What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (1 Viewer)

Love last night but he got a highly unusual 19 targets and he only caught 11 (58%). Don't hold your breath.

Would love to be wrong.

With at least 3 of those drops going right between his hands. 

I think they want to feed the ball as much as they can though. But on the Goaline they're going to crabtree

Weird that with more bulk he is still having trouble against press play at the line - doesn’t seem to either have the hand strength or fire to pop the defender jamming him and use his quickness to release.

It’s why he was so effective in the slot - gives him a little space to cut. 

And while the drops and focus and underperformance is all on him, a little can honestly also be placed on Carr, who has looked a little shaky sometimes with leading or throwing to tough parts of Coop’s catching radius or putting too much air under the ball and not hitting Coop in stride.

Overjoyed to see his explosion, but mixed feelings moving forward.

The good: Think the offensive coordinator finally figured things out on how to put Cooper in a position to be more productive. We're not going to see 19 targets again, but there were a number of different routes originating either outside on the perimeter or in the slot...short and deep...that Cooper cashed in on. I'd think he'll get a healthy amount of targets moving forward.

In addition, I'm starting to think that OAK is going to just say the hell with the running game. Forget run first mentality. Lynch and that offensive line can't get it done that way. Spread it out, hurry up, throw the damn ball.

The bad: Short term, the schedule is not that great: BUF, bye, DEN, NYG over the next 6 games with NE and MIA sprinkled in. I bet we'll see more ups and downs. However, the playoff schedule looks good.

Keeping my expectations in check. Hoping for more consistency short term and then cashing in on playoff schedule.

All that said, if J. Jones busts this weekend in NE I'm going to try and buy low there and sell Cooper high.

Anyone else gonna admit to benching him? =/ 

I had four other very good WR options this week. I'm such an idiot. I had started him every week until this week, too.
I did, but I put him on the pine for Fitzgerald starting week four to go along with Diggs.  Now I have to chose between Amendola and M. Bryant ?

Which version of Amari Cooper will show up today? I am hearing folks are getting down on Daaa Rrrrraiderssss lately. A pre-season darling to not so good?

Will the true Raiders please show up. OAK at MIA - Vegas has it around OAK 23 - MIA 20.

NFL NETWORK says they are sick right now.

I’m so glad I was able to trade him away for Julio Jones. Too inconsistent!

Tex

I'm rolling with Cooper. This is looking like a lost season for me anyway, with the loss of Deshaun Watson, and how that impacts Fuller as well. At this point, unless guys like Doctson or Cory Davis have a huge 2nd half surge, I don't think think I have much choice but start Amari and pray.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Amari Cooper suffered a sprained ankle in addition to his concussion against the Broncos.

It's unclear how serious the sprain is. The twin injuries make Cooper's odds of suiting up for Week 13 against the Giants close to zero. That will leave Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson and Johnny Holton to fight it out behind Michael Crabtree.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 27 - 3:05 PM

Amari Cooper (ankle, concussion) didn't practice on Wednesday.

Beat writer Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal confirms Cooper is unlikely to play Sunday versus the Giants. With Michael Crabtree also out—he's serving a one-game suspension for fighting Aqib Talib—the Raiders are going to be extremely thin on pass-catchers. Seth Roberts and Cordarrelle Patterson will be used in base sets, though tight end Jared Cook has a good chance to lead the team in targets.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

No reports it’s a high ankle sprain.
No the Raiders have not come out and publicly said he has a high ankle sprain but enough reports out there if you know were to look.

Chao thinks is a high ankle sprain and Vic Tafur said he is dubious he can play in week 14 and cited the ankle as the concern, not the concussion. He was also seen leaving the facility yesterday limping and carrying a walking boot. But yea no reports.

No the Raiders have not come out and publicly said he has a high ankle sprain but enough reports out there if you know were to look.

Chao thinks is a high ankle sprain and Vic Tafur said he is dubious he can play in week 14 and cited the ankle as the concern, not the concussion. He was also seen leaving the facility yesterday limping and carrying a walking boot. But yea no reports.
Exactly

What do we think of Amari for 2018? Does gruden get the offense going? Is amari a buy l9w or sell high???

I think he'll have a nice bounce back season. It's to bad he lacks professionalism to work hard on the offseason and work on his brick hands, what a lazy bum. He should be a top 5 WR every year but he couldn't catch a virus if there was an epidemic. He should spend the summer with Larry Fitzgerald's camp and learn how to be a real WR. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta think Gruden is gonna bust Coop's hump and fix his concentration issues.

If not he'll phase Coop out of the primary WR role.

Raiders need to consider drafting a WR with a high pick even if Coop gets fixed. Crabtree is probably gone, Cordarrele is not a #2 and probably not a viable #3 either. The Seth experiment has to be over too. It may be the thinnest position on the team.

Pretty sure he is not a sell high.

Holding is the only option here.
I'm buying if the price is right. He's been solid 2 out of his 3 years in the league. Carr, although down a bit last year, is really good and poised to grow under Gruden.

Think Cooper returns to borderline WR1 status next year.

A couple different leagues I'm in have Cooper owners that have put him on their trading block. I think I want to buy but am struggling with value.

A couple different leagues I'm in have Cooper owners that have put him on their trading block. I think I want to buy but am struggling with value.
Dyno trade thread posts cooks/2.08 for cooper, that seems rich to me. I suppose it depends on what you have to offer and what other owners need. There are some guys like Gordon that might suffice if they need rb, or a team may take an early pick for cooper if they need rb over wr. 

This excerpt below is from an article on from The Athletic, probably needs a passcode but here is part of that article it discusses Cooper. Tim Brown might be guilty of hyperbole, but he was saying this stuff last off-season, that Cooper was not getting used correctly.  Cooper must address his drop problems but I do find these comments pretty encouraging.

Notes on Cooper

What about Cooper?

For all the talk about Carr needing help getting back on track, receiver Amari Cooper had his worst season in 2017. He got off to a slow start, battled drops (finishing with seven on the season) and then sustained a concussion and ankle injury. He finished with eight games of 35 yards or less, and 48 catches for 680 yards (in 14 games).

Former Raiders receiver Tim Brown thinks Gruden is the right man for the fix-it job.

“If he can’t (get the best out of Cooper), nobody can,” Brown said. “I think for Amari, this is going to be an incredible opportunity for him to get 120-125 catches a year with no problems.”

One of the reasons Cooper struggled was new offensive coordinator Todd Downing, who forgot about him for long stretches and was reluctant to use him in the slot. The one game Downing got those two things right, Cooper had 11 catches for 210 yards in an Oct. 19 win over the Chiefs.

Brown says Cooper won’t ever question if Gruden used him correctly or not.

“The one thing I loved about Jon is when we stepped on the field, we knew we were prepared. If we lost, we lost,” Brown said. “We got beat physically, but it wasn’t because we had a bad game plan or we didn’t have a clue what was gonna happen.

“As a player, that’s all you can ask for. Make sure that we’re well-prepared.”

Cooper is a gifted route runner, and Gruden will love that.

“His offense takes into account exactly where the defensive players will be and exactly where you have to be as a receiver,” Brown said. “And I have never heard anyone criticize how hard Amari works or how precise he is coming out of his routes.”

Rob Moore is the new Titans WR coach (former Jets/Cards WR) and I've enjoyed listening to him talk. His view that no WR should ever have to make a special grab if they're in the right spot is interesting, maybe overly simplistic, and maybe too much coach speak but...I like it. The Titans have had drops issues for a long long time and this crew is the first that catches passes at a reasonable rate.

I watched some Raiders games after I heard him say this and I gotta say Cooper was a little off. One more step and the ball is in the bread basket or "right there." 

I'm sure there are other issues and I'm no expert on why WRs drop the ball, but I really found the simplicity of this interesting

Speaking at the NFL Combine, coach Jon Gruden said Amari Cooper will be the Raiders' offensive "focal point" moving forward.

The Athletic reported Tuesday that Michael Crabtree will return with the team, but it sounds like Gruden has designs on making Cooper the Raiders' clear-cut No. 1 wideout. "He'll be the focal point of our offense," Gruden said of Amari. "I hope he's listening here today. I'm looking forward to joining up with Amari Cooper. He has tremendous quickness. He's smart, versatile and he's a gamer. He likes the bright lights, and he'll be the headliner in our offense." After a disappointing 2017, Cooper will be a high-upside bounce-back candidate in 2018 fantasy leagues.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/raiders/Gruden_envisions_Amari_Cooper_as__focal_point__of_Raiders_offense-475425733.html

Speaking at the NFL Combine, coach Jon Gruden said Amari Cooper will be the Raiders' offensive "focal point" moving forward.

The Athletic reported Tuesday that Michael Crabtree will return with the team, but it sounds like Gruden has designs on making Cooper the Raiders' clear-cut No. 1 wideout. "He'll be the focal point of our offense," Gruden said of Amari. "I hope he's listening here today. I'm looking forward to joining up with Amari Cooper. He has tremendous quickness. He's smart, versatile and he's a gamer. He likes the bright lights, and he'll be the headliner in our offense." After a disappointing 2017, Cooper will be a high-upside bounce-back candidate in 2018 fantasy leagues.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/raiders/Gruden_envisions_Amari_Cooper_as__focal_point__of_Raiders_offense-475425733.html
Getting out my offseason drool bib. Excited to see this if true!

Gruden is never guilty of coach speak.   

Coach Jon Gruden reiterated he envisions Amari Cooper as the "main vein" of the Raiders' passing game going forward.

Gruden, a former wideouts coach, has made it clear Cooper will be counted on for No. 1 wideout usage after sharing the role with Michael Crabtree the past three years. "I said it when he came out of Alabama, that he reminded me of a young Tim Brown," Gruden said. "He has that type of game speed. He's elusive, and has a wide range of routes he can run. He's flexible. It'll benefit him to stay healthy and stay in the same system for a few years. If he does that, great things are ahead." Cooper's career high for targets is 132, set in 2016. He sounds likely to push for a new career high in Gruden's first year.

Source: NBC Sports Bay Area 

Apr 2 - 6:00 PM

Amari Cooper #ReceptionPerception success rate vs. press coverage (and attempts) 2014 partial college sample: 86.7% (15) 2015: 68.8% (96) 2016: 66.3% (98) 2017: 55.7% (115) NFL Avg: 66.7% (68)

8:44 PM - 2 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/981014597279731712

Essentially, heading into year 4, I think it's fair to ask questions about Cooper and whether these will ever be strengths. If not, what does that mean/then how do you deploy him best?

8:51 PM - 2 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/981016191501135872

Not sure that Gruden will be good for him, and Olson sure as hell won't be. Wouldn't be shocked if he was there this year and next, and left in 2020. He'll still only be 26 years old. Olson is a terrible OC who squandered the talent of Allen Robinson. He was unable to design a scheme to get him in space and had him run the same routes over, and over, and over, and over.

With Crabtree gone it's possible that Cooper gets more looks, but I think Jordy takes over the Crabtree role and steals lots of TDs.

This Gruden thing is destined to be a Biblical sized disaster. 
A little too "chicken little" at this point IMO. 

Amari Cooper #ReceptionPerception success rate vs. press coverage (and attempts) 2014 partial college sample: 86.7% (15) 2015: 68.8% (96) 2016: 66.3% (98) 2017: 55.7% (115) NFL Avg: 66.7% (68)

8:44 PM - 2 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/981014597279731712

Essentially, heading into year 4, I think it's fair to ask questions about Cooper and whether these will ever be strengths. If not, what does that mean/then how do you deploy him best?

8:51 PM - 2 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/981016191501135872
Not so "chicken little," and absolutely fair to ask. Kind of a make/break situation for Cooper here with a clean sweep of new system, new coaching, similar talent around him. He seems to have such amazing talent but has never put it together consistently, and if he disappoints this year, hard to make a case that he can become the elite wideout I expected him to be.

I'm approaching with a lot of caution this year -- volume will arguably be the same or worse if the Raiders run the ball more. Could be said that takes less pressure off the passing game which will benefit Cooper, but some there are tangible things he needs to improve (hands, routes/separation, etc.) that affect his performance regardless of volume.

It's one thing to say he's been much more productive than others in his draft class (DeVante Parker, Agholor, Perriman, Kevin White, Dorsett). But what really counts is whether he can parlay obvious talent into consistency and performance.

One good thing is Cooper has and is doing what he can to work on himself. Good kid and works hard, and I worry it's becoming more of an issue in his head than his physical ability. Hopefully Jordy as a mentor (as opposed to Crabs who may not have been) and Gruden as a coach will help break him out.

Of course, Gruden is exaggerating--it is what he does. But Cooper was hurt last year and the team as a whole was off.  I think it is reasonable to expect Cooper to return to something like 2016, with maybe a few more TDs. 

80 receptions, 1200 yards, 8 TDs=248 points in 1pt/ppr leagues.

That would put him at WR8, just behind Julio.  I don't know that he is ever going to be the top WR--I don't see that in him.  But I do think he can be a PPR monster and I think he can be a better red zone threat than he has been.

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Raiders are expected to exercise Amari Cooper's fifth-year option for 2019.

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie was somewhat noncommittal when Cooper's option was discussed on Friday, telling reporters he didn't want to "put the cart before the horse." However, this was always the expected outcome for Cooper, even coming off a down year in 2017. Cooper's option is expected to be worth $13.9 million.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread