What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR David Bell, CLE (1 Viewer)

boilerdave

Footballguy
Bell got some mention in the Rondale Moore thread last year. I think he deserves his own thread. Looks like he’s being projected as a Day 2 draft pick in 2022. 

6’-2”, great athlete (basketball star along with football in HS). 

Bell had a good game last night vs Oregon St.  8 catches for 134 yds. He got grabbed and pulled down by a defender before he could haul in a certain TD reception.

Last edited by a moderator:
121 yds and 3 TDs in the First Half today. 
It’s versus UConn so not a very good measuring stick against NFL competition. 

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell caught six passes for 121 yards and three touchdowns in a 49-0 evisceration of UConn on Saturday.

Bell (6'2/205) was a man amongst boys against the Huskies, as he could have challenged the 300-yard barrier if the game weren't so out of hand so quickly. Perhaps his best moment came on a wide receiver screen where he danced around several players and broke the quick hitch for a 30-yard score. One of the truly elite receivers in college football, Bell exerted his will all game long and has the talent to win the Biletnikoff Award if he stays healthy. He will face a more stiff test next week at Notre Dame. 

Sep 11, 2021, 7:28 PM ET

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell (undisclosed) was carted off the field during the fourth quarter of Saturday's game at Notre Dame. 

Bell (6'2/205) took a hard hit during the fourth quarter of Saturday's game, landing face down on the Notre Dame Stadium turf. He was ultimately helped to his feet and onto a medical cart, and it appears highly unlikely that the sophomore wide receiver will return to the game. Bell is one of the best draft-eligible wideouts in college football, so the hope for he and the Boilermakers is that this isn't a long-term injury. 

SOURCE: Tom Dienhart on Twitter

Sep 18, 2021, 5:56 PM ET

Purdue redshirt sophomore wide receiver David Bell hauled in seven targets for 64 yards before exiting (undisclosed) Saturday's 27-13 loss against Notre Dame.

Bell (6'2/205) left this one early after a hard tackle in the fourth quarter left him on the ground for several minutes before being carted off. Before exiting, Bell recorded seven receptions for 64 yards, but did not find the end zone, something that was a common theme for Purdues’ offensive players in this one. Bell has been one of the best receivers in the nation this season. His situation heading into Week 4 against Illinois will be one to monitor.

SOURCE: Box Score

Sep 18, 2021, 6:42 PM ET

Purdue redshirt sophomore David Bell (concussion) enters protocol after exiting the game against Notre Dame early. Bell's status for next week is unclear. 

Bell took a shot in the fourth quarter and was forced to leave the game against Notre Dame. Bell had been having an amazing season, accruing 319 yards and three touchdowns in just three games. Coach Jeff Brohm said Bell's status for the Illinois game is unclear, but he also said Bell isn't a guy that needs a lot of practice, and could play even if he misses most of the week as long as he's in good health come Saturday.

SOURCE: Associated Press on ESPN

Sep 20, 2021, 5:31 PM ET

6 catches for 120 yards today.
the entire game was played in pouring rain.  Bell looked maybe a little rusty after being out of action but did make a couple of nice receptions on Purdue’s final drive. Only had one end zone target that I saw. 

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell caught 11 passes for 240 yards and a score in Purdue's 24-7 win over Iowa.

Bell (6'2"/205) just made himself a lot of money with this performance, which no doubt shot him up draft boards. Against one of the best defense's and cornerbacks in the nation, Bell made them look silly over and over. He was constantly open all over the field, and QB Aidan O'Connell knew it. His route running was immaculate, as were his hands. Short routes, intermediate, deep passes, there was nothing Bell didn't catch. His touchdown was a gorgeous double move that gave him acres of space against Matt Hankins, and that was pretty much the story all day. If he wasn't already, David Bell is on NFL radars now for sure. He'll look to continue raising his draft stock next week against Wisconsin. 

Oct 16, 2021, 7:29 PM ET

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell caught 11 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown in a 40-29 upset of Michigan State on Saturday.

Bell (6'2/205) has lived up to his billing as one of the very elite receivers in the country heading into the season, as this marks the fifth 100-yard performance in eight games for the star wideout. He received a game-high 16 targets while making several tough, contested catches to keep the chains moving and put Purdue in position to convert their red zone opportunities into points. Its difficult to overstate just how dominant Bell was in the contest with the junior wideout working over the Michigan State secondary like a seasoned pro all game long. His lone touchdown came when he bought time on a broken play to find an open area in the end zone where Aidan O'Connell found him for the five-yard strike. He will try to post his third 200-yard game of the season next Saturday at Ohio State. 

Nov 6, 2021, 8:19 PM ET

He's the best WR in college football.  There, I said it.  I would much rather have him over someone like Olave or Wilson.  At this point my top 3 are Bell, Burks, and Wilson.

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell turned 11 catches into 103 yards against the Buckeyes of Ohio State in a 59-31 loss on Saturday.

No surprise here. The only thing Bell didn't do was score, but to say he put them into position to score points on Saturday is an understatement. This makes back-to-back games that the 6-foot-2, 205-pound wide has brought in 11 passes, and it's the third time this year he's picked up double-digit receptions. He's a star. Bell will not be coverable by Northwestern next Saturday. 

Nov 13, 2021, 7:14 PM ET

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell turned 11 catches into 103 yards against the Buckeyes of Ohio State in a 59-31 loss on Saturday.

No surprise here. The only thing Bell didn't do was score, but to say he put them into position to score points on Saturday is an understatement. This makes back-to-back games that the 6-foot-2, 205-pound wide has brought in 11 passes, and it's the third time this year he's picked up double-digit receptions. He's a star. Bell will not be coverable by Northwestern next Saturday. 
He did drop one in the end zone, but yes, he's a stud.

Purdue redshirt sophomore WR David Bell has declared for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Bell (6'2/205) was one of the best receivers in the nation in 2021, compiling a career high 1,286 yards and 93 receptions while also hauling in six touchdown passes. Bell brings quite the college resume to the NFL, as the junior averaged 101.6 receiving yards per game in 29 collegiate games while playing against some elite Big Ten defenses. His best game of the season came in Week 7 against Iowa, when he caught 11-of-12 targets for 240 yards and one touchdown. Iowa's defense ranked 19th in the nation in yards allowed per game (326.9), and ranked 40th in passing yards against (213.1). Per Pro Football Focus, Bell was one of the most difficult receivers in the nation to bring down, totaling 25 missed tackles forced on the year, which ranked as the second-highest total in the nation. Bell is likely to be a Day 2 pick in the draft, but could see his stock jump with an impressive combine.

SOURCE: David Bell on Twitter

Dec 8, 2021, 3:15 PM ET

The Draft Networks' Bryan Perez believes David Bell could be drafted by the Bears.

It's looking like Allen Robinson's days in Chicago are over, they could franchise tag him for the second year in a row, but that would come with a heavy price tag. Bryan Perez believes A-Rob's replacement could be in this year's draft in the form of Purdue's David Bell (6'2/205). Bell and Robinson are very similar in size and abilities. Both players have shown to use their physicality to pluck the ball out of the air and are above-average after the catch as they can change directions and break tackles. Bell's wide catch radius is great for quarterbacks who has accuracy concerns and with Justin Fields finishing 32nd with a 58.9% completion percentage, getting someone like Bell could help that improve significantly. Right now, the Bears leading wide receiver is Darnell Mooney who's shown flashes of greatness but is not the guy to lead this receiving core. Perez believes David Bell will be there in the second round for Chicago, this would be their first pick in this year's draft as they traded away their first-round pick last year to the Giants

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Feb 13, 2022, 4:20 PM ET

Projected as a 3rd Rd pick (66) to Lions in latest NFL.com mock. That is a steal. I predict he goes way earlier unless he times slower than 4.55.

He reminds me of Davante Adams in style and ability. Dude is smooth, tough and a hands catcher. I love his reel...

https://youtu.be/UPIZaRabHtQ

He's the best WR in college football.  There, I said it.  I would much rather have him over someone like Olave or Wilson.  At this point my top 3 are Bell, Burks, and Wilson.
I got a like on this post, but as of now I I really like Wilson a lot.

Purdue WR David Bell leads the nation in contested catches since 2019 with 41.

Bell (6'2/205) has been one of the most productive receivers in the nation the past few seasons, catching 232 passes for 2,946 yards, 101.6 yards per game and 21 touchdowns over three seasons at Purdue. He runs proficient routes and has great hands, but he sometimes lacks the high end speed to separate downfield against top cornerbacks. Per Pro Football Focus, Bell was one of the most difficult receivers in the nation to bring down, totaling 25 missed tackles forced on the year, which ranked as the second-highest total in the nation. Bell is likely to be a Day 2 pick in the draft, but could see his stock jump with an impressive combine.

SOURCE: PFF

Feb 15, 2022, 2:04 PM ET

Purdue WR David Bell has 33 red zone catches since 2019, 14 more than any other Big 10 WR.

The fantastical David Bell stats continue, which really shows how amazing he was with the Boilermakers. Cherry-picked as these stats can be, he was competing with some very good players in that time, like OSU's Chris Olave and Penn State's Jahan Dotson, two guys he is strongly competing with in the upcoming draft. Bell was incredible against top competition this year, showing spectacular hands and excellent contested catch ability, which are very useful in red zone situations. Bell might not have been quite as numerically productive as some of the others in the draft, but a lot of the underlying numbers on him look great.

SOURCE: PFF Draft on Twitter

Feb 19, 2022, 9:23 PM ET

Purdue WR David Bell has the most forced missed tackles in the Big Ten since 2018.

The headlining WR prospects in this draft are very good, but draft experts continually like to talk about Bell (6'2"/205). Search his name on the sweets tweets and you'll find accounts giving some amazing stats on the former Boilermaker receiver. Here is in DJ Khaled's voice "another one" -- Bell has forced 25 missed tackles, the most in the Big Ten since 2018. As of now, most draft experts have him going early on Day 2, but when you watch his tape, that could be an incredible value with his route running, great hands, and ability to run after the catch. The Bears have been most likely the landing spot for Bell as they'll be looking to replace free agent Allen Robinson this season. He could be a great weapon to add for Justin Fields who finished 32nd in completion percentage. 

SOURCE: PFF College

Feb 26, 2022, 1:33 PM ET

The video shows 4.62, but NFL.com has him listed on the stats page as 4.65.  With my son now at Purdue, I got a chance to see Bell on several occasions this year.  I was never impressed, but he did get volume.  I told my son that he seems to be dogging it half the time.  My son said no.  He is just slow.  

Hmm I was already worried I was going to be picking this guy in every draft. Now he’ll be there in round 2 of rookie drafts just begging to be picked fml. 

Ouch. I was high on him. But Bell is now gonna fall hard in the NFL draft. 4.6+ is borderline unacceptable for an NFL WR in 2022. I haven't checked his other measurables, but he better redeem himself athletically somewhere.

Definitely a combine faceplanter. I wasn't expecting much better, but he was a bit dissapointing across the board.

If this does not tank his NFL draft stock and he's still a top 75ish pick, I'm happily buying after early 2nd. But this seems like a Kelvin Harmon situation where his workouts drop him to day 3. 

. 4.6+ is borderline unacceptable for an NFL WR in 2022.
Last night I checked top 20 fantasy scoring WR's to talk myself back into him and it did not help.

The positive was he ran as fast or faster then the #1 and #9 WR's last year, Kupp and Allen.

Bad news is that was it for the top 20 and both of them were top 5 in slot snaps.

So to your point in today's NFL it's hard to find a lot of success for outside WR's who run that slow and overall average athletically. Bell plays some slot but I don't see him as a primary slot receiver.

Purdue homer here. I see him as an Anquan Boldin - type receiver. Boldin ran a 4.73 at his combine.
Not sure Boldin is a good comp, but I agree that speed isn't what makes Bell good.  Having said that, I won't be looking at him until the 2nd round.

The video shows 4.62, but NFL.com has him listed on the stats page as 4.65.  With my son now at Purdue, I got a chance to see Bell on several occasions this year.  I was never impressed, but he did get volume.  I told my son that he seems to be dogging it half the time.  My son said no.  He is just slow.  

Looks like he's dogging it on the tape of the 4 '21 games I watched.

Colts beat writer Nate Atkins reports Purdue WR David Bell attended the Colts' local pro day and met with the team.

Bell (6'2/205) reportedly didn't workout at the pro day, but met with GM Chris Ballard. Bell saw his draft star fall a bit after an underwhelming Combine that featured a 4.65 40-yard dash and poor showings in the explosiveness workouts. As a receiver, Bell looked like one of the more reliable in the class. An early declare, Bell amassed 232 receptions for 2,946 yards and 21 touchdowns, with two 1,000+ yard seasons to his resume. His athleticism may scare some teams off, but we've seen plenty of Combine duds flourish at the receiver position.

SOURCE: David Atkins on Twitter

Apr 12, 2022, 2:19 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread