What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst new head coaching hire? (1 Viewer)

Worst new head coaching hire?

• Art Shell - Raiders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **** Jauron - Bills

• Mike McCarthy - Packers

• Total voters

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
None of the three hires make a whole lot of sense to me, honestly.

I voted Shell, FWIW. :bag:

And the absolutely absurd hiring of OC Tom Walsh makes it that much worse.

Mike McCarthy, and it isn't even really close
Only a Bills fan could find the positive in **** Jauron. Sorry Aaron.
not crazy about that hire either, but what has McCarthy done to warrant a head coaching job?
Obviously, there were better choices than McCarthy out there, but I always like seeing a new guy get a shot rather than a horrible retread like Jauron. McCarthy had his problems, but he still put together a string of successful offenses in NO. Id rather see what he can do as an HC than watch what Jauron will do to the Bills.

Obviously, there were better choices than McCarthy out there, but I always like seeing a new guy get a shot rather than a horrible retread like Jauron.  McCarthy had his problems, but he still put together a string of successful offenses in NO. Id rather see what he can do as an HC than watch what Jauron will do to the Bills.
I felt EXACTLY the same way until I saw Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey coach like they were in completely over their heads the past 5 years. Now I think maybe a retread isn't so bad as long as the person doesn't repeat the same mistakes he made last time (i.e., stubbornly sticking with John Shoop). I have a feeling Gregg Williams will do a great job next time he gets a head coaching job, but he was a major flop in Buffalo when you consider they could have had Marvin Lewis or John Fox. Bottom line is you can never really tell whether a new guy will do better than a retread. There are some retreads who do much better the second time around...and there are plenty of new guys who flame out horribly never to be heard from again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, there were better choices than McCarthy out there, but I always like seeing a new guy get a shot rather than a horrible retread like Jauron.  McCarthy had his problems, but he still put together a string of successful offenses in NO. Id rather see what he can do as an HC than watch what Jauron will do to the Bills.
I felt EXACTLY the same way until I saw Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey coach like they were in completely over their heads the past 5 years. Now I think maybe a retread isn't so bad as long as the person doesn't repeat the same mistakes he made last time (i.e., stubbornly sticking with John Shoop). I have a feeling Gregg Williams will do a great job next time he gets a head coaching job, but he was a major flop in Buffalo when you consider they could have had Marvin Lewis or John Fox. Bottom line is you can never really tell whether a new guy will do better than a new guy. There are some retreads who do much better the second time around...and there are plenty of new guys who flame out horribly never to be heard from again.
I hesitate to post this, but hopefully I have enough credibility here to not get laughed at too much.A good friend of mine has family that is related to the Jauron family, and from speaking with them, he is under the impression that much of the reason Jauron took the job was $$$$. Said he wasnt completely into taking the job, but the financial aspects were too good to pass up.

What does that mean? Probably nothing, but I found it interesting. Certainly isnt what I would want to hear as a Bills fan hoping for some sort of turnaround after the last couple years.

I felt EXACTLY the same way until I saw Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey coach like they were in completely over their heads the past 5 years. Now I think maybe a retread isn't so bad as long as the person doesn't repeat the same mistakes he made last time (i.e., stubbornly sticking with John Shoop). I have a feeling Gregg Williams will do a great job next time he gets a head coaching job, but he was a major flop in Buffalo when you consider they could have had Marvin Lewis or John Fox. Bottom line is you can never really tell whether a new guy will do better than a new guy. There are some retreads who do much better the second time around...and there are plenty of new guys who flame out horribly never to be heard from again.
I hesitate to post this, but hopefully I have enough credibility here to not get laughed at too much.A good friend of mine has family that is related to the Jauron family, and from speaking with them, he is under the impression that much of the reason Jauron took the job was $$$$. Said he wasnt completely into taking the job, but the financial aspects were too good to pass up.

What does that mean? Probably nothing, but I found it interesting. Certainly isnt what I would want to hear as a Bills fan hoping for some sort of turnaround after the last couple years.
for better or worse, he was apparently the guy Marv wanted for the job. Bills fans just have to hope that Marv is a better judge of coaching ability than Donahoe was.

Has to be Mangini, NYJ.

Too young, to in-experienced, surrounded with the same.

This guy is going into the "Eye of The Hurricane" and will have a tough go of it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

As stated before :goodposting: This guy has done absolutly nothing every where he has been. He was terrible in NO, terrible in SF and he will be terrible in GB.

If only we had made that field goal... things would be so much different.

Well, we've tried a defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator with no luck. I don't think **** can do much worse...

+--------------+----------+ | Reg. Season | Playoffs |+----------+--------------+----------+| Year TM | W L T | W L |+----------+--------------+----------+| 1999 chi | 6 10 0 | 0 0 || 2000 chi | 5 11 0 | 0 0 || 2001 chi | 13 3 0 | 0 1 || 2002 chi | 4 12 0 | 0 0 || 2003 chi | 7 9 0 | 0 0 || 2005 det | 1 4 0 | 0 0 |+----------+--------------+----------+| TOTALS | 36 49 0 | 0 1 |+----------+--------------+----------+
Code:
Team rankingsPT = points, Y = yards, A = attempts, YA = yards per attempt+----------+--------- Offense --------------+-------- Defense --------------+----+|          |- TOT --|--- Rush --|--- Pass --|- TOT--|--- Rush --|--- Pass --| OUT|| Year  TM |  PT  Y  A  Y YA TD  A  Y YA TD | PT  Y  A  Y YA TD  A  Y YA TD |  OF|+----------+--------------------------------+-------------------------------+----+| 1999 chi |  26  8 26 26 23 31  1  3 21  6 | 21 30 18 23 28 16 27 28 21 22 | 31 || 2000 chi |  28 24 20 21 15 29 16 24 30 29 | 20 16 23 19 10 23 14 16 18 24 | 31 || 2001 chi |  11 27  7 17 27 12 15 28 29 12 |  1 13  3  2  4  2 31 29 13  1 | 31 || 2002 chi |  27 29 30 32 30 29 20 24 29 16 | 25 25 31 26 15 10 18 24 24 22 | 32 || 2003 chi |  24 29 18 18 19 18 18 29 31 30 | 22 12 15 16 17 19 23  9  5 18 | 32 ||*2005 det |  28 27 23 26 25 23 14 26 30 26 | 21 20 24 24 23 20 10 13 21 15 | 32 |+----------+--------------------------------+-------------------------------+----+
On second thought :X Here's too 3 - 5 more years of taking it in the pooper. :thumbdown:

:toilet:

As stated before :goodposting: This guy has done absolutly nothing every where he has been. He was terrible in NO, terrible in SF and he will be terrible in GB.
Terrible in NO...yeah...I hate OCs that put up top 10 offenses...he was also pretty good as a QB coach in KC...and I would not immediately say terrible in SF just looking at a ranking. Look at the other factors...taking over a team that was 2-14 with a brand new HC...roookie QB, then another rookie QB...no running game, no real WR threat, and a poor defense. Tell me someone who would have success in that?

I think all three of these are potentially disastrous, but the Shell hiring speaks volumes. Sure, we all get caught up in how great it is to see Shell back in the NFL coaching ranks. But honestly, Shell is the Raiders head coach because virtually no other qualified candidate wanted the job. And for a guy like Shell, who's been out of coaching for awhile, to bring in Walsh as his OC? Baffling.

I actually thought Marinelli in Detroit has a lot of disaster potential. But the fact is, we really have no idea how someone will turn out. Andy Reid looked like a big time reach with Philly hired him and he is now considered one of the top HC in the NFL.

Has to be Mangini, NYJ.

Too young, to in-experienced, surrounded with the same.

This guy is going into the "Eye of The Hurricane" and will have a tough go of it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Coming from Herm, anything is a breath of fresh air....At least Mangini has coached 1 side of the ball before - At least he has a reputation of a good football mind... I'm convinced Herm knows very little about the X's and O's of football and is nothing more than hopefully a motivator...

I also think players get motivated enough by hearing a coach who knows what he's talking about and comes up with good game plans instead of Babble and Cliche's... Herm is not a game planner - Maybe in KC his OC and DC will get that job done but, here he had no plan and changed and blamed coaches as he went along.

He also had a GM who admittedly worked part time..... It's early but, if nothing else Mangini and Tannenbaum will put the time in that it takes.

My vote has to go to Herm..... Good luck KC.

Jauron is the true definition of the word gomer. He might as well not hold press conferences because he says the same thing at every one. Bills will learn to loathe the phrase "respect the integrity of the game".

Terrible in NO...yeah...I hate OCs that put up top 10 offenses
:goodposting: Saved me having to type it...
I think the thing that is respected about McCarthy is his QB development program. In N.O. he turned unheralded prospects into productive starters. Brooks (like him or not he was productive), Bulger, and Delhomme. If I'm not mistaken he had a hand in the development of Favre, Brunell and Hasselbeck as well. At this point I think Aaron Rodgers' rapid development is the most crucial need for the Packers.

Art Shell should be running away with this. He hasn't caoched in years and he put together the worst staff in the NFL. He hired a guy that was running a friggin bed and breakfast. I think his special teams coach was the coffee guy at 7-11.

The Raiders wont win 5 games.

I think all three of these are potentially disastrous, but the Shell hiring speaks volumes. Sure, we all get caught up in how great it is to see Shell back in the NFL coaching ranks. But honestly, Shell is the Raiders head coach because virtually no other qualified candidate wanted the job. And for a guy like Shell, who's been out of coaching for awhile, to bring in Walsh as his OC? Baffling.
It's worse than the Mangini/Schottenhiemer tandem, because at least they have been in the league the last 10 years!How can Shell not lead this vote?

What was statistically the worst offense of the past decade?--NOW MAKE A WISH AND SCROLL DOWN--

2005 San Francisco 49ers! :sadbanana:

Art Shell should be running away with this. He hasn't caoched in years and he put together the worst staff in the NFL. He hired a guy that was running a friggin bed and breakfast. I think his special teams coach was the coffee guy at 7-11.

The Raiders wont win 5 games.
great call!I for one slightly bought in on the Jordan/Moss/Brooks can-win-ya-a-few kool aide :hot:

RADIERNATION, you nailed it...you and those 9 silly TV's for Sunday afternoon viewing are "on the clock"!

Users who are viewing this thread