What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chase Claypool, MIA (2 Viewers)

I think both Diontae and Claypool will ball out as long as Ben returns. JuJu leaving wouldn't hurt their numbers either. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Claypool...he is a big time talent and had a great rookie year, especially when you consider he plays with two other legit WRs...will be an interesting offseason for the Steelers...do they draft or trade for their next QB (i.e. making Claypool dynasty owners much more relaxed about the future), does Juju leave in FA, does Connor walk and if he does do they add a 1st round RB or later ( I think Najee would be a fantastic fit for the Steelers), what do they do with their O line and do they tweak their offense from what we have seen for good portions of this year (slant-central)...all of these will have some type of effect on Claypool and it will be interesting to see what it looks like when the smoke clears...overall, I think he is a top-shelf talent and as long as the QB situation does not implode post-Ben I see a long run of very productive years.

I would be shocked if Steelers pay JuJu since they have 2 studs and Washington is a solid 3rd option....and I'm hoping JuJu lands in DC. We need a 2nd WR hella bad. 

I would be shocked if Steelers pay JuJu since they have 2 studs and Washington is a solid 3rd option....and I'm hoping JuJu lands in DC. We need a 2nd WR hella bad. 
JuJu is all but gone IMO. Steelers draft their potential next QB of the future. They have to. 

Claypools future looks bright. Even an average QB....Claypool will make look good. He is a huge target. 

JuJu is all but gone IMO. Steelers draft their potential next QB of the future. They have to. 

Claypools future looks bright. Even an average QB....Claypool will make look good. He is a huge target. 
Here's an interesting bit of trivia.

In their history the Steelers have only given second contracts to two WRs, Hines Ward and Antonio Brown.

That's it.

Considering they are up against the cap, have really good and inexpensive depth and that Ju-Ju didn't really have great numbers over the past two years....

NFL free agency 2021: Biggest upcoming player decision for all 32 teams

Pittsburgh Steelers

Wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. Ben Roethlisberger wants him back. Smith-Schuster wants to be back. But the Steelers rarely give second contracts to wide receivers, the only two going to Hines Ward and Antonio Brown. Smith-Schuster was an indispensable member of the offense, especially for his gritty yards after catch and dependability on third downs, but history isn't on his side. Neither is the salary cap. To re-sign Smith-Schuster, the Steelers will have to pull off more cap wizardry, a trick made even more difficult by Roethlisberger's $41.2 million cap hit. All of that suggests the Steelers let him walk and rely on Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson and James Washington to be the future at the position. -- Brooke Pryor

-------------------------------------------

If anyone was contemplating trading for Chase they should do so now because it looks like Pittsburgh is going to let Ju-Ju walk.

Looking good for the future of Chase.

Juju also really became a distraction with his social media stuff this year. Given the recent history with AB, they would be wise to get out earlier rather than later. These diva WRs can fall apart in a hurry. 

Juju also really became a distraction with his social media stuff this year. Given the recent history with AB, they would be wise to get out earlier rather than later. These diva WRs can fall apart in a hurry. 
While I agree his social media antics became a distraction, the fact that he stopped when asked and apologized, speaks volumes. He heard the advice being given from whoever. I do think JuJu is a long ways away from AB. I think JuJu is more trying to make a name for himself outside of football, using Social Media as his vehicle, rather than being destructive to just about anyone in his life which is the AB route. I think JuJu is trying to get something going for life after football. I found JuJu's stuff very annoying but again, way different than AB. That being said, I wouldn't be heartbroken if JuJu goes elsewhere.

While I agree his social media antics became a distraction, the fact that he stopped when asked and apologized, speaks volumes. He heard the advice being given from whoever. I do think JuJu is a long ways away from AB. I think JuJu is more trying to make a name for himself outside of football, using Social Media as his vehicle, rather than being destructive to just about anyone in his life which is the AB route. I think JuJu is trying to get something going for life after football. I found JuJu's stuff very annoying but again, way different than AB. That being said, I wouldn't be heartbroken if JuJu goes elsewhere.
Well, he stopped after getting decleated on the same logo he was dancing on before. I use Tiktok a decent amount and found the stuff he was doing earlier in the season pretty cool. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find the logo stuff very distasteful. I agree he isn't going full AB.

I may be in the minority but I'd take Claypool over Diontae all day in dynasty.  May not get as many targets as Diontae but more likely to give you 16 games and big plays.

Desert_Power said:
Well, he stopped after getting decleated on the same logo he was dancing on before. I use Tiktok a decent amount and found the stuff he was doing earlier in the season pretty cool. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find the logo stuff very distasteful. I agree he isn't going full AB.
He also stopped when he was asked by teammates and coaches to stop, but yeah I'm sure your first statement had A LOT to do it with it at well. I was not a fan of the logo dancing either.

Steelers.com's Bob Labriola reported Chase Claypool's "diva quotient increased consistently over the course of his rookie season."

It's an odd inclusion in a write up about how the team's wide receiver group projects for 2021. "Claypool didn't need very long to establish himself as a difference-maker, as a receiver capable of making plays down the field, and he was the offense's primary deep threat throughout the season," Labriola wrote. "If there was a negative, it was that it seemed as though Claypool's diva quotient increased consistently over the course of his rookie season. Whether that turns into a problem or comes to be viewed in the future as growing pains will develop over time." Claypool, 22, got into spats with opponents -- conflicts that didn't seem out of the ordinary. He wasn't an apparent distraction for the team in 2020. The touchdown machine should see a boost in playing time and targets in 2021 with JuJu Smith-Schuster likely signing elsewhere. 

SOURCE: Steelers.com 

Mar 8, 2021, 10:26 AM ET

I asked this same thing in the CeeDee Lamb thread.  Can a Steeler insider fill me in on the Diontae Johnson and JuJu contracts and what they think the Steelers likely do at WR in the next 1-2 years.  Keep all 3.  Let 1 or 2 walk etc.  thanks ill hang up and listen.  

outsider perspective i think it may be 1 year late to be drafting Ben's future replacement.  Needs to be addressed or the value at WR on the Steelers becomes downgraded a tick. 

I have no insider info, but with this likely being Ben's last year according to many, I think they brought JuJu back on this 1 year deal and next year will move on. They are in great hands with Johnson and Claypool. 

I have no insider info, but with this likely being Ben's last year according to many, I think they brought JuJu back on this 1 year deal and next year will move on. They are in great hands with Johnson and Claypool. 
Every year is Ben's last season. He did look spent last season, but reports indicate that he dropped weight and built his body up. If he bounces back this season, I'm sure he'll bring up retirement but ultimately come back again. If his arm looks like last year then I can see him retiring.

JuJu is on a one year deal.

Developing story.

TJ Watt may hold out.  He hasn't been taking snaps as negotiations of his contact have hit a stand-still.  If the Steelers don't budge and if TJ doesn't budge it will have an impact on the defense since their secondary isn't great and everything is predicated on pressure up front.  

If this hold out happens then that means the offense is going to have to pass more and run less than expected so guys like Chase 'could' get a bump.

What kind of bump in targets are we going to see for Claypool and JuJu if Diontae is out for an extended period of time?  Id love to see this offense catch fire, but that OL is going to have to get fixed.  

eta  - just saw the latest Diontae news. nvrmnd.  

Chase Claypool caught 9-of-15 targets for 96 yards in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the Bengals.

Claypool's gaudy target total comes as the result of Diontae Johnson missing this game and JuJu Smith-Schuster exiting early. That left Claypool and Najee Harris as the only viable pass-catchers standing. Claypool also dealt with an injury in this game be played through it. He limped off the field in the second half and got stretched by a trainer before returning shortly after. Claypool then exited with a limp a second time in the fourth quarter. He may not have played through the injury if he wasn't the last standing receiver for Pittsburgh. The health of all of Pittsburgh's receivers will be worth monitoring heading into their Week 4 tilt with the Packers.

Chase Claypool (hamstring) was a surprise "limited" during Thursday's practice. 

Claypool did appear to be dealing with an injury during last week's game against the Bengals, even as he posted a 9/96/0 line. We don't have much of an indication that Claypool is in danger of missing the game yet from any of the beat reporters, but it is a surprise downgrade so it bears monitoring on Friday. Claypool will be on the WR3/4 line for Week 4's matchup in Green Bay if he can play.

Sep 30, 2021, 4:51 PM ET

Chase Claypool (hamstring) is questionable for Week 4 against the Packers.

Claypool got slapped with the 'questionable' tag but was downgraded to DNP for Friday's practice, making his outlook for Sunday's game highly doubtful. Diontae Johnson meanwhile totaled 22 targets prior to injury in Week 2 and was removed from Friday's injury report altogether. Managers should have a backup plan for Claypool in Week 4 given his unlikely outlook.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 2:41 PM ET

Not a Steeler insider but I believe JuJu is on a 1 year deal…after he couldn’t get anything better as a FA.

Eagles had interest in JuJu from what I heard but he chose to stay in Pitt. I believe it was reported Eagles had interest and was just a mere mention 

I dont see it. Big Ben has a noodle arm and the oline is crap meaning less plays down the field. I was able to trade him away this week.
I feel the same.  Have been unable to unload him.  He may be the first to go to cover my TE's bye week.  All the things you mentioned...plus Harris taking receptions...plus other options in the passing game doing better.  Hard to trust him.  This isn't an offense that can produce consistent production out of multiple players.

I’m rolling the dice on him, he’s a big play waiting to happen.
Well obviously he’s been ruled out for today, but he has been WR41 and that’s with no TDs (PPG.) He Is 10th in targets per game.

Disappointing start for the Steelers and while  no one expected him to score 11  TDs again I don’t think all hope is lost once he gets healthy. 

Did not draft him in any leagues, but did pick him up for free when somebody panicked and dropped him this week.

Well obviously he’s been ruled out for today, but he has been WR41 and that’s with no TDs (PPG.) He Is 10th in targets per game.

Disappointing start for the Steelers and while  no one expected him to score 11  TDs again I don’t think all hope is lost once he gets healthy. 

Did not draft him in any leagues, but did pick him up for free when somebody panicked and dropped him this week.
He’s not ruled out, as a matter of fact he’s not even on the injury report, and is playing today, I don’t know what your talking about.

He’s not ruled out, as a matter of fact he’s not even on the injury report, and is playing today, I don’t know what your talking about.

Where are you seeing that? I see

(RotoWire) Claypool (hamstring) practiced fully Friday and enters Sunday's game against the Broncos without an injury designation.

My bad, saw an old Tweet in my feed....it was last week he was ruled out on Saturday. Carry on.

Chase Claypool caught 5-of-6 targets for 130 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Broncos.

Claypool scored an 18 yard TD, added a 59 yard reception and had three additional receptions for 53 yards. Claypool missed Week 4 with a hamstring injury but looked completely healthy this week. Roethlisberger also looked better than he has in recent weeks, although the quarterback also battled minor injuries throughout the game. Claypool will be a WR3 option against the Seahawks in Week 6. 

Oct 10, 2021, 4:39 PM ET

I bought in. Love his DK Metcalf like skill combo and with JuJu, the targets should be there. He may end up another Martavis like tease, but I think he can give you enough really big weeks where he has top 20-25 WR value moving forward. 

Users who are viewing this thread