What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (2 Viewers)

I can guarantee he doesn't make a fool of himself in that 2 minute drill if he had remained on the bench.  Tomlin just didn't put him on restriction long enough.
That's great but I guarantee you the team does not move the ball down the field with a chance to tie if he's still sitting on the bench.

That's great but I guarantee you the team does not move the ball down the field with a chance to tie if he's still sitting on the bench.
So, in the end, Chase had a great game, embarrassed his coach, his team, his city, his state, his country, his continent, and his planet, and PIT still lost?

So, in the end, Chase had a great game, embarrassed his coach, his team, his city, his state, his country, his continent, and his planet, and PIT still lost?
I don't know about all of that.

Claypool made two boneheaded mistakes and mixed in some really big time plays. I'm not pinning the loss on him and I'm a lot more embarrassed about Dalvin Cook running for 200+ on us to be honest.

I don't know about all of that.

Claypool made two boneheaded mistakes and mixed in some really big time plays. I'm not pinning the loss on him and I'm a lot more embarrassed about Dalvin Cook running for 200+ on us to be honest.
Of course I was exaggerating, but I don't buy the idea that a player's talent determines how boneheaded he can be.  I wonder if a certain hooded coach would allow it?

Of course I was exaggerating, but I don't buy the idea that a player's talent determines how boneheaded he can be.  I wonder if a certain hooded coach would allow it?

He's about as intolerant as it gets so who knows, certainly possible he'd have benched him the whole game.

One thing to consider. Maybe it's possible some of the secret sauce in Steelers ability to get good draft discounts on a lot of WR's is perhaps they got character red flags? Take Antonio Brown as an example. Back when his stuff with the Raiders blew up two people on twitter, one an ex scout with Giants and Bears and the other guy a current scout were on twitter saying this is why they did not draft AB with their teams and basically acting justified about it. I suggested to both of them they were a bit thick in the head if they felt in hindsight AB was not worth more then a 6th round pick but my point is they took a chance on a guy some teams did not want to touch and no matter how it ended it was worth it.

Also as badly as it ended and seemingly little return the Steelers got back for him one AB one of those picks ended up being Diontae Johnson. I can't remember where I heard it but one of the knocks on Diontae coming out was that he just did not love football.

I just think it's possible to consider the team is taking on some character risks on idea that Tomlin and his staff and keep them in line and as WR's go most of the time it's worked.

BTW- that game with Winslow in your sig is still the greatest football game I can recall watching and what really grabbed my attention and made me a fan of the game.

BTW- that game with Winslow in your sig is still the greatest football game I can recall watching and what really grabbed my attention and made me a fan of the game.
Both coaches said that may have been the greatest game ever played.  I remember Kellen being helped off the field multiple times.  To this day, he is my favorite player of all time.

I mean I agree it was not smart and a bad look... but I think this thing has blown up a bit too much.  Ppl acting like he should be cancelled for doing a quick point that probably costed the team 2 seconds since they were all still running up to get set. 

Again, I 100 percent think it wasn't smart and am not defending it, but the backlash has gotten a bit out of hand.

I mean I agree it was not smart and a bad look... but I think this thing has blown up a bit too much.  Ppl acting like he should be cancelled for doing a quick point that probably costed the team 2 seconds since they were all still running up to get set. 

Again, I 100 percent think it wasn't smart and am not defending it, but the backlash has gotten a bit out of hand.
Actually, it needs to be more out of hand.  That bonehead showboating definitely cost them at least 1 play, and maybe 2.  And PIT ran out of time on 1st down because of it.  Would they have tied it up with 1 or 2 more plays?  We will never know.

Now, I could possibly get behind him if he didn't react so negatively afterwards, but he obviously learned nothing and will do it again.  

Actually, it needs to be more out of hand.  That bonehead showboating definitely cost them at least 1 play, and maybe 2.  And PIT ran out of time on 1st down because of it.  Would they have tied it up with 1 or 2 more plays?  We will never know.

Now, I could possibly get behind him if he didn't react so negatively afterwards, but he obviously learned nothing and will do it again.  
2 plays????  The team still had to run up and the ref still had to come get the ball. Even if he ran to the line of scrimmage after he was down then it's probably 3 seconds he could have saved.  

There is zero chance Claypool had any clue where the ref was or how far back his lineman were when he did his 1st down point. That was 100% "look at me" with total disregard to anything else. I definitely believe that if his head were completely in the football situational moment he *also* would not have let a defender knock it out of his hands. Not easily anyway. His response about how he knew where the ref was and all that was complete BS. Even if he really was as aware as he says, you can't do that crap. Hold the ball for dear life and stand over the spot. 

The personal foul on that first drive was really bad, too. Just shoves the defenders face right in front of the referee. That is bad but the worst part is that he was actually surprised it got called and complained about it. Like, what is the actual argument there? You put your hand on his facemask and shoved him. After the play. Two feet from the ref. I mean yes the guy will live and they're not playing a kids game out there, but you *must* be punished for shoving a dude's face in front of the ref. And there is no argument to be made. It isn't the act itself it is the lack of understanding about it.

He isn't the first, though, and he is only 23. I agree that this is a bit overblown. I think his future is still very bright and if anything he just became *more* of a buy low than he already was. The league is chalked full of selfish guys like him. 

ETA - refs should have called a penalty for the defender that knocked the ball loose

There is zero chance Claypool had any clue where the ref was or how far back his lineman were when he did his 1st down point. That was 100% "look at me" with total disregard to anything else. I definitely believe that if his head were completely in the football situational moment he *also* would not have let a defender knock it out of his hands. Not easily anyway. His response about how he knew where the ref was and all that was complete BS. Even if he really was as aware as he says, you can't do that crap. Hold the ball for dear life and stand over the spot. 

The personal foul on that first drive was really bad, too. Just shoves the defenders face right in front of the referee. That is bad but the worst part is that he was actually surprised it got called and complained about it. Like, what is the actual argument there? You put your hand on his facemask and shoved him. After the play. Two feet from the ref. I mean yes the guy will live and they're not playing a kids game out there, but you *must* be punished for shoving a dude's face in front of the ref. And there is no argument to be made. It isn't the act itself it is the lack of understanding about it.

He isn't the first, though, and he is only 23. I agree that this is a bit overblown. I think his future is still very bright and if anything he just became *more* of a buy low than he already was. The league is chalked full of selfish guys like him. 

ETA - refs should have called a penalty for the defender that knocked the ball loose
It should have been a defensive delay of penalty, 5 yards, and a stopped clock. It cost the Steelers 10 seconds. 

LINK

That bonehead showboating definitely cost them at least 1 play, and maybe 2. 

Yup, this overreaction and exaggeration is crazy.  If you break down the tape, the celebration wasted 2 seconds.  The Steelers snapped the ball with 3 seconds left for their final play.  Add 2 seconds and they would have done it at 5.... so he cost the team 0-1 plays.  Dumb move but ppl gotta chill.

"There was no ref to give the ball to, so it's not like he cost his team a ton of time. However, if Claypool had run straight to the ref instead of celebrating, he probably could have saved one or two set 5conds, but he definitely didn't cost his team eight to 10 seconds like some people on the internet seem to think."

Yup, this overreaction and exaggeration is crazy.  If you break down the tape, the celebration wasted 2 seconds.  The Steelers snapped the ball with 3 seconds left for their final play.  Add 2 seconds and they would have done it at 5.... so he cost the team 0-1 plays.  Dumb move but ppl gotta chill.

"There was no ref to give the ball to, so it's not like he cost his team a ton of time. However, if Claypool had run straight to the ref instead of celebrating, he probably could have saved one or two set 5conds, but he definitely didn't cost his team eight to 10 seconds like some people on the internet seem to think."
Oh, don't even try to say he may have cost his team no plays.  He for sure cost them 1.  I said 1 or 2, you said 0 or 1, so let's agree on 1.  1 play that we will never get to see because of Chase.  As I said, if he would've stood up and said he is a complete moron and only cares about himself, I could at least begin to feel for him.  But he did nothing wrong as far as he is concerned, and he will do more crap like this.

Oh, don't even try to say he may have cost his team no plays.  He for sure cost them 1.  I said 1 or 2, you said 0 or 1, so let's agree on 1.  1 play that we will never get to see because of Chase.  As I said, if he would've stood up and said he is a complete moron and only cares about himself, I could at least begin to feel for him.  But he did nothing wrong as far as he is concerned, and he will do more crap like this.
Again, it may have cost them a play, but there's a pretty low chance they convert on that play AND the 2 point conversion, AND win in OT.

Not defending what he did at all.  It was dumb.  But the odds that he lost his team the game are incredibly minuscule.   TONS of players do stupid stuff that actually cost their team games (penalties, especially Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties) and don't get 10% of the heat he is getting. 

But hey, a lineman being dumb and holding a guy and costing his team the game wouldn't make for cool memes and forum discussions.

Again, it may have cost them a play, but there's a pretty low chance they convert on that play AND the 2 point conversion, AND win in OT.

Not defending what he did at all.  It was dumb.  But the odds that he lost his team the game are incredibly minuscule.   TONS of players do stupid stuff that actually cost their team games (penalties, especially Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties) and don't get 10% of the heat he is getting. 

But hey, a lineman being dumb and holding a guy and costing his team the game wouldn't make for cool memes and forum discussions.
Let me just ask - if Chase would've stood up at a podium after the game and said, "Yeah, I know I cost my team a few seconds, but I don't care.  I am so good that I deserve to do whatever I want, whenever I want."

Would you say people need to chill if he said that?  Because he basically did.

Let me just ask - if Chase would've stood up at a podium after the game and said, "Yeah, I know I cost my team a few seconds, but I don't care.  I am so good that I deserve to do whatever I want, whenever I want."

Would you say people need to chill if he said that?  Because he basically did.
He didn't basically say that at all.  He said he made a mistake.  Also said that it's being overblown.  Both of those things are true.

But yes, in a world where athletes' quotes get analyzed to death, he definitely should have said something different.  Bad PR from him for sure, I fully agree.

Again, I'm not defending what he did.  But it wasn't NEAR as bad as you and many people are saying.  Players do WAY dumber things that have WAY more of an impact on their games and get SIGNIFICANTLY less press/pushback for it. 

He didn't basically say that at all.  He said he made a mistake.  Also said that it's being overblown.  Both of those things are true.

But yes, in a world where athletes' quotes get analyzed to death, he definitely should have said something different.  Bad PR from him for sure, I fully agree.

Again, I'm not defending what he did.  But it wasn't NEAR as bad as you and many people are saying.  Players do WAY dumber things that have WAY more of an impact on their games and get SIGNIFICANTLY less press/pushback for it. 
Oh, I agree.  I'm just having fun blowing it out of proportion.   ;)

Any idea why he was throwing a spazz after Ben clocked the ball?  I watched the video a few times, and can't figure out why.

Oh, I agree.  I'm just having fun blowing it out of proportion.   ;)

Any idea why he was throwing a spazz after Ben clocked the ball?  I watched the video a few times, and can't figure out why.
I'm assuming because the defender knocked the ball out of his hand which should have been an easy penalty call and the refs missed it.

Here ye, here ye.  I declare Chase Claypool the biggest fantasy dog of 2021.

2020 rookie stats

• 62 receptions
  • 873 receiving yards
  • 9 receiving TDs
  • 10 rushing attempts
  • 16 rushing yards
  • 2 rushing TDs
  • 11 total combined TDs
2021 stats

• 47 receptions
  • 765 receiving yards
  • 1 receiving TD
  • 11 rushing attempts
  • 63 rushing yards
  • 0 rushing TDs
  • 1 total combined TD
Yeah, yeah.  There are a couple more games to play, so he will add to these numbers, and we know they can't run the ball and Ben is kaput but come on ....

Negative 10 total combined TDs on the year?

Woof!  🐶

Risky play right now IMO.  Only 1 good fantasy game and a couple mediocre games.  If you have better options go with it.

Big time value pick next year - that td regression will correct itself, not to double digits but should be a 6-8 td guy next year.

Thought it was interesting to see that Claypool is receiving extra defensive attention at a top-10 rate. Saw it on twitter the other day, will have to see if I can find it again. Guys like Adams, Waller, Kupp, McLaurin are all ahead of him which makes sense, but he’s up there despite Ben’s dead arm. 

You can call me Ray Johnson is stealing snaps.

Trending down.  📉

Steelers role reversal: Ray-Ray McCloud getting more playing time than Chase Claypool of late

...The Post-Gazette reported Wednesday that Claypool appeared to get into an argument with an assistant coach on the sidelines. Claypool’s playing time has been reduced in recent weeks.

Diontae Johnson, the Steelers, No. 1 receiver, played all but one snap against the Titans. Claypool is the Steelers’ No. 2 receiver, but his playing time has decreased in recent weeks with Ray-Ray McCloud garnering more snaps over the past three games.

The Titans game was the third consecutive game McCloud played more snaps than Claypool. Since playing 91% of the snaps against the Chargers and 98% of the snaps against the Bengals, Claypool’s playing time has decreased. He played 63% of the snaps against the Ravens, 59% of the snaps against the Vikings and 63% against the Titans.

Bracie Smathers said:
Here ye, here ye.  I declare Chase Claypool the biggest fantasy dog of 2021.

2020 rookie stats

• 62 receptions
  • 873 receiving yards
  • 9 receiving TDs
  • 10 rushing attempts
  • 16 rushing yards
  • 2 rushing TDs
  • 11 total combined TDs
2021 stats

• 47 receptions
  • 765 receiving yards
  • 1 receiving TD
  • 11 rushing attempts
  • 63 rushing yards
  • 0 rushing TDs
  • 1 total combined TD
Yeah, yeah.  There are a couple more games to play, so he will add to these numbers, and we know they can't run the ball and Ben is kaput but come on ....

Negative 10 total combined TDs on the year?

Woof!  🐶

Touchdowns are the most random stat for WR. 

What about Davante Adams? He's also minus 10 from last year. What a dog. 

Chase Claypool caught 3-of-9 targets for 17 yards in the Steelers' Week 17 win over the Browns.

With Big Ben averaging 2.7 yards per attempt, no Steelers pass-catchers were able to carve out big stat lines. Ray-Ray McCloud led the team with 35 receiving yards while Diontae Johnson caught the lone touchdown. Claypool's nine targets were third on the team, and they were mainly all contested on the outside in tight coverage. He took some big spills while trying to make tough grabs. Claypool has just one touchdown on the year, and it was all the way back in Week 5.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Claypool definitely has some growing to do, but I can’t imagine a worse skillset fit with Big Ben this year. We can’t know who they’ll get at QB for next year, but the Steelers are a premier franchise and Front Office for a reason and I think I’d give them better odds than most to find an above average replacement that fits what they want to do, despite their history of absolutely horrendous backup QBs who never developed satisfactorily.

I really just think they fell into the same trap the Giants did with Eli and let loyalty color their decision-making, hanging onto the past for way too long bc it’s just hard to move on and replace your franchise guy. But when they know they need to dedicate their resources to a full-on replacement, even in a down year for blue chip rookie QBs (but a good year for depth of guys with potential imo—it’s the 1-2 cream of the crop studs at the top who are missing)? I think they’ll figure something out which will boost Claypool tremendously. A great buy opportunity given how disappointed his owners will be entering the offseason—but everyone knows they’ll replace Ben so that may end up priced in even for doubters. Hard to say. 

Chase Claypool said he is trying to be more versatile in 2022. 

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly noted that Claypool was working at multiple positions during OTAs. Pittsburgh lost JuJu Smith-Schuster and Ray-Ray McCloud in free agency. JuJu was their primary slot receiver for years before going down for most of 2021. In his absence, McCloud led the Steelers' receivers in slot snaps. With both gone, the team doesn't have a clear answer for their slot receiver vacancy, though it sounds like Claypool could move inside more often. Claypool would be a nightmare for smaller corners to cover, causing potential mismatches whenever he mans the slot. Coming off an underwhelming second season, an expanded role would be a welcomed change for Claypool.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 1, 2022, 4:06 PM ET

As someone who bailed on Claypool and sold high after his unexpected rookie season, I think the pendulum has finished swinging the other way. Seems like a good dynasty buy at the moment. There's certainly risk that Pickens just supplants him entirely and he only goes down from here, but I think his price is finally dropping to the point where the risk/upside combo make sense to spend a 2nd or something on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming forward to help others who may be struggling with mental health issues.

Props to Chase Claypool.

------------------------------------------------------

I AM ATHLETE@IAMATHLETEpod

A moment of Vulnerability An example. A voice. A human.

@chaseclaypool

It’s okay to not be okay. #MentalHealthMatters Episode Drops TODAY @ 12PM EST #ChaseClaypool #Steelers #Haskins #RIP #MentalHealth

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/player-news?id=6055

Chase Claypool injures shoulder

Chase Claypool - WR, PIT

Steelers WR2 Chase Claypool left the field with a shoulder injury on Friday.

Dynasty Analysis

The severity of the injury isn't yet known. Speaking on the injury, head coach Mike Tomlin said "It's probably not serious." The Steelers are now down two receivers in camp as WR1 Diontae Johnson continues to "hold-in," with the team but performing individual drills on the sideline.

As long as Claypool returns to the field in short-order, there shouldn't be any negative consequence from a dynasty perspective, but DLF's WR34 has been trending down as evidenced by his current ADP 84 value from 49 this past January. Chase Claypool is clearly in a make-or-break season now as the team's WR2.

Skinny Post: Brandon Marshall believes Chase Claypool can be a top-three receiver in the NFL
...“Just look at him,” said Marshall, a Pittsburgh native. “He’s 6-(foot)-5. He’s 225 pounds. He has great ball skills. Why not? Now, all he has to do is put the mental together. You have to go out there and know what you’re up against, and you have to have a championship routine in place. How do you recover? How do you do it every single day? Can I do it again and again and again? Can he do it? Absolutely.

...The Steelers signed Diontae Johnson through the 2024 season last week and drafted George Pickens in the second round of this year’s draft.

Pickens has been a standout in camp so far and looks like he’s going to make an impact as a rookie. If Claypool doesn’t have a bounce-back season, he’ll be staring at the very real possibility of being the No. 3 receiver on the Steelers.

Everybody is down on Claypool.

I didn’t own any Steelers last year, so I didn’t get to watch much of their team.

Has he really fallen this far from his electric first season?

He can be had in the 10th or later rounds in most cases i’m seeing. He was actually just dropped by a team in one of my redraft leagues.

Has he really fallen this far from his electric first season?

Yes, but if you ask me, he'll still be a contributor. He's falling too far. Apparently he's starting outside in 2WR sets, moving inside to the slot in 3WR sets. That should leave him with plenty of opportunity. I think his fall from grace was a mixture of attitude and the more technical points of receiving, according to most of the beat writers that cover the Steelers.

Last season he could not high point the ball against anyone, and would fall on every pass thrown his way. It was embarrassing to watch. He needs to stay on his feet, and use his body as leverage against smaller DBs. Nobody knows if he's learned from last season's abysmal performances yet. There is some value as a late round pick dart throw, but I wouldn't invest more than that. He has much to prove this season.

Last season he could not high point the ball against anyone, and would fall on every pass thrown his way. It was embarrassing to watch. He needs to stay on his feet, and use his body as leverage against smaller DBs. Nobody knows if he's learned from last season's abysmal performances yet. There is some value as a late round pick dart throw, but I wouldn't invest more than that. He has much to prove this season.

I should qualify what I said. I meant "football contributor," not fantasy contributor. He'll be a player on the team, but I don't expect him to put up great stats. At least that's not how he's trending. I faded him in those little blurbs we were doing about teams. Everybody seems to have faded him, though, so it's not like I'm on to something new or anything.

I should qualify what I said. I meant "football contributor," not fantasy contributor. He'll be a player on the team, but I don't expect him to put up great stats. At least that's not how he's trending. I faded him in those little blurbs we were doing about teams. Everybody seems to have faded him, though, so it's not like I'm on to something new or anything.
Honestly, he could come back and prove me wrong, and I would gladly take that as a Steeler fan.

As is, I see him as probably 4th in the pecking order of mouths to feed, behind DJ, Pat, and Najee. He has the size, and showed the ability to make plays in his rookie season, and needs to build on that.

Chase Claypool caught 4-of-6 targets for 18 yards, adding six rushes for 36 yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Claypool was used in a semi-hybrid role against the Bengals. He rushed six times, including a goal line carry. Unfortunately, he had only half as many targets as Diontae Johnson, and Pat Freiermuth (10) out-targeted Claypool as well. Unless the Steelers offense—which totaled just 267 yards—takes a step forward, Claypool will be a risky WR4 play. However, his rushing usage gives him some additional upside against the Patriots in Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Chase Claypool caught 7-of-7 targets for 96 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Bucs, adding an eight-yard rush.

The 96 yards receiving were Claypool's most in over a year, while the touchdown was his first of 2022. He had just two grabs for 20 yards at halftime but caught fire after Mitch Trubisky came on in favor of an injured Kenny Pickett (concussion). Claypool literally sealed the game by converting both a 3rd-and-16 and 3rd-and-11 on the Steelers' final possession. They were tough catches in traffic, too. An admirable day but one that will be difficult to replicate as the Steelers continue to play musical chairs both with their approach and quarterback. Claypool has at least stabilized as a WR4 with 12 grabs for 144 yards and a score over his past two appearances. The Dolphins are on tap for Week 7.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread