traffic so I always turn it off but I don’t mind it at lights.

It starts up instantly and as soon as you lift you foot a little off the break so I’ve never not felt safe and it takes a hard stop and a heavy foot to turn off. It’s very easy to slow roll and not have it shut off. If you slow roll, it never shuts off until you have gone a bit and brake again. Again, my experience in my wife’s Jeep, other cars may not have the easy turn it off button or need the hard stop to engage.

Yea, sunroofs are great. I have never known one to leak. And climate control? Do we really need our car to be exactly 65 degrees or whatever it is when driving? Get some fresh air. Stick your head up there and see some ####.
I was never a Jeep guy but I enjoy my wife’s and she absolutely loves it. She’d always wanted a convertible and there just aren’t many practical ones. We got it, thankfully at the end of 2020 when $5k under MSRP was actually still a thing, and the best feature we got was the power roof. One button and the top is gone. It’s like having a convertible with the windows down and you still have four doors and solid trunk space.

It is stupid.  We have a KIA hybrid.  The gas engine shuts off and it goes to electric while we wait.  This causes no safety issues at all.  Having the car shut all the way off is just insane.
I was responding to him saying that if you don't have the key in his pushbutton start car, it shuts off after some amount of time or miles.

How are you getting your head out a sunroof while driving?

I loathe push-button starts. I also loathe push-button hatch open/close - but that's mainly because morons in my life start tugging/pushing on it after the button has been pushed and end up wrecking it to where it won't close no matter what you do. And I have to call NASA to get it set back to normal operation.

We're doomed.

My daily driver is Ram 1500.  It's a loaded model with more crap than anyone needs, including a touch screen that's bigger than my ipad.  But that's what you get if you want leather and navigation.  You get the package that has the sunroof, airbags for height control, lane assist, steering wheel warmer, and in-cab ambidextrous hand-jobs.

The tailgate has an electronic latch that only works if the fob is within a certain range.  When stick your hand up there where the latch normally would be and touch it, the locking mechanism frees up and the tailgate lets itself down slowly.  You can also let the tailgate down from the fob without touching it.  Neat, right?  Now imagine electronic latch mechanism fails and you can't get your tailgate down.  And just for giggles, imagine that the dealer doesn't have the part in stock and don't know when they will get it.  Fun stuff.  I mean how hard was it to operate a G##d##n tailgate?  I'd like to find that ##### who thought that was a good idea and kick him square in the nuts.

So it requires that you violate the law at every stop sign?  That's not good.
Jumping to conclusions a bit, aren’t we? I didn’t say do illegal things and roll through a stop sign. You just have to slow roll your stop. The Jeep requires a firm brake/I’m stopped before it shuts down the engine. Sort of like coming to a stop at a light. If you slowly roll to a stop like you are in moving traffic where you sometimes stop, it doesn’t shut off the engine even when you do stop. It’s very easy to control if you don’t want it to shut off by stopping slowly. Maybe other cars have itchy trigger fingers and turn off anytime you come to a stop regardless of how you stopped. The Jeep also has a button right on the center console to turn off the feature anytime, so it rarely bothers us. 

You haven't lived until you are driving 75 on the freeway with your head out the sunroof. :)
I like the idea of a sunroof but I don't want birds to get any pooping ideas. They already seem to hate my car, an opening would be like a game of flying cornhole to them.

My vehicle has the shut down while stopped feature (also the shut down fob thing but not talking about that) and there is a button to turn it off if need be. But I like the way our car implemented it. The brake needs to be pressed firmly down, if you lift up on the brake the engine goes back to normal. And I don't mean lift up you start moving, I mean back to it's "normal" pressed stop position

My CRV does the auto stop things. It's dumb.  The car shuts off for like 3 seconds or so each time because most of the time it's a short stop before going again.   Seems like a huge waste, and yes it's also very stupid that you have to shut it OFF each time you drive as opposed to turning it on.

It almost got me creamed the other day.  I was pulling out on to a busy road, and when I went to accelerate there was that extra second pause to wait for the car to restart.  Dumb.

Ya just can't buy cars anymore without all those silly features.

I wanna get me a geo metro.  3 cylinder manual transmission.  Manual everything.  60 miles per gallon. Zero frills.  

If only some car company could figure out how to be profitable making/selling these.  No dealerships, just ship to the owner.
Yeah. Or the little 2 wheel drive Toyota trucks from years past (though with power steering and AC.  Not those base ones with no power, no AC and super hot vinyl seats.

My CRV does the auto stop things. It's dumb.  The car shuts off for like 3 seconds or so each time because most of the time it's a short stop before going again.   Seems like a huge waste, and yes it's also very stupid that you have to shut it OFF each time you drive as opposed to turning it on.

It almost got me creamed the other day.  I was pulling out on to a busy road, and when I went to accelerate there was that extra second pause to wait for the car to restart.  Dumb.
That’s really poor design. Like @belljr said, ours is instant and comes back on as soon as you lift the brake a bit. It also will not turn off until your next actual stop, meaning if you are at a light and you accidentally turn the engine back on, it’s on even if you creep forward and stop again and again. It doesn’t turn off again until you’ve done some real moving. His appears to have the same button off feature so if you get to a busy road you either push that button or lift the brake a little and there will not be another stop until you are on that busy road. Ours is really easy to control like that so it never feels unsafe and it turns on really quickly.

My daily driver is Ram 1500.  It's a loaded model with more crap than anyone needs, including a touch screen that's bigger than my ipad.  But that's what you get if you want leather and navigation.  You get the package that has the sunroof, airbags for height control, lane assist, steering wheel warmer, and in-cab ambidextrous hand-jobs.

The tailgate has an electronic latch that only works if the fob is within a certain range.  When stick your hand up there where the latch normally would be and touch it, the locking mechanism frees up and the tailgate lets itself down slowly.  You can also let the tailgate down from the fob without touching it.  Neat, right?  Now imagine electronic latch mechanism fails and you can't get your tailgate down.  And just for giggles, imagine that the dealer doesn't have the part in stock and don't know when they will get it.  Fun stuff.  I mean how hard was it to operate a G##d##n tailgate?  I'd like to find that ##### who thought that was a good idea and kick him square in the nuts.
If one drives a  DODGE RAM I assume one is manly enough to operate a tailgate. 

After reading this thread, I tested it out on my Accord///it worked!  all the windows rolled down!  awesome.

What sucks, though, is that I can't roll them all up with one button.  I had to put the keys back in, and roll them up manually.  Of course, I missed one so one window stayed down all night last night.  Good thing it didn't rain.
Can confirm that my 05 CRV does not have this ability.

Considering I bought it in 08, it’s probably for the best. Might have had to light it on fire, considering there were two summers I went without working AC before being forced to replace the compressor because it was physically coming  apart and screwing up the belt.

Jumping to conclusions a bit, aren’t we? I didn’t say do illegal things and roll through a stop sign. You just have to slow roll your stop. The Jeep requires a firm brake/I’m stopped before it shuts down the engine. Sort of like coming to a stop at a light. If you slowly roll to a stop like you are in moving traffic where you sometimes stop, it doesn’t shut off the engine even when you do stop. It’s very easy to control if you don’t want it to shut off by stopping slowly. Maybe other cars have itchy trigger fingers and turn off anytime you come to a stop regardless of how you stopped. The Jeep also has a button right on the center console to turn off the feature anytime, so it rarely bothers us. 
Cool, but that seems like a lot more thought required than just not having that "feature" at all.

Cool, but that seems like a lot more thought required than just not having that "feature" at all.
Meh, I like it. $4.19 a gallon here so sitting at a stop light for 2 minutes is fine for it to stop. Again, there is a button a few inches from the steering wheel that turns it off for that drive so it’s ridiculously easy. Some cars don’t have that and seem to stop at every stop, but our Jeep is very easy and works well enough that either we don’t care or if you do, hit the button. My car doesn’t have that and it still doesn’t bother me because it was designed well. 

That’s really poor design. Like @belljr said, ours is instant and comes back on as soon as you lift the brake a bit. It also will not turn off until your next actual stop, meaning if you are at a light and you accidentally turn the engine back on, it’s on even if you creep forward and stop again and again. It doesn’t turn off again until you’ve done some real moving. His appears to have the same button off feature so if you get to a busy road you either push that button or lift the brake a little and there will not be another stop until you are on that busy road. Ours is really easy to control like that so it never feels unsafe and it turns on really quickly.
hmm. I wonder how this works in my yet to be owned Infiniti. I didn’t notice it when I test drove. But I know it has the feature and requires you to turn it off each time you start the car. 

hmm. I wonder how this works in my yet to be owned Infiniti. I didn’t notice it when I test drove. But I know it has the feature and requires you to turn it off each time you start the car. 
Definitely worth trying. Jeeps aren’t the most fuel efficient so I like the feature but it works well. I’ve heard friends with GM trucks say they hated it so much they returned it but you couldn’t turn it off and knowing GM it probably wasn’t a great design. 

Ya just can't buy cars anymore without all those silly features.

I wanna get me a geo metro.  3 cylinder manual transmission.  Manual everything.  60 miles per gallon. Zero frills.  

If only some car company could figure out how to be profitable making/selling these.  No dealerships, just ship to the owner.
Some version of that works in pretty much every country in the world. 

Except the US, of course. We're idiots.

US car buying culture explains a lot about this country.  Just looking at the debt alone. 

We've reached a point in this country where the major American auto makers don't even bother making a basic sedan anymore. Partially because they suck at it, but mostly because Americans don't want them (Tesla being the exception at the moment. But even there Americans didn't want EVs until they became status symbols).

When you think about it not much is really changed from 50 years ago, when sensible cars were called "rice burners" and all anybody wanted to drive was a ridiculous 24-ft 2-door car that made no practical sense in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a brand new car for 7 grand with poor horsepower, no power anything, small, manual, and 65 miles per gallon.

If the cheapest new kia Rio is 20 grand and still has like 700 features, they can make this happen, right?  Right???

As Steve Martin said in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles....."four ####### wheels and a seat"

Users who are viewing this thread