What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (3 Viewers)

Even worse when you consider he's been suspended for gambling and has had personal issues that kept him from the game.
i take Ridley's word at face value regarding these events in ATL and it really shouldn't be a concern after last season i think.

assuming Levis is at least as good as his good days last season, I expect a similar split between Ridley & Hopkins (as Meno said, assuming Nuk is still in Tennessee to start the season, which I believe is likely) as Ridley & Kirk '23. iirc Ridley started the season hot but Kirk outpaced Ridley in targets down the stretch before his injury, plus Engram was the top dog in that regard. Fantasy viability is high end WR2 for both he and Hopkins imo.
Maybe but I am not a believer in Levis. I think he's like trash. It stinks more the longer you let it sit around.
yea i can't argue with that. saw his "good" having had Nuk on my team last year and I think there is enough there for fantasy production. i dunno about NFL "good."

Maybe but I am not a believer in Levis. I think he's like trash. It stinks more the longer you let it sit around.
I’m optimistic but we’ll see. I think he has the ability to be an above average starting QB. they’ve started to put the team around him, so the excuses can stop.
Same. I thought Levis made several impressive throws and mostly made good decisions with the ball. Consistency was an issue, but it almost always is with rookie QBs.

I will say I think Ridley is signing up for more deep shots. I think Hopkins has always been a better WR than Ridley has been since Ridley was drafted, and that hasn't changed yet. They should complement each other nicely though as Hopkins makes the tough catches and Ridley hits the big plays. Add in Pollard being further removed from his injury, and Spears being a nice sparkplug, and there's some talent here, and who knows, maybe Callahan gets something out of Phillips/Burks?

If the Titans can improve OT, this could be a sneaky good offense.

Just passing along his reported contract numbers are legit.

About $46m and change totally guaranteed but the other $3-4 essentially is since it vests when the new league year starts in 2025 and his contract is guaranteed that year so he will see it.

Pretty straightforward, no guarantees after 2 years but contract does not have some bogus amount at the end everyone knows he won’t see. Just gives Titans ability to take it year to year the last 2 seasons of the deal.

Calvin Ridley said Friday that he wants to “run all the routes” in the Titans offense.
“Let me run across the field. Across the field I’m a 4.1 guy,” Ridley said during his introductory press conference after the Titans signed him to a four-year deal worth $92 million. The implication, of course, is that his route tree was limited in Jacksonville. He spent most of 2023 as a boundary receiver seeing low-percentage sideline shots from Trevor Lawrence. More slot usage and more intermediate targets would make Ridley a far more reliable fantasy option in Tennessee. Patrick Daugherty, Denny Carter, and Kyle Dvorchak talked about Ridley in the Titans offense on Thursday’s Rotoworld Football Show.

Calvin Ridley said Friday that he wants to “run all the routes” in the Titans offense.
“Let me run across the field. Across the field I’m a 4.1 guy,”
Music to my ears, especialy the bolded, that's where he was so successful in Atlanta, where he was so oddly not used in Jacksonville.

That the Jags passing game coordinator came over to the Titans gave me some pause on it happening again, so this is really nice to hear, not just empty player talk to me.

“Let me run across the field. Across the field I’m a 4.1 guy,”
Music to my ears, especialy the bolded, that's where he was so successful in Atlanta, where he was so oddly not used in Jacksonville.

That the Jags passing game coordinator came over to the Titans gave me some pause on it happening again, so this is really nice to hear, not just empty player talk to me.
Was going to point out the bolded, but ya beat me to it.

I’ll believe this when I see it. Ridley was more effective in ATL because he was younger and didn’t take ~2 years off.

He may just be who he is now.

ATL because he was younger and didn’t take ~2 years off.

Or you might just a real pent up dislike for him. We'll see.
I have nothing personal against Ridley. There’s no dislike of him, pent up or otherwise.

I’m just saying maybe there’s a reason they didn’t use him over the middle more.

And it is the same passing game coordinator - why would he suddenly have a revelation about using him differently now with arguably a worse QB?

I have nothing personal against Ridley. There’s no dislike of him, pent up or otherwise.

I’m just saying maybe there’s a reason they didn’t use him over the middle more.

And it is the same passing game coordinator - why would he suddenly have a revelation about using him differently now with arguably a worse QB?
Feel like you've been ripping him every chance you get for awhile and some odd stuff I don't want to delve into that you were going off on last year. I'll leave it at.

That OC is not running the show, has that title, it's a Callahan operation, his offense. Probably second in pecking order now in terms of offense vs no better then third in Jac but either was not and is not the final decision maker but I always though his prescence was a factor in bringing Ridley over. But saying how Ridley was used was not up to him then or now.

Theres lots of reasons to not be very optimistic about Ridley.
I understand the optimism. I just don’t think it’s entirely justified.

Also, not for nothin, some players get that big bag & perform well. Some, well, don’t.

Maybe he’ll surprise & have a monster age 30 season after getting all that guaranteed $ on the Titans air raid offense. :oldunsure:

What are folks thinking his ceiling is? Genuinely curious what the most optimistic current projections are.

What do we think his redraft ADP will be?

Feel like you've been ripping him every chance you get for awhile and some odd stuff I don't want to delve into that you were going off on last year. I'll leave it at.
That’s only because I watched him play almost every week.

Also I think you’re exaggerating/mischaracterizing my comments about him, but whatever. You do you I guess.

That OC is not running the show, has that title, it's a Callahan operation, his offense. Probably second in pecking order now in terms of offense vs no better then third in Jac but either was not and is not the final decision maker but I always though his prescence was a factor in bringing Ridley over. But saying how Ridley was used was not up to him then or now.
Ok, so assuming you’re right, what’s his ceiling?

Plant your flag. Let’s hear some projections for 2024.

Maybe he’ll surprise & have a monster age 30 season
Why don't we deal with 2024 first.
He turns 30 during the season. It’s his age 30 season.

Last year was his age 29 season. No one took umbrage when I called it that last year.
Generally like talking to you but not over this. You are not unbaised no matter what you say and labeling his age 30 season he's likely to turn that age in the last week or two of the seaon is just making you lose credibility with me I'd rather drop it now then continue to lose more.

Last year was his age 29 season. No one took umbrage when I called it that last year.
Generally like talking to you but not over this. You are not unbaised no matter what you say and labeling his age 30 season he's likely to turn that age in the last week or two of the seaon is just making you lose credibility with me I'd rather drop it now then continue to lose more.
Fine - it’s not a hill I care about enough to die on. I’ll call it his age 29 season II. Claiming I “lose credibility” because I know when his birthday is, is whack though.

This all reeks of avoiding the question - let’s hear your projections for 2024. You’re the optimistic one.

Ceiling?
Realistic?
Floor?

What do you see Ridley doing in TEN?

True but the “he just turned 30” hysteria is odd to me. Don’t think there is a physical drop off from 29 to 30 , especially for a guy who sat out almost two years and didn’t have the wear and tear.

Plus his BD is December 20th so he will be 29 for the entire FF season 😎

True but the “he just turned 30” hysteria is odd to me. Don’t think there is a physical drop off from 29 to 30 , especially for a guy who sat out almost two years and didn’t have the wear and tear.

Plus his BD is December 20th so he will be 29 for the entire FF season 😎
I agree with you.

I didn’t mean to imply there was an age 30 cliff, and I’m mystified as to why calling it his age 30 season is so outrageous that it requires a response much less an argument.

It’s just math - that was hardly a focal point of my post, nor were there any connotations to it. If yall wanna call it his age 29 season, that’s fine too. I don’t care at all.

My concerns about Ridley are based entirely on what I saw of him in JAX. To me, he didn’t look as good as he did before the injury/suspension.

And his new QB isn’t as good as his last one, IMO.

And he just got a big bag, which doesn’t always motivate players.

He could be 28 or 32 and I’d still be a little hesitant to spend what’s likely going to be a 3rd or 4th round redraft pick on him. That’s why I’m asking for projections - I could be convinced otherwise. It’s still early.

He's going around WR34 right now on Underdog. That seems OK for me.

FLowers
Odunze
Jayden Reed
Pickens
McLaruin
Ridley
Kirk
Addison

I'd probably re-do that tier a little but by and large seems fine. Last year he was massively inconsistent and was not someone I liked plugging into my lineup with confidence. Big ol crapshoot with Levis back there. Hopefully for all their sakes, the OLine gets a boost.

He's going around WR34 right now on Underdog. That seems OK for me.

FLowers
Odunze
Jayden Reed
Pickens
McLaruin
Ridley
Kirk
Addison
That seems like a fair group to put him in with.

I’m probably in on Pickens, TMc, maybe Kirk over him.
I'd probably re-do that tier a little but by and large seems fine. Last year he was massively inconsistent and was not someone I liked plugging into my lineup with confidence. Big ol crapshoot with Levis back there. Hopefully for all their sakes, the OLine gets a boost.
The bolded was my experience with him in redraft last year.

He’d have a monster game, then do nothing for so long that I’d be forced to bench him, then he’d blow up my bench & proceed to do very little for the next few games.

Definitely a frustrating player to roster.

But the ADP seems fair as WR34 - a WR3-4 type. I wonder if that will climb as we head to redraft season.

PFF grades the signing an A, with a C+ value.

They apparently share some of my concerns, including his age.
The Titans did have a need at wide receiver, but there is some risk to paying Ridley more than $90 million when he’s going to turn 30 in December. Tennessee is also paying Ridley as a top-10 wide receiver even though he ranked 45th in PFF receiving grade, 50th in yards per route run and in the top 25 in drop rate this past season.

Titans head coach Brian Callahan said Calvin Ridley’s role will be “very similar” to Ja’Marr Chase’s role in the Bengals offense.
It’s quite the statement from Callahan, Cincinnati’s former offensive coordinator. A Chase-like role for Ridley in 2024 would mean more intermediate pass routes and more routes from the slot. It would represent a marked change over his role in the Jaguars offense, where he mostly ran deep sideline routes and saw low-percentage targets from Trevor Lawrence. Being used across the formation — not just the boundary — and seeing more middle of the field targets would dramatically change Ridley’s fantasy profile in 2024. It would be a welcomed change for the veteran wideouts, who this month said he wants to “run all the routes” in Tennessee’s offense.

Titans head coach Brian Callahan said Calvin Ridley’s role will be “very similar” to Ja’Marr Chase’s role in the Bengals offense.
It’s quite the statement from Callahan, Cincinnati’s former offensive coordinator. A Chase-like role for Ridley in 2024 would mean more intermediate pass routes and more routes from the slot. It would represent a marked change over his role in the Jaguars offense, where he mostly ran deep sideline routes and saw low-percentage targets from Trevor Lawrence. Being used across the formation — not just the boundary — and seeing more middle of the field targets would dramatically change Ridley’s fantasy profile in 2024. It would be a welcomed change for the veteran wideouts, who this month said he wants to “run all the routes” in Tennessee’s offense.
Not sure what this really means, but it doesn’t sound bad.

Not sure what this really means, but it doesn’t sound bad.
I think it means that Ridley is their WR#1 and that he will be used in multiple ways rather than the more limited role he had with the Jaguars who used him as a deep threat boundary player almost exclusively.

PFF grades the signing an A, with a C+ value.

They apparently share some of my concerns, including his age.
The Titans did have a need at wide receiver, but there is some risk to paying Ridley more than $90 million when he’s going to turn 30 in December. Tennessee is also paying Ridley as a top-10 wide receiver even though he ranked 45th in PFF receiving grade, 50th in yards per route run and in the top 25 in drop rate this past season.
This is a disingenuous statement by them, where they act like TEN is paying him 90 mill. It's 2 years, 48 mill. If they cut him after that it's 10 mill in dead cap. And if he goes Keenan Allen, and plays well, then cap numbers of 26 mill in '26 and '27 are even doable.

The money that is guaranteed is for his age 30/31 season. I get that he is not young, but committing money to a 30 year old WR for 2 years----I don't see a problem here.

Ridley did not look bad this year. he had quiet games, that burned his fantasy owners, and that was frustrating. Somehow, the storyline is that Ridley is bad, and old. When in fact, he was really good from the time he got to JAX, and is only old by dynasty owner standards. Ridley has a pretty bad image, and it mainly stems from fantasy owners.

Add in the fact that Levis has zero fans in the Draft Twittersphere, and he might wind up being a value.

I get the excitement from fantasy owners from Callahan's statement; but from a real world perspective I just don't think Ridley's shown to be a WR1 yet tbh. Not saying he couldn't, but watching his tape (own him in multiple leagues) and seeing analytics guy breakdown the numbers, everything to me points to him being a very good WR2 much more so than a WR1. I think he will still struggle against teams top CBs, let alone double teams. He also wins much more when schemed for in the play design and calling, and don't see him as a guy who just goes out there and wins his matchup on his own. I totally agree the Jags did him a disservice last year with how they used him, and I'd expect him to do better in Tennessee. But I'd caution against buying into any kind of hype that pushes him up in drafts. I'm comfortable with where he's at now as a mid to low end WR3, but I have a feeling that's gonna rise to a point where the risk isn't worth the reward.

Edit: Should the Titans grab a good WR in the early 2nd round of the draft, I would feel better about him. A McConkey or Franklin on the team who hits the ground running and can get on the field sooner than later would help take some pressure off. Even a speedster like Worthy to keep secondaries honest.

Last edited:
The fatal flaw with the hype about that statement is Chase >>>> Ridley

I want to use my Birkenstocks like Air Jordans when I go hoop it up later.

On the way I want to use my 1986 Honda Civic Hatchback like a 2024 Porche.

The money that is guaranteed is for his age 30/31 season
Sigh..... He'll play likely 15 games next year as a 29 year old and 14-15 the following season as a 30 year old. Those are the two seasons he's being paid for and whether or not he's up for it people will disagree on but that's top of the line #1WR money.

Easy way to boil down his contract is he's getting exactly $50m guaranteed for those two seasons above and will pick up another $1.02M if he plays all 34 games.

If they want him for most of his age 31 season in 2026 he'll cost them another $18.22M for that season with another half a million in per game incentives and same thing in 2027 just tack on another $3.02m to it. No idea if he'll see those years or not. All I see is $25 -$25.5M guaranteed for each of the next two seasons and yes that commitment most absolutely matters to me for gauging his fantasy outlook.

Users who are viewing this thread