What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst Moves You've Made This Season? (1 Viewer)

MCguidance

Footballguy
What are the worst moves you have made this season? I know there are always those moments when you think you have made the great trade only to see it backfire later or guys you let go really take off. It's part of the game, it's basically pointing to the shirt.

This year was the best draft I've ever had, and I have partly crapped it away, though I am in first, points leader, blah blah blah, I still feel that sometimes we all overanalyze, make moves prematurely, etc.

I'll start it off. Three weeks ago I traded away Thomas Jones and Kellen Winslow for Chris Johnson. I thought I was upgrading at RB and had Owen Daniels at TE. I sacraficed a bit of depth for what I thought was a better RB option in my PPR league. I have been wrong so far, that's for sure. Probably making it worse is that this trade was with my brother, ha. You win some, you lose some.

In a close second was trading away Roddy White for Colston after Colston got hurt. I thought I could patch together a WR3 until week 10 with two very good WRs in Fitz and Marshall. I did, and Colston was better than White in my PPR league last week. But I still should have trusted my draft better than I have.

What are the lessons here? (besides being a bad FF player/stupid owner). Do better research? Trust your gut? Trust your draft?

MC

-----------

ETA: Here is the Best Moves Thread so people can find it a bit easier: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=440514

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the worst moves you have made this season? I know there are always those moments when you think you have made the great trade only to see it backfire later or guys you let go really take off. It's part of the game, it's basically pointing to the shirt. This year was the best draft I've ever had, and I have partly crapped it away, though I am in first, points leader, blah blah blah, I still feel that sometimes we all overanalyze, make moves prematurely, etc.I'll start it off. Three weeks ago I traded away Thomas Jones and Kellen Winslow for Chris Johnson. I thought I was upgrading at RB and had Owen Daniels at TE. I sacraficed a bit of depth for what I thought was a better RB option in my PPR league. I have been wrong so far, that's for sure. Probably making it worse is that this trade was with my brother, ha. You win some, you lose some.In a close second was trading away Roddy White for Colston after Colston got hurt. I thought I could patch together a WR3 until week 10 with two very good WRs in Fitz and Marshall. I did, and Colston was better than White in my PPR league last week. But I still should have trusted my draft better than I have. What are the lessons here? (besides being a bad FF player/stupid owner). Do better research? Trust your gut? Trust your draft? MC
Drafted Forte and then watched his O-line stink in the preseason. He also hit the holes slow in preseason. Reminded me of Benson preseason. So when the Bears first round O-Lineman (Williams?) was placed on IR - I thought I needed another QB (passing TDs 6 points). I'm not regretting picking up Warner for Forte, but finding a second RB to go with Gore is a nightmare. I guess my leasson learned is if a player/team stinks in the preseason, that does not equal stink in the season.

Sending a 1st rounder and Berrian for Housh about week 3. Palmer hasn't played since and Berrian had 4 straight games with a TD after I traded him. And I thought I was getting a steal...

Dropped Deangelo Williams early in the year. Someone had dropped him earlier, I picked him up, he did nothing the following week so I cut him loose. Still hoping he starts to suck so I feel some vindication....LOL I hate that guy.

Not all in one league, thank God

- Drafted something called Vernon Davis in a redraft

- Dropped G. Olsen after week 2 (redraft). Been chasing points at TE ever since

- Traded for Braylon Edwards

Pending...

- Packaged Thomas Jones in a deal to acquire Reggie Bush for a PPR redraft title run. We shall see.

Going to be hard to top me giving up Warner (I have Cutler as well) for Felix Jones after week 1 when I thought Barber might be out, and who knew how Arz Qbs would for sure play out. Trade looked okay for about two days, but Barber played week 2, and well... Warner has been unreal. I hate to think what I "could" have gotten for him now.

Outright dropped Matt Jones in a couple leagues - 3 weeks ago - expecting a suspension. Thought he'd be reinstated in time for the playoffs and I could pick him back up during his suspension (about now).

ETA - both dynasty. :thumbup:

Traded J.Campbell after week 2 - didn't trust him to ever come around - for Hass. Also on my roster... Palmer & Edwards. Later picked up Grossman & Hill. Thank God I was able to score Thigpen this week on waivers! :homer:

Rejected a dynasty PPR offer. Could have had Marshall for T.O. :fishy: - later turned T.O., Holt & Winslow into 'Quan though :no:

Sending a 1st rounder and Berrian for Housh about week 3. Palmer hasn't played since and Berrian had 4 straight games with a TD after I traded him. And I thought I was getting a steal...
I feel your pain.I dropped Berrian after he had no catches in Week 2. :goodposting:

I didn't take an offer of Cotchery & Gus F for Holmes & Schaub. Schaub got hurt & I dropped Holmes. Didn't hurt my team any, but still.

I also traded Randy Moss for Burress earlier this year. Again, not huge b/c Moss hasn't done much, but maybe I should have kept him.

Drafted Mendenhall & F. Jones over Forte & C. Johnson

Drafted Brady #12 overall. Cut Cassell in week 3 or 4 when Schaub started playing well. Turned down this offer: LBJ and Roy Williams for TO. Next year's gonna be my year though...I can feel it.

I've got some pretty bad ones...

Traded Desean Jackson and Reggie Bush pre-season for Marvin Harrison and Willis McGahee =(

Traded Calvin Johnson early in the season for Braylon Deadwards

"threw in" Kevin Walter and Matt Jones in a trade early in the season on top of a trade just to get a deal done that was already fair to begin with.

Traded Warner for Kellen Winslow a couple hours before it was announced that Romo was out for a month. Then I watched Kellen Winslow rot on my bench alongside Romo, with a staph infection and suspension.

1. Traded Slaton for Gerrard after Brady went down.

2. Dropped DeAngelo Williams for Mewelde Moore (short term gain: good; long term, not so much...)

3. Dropped Steve Breaston in PPR after Boldin came back. Didn't need him, but another team currently reaping the benefits.

4. Held on to Hasselback til week 9. Dropped him right as he comes back.

I don't know how these will all play out, but have determined in years past that one player (or two or three) won't make or break a season. One move begets another...I finally dropped Maroney last year for RGrant...that worked out ok.

My biggest regret is not trying to move McFadden a little harder. I own him in a redraft and Keep 3 (both PPR) and i kept hearing about how he has a cake schedule Week 10 and on...unfortunatley I doubt he will be on the field to enjoy said "cake" schedule, but I should have just cut bait and taken something a little more reasonable for him.

In a return yardage league, I have dropped each of the following:

Steve Breaston :lmao:

Josh Cribbs :goodposting:

Ted Ginn :lmao:

Luckily I was able to pick up Ted Ginn again. I'd won Cribbs in our auction and dropped him early because he was injured. I picked up Breaston, but he didn't light it up right away and Kevin Walter was available, so I made the switch. Ted Ginn I held the longest and only dropped for about two weeks before picking him back up again.

And all this time I was starting Braylon Edwards at WR. :lmao:

I traded Ocho Stinko and Maroney for Boldin and Ronnie B.....

YAHTZEE!!!!

In the same league, team A traded Jacobs to team B for Ocho, LOL!!!!

My worst move was my most of my rookie draft.

So here are my draft picks versus the players I was also considering at those picks:

Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB Long, Chris STL DE ....... Johnson, Chris TEN RB or Ryan, Matt ATL QBGholston, Vernon NYJ LB .. Mayo, Jerod NEP LB or Lofton, Curtis ATL LBSweed, Limas PIT WR ...... Avery, Donnie STL WRHester, Jacob SDC RB ..... Hightower, Tim ARI RBRucker, Martin CLE TE .... O'Connell, Kevin NEP QBCoutu, Brandon SEA PK .... Forsett, Justin SEA RBSo if I went with my second choice at each spot, my draft would be one of the best rookie drafts ever in my league.
Code:
Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB Johnson, Chris TEN RBMayo, Jerod NEP LBAvery, Donnie STL WRHightower, Tim ARI RBO'Connell, Kevin NEP QBForsett, Justin SEA RB
Also, in FA, I got into a bidding war over Brandon Lloyd, and he got hurt right after. And then I got into a bidding war with Steve Breaston when Boldin got hurt, but started running out of money because of what I threw at Lloyd and jumped out.But I'm still in pretty good shape despite those eff ups.

My only regret so far was dropping Ronnie Brown the weekend that he scored 52 FF points on the Patriots. Luckily I won that week and he has not been a superstud every week on, but still, would have been nice to have him lighting up in my line-up that week.

Thinking I stole S Jax/Edwards for L White and R Moss

S Jax has played 1 game for me.

although I was able to move Edwards with some other players for Cutler

Cut Tyler Thigpen after he was removed from the starting QB position the first time

Dealt Thomas Jones for a 1st round rookie pick (week 4, I think)

Drafted both Carolina RB's, dropped DeAng when bye weeks hit

Dropped MeMo between when FWP was said to be returning that week and the hole incident

Dropped BGE after his 9 carry/16 yd/1 TD debut in the league I dealt Jones away, my replacement starters have been terrible

I was high in Greg Jennings and drafted him in a dynasty league. After reading his thrad this preseason I thought maybe the masses knew something I didn't - since everyone was chriping about how overrated he was, how last year was a fluke, etc etc - so I traded him for Chris Perry.

That hurt.

League 1 (where I have made the most mistakes):

- Had extra picks and used them on WR's like Ocho Cinco and Holt, instead of Boldin, the other C.Johnson, R.White, etc

- Someone dropped Winslow and I didn't pick him up, keeping Shockey instead. The main competitor in my division got him.

League 2:

- Chris Johnson went undrafted and instead of picking him before week 1, I picked up Ray Rice.

Traded:

Boldin

R.Moss

Winslow

For:

Fitzgerald

Dallas Clark

Still have R.White, A.Johnson and Fitz at WR but probably would've been sweeter to have Boldin in there.

I ignored the writing on the wall, selecting Edge in the second round of a keep-4 draft, so essentially, a sixth round player/pick over the second guy I had queued up, Chris Johnson, whom I believed in thoroughly. I was out in the 3rd and 4th rounds from trades, so I knew it was now or never and still took Edge as I preferred a veteran with a favorable bye week to back up my younger franchise backs.

Now, while this was an egregious error on its own, I made matters worse later in the draft when I gambled that Hightower, another guy I believed in to a degree, would slip one more round (late) and instead of locking up the AZ backfield, took Maurice Morris, whom I thought could wrest the starting job from Julius Jones.

While you can't predict Morris getting hurt in Week One, I don't know what I was thinking passing on HT when the remaining crop of the draft at that point screamed for someone to stockpile him. It was a bad move. Instead of just building solid depth from a win-win standpoint (either James has one more good to great season or HT takes over) I went with the diverse portfolio option and did so with a stock - Morris - that wasn't exactly blue chip. Dumb move.

Lesson to be learned: A) go with your gut. If you like a rookie over a questionable vet, take him. B) If you take a fading vet and his apprentice with legitimate upside is availabe at a reasonable price/round, just take that guy instead of gambling he'll keep falling because you're the only "genius" who knows who he is.

Drafting Selvin Young as my RB3 in the 5th round.
I did the same thing, but that ended up being my best move because through a series of well-timed trades I turned him into Kurt Warner, Colston, and McGahee.As far as my worst move, it was insisting on taking Chambers instead of Royal in a trade after week 3.

In a 14 team, league where RBs are scarce I turned down a trade..a team offered me Brandon Jacobs for Earnest Graham and Edge. Two weeks later Edge is benched and Graham is hurt. :o

Cut Tyler Thigpen after he was removed from the starting QB position the first time

Dropped MeMo between when FWP was said to be returning that week and the hole incident

Dropped BGE after his 9 carry/16 yd/1 TD debut in the league I dealt Jones away, my replacement starters have been terrible
So the moral of the story is to not take your advise in the ACF. :thumbup:

I've got some pretty bad ones...

Traded Desean Jackson and Reggie Bush pre-season for Marvin Harrison and Willis McGahee =(

Traded Calvin Johnson early in the season for Braylon Deadwards

"threw in" Kevin Walter and Matt Jones in a trade early in the season on top of a trade just to get a deal done that was already fair to begin with.

Traded Warner for Kellen Winslow a couple hours before it was announced that Romo was out for a month. Then I watched Kellen Winslow rot on my bench alongside Romo, with a staph infection and suspension.
Winner :popcorn: The last one would be a contender, but is recoveable w/ Romo's return.

So the moral of the story is to not take your advise in the ACF. :thumbdown:
I'm new here, ACF? :confused:

I traded Kurt Warner and Roy Williams for Matt schaub and Torry Holt I already had phillip rivers I dropped Schaub for Kyle Orton. I just lost first place last week and guess who beat me the Kurt Warner owner doh!!

Thought I was selling high after week 3 in my dynasty league.

I traded Rivers and Turner for Eli, MJD and McFadden.

So the moral of the story is to not take your advise in the ACF. :clyde:
I'm new here, ACF? :popcorn:
Assistant Coach Forum... see my sig. Sorry, thought you may just be a new profile for an old member - for all the disscussion you bring to the college prospect threads.

In one league, where do I start?

First 11 picks were R Moss, Lynch, Housh, McGahee, Bush, Burress, Garrard, Edge, V Young, Scheffler, Reggie Brown. How's that for a horrible draft? Tons of injuries and major suckitude.

I also turned down an offer that featured T Jones and Burress......

In my other league, it's drafting Edwards, Holt, and Roy Williams as my top 3 WRs.....oops....since very few in that league trade, I can't move either Warner or Cutler for a good WR........no one will part with a top 15 WR. I am not going to just give away either of those QBs.

Drafted Eddie Royal (good move), only to cut him prior to going off in Week 1 for Kevin Curtis (bad move), who is still rotting on my bench.

I was high in Greg Jennings and drafted him in a dynasty league. After reading his thrad this preseason I thought maybe the masses knew something I didn't - since everyone was chriping about how overrated he was, how last year was a fluke, etc etc - so I traded him for Chris Perry.That hurt.
Should have read that official greg jennings thread, there were many of us thinking the guy is for real

after brady got hurt, bidding more for cassel than warner in my dynasty league. ended up having to trade turner for bress because of it. -2 for tunrovers and I just didn't think warner would make it through the year was the reasoning at the time, stupid..

So the moral of the story is to not take your advise in the ACF. :clyde:
I'm new here, ACF? :bs:
Assistant Coach Forum... see my sig. Sorry, thought you may just be a new profile for an old member - for all the disscussion you bring to the college prospect threads.
Oh, gotcha. I've followed football for as long as I can remember and have always enjoyed the scouting prospects aspect of the game, but never really dabbled into any message boards until I got a desk job in which I don't have much work to do. Now I'm here.As for the Asst. Coach forum, I'm a believer in everyone making their own decisions. I will offer my opinions on players (college, pro, in jail, selling cell phones - my unsolicited slam of Tinker Bell for the day) but I prefer to leave lineup decisions to owners, the best way to become a solid fantasy football player is trial & error. I'd think it'd be the best way to enjoy it too, nothing would suck more than to lose a game because you trusted someone else's gut feeling. If I'm going to lose I want it to be because of my bad decision, not someone else's.

Both in the same league:

Traded Thomas Jones, Steve Breaston and LeRon McClain for Joseph Addai, Dominic Rhodes, and Correll Buckhalter (I had Westbrook and he was hurt at the time).

Thought I was getting a steal on Addai. Boy.....

Also, about a week ago (before the news of his injury), I traded Kurt Warner and John Carlson for Clinton Portis and Gary Brackett. I had Eli as a backup and have a good feeling about him for the stretch run. I picked up Hass and Orton just in case.

But both of these have made it harder to win now :D

I ALMOST (thankfully almost) traded:

Adrian peterson and garbage for:

Thomas Jones

Braylon

Witten

Anderson

This is a keeper league. I was pissed because All Day had a few bad weeks in a row. Thankfully the other owner rejected it (I realize that Jones is good but in keeper it is no question)

But then I rejected Jones and Witten for Marsuck... oh welll

During my drafts, I had Kevin Smith and Matt Forte ranked similarly, with Smith slightly higher. PPR leagues. Both rookie RB's, both supposedly the new starters for their teams. So I went with Kevin Smith.

D'oh!

2 QB league: drafted Tom Brady and Peyton Manning at the 12/1 turn.

Dynasty league: traded Eddie Royal and Lee Evans for Randy Moss and Kirk Morisson.

Trade that I regret:

Sent E Royal & GB Def for D Keller & Drew Bennett

Then cut Keller after week 1

This is league with very restrictive roster rules. Due an injury to M. Colston, I was desparate for a wide receiver. I dropped running back C. Johnson to pick

up a wide receiver. My other running backs were Clinton Portis, Marshawn Lynch and Matt Forte.

The way he is playing, I should have dropped Lynch.

I'm 9-1 in this 14 team PPR league, but I'm already a bit scared after I made these trades (mostly based upon the schedules from 14-16, I've already locked up #1 seed):

Traded T.Jones + Calvin FOR Tomlinson

then traded Chris Johnson + Kevin Smith FOR Adrian Peterson.

:lmao: I need LT to wake up.

Users who are viewing this thread