What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (5 Viewers)

All in, how has he done this year as a rookie? He'll end this year around an 80-1,200-5.5 kinda stat line. Is that even with initial projections? Still a top 10 (maybe 5) dynasty WR?

All in, how has he done this year as a rookie? He'll end this year around an 80-1,200-5.5 kinda stat line. Is that even with initial projections? Still a top 10 (maybe 5) dynasty WR?
What rookie WR's have broken 1,200 yards historically? Moss/Boldin/Beckham are only ones i can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few more but not many.

1,200+ yards would be incredible for a rookie WR.

What rookie WR's have broken 1,200 yards historically? Moss/Boldin/Beckham are only ones i can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few more but not many.

1,200+ yards would be incredible for a rookie WR.
Right, and as such would it be crazy to have this guy as a top 3 dynasty WR now with Beckham and maybe Brown?

Per Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper was added to the Raiders' injury report with a foot issue on Thursday, getting in a limited session.

Cooper tweaked his foot in either Wednesday or Thursday's session. Mid-week adds to the injury report are never good news, but there's no reason to be concerned about Cooper's status just yet. Facing a brutally difficult matchup with the Broncos' league-best defense, Cooper is more WR3 than WR2 for Week 14

Rotoworld:

Amari Cooper went catch-less on eight targets in the Raiders' Week 14 win over the Broncos.

Over his last four games, Cooper has managed 15 catches for 188 yards with no touchdowns on 32 targets. The Broncos' cornerbacks -- and Aqib Talib, in particular -- had tight coverage on Cooper in this game, but Cooper also failed to reel in several catch-able passes. Still, we'd look for a bounce-back game from Cooper when the Raiders host the Packers in Week 15. It's worth noting top Green Bay CB Sam Shields was concussed in Sunday's win over Dallas.

Dec 13 - 8:12 PM

packers #1 CB declared out - sam shields.... most are guessing their rookie randall would be on cooper, i dont ahve access to the advanced metrics on shields value, but does this bump cooper significantly? debating possibly starting cooper at flex

they havent gone up against that many stud WR's

9th best WR defense for fantasy purposes

week 1 @ Chi, a hobbled alshon did 5-78-0

week 2 seattle didn't have an elite WR option (pre baldwin craziness)

week 3 maclin put up 8-141-1 (i recall most of that was in garbage time)

week 4 SF wr's didnt do much

week 5 shut down STL WR's (yuck)

week 6 keenan allen destroyed GB 14-157-0

week 8 @ denver probably best WR talent comp to oakland WR, and sanders went 2-22 with D thomas doing 8-168-0

week 9 @ car cotchery 3-82, funchess 3-71-1

week 10 Det, calvin 6-81-0 tate 4-52-0

week 11 @ Min - diggs 6-66-0

week 12 CHI - alshon 7-90-0

week 13 @ Det - tate 8-63-0, calvin 3-44-1

week 14 v. Dallas, shut down passing game even with shields leaving middle of the game (Matt Cassel - yuck)

slightly more giving on the road... so the shields injury makes cooper an interesting play, but the unknown with the foot makes me concerned

Last edited by a moderator:
bad matchup by the metrics for cooper tomorrow night. I know he burned SD last matchup with that 50 yd WR screen TD, but i dont feel good about this one. We all know cooper has been stymied by a tough matchups in recent weeks.

Verritt matchup not that good.

Also, forecast calling for rain and some wind gusts.

Any Oakland fans with insight into weather and if it will be a factor? Bad matchup and bad weather could equal a sit here.

I thought this kid was matchup proof. Seems to have hit a rookie wall. And the injury bug.
He can barely walk. What did you expect?
What did you expect?

Nobody spoke of the injury being this bad. He was probable. If Cooper was this banged up he should have been listed as questionable at minimum. Wouldn't be surprised if the league slapped them on the wrist for this.

This injury and performance was not baked into ANYONE's projections.

I checked ratings of 4 services and nobody was warning of a Cooper zero. That hurt. Better get some D/ST TD's to make up for it. Go Steelers!

I thought this kid was matchup proof. Seems to have hit a rookie wall. And the injury bug.
What did you expect?

Nobody spoke of the injury being this bad. He was probable. If Cooper was this banged up he should have been listed as questionable at minimum. Wouldn't be surprised if the league slapped them on the wrist for this.

Not sure why he was on the field at all.

What did you expect?

Not sure why he was on the field at all.
It's funny (or not so funny) that there was not a peep all week on Cooper's injury, no mention by experts of an issue, and he was listed as probable, but early in the game, the broadcasters made clear note not of it.

No way he should have been listed as probable.

I saw Cooper on Family Fued recently. He was not very quick on his feet to answer a question about who is someone he would prefer to see only once a year. He even had a second chance to answer this question after failing to when he hit the buzzer. He still came up with nothing.

I guess Amari Cooper likes everyone. 

Draft accordingly.  ;)

I saw Cooper on Family Fued recently. He was not very quick on his feet to answer a question about who is someone he would prefer to see only once a year. He even had a second chance to answer this question after failing to when he hit the buzzer. He still came up with nothing.

Draft accordingly.  ;)
:lmao:

I'll be sure to take that into consideration when I'm drafting for my Family Feud Fantasy League. Probably drop him down to the 10th round now.

Draft accordingly.  ;)
Could be that he is not worried about any CB in the league "I'll take em everyday of the week n twice on Sundays"

Amari Cooper and Derek Carr are spending training camp as roommates "in a concerted effort to enhance chemistry."
Carr and Cooper's effort to build rapport dates back to the spring, when they would meet together to play catch at parks, then met for Carr's "off-the-books" passing camp early in the summer. "Observers made note of the enhanced connection" at OTAs, according to CSN Bay Area's Scott Bair. "(As roommates), we get to talk more," Cooper said. "We are in the room studying plays and we go over some of the things that I can make adjustments on or that maybe he can make adjustments on." Just some #NarrativeStreet worth filing away.

Related: Derek Carr

Source: CSN Bay Area 
Aug 3 - 8:02 PM

Too high? Too low??
He had 72 catches for 1070 yards and 6 tds last year.  Granted, he was a rookie, but he got fed 130 targets so it's not like he was getting treated with kid gloves.  He has upside for sure, but he's coming off the board in the second round in redraft leagues on potential ahead of guys who have already been more productive.  Cooks is still emerging and had over 1100 yards and 9 tds last year, and hes going after cooper.  Demaryius thomas might regress, but it would have to be a lot for him to fall past 1070/6.  He's going several picks later.  Randall cobb has a stud year under his belt and both he and jordy are healthy.  Is there really a round difference between their situations?  

Too high? Too low??
Way too high for me. I have him with a 4th rounds grade right after Hilton and Cobb. His ADP has him at the 2nd/3rd turn. Now it isn't completely terrible as Cooper is my 32nd overall player and he is the 24th player going off the board, but that early in drafts 8 spots is still pretty big. Here are my thoughts on Cooper:

Amari Cooper: He is a talented player so I understand why people are excited, but Cooper just hasn't done anything special enough in the league to draft over players with the more proven track records like Cooks, DT, Hilton, etc. His price tag is the best case scenario for a guy that was WR23 in total points and WR31 in ppg last year. He wasn't even the best fantasy WR on his team. He was the 3rd most targeted RZ wide receiver on the Raiders. He had 0 targets inside the 10. That makes me question what his TD potential is.

For Cooper to live up to his WR11 price tag, you are going to need to a 33% improvement in fantasy production from 2015. The good news it that there is a lot he can improve on to get better numbers. He had more drops than Mike Evans in 2015. A lot of the advanced stats I have seen weren't too kind to Cooper (Catch rate &, DVOA, DYAR). Now the play of the QB certainly could have been a cause for some of those poor numbers, but that same QB will be throwing him the ball in 2015. I just don't see the argument for Cooper going so high other than he's really talented and he is sure to improve. As we know from years of fantasy, talented players don't always make for fantasy stars and players don't always improve. I will say another poster showed me that the recent list of WRs gaining over 800 or 900 yards as a rookie is very promising for Cooper. Most of them turned into very good fantasy WRs and most of them improved a good amount the next year. I think there is good chance Cooper has a Cooks/Hilton like season, but why not just take Cooks or Hilton? 

He had 72 catches for 1070 yards and 6 tds last year.  Granted, he was a rookie, but he got fed 130 targets so it's not like he was getting treated with kid gloves.  He has upside for sure, but he's coming off the board in the second round in redraft leagues on potential ahead of guys who have already been more productive.  Cooks is still emerging and had over 1100 yards and 9 tds last year, and hes going after cooper.  Demaryius thomas might regress, but it would have to be a lot for him to fall past 1070/6.  He's going several picks later.  Randall cobb has a stud year under his belt and both he and jordy are healthy.  Is there really a round difference between their situations?  
Some people let dynasty rankings cloud their redraft 

However would it surprise anyone if cooper was talked about as a top 5 wr pick in 2017? After a dominate 2016 season? Nope

It wouldn't surprise me if any of those guys were top 5 picks next year.  Thomas has already been top 5, Cobb has already flirted with it, cooks is still improving and had a better year than cooper last year, and so on.  But yes, it would surprise me if cooper was a top 5 pick next year.  That would be a nearly unprecedented year one to year two leap, not something you should expect.  Thats why his value is all wrong right now.  

Ilov80s said:
Yes, it would surprise me quite a bit. 
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Cooper checks all the boxes for me.  Talent, athleticism, speed, routes, work ethic, character etc.   His QB is talented and on the rise as well.  I don't blame guys for not drafting ahead of guys like Hilton this year in redraft.  You are taking a bit of a gamble that he improves off last years numbers pretty dramatically if you do that.  

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he blew up this year and was top 5 redraft next year.

Users who are viewing this thread