What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would this be that offbase? (1 Viewer)

Hear-the-Footsteps

Footballguy
This is total speculation on my part. No links to any articles. Just want to see if others thinks this makes sense as well.

Detroit needs a qb. Harrington has been given multiple chances. He was given chances with no solid wideouts - and failed.

Then Detroit used their early 1st round picks 3 years in a row on WRs (Rogers, Williams, Williams) and brought in a solid RB (Jones). Still Harrington did close to nothing (or at least not nearly as much as Detroit needed/wanted).

Garcia was the back up last year who many thought would be starting within a month in - but then due to his preseason injuries - was not ready til much later. Now Garcia is not signed with Detroit - plus, he is getting to be pretty old.

Assuming Detroit does not resign Garcia - and assuming they'd rather bring in someone young that could develop with their young offensive skills players - why not trade for Brees or Rivers?

Detroit could trade one of their 3 young talented wideouts and a draft pick (let's say 2nd rounder) to San Diego for either Rivers or Brees.

San Diego has a good offensive line, an amazing rb in tomlinson, but does not have a very solid WR1. (Sorry if I am offending anyone who believes McCardell, Caldwell, or V.Jackson could be very solid WR1s.)

If SD got one of those 3 young WRs - and McCardell became the WR2 - they would be insane on offense. They already have the run game nailed with Tomlinson. They alredy have the short passing game nailed with Gates. Both those guys are marquee. But they don't have anyone close to marquee at WR.

Carrying Rivers and Brees year after year hurts them (both financially and what they will be able to eventually get for Rivers). Detroit needs a young talented qb to grow and build chemistry with that young offense (and Harrington just doesn't seem to be the answer).

Am I totally off base here? Or doesn't this seem good for both sides?

The Chargers have Gates as their #1 option in the passing game, not McCardell. he is a #1 WR but the #2 or #3 option in the passing game, LT being #2. The offense in San Diego was never really an issue in my opinion. They scored a lot of points but never really shut anyone down on defense.

I think the best scenario, to me, would be for the Jets to trade Abraham to the Chargers for Rivers. I dount any of that happens.

The radio station here in Vegas has a guy who is closely connected with the Chargers and he has said repeatidly that the Chargers are not going to deal Brees or Rivers until next year because it is the best time salary cap wise and to see if Brees is still the same guy and not a Chad pennington repeat. Just what I have heard....

Detroit could trade one of their 3 young talented wideouts and a draft pick (let's say 2nd rounder) to San Diego for either Rivers or Brees.

Am I totally off base here? Or doesn't this seem good for both sides?
I think it would take a whole lot more than one of Detroit's 3 young wideouts and a 2nd rounder to get Brees or Rivers from SD.

I am still confused as to who the three talented wide outs are. Roy Williams and.......

Charles rogers? cant stay healthy or clean for longer than ten minutes.

Mike Williams. Way too slow. Not nearly the prospect he was supposed to be.

Are there two others I haven't seen?

I am still confused as to who the three talented wide outs are. Roy Williams and.......

That's exactly why talented is the operative word.There is no denying that Rogers and M.Williams have talent.

But raw talent and what has been proven are still very different - no doubt.

If all three were proven studs - Detroit would be stupid to send one of them in a trade WITH a high draft pick for an unproven, but talented qb like Rivers.

But those WRs are in the same boat as Rivers - talented, skilled, full of potential - but proven zero on the NFL level thus far.

That's exactly why talented is the operative word.There is no denying that Rogers and M.Williams have talent.

But raw talent and what has been proven are still very different - no doubt.

If all three were proven studs - Detroit would be stupid to send one of them in a trade WITH a high draft pick for an unproven, but talented qb like Rivers.

But those WRs are in the same boat as Rivers - talented, skilled, full of potential - but proven zero on the NFL level thus far.
I think that boat is sailing fast on Rogers.

Yeah I will buy that, one difference though. Rogers HAS started and been a player. Mike Williams STARTED and PLAYED int he NFL and both did little to show their value.

The Chargers have Gates as their #1 option in the passing game, not McCardell. he is a #1 WR but the #2 or #3 option in the passing game, LT being #2. The offense in San Diego was never really an issue in my opinion. They scored a lot of points but never really shut anyone down on defense.

I think the best scenario, to me, would be for the Jets to trade Abraham to the Chargers for Rivers. I dount any of that happens.

The radio station here in Vegas has a guy who is closely connected with the Chargers and he has said repeatidly that the Chargers are not going to deal Brees or Rivers until next year because it is the best time salary cap wise and to see if Brees is still the same guy and not a Chad pennington repeat. Just what I have heard....
Never meant to imply that the WR would be the team's first passing option. Rather I just said that he'd be their WR1. Just because a WR is the team's WR1 - does not mean he jumps ahead of Gates or Tomlinson in terms of top options.I just think this works for both teams.

Detroit desperately needs a talented young QB. Harrington has proven nothing and I don't think Orlovsky is their future. Trading for or signing a proven veteran does nothing for their long term future - which is what they need to concentrate on since their offense is so young. They need a young guy to develop with KJ, Roy, and one of the other two WRs (all very young).

And for San Diego, just picture this:

QB- Brees

RB- Tomlinson

FB- Neal

TE- Gates

WR- Rogers or Mike Williams as the WR1; McCardell as the WR2

Texasmouth, you make a solid point that they still need help on D.

But after making a trade like this, they could then use their 1st (19th overall) and 2nd (50th overall) round picks, as well as the 2nd round pick they get from Detroit (40th overall) on defensive players. 3 guys on D from the top 50 picks would definitely help.

I can't speak for AJ but SURE I'll take Roy and a 2nd rounder for Brees!Of course the guy isn't under contract, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Never meant to imply that the WR would be the team's first passing option. Rather I just said that he'd be their WR1. Just because a WR is the team's WR1 - does not mean he jumps ahead of Gates or Tomlinson in terms of top options.I just think this works for both teams.

Detroit desperately needs a talented young QB. Harrington has proven nothing and I don't think Orlovsky is their future. Trading for or signing a proven veteran does nothing for their long term future - which is what they need to concentrate on since their offense is so young. They need a young guy to develop with KJ, Roy, and one of the other two WRs (all very young).

And for San Diego, just picture this:

QB- Brees

RB- Tomlinson

FB- Neal

TE- Gates

WR- Rogers or Mike Williams as the WR1; McCardell as the WR2

Texasmouth, you make a solid point that they still need help on D.

But after making a trade like this, they could then use their 1st (19th overall) and 2nd (50th overall) round picks, as well as the 2nd round pick they get from Detroit (40th overall) on defensive players. 3 guys on D from the top 50 picks would definitely help.
I would still be very concerned about the health of Drew Brees before I traded away a prospect like Rivers. Trading him wouldn't be a good idea but they could always sign a free agent or bring in a guy like Aaron Brooks on the cheap just in case Brees isn't healthy....they do have AJ Feely there too......not that he is that good but.....** In my opinion, they basically got Rivers for free since they got Rivers and a first round pick for Manning.

I can't speak for AJ but SURE I'll take Roy and a 2nd rounder for Brees!Of course the guy isn't under contract, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.
No kidding! :thumbup:

:goodposting: Detroilet only has one first round pick wide receiver worth anything. Rogers and BMW could potentially get you Trent Dilfer, but don't hold your breath.

Basically, SD gives up any security it has at the QB position by trading Rivers (no team is going to trade for Brees given his injury situation), and takes a good cap hit.

Detroit gives up one of its crappy WRs and a 2nd rounder, also takes a good cap hit, and then has a young QB who will have to learn Martz' system.

What possible interest would SD have in this deal? Why on earth do you think Rogers or Williams could step in and be a #1 WR for the Chargers when they cant be more than a #3 for Detroit?

It just doesnt make any sense.

San Diego has a good offensive line, an amazing rb in tomlinson, but does not have a very solid WR1. (Sorry if I am offending anyone who believes McCardell, Caldwell, or V.Jackson could be very solid WR1s.)
I don't necessarily think the trio of McCardell, Eric Parker (their actual #2 WR), and Caldwell are world-beaters, but I'd take them over Rogers, Willimas, and Williams.Kassim Osgood (their #4 WR) and Jackson provide decent depth. I think it would take a lot more than one of those WRs and a 2nd rounder to lure them into trading Rivers, and a LOT more to get Brees.

... and a LOT more to get Brees.
I disagree with that part.AJ plays hardball as does Brees's agent. It's no given AJ doesn't just let Brees test the market and walk, getting nothing in return. Except all that cap space they spent on Brees last season.

Maybe it's posturing on the part of AJ but it hasn't been a secret they've been talking with Feely to rework his contract so he can remain on the team next season. Seems like that could be a hedge in case Brees's demands are too high.

I'm betting Brees tests the market and finds a team a lot more desperate at the QB position than SD and gets the big pay day he wants despite the "?" about his arm. More power to him. He'd be a very good leader to a team that has most of the pieces in place already. If he goes to a team in disarray like N.O. however, look out. He's no saviour regardless the stats he's put up the past two seasons.

scotty vines ! !!

Not sure this makes sense for either team.

Rivers is unproven and Brees is a risk coming off his injury. How does that buy you anything over Harrington? In terms of rivers, both guys are "full of potential" but at least Harrington is further along in the development. He actually had a decent 2004 before regressing last year. Of course, part of that regression was an anemic running game, and while I think Mad Martz will be good for the offense I don't know that we'll really see much more of a running game! :)

From the Chargers perspective, you have 1 unproven QB and one young Pro-Bowler coming off shoulder surgery.

I don't know... just doesn't seem like a good move for either team.

Brees' injury concern would be the problem with this theory.
I think you Trade Brees...... had SD not taken Rivers, he probably would have fallen to the end of the first round. Nobody is near as high on him as they are. They could get a late 1st for Brees.

I think you Trade Brees...... had SD not taken Rivers, he probably would have fallen to the end of the first round. Nobody is near as high on him as they are. They could get a late 1st for Brees.
Brees is not under contract.

Brees is not under contract.
No, but they can franchise tag him again and trade him.

And for San Diego, just picture this:QB- BreesRB- TomlinsonFB- NealTE- GatesWR- Rogers or Mike Williams as the WR1; McCardell as the WR2
That's an ugly picture:I'd rather have Brees/Rivers on the bench over having Rogers/MWilliams as the #1 WR.People keep forgetting that it takes 2 teams to trade. The deal would do well for Detroit, but not the Chargers... and the Chargers hold the better piece to the puzzle.Kind of like a fantasy owner sending 3 turds for a stud. Oops, forgot this is a fantasy owner proposing this trade. My bad.

For trading purposes, what do you think the Steelers would need in trade for Roethlisberger or the Giants in trade for Eli?

That's what the Chargers will want in trade for Rivers or Brees. Franchise QBs are not cheap.

For trading purposes, what do you think the Steelers would need in trade for Roethlisberger or the Giants in trade for Eli?

That's what the Chargers will want in trade for Rivers or Brees. Franchise QBs are not cheap.
There's no way the Chargers should get anything near what Pittsburgh would get for Big Ben, not even close. Or what NY would get for Eli even, no way. That's just crazy talk. Why should they? Because he was technically drafted higher than those two?I mean, if Rivers is a "franchise" QB simply because of his potential and where he was drafted, then Detroit's WR's must be "franchise" wide receivers and the best trio in the league, no? C'mon...

There's no way the Chargers should get anything near what Pittsburgh would get for Big Ben, not even close. Or what NY would get for Eli even, no way. That's just crazy talk. Why should they? Because he was technically drafted higher than those two?
That is your opinion, and honestly my opinion too. But our opinions don't matter and that wasn't what the question was. The only opinion that matters is what San Diego thinks Rivers is worth, and any speculation that the Chargers may feel they have somebody (rivers) just as good as Big Ben is not 'crazy'.

Users who are viewing this thread