What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (1 Viewer)

What on earth happened to him yesterday? I didn't get to watch the game.
He and Ben were not on the same page a couple times. He had some chances though and with his locked in target share I have to assume much bigger weeks are ahead. But he may be a bit raw still. Ben had him on at least a couple big throws and missed. But I got the impression Ben was expecting Chase to do something different than he did. Meaning it was not a bad throw. Per se. IDK. I think it was just a bad game and it happens.

He and Ben were not on the same page a couple times. He had some chances though and with his locked in target share I have to assume much bigger weeks are ahead. But he may be a bit raw still. Ben had him on at least a couple big throws and missed. But I got the impression Ben was expecting Chase to do something different than he did. Meaning it was not a bad throw. Per se. IDK. I think it was just a bad game and it happens.
Agreed...hard to know who was at fault on some of those.  Of course...it happens the week I finally play him (and Pittman too this week threw up duds).

Target share is nice to still see.

Agreed...hard to know who was at fault on some of those.  Of course...it happens the week I finally play him (and Pittman too this week threw up duds).

What on earth happened to him yesterday? I didn't get to watch the game.
####. I forgot to mention and it is important. He went to the locker room in the first half at one point. He wasn't out for terribly long but IDK maybe 10-15 minutes in real time? But he was involved as soon as he got back in and played the rest of the game. I never heard what it was about.

That was my starting pair too over not wanting another stinker from Allen Robinson or Waddle (oops)

Agree the targets are still nice. He's a big play waiting to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do people think for rest of season outlook? The schedule lightens up a bit with Chicago then Detroit. Hoping he can get things going. Surprised they’re not being more creative with him and doing more jet sweeps and end arounds, running plays they drew up quite often last year. Only 4 carries on the year, though 2 of them were last week. 

What do people think for rest of season outlook? The schedule lightens up a bit with Chicago then Detroit. Hoping he can get things going. Surprised they’re not being more creative with him and doing more jet sweeps and end arounds, running plays they drew up quite often last year. Only 4 carries on the year, though 2 of them were last week. 
I think this is partly to blame…

Ben Roethlisberger has completed 25.8 percent of his pass attempts of 20 yards or more, the second lowest rate in the league. 

He's just kinda hovering around my bench or WR3 spot each week. Always debating whether or not to use him. But watching Ben these days is painful. Started Claypool vs. Seattle a couple of weeks ago, and it was brutal. Think I'm going to with Toney or Bateman over him this week. I'd probably sell low right now if someone wanted him.

He's just kinda hovering around my bench or WR3 spot each week. Always debating whether or not to use him. But watching Ben these days is painful. Started Claypool vs. Seattle a couple of weeks ago, and it was brutal. Think I'm going to with Toney or Bateman over him this week. I'd probably sell low right now if someone wanted him.
The Steelers will have a new QB next year. And the odds of them having a QB with a WORSE down field percentage I'd say is about .00001%. He's a hold IMO. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chase Claypool (toe) is considered "week-to-week."

The initial fear was that Claypool season was over but Rapoport noted that Claypool avoided the worst and will return at some point this year. With the young receiver likely out multiple weeks, the Pittsburgh offense will flow through Diontae Johnson and Najee Harris. Johnson is already averaging 9.9 targets per game on the year and that number should hit double-digits going forward. Pat Freiermuth has emerged as a contributor lately and Claypool's absence will ensure he remains on the field even after Eric Ebron returns. James Washington will start and act as the Steelers' primary deep threat until Claypool returns.

RELATED: 

Diontae Johnson

, James Washington

, Najee Harris

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 5:23 PM ET

It's official and an official drop as I owned two shares and did not get the investment back. I'm out this year. Went Aiyuk in one league and Gallup in another. 

Chase Claypool (toe) did not practice for the second consecutive day on Thursday.

Ian Rapoport reported a "week-to-week" situation for Claypool yesterday and Claypool's practice participation is definitely trending in that direction. James Washington got some extra run in Monday night's game and figures to be the direct replacement for Claypool this week. We can't rule out an IR placement for Claypool either at this point. 

SOURCE: Brian Batko on Twitter

Nov 11, 2021, 3:28 PM ET

Local reports in Pittsburgh is that the toe injury is not serious and Claypool will likely only miss a game or two.  

I am not sure if they are getting this from someone in the Steelers organization, a doctor, or making it up.  Just passing along the info...

Chase Claypool (toe) was not given an injury designation for Week 11 against the Chargers. 

Claypool also got in a full practice Friday following limited sessions to start the week. Originally expected to miss multiple weeks because of a toe injury, Claypool ended up sitting out just one game. On the negative side, however, Claypool struggled in the three games before the injury, and it remains unclear if Ben Roethlisberger (COVID) will be available this week. All of that makes Claypool a risky fantasy bet. 

Nov 19, 2021, 7:05 PM ET

Anyone trust Claypool this week?
Wish that I could, but I just can't. 

Ben has been totally unable to get Claypool enough favorable looks, and they really haven't been in sync all season.   Roethlisberger can't throw the ball more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, which favors Dionte Johnson.   Add to that that Freiermuth has emerged as a red-zone target makes it even tougher for Claypool to make his mark.   

Wish that I could, but I just can't. 

Ben has been totally unable to get Claypool enough favorable looks, and they really haven't been in sync all season.   Roethlisberger can't throw the ball more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, which favors Dionte Johnson.   Add to that that Freiermuth has emerged as a red-zone target makes it even tougher for Claypool to make his mark.   
Sucky thing is I gotta pick two out of Claypool. Conklin, and Uzomah.  Yayy

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers defense missing 3 of their best players so Steelers will likely be playing from behind.

Still hard to trust Claypool, I’m just saying that it could be a factor 

Dropped him today in a redraft league where I have Darnell Mooney, Antonio Brown (out), Godwin, Cooks, Kadarius Toney, and Brandon Aiyuk. 

Ben can't take advantage of his natural deep speed and ballhawk skills. It's a lost cause this year, IMHO. 

Chase Claypool caught 5-of-9 targets for 93 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Chargers.

Claypool found himself wide open in the first half, but the aging Ben Roethlisberger underthrew him, causing Claypool to fall down on the catch. The second-year wideout would have had an even better line in the box score if that play had gone differently, but he was still productive with five catches for nearly 100 yards. Pittsburgh is thin at wideout after Diontae Johnson and Claypool, and you can consider the Notre Dame product a high-end flex or low-end WR2 in Week 12 against Cincinnati.

Nov 22, 2021, 12:01 AM ET

Chase Claypool confirmed he is playing through a "bad" case of turf toe. 

Claypool was tackled with his toe flexed in Week 9. He missed Week 10 but has since resumed practicing in full, and caught five passes for 93 yards in Week 11. He will be a big-play based WR3 for Week 12 vs. Cincinnati's struggling defense. 

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter 

Nov 25, 2021, 2:11 PM ET

Chase Claypool (toe) was upgraded to a full practice participant on Thursday.

Claypool is playing through a painful turf toe injury that had him sit out in Week 10, so this is a great sign for that injury trending in the right direction as he runs up against a Ravens defense that has not exactly impressed this year. He'll be an upside WR2/WR3 on target volume even with the Steelers offense not playing well of late. 

Dec 2, 2021, 3:52 PM ET

Week 13 Fantasy Football Stats: An RB1 finish for Antonio Gibson?

Excerpt:

Chase Claypool owns 37 percent of the air yards in games played since Week 8

Diontae Johnson sits at 39 percent with one more game played. After multiple injuries and issues across the board, this offense is extremely concentrated between these two players.

That makes it at least easy to project this unit ... even if playing non-Johnson receivers still doesn’t feel so easy.

Johnson gets so many targets in the short to intermediate areas that he’s a lock every single week. He’s sixth in receiving yards since Week 8. Claypool’s air yard volume comes on deep shots down the right side of the field when Ben Roethlisberger thinks he has single-coverage presnap. It’s inherently more volatile. However, maybe he hits on a few this week against a Ravens defense that’s 31st in explosive play rate allowed.

Chase Claypool (foot) did not practice Monday.

Claypool has been dealing with a bad case of turf toe for roughly a month. He missed one game because of it but logged snap shares over 90 percent in Weeks 11 and 12. That was dialed back to 63 percent last week, possibly indicating that the issue is getting worse. We still expect him to play this week but his status is worth monitoring as the Steelers get a short turnaround. They face the Vikings on Thursday.

Dec 6, 2021, 4:01 PM ET

Chase Claypool caught 8-of-9 targets for 93 yards in Pittsburgh's Week 14 loss to Minnesota. 

It's important to note that Claypool did this despite getting benched for a large section of the middle of the game. He made several costly errors for the Steelers: He drew a personal foul call that killed an early drive, nearly fumbled on a quick pass to the outside that had to be reviewed, and also wasted precious seconds on the final drive of the game by celebrating a first down as the Steelers were out of timeouts. Claypool admitted after the game that he's "definitely got to be better." It was still a nice night in the fantasy box score, and assuming he's not put in a dog house, he'll have a chance to be on the WR3 line against the Titans in Week 15. 

Dec 10, 2021, 12:43 AM ET

Agreed. Had at least 3 standout bad moments that cost his team.
Yes, the first one I thought was on the Vikings until they replayed it and saw him push the other guys facemask while walking away.  I didn't see the second one, but the 3rd one was crazy.  How conceded are you to celebrate your individual play over worrying about the team and winning.  

I own him in one league and its an overreaction, but I will look to move on from him.  I like his talent, but if this is what to expect moving forward I would rather have someone else of similar value on my team.

The guy is a stone cold moron, and that was hard to watch last night. Unfortunately that can be said about some great WR’s, and he’s still young. Especially with Tomlin, maybe such a pronounced, national display of idiocy will speed up his character growth. We can only hope. 

Purely football perspective…he was in the dog house for a good chunk of the game, but look who they went to in the clutch when they had to make a potential game-trying drive. He’s a dummy, but the dude is talented and they know it. 

He's not talented enough to bring so much drama and so many negative plays.  

He's still 23 so maybe he eventually gets it.

Too much “Gonna get mine…”

Waste of talent.  

Hate to say it as a Steelers fan, but this points to coaching IMO. Good teams emphasize situational football and it can be the difference between winning and losing tight ballgames. Look at teams like NEP, TEN, TBB, others in that situation… WR’s first thought is to get up, and sprint to spot the ball before the refs come and get it from you. Every second counts in the 2-minute drill.

Maybe if they let them listen to music and dance more at practice, things like this wouldn't happen. 🤣

Hate to say it as a Steelers fan, but this points to coaching IMO. Good teams emphasize situational football and it can be the difference between winning and losing tight ballgames. Look at teams like NEP, TEN, TBB, others in that situation… WR’s first thought is to get up, and sprint to spot the ball before the refs come and get it from you. Every second counts in the 2-minute drill.

Maybe if they let them listen to music and dance more at practice, things like this wouldn't happen. 🤣
no way.  you can't coach the idiocy out of people.  you gonna blame coaches for how AB acted, how TO acted, etc.  Often times it is simply on the player ... period.

Minnesota LB Eric Kendricks took ball out of Claypool’s hands and covertly tossed it behind his back. Took 8 seconds to retrieve and spot the ball.

LINK

no way.  you can't coach the idiocy out of people.  you gonna blame coaches for how AB acted, how TO acted, etc.  Often times it is simply on the player ... period.
You certainly can coach idiocy out of players.  There is a bench-shaped thing on the sidelines for just this occasion.

Which would be were Tomlin sent Claypool earlier in the game so hard to say that method worked.
I can guarantee he doesn't make a fool of himself in that 2 minute drill if he had remained on the bench.  Tomlin just didn't put him on restriction long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread