What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Bryant Out of the Picture? (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Rumblings are very loud that the Browns will let wide receiver Antonio Bryant go to free agency and perhaps sign two players with the money they would have used on Bryant. One of them could be Joe Jurevicius of the Seahawks.
LINK

If the Browns get 'Vicius and another talented WR in FA for less than Bryant, then I say go for it. However, this is a mediocre year for WR's, with David Givens, Randle El, Reggie Wayne, and possibly Bryant probably commanding (and possibly getting) more than good market value. Aside from those 4, it gets pretty mediocre with the likes of 'Vicious, Corey Bradford, Reche Caldwell, and Jabar Gaffney heading the "second tier". Maybe they could target Santonio Holmes in the draft and bring him along slowly while Edwards, Northcutt, and Jurevicious run the show? Don't forget about Winslow V. 2.0, although will he be ready for next season?

I've always been impressed with Bryant's ability, but if he couldn't get his head screwed on right with Parcells, you have to wonder if he'll ever mature down the road.

He dropped way too many balls last season. They would take him back for the right price, but that probably won't happen.

Braylon Edwards return date is October 1st, so they will need to sign somebody.

He dropped way too many balls last season. They would take him back for the right price, but that probably won't happen.

Edwards will be back week 1. I just read that a couple nights ago. i think at USAToday. BTW Winslow is at least going to play WR in camp, it's something they want to see. Crennel+Savage think he may be "impossible" to stop at WR and with his speed they're curious.As you mentioned, Bryant will either be offerred a small contract or let walk and then if no one else offers him one, offer him one then. I also get the idea the drops irritate Savage "to no end" but Crennel is quiet on the subject.

TE Shea is walking too, he's hurt too much.

I find it very odd they're so interested in Winslow at WR. I wonder if Crennel hasn't fallen in love with some college TE. That and the fact that Cleveland's "only" had #2 Wrs the last few years and he probably figures there's less risk planning on Winslow as a WR. Right? Trying to make sense of it with Shea leaving too. What do you think? Why Winslow as a WR?

As a Jurevicius owner in several leagues, I PRAY he stays in Seattle. That's the perfect offense for him. Cleveland would kill his value...

More of the same from the Boston Globe . . .

The Browns apparently will let 1,000-yard receiver Antonio Bryant enter free agency without even making him an offer, according to his agent, Lamont Smith. Although Browns GM Phil Savage claimed Bryant said he wanted to ''test the free agent market," Smith said no one had told the Browns any such thing. ''Antonio never told them that he wanted to test the market," said Smith. ''I certainly haven't told them that. I can't do a deal by myself. I did approach Romeo [Crennel] about this at the Senior Bowl. Suffice it to say, we haven't gotten any indications that there's any interest in re-signing him."
LINK

Savage did not mention Bryant's name, and it was not an oversight; the dropped passes really bothered Savage. A drop in the end zone in Indianapolis changed the tone of the game.

Savage has not written Bryant off completely, but is willing to let Bryant test free agency with the hope Bryant might find returning to the Browns more to his liking for less money than he supposes he can get elsewhere. Don't count on it. Bryant was with the Browns only a season and a half. He has no family in Cleveland, so it would be easy for him to pick up and leave.

What makes the decision to not at least make some attempt to re-sign Bryant odd is both Dilfer and Frye endorse him. Dilfer said Bryant is "the best route-runner I've ever worked with." Frye had similar praise, but he stops short of telling Savage Bryant should be re-signed.

"That isn't my call at all," Frye said. "Whatever they decide I'm sure will be in the best interest of the Browns."

Bryant had a reputation of being a hothead when the Browns traded Quincy Morgan to the Cowboys for him in 2004, but he was not disruptive during his time with the Browns.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/home.htm

David, I think each author is GUESSING as to reasons the Browns will let Bryant walk. I don't think we're disagreeing here.

Savage did not mention Bryant's name, and it was not an oversight; the dropped passes really bothered Savage. A drop in the end zone in Indianapolis changed the tone of the game.

Savage has not written Bryant off completely, but is willing to let Bryant test free agency with the hope Bryant might find returning to the Browns more to his liking for less money than he supposes he can get elsewhere. Don't count on it. Bryant was with the Browns only a season and a half. He has no family in Cleveland, so it would be easy for him to pick up and leave.

What makes the decision to not at least make some attempt to re-sign Bryant odd is both Dilfer and Frye endorse him. Dilfer said Bryant is "the best route-runner I've ever worked with." Frye had similar praise, but he stops short of telling Savage Bryant should be re-signed.

"That isn't my call at all," Frye said. "Whatever they decide I'm sure will be in the best interest of the Browns."

Bryant had a reputation of being a hothead when the Browns traded Quincy Morgan to the Cowboys for him in 2004, but he was not disruptive during his time with the Browns.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/home.htm
Exactamundo. He'll stand to recieve a big payday from a team that loses the Wayne/Randle El/Givens sweepstakes as Bryant should be regarded as the next in line after them.

Givens to the Browns!
Now there's a possibility. Bryant has talent, but lacks the toughness of Givens. He'd be a good fit, but probably won't produce much more than he has in NE. Either way, he's a strong, reliable receiver.

Edwards will be back week 1. I just read that a couple nights ago. i think at USAToday. BTW Winslow is at least going to play WR in camp, it's something they want to see. Crennel+Savage think he may be "impossible" to stop at WR and with his speed they're curious.As you mentioned, Bryant will either be offerred a small contract or let walk and then if no one else offers him one, offer him one then. I also get the idea the drops irritate Savage "to no end" but Crennel is quiet on the subject.

TE Shea is walking too, he's hurt too much.

I find it very odd they're so interested in Winslow at WR. I wonder if Crennel hasn't fallen in love with some college TE. That and the fact that Cleveland's "only" had #2 Wrs the last few years and he probably figures there's less risk planning on Winslow as a WR. Right? Trying to make sense of it with Shea leaving too. What do you think? Why Winslow as a WR?
I just saw this the other day as well. I wonder if they're rushing him back if he starts the season. I could see Givens brought in since Romeo knows him and he seems like a good character guy. I don't know why Winslow would be moved to WR, I think they should get him on the field first. Just got B. Edwards the other day in my dynasty league and looking forward to seeing him healthy as soon as possible.

If Bryant walks, what teams would be most interested in him?

I remember hearing a rumor that the Texans inquired about Byrant after the Parcels jersey throwing incident. Dallas sent him instead to Cleveland. Just wondering if the Texans would still be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember hearing a rumor that the Texans inquired about Byrant after the Parcels jersey throwing incident. Dallas sent him instead to Cleveland. Just wondering if the Texans would still be interested.
Steelers if Randle El is not resigned.

I remember hearing a rumor that the Texans inquired about Byrant after the Parcels jersey throwing incident.  Dallas sent him instead to Cleveland.  Just wondering if the Texans would still be interested.
Steelers if Randle El is not resigned.
that would be weird for them to have Morgan and Bryant

Someone send this guy to Houston already. Adding Bush and Bryant....they might have a fighting chance...oh thats right....theyre bringing back David Carr...never mind.

:bag:

As a Browns fan, I'm happy to see him walk. If you think about it, Bryant was the third option in Dallas just the year before coming to Cleveland, and the first two options in Dallas were Keyshawn and Terry Glenn, hardly a 'Great' receiving tandum. He comes to Cleveland, and because of Braylon's injury, and sucky other receivers, he is the number 1 option. From watching every game this season, I remember tons of drops also. The guy seems to easily lose focus on the easy catches.

Someone send this guy to Houston already.  Adding Bush and Bryant....they might have a fighting chance...oh thats right....theyre bringing back David Carr...never mind.

:bag:
Yea David Carr sucks. :no: You try throwing the ball when you're getting mauled by 300 pounders on EVERY play for the past few YEARS.

The Brown's are eyeing Josh Reed as well (but they are looking for a locker room guy-leader).

B.Edwards will not be ready at the start of the season. Savage is saying October at the earliest. They will play it very safe with him. They may place him on P.U.P. list?

Winslow does not have the speed to play WR at this level. He has above average speed for a TE, which equates to below ave speed at WR.

And lets not forget who will be throwing to this group...Charlie Frye and his 165 NFL attempts of experience. :P

RW

He'd make a good Eagle :yes:
My thoughts exactly. Also, he would have a much shorter learning curve with Reid's offense compared to most WRs. This was well demonstrated when TO picked it up right off the bat.

The Brown's are eyeing Josh Reed as well (but they are looking for a locker room guy-leader).

B.Edwards will not be ready at the start of the season. Savage is saying October at the earliest. They will play it very safe with him.

Winslow does not have the speed to play WR at this level. He has above average speed for a TE, which equates to below ave speed at WR.

And lets not forget who will be throwing to this group...Charlie Frye and his 165 NFL attempts of experience. :P

RW
Do you have a link to any of this? I provided one at USAToday and you basically said none of it is true.

B.Edwards will not be ready at the start of the season. Savage is saying October at the earliest. They will play it very safe with him.

RW
Do you have a link to any of this? I provided one at USAToday and you basically said none of it is true.
You can find all of these at the Brown's Page on the Footballguys BLOGGER All articles within the past week. If you need me to break it down further let me know, I can do that later when not as busy.USA Today uses CBS Sportline (Sports Xchange?) as a main source, sometimes word for word. Notes, Quotes, and Anecdotes and especially the "Inside Slant" come directly from CBS. I am not saying what you posted isn't true, I'm just saying I prefer to believe the outlet that is talking to and quoting GM Phil Savage, or a well known (connected) writer over an outlet that speculates as much as CBS Sportsline/USA Today does. Either way, mostly everything is speculation at this time (pre-free agancy - pre-draft) so it's not worth butting heads over already. I am just sharing information I read recently about these situations. You are welcome to process it at your own discretion :D

RW

CBS Sportsline

USA Today

Word for Word

The Brown's are eyeing Josh Reed as well  (but they are looking for a locker room guy-leader).

And lets not forget who will be throwing to this group...Charlie Frye and his 165 NFL attempts of experience.  :P

RW
You can find all of these at the Brown's Page on the Footballguys BLOGGER All articles within the past week. If you need me to break it down further let me know, I can do that later when not as busy.USA Today uses CBS Sportline (Sports Xchange?) as a main source, sometimes word for word. Notes, Quotes, and Anecdotes and especially the "Inside Slant" come directly from CBS. I am not saying what you posted isn't true, I'm just saying I prefer to believe the outlet that is talking to and quoting GM Phil Savage, or a well known (connected) writer over an outlet that speculates as much as CBS Sportsline/USA Today does. Either way, mostly everything is speculation at this time (pre-free agancy - pre-draft) so it's not worth butting heads over already. I am just sharing information I read recently about these situations. You are welcome to process it at your own discretion :D

RW

CBS Sportsline

USA Today

Word for Word
you said nothing here, please provide links to backup your statements

You disprove what I posted, what Savage said, with an opinion piece by Terry?

What a dumb exercise this has been. I expected some other Savage quote or Crennel quote or some news in some form. Geesh

What a dumb exercise this has been. I expected some other Savage quote or Crennel quote or some news in some form. Geesh
I'm just saying I prefer to believe the outlet that is talking to and quoting GM Phil Savage, or a well known (connected) writer over an outlet that speculates as much as CBS Sportsline/USA Today does.I would believe Pluto over CBS Sportsline in a heartbeat. It was your choice to drag it out.

RW

I'm just saying I prefer to believe the outlet that is talking to and quoting GM Phil Savage, or a well known (connected) writer over an outlet that speculates as much as CBS Sportsline/USA Today does.I would believe Pluto over CBS Sportsline in a heartbeat. It was your choice to drag it out.

RW
you have a nice day

This is old news but it involves what GM Savage thought about WR Antonio Bryant right after the season (from the Blogger January 10th)...

January 10, 2006, 18:26

Browns :: WR

GM Savage Talks About WR Bryant's Inconsistent Play

Jeff Walcoff, ClevelandBrowns.com - [Full Article]

"Antonio, on some days, in some games, in some practices-he looks fantastic," General manager Phil Savage said. "There are other times where he can leave you scratching your head a little bit. But he is an NFL talent. Make no mistake about it: this guy is an incredible athlete. He's excellent in and out of his breaks. He has very good hands, but he had inconsistent hands in terms of the drops this year. But Antonio had over 1,000 yards. He did a lot of positive things, and he's a player that we're not opposed to bringing back. I think he would actually like to come back if the price is right. It comes down to money, generally, in these situations."

R. White,I'm having a hard time letting this go. You insult the quality of USAToday's team reports source and inadvertently insult me as if I would post a bogus story. I don't appreciate that.FYIUSAToday's team reports are done by the Sports ExchangeThe Sports Xchange is owned by Frank Cooney. He also is the founder of Pro Football Writers of America organization. If PFWA is not considerred a sufficient source to you maybe you'll take the word of a hall of fame coach, a former excellent college+pro coach, and a former GM.

"The Sports Xchange delivers extremely professional, in-depth information . . .a must-read for those with a need to know." Hall of Fame Coachand GM Bill Walsh"The Sports Xchange Football Writers Network provides comprehensive player information every day of the NFL season." Ron Wolf Green Bay Packers"The Sports Xchange provides the most in-depth and timely information anywhere."Jimmy JohnsonFormer Head CoachMiami Dolphins Dallas Cowboys

For those that feel Edwards will be back week 1, the Browns have been quoted saying they know Edwards will not be back 100% at the beginning of the season. They've said this all along. I bring this up because while he may be back week1 he likely will not be 100%. Sorry, no link.

For those that feel Edwards will be back week 1, the Browns have been quoted saying they know Edwards will not be back 100% at the beginning of the season. They've said this all along. I bring this up because while he may be back week1 he likely will not be 100%. Sorry, no link.
:link: sorry, could not resist

:D LINKY

February 12, 2006, 10:13

WR B.Edwards Will Not Be Ready For Training Camp

Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer - [Full Article]

GM Savage has cautioned fans not to expect WR Braylon Edwards to be at 100 percent immediately when he returns to active status. He wouldn't go so far as predicting Edwards may start the season on the physically unable to perform list, which would idle him until October. He said Edwards will not be ready to participate in training camp, but "I think September would be a conservative guess," he said.

RW

:hot: :D

:D LINKY

February 12, 2006, 10:13

WR B.Edwards Will Not Be Ready For Training Camp

Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer - [Full Article]

GM Savage has cautioned fans not to expect WR Braylon Edwards to be at 100 percent immediately when he returns to active status. He wouldn't go so far as predicting Edwards may start the season on the physically unable to perform list, which would idle him until October. He said Edwards will not be ready to participate in training camp, but "I think September would be a conservative guess," he said.

RW
Thanks Ron. I knew I read it somewhere but was too lazy to find it.

anyone else think Bryant is overrated...every year?
Not last year. You could have drafted him as a 4th or 5th WR or off the waiver wire in some leagues and he gave you good #3 or adequate #2 WR numbers. Next year he might not be as good value but in the right situation I can see him repeating his numbers from last year. He is only 25 and seems to have matured off the field. He does have some drop problems that may or may not be correctable but I like him as my #4 and can live with him as my #3 with some upside to a #2 WR.

anyone else think Bryant is overrated...every year?
Not last year. You could have drafted him as a 4th or 5th WR or off the waiver wire in some leagues and he gave you good #3 or adequate #2 WR numbers. Next year he might not be as good value but in the right situation I can see him repeating his numbers from last year. He is only 25 and seems to have matured off the field. He does have some drop problems that may or may not be correctable but I like him as my #4 and can live with him as my #3 with some upside to a #2 WR.
Hes been with this team how long? Got traded when? I just think this guy is a little weird. I dont trust him to ever be a solid #2 wr. (12-team) KRobishly.

As an owner of Bryant in a dynasty league I am praying that he moves to the Eagles.

I would hate to see him go to the Texans, as I also have A. Johnson. And nobody needs 2 WRs from the Texans!!

If the Browns get 'Vicius and another talented WR in FA for less than Bryant, then I say go for it.  However, this is a mediocre year for WR's, with David Givens, Randle El, Reggie Wayne, and possibly Bryant probably commanding (and possibly getting) more than good market value.  Aside from those 4, it gets pretty mediocre with the likes of 'Vicious, Corey Bradford, Reche Caldwell, and Jabar Gaffney heading the "second tier".  Maybe they could target Santonio Holmes in the draft and bring him along slowly while Edwards, Northcutt, and Jurevicious run the show?  Don't forget about Winslow V. 2.0, although will he be ready for next season?

I've always been impressed with Bryant's ability, but if he couldn't get his head screwed on right with Parcells, you have to wonder if he'll ever mature down the road.
:lmao: Sign Joe AND Randle el for what they would have paid Antonio?!?!?

Joe is pretty full of himself. And so is Randle el. You are seriously fooling yourself if you think they could sign 2 decent WR's to replace him. With Braylon's return at the start of the season in question, their best bet would probably be to resign him with a reworked contract. He's getting a few feelers in the market as well so resigning him for less may not be possible. But signing two decent FA's to take his place isn't realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread