What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR David Bell, CLE (1 Viewer)

David Bell: Production on the rise

Bell caught four of six targets for 23 yards in Sunday's 23-17 overtime win over the Buccaneers.

Bell remains the No. 3 wideout, but the rookie out of Purdue has developed into a reliable receiver and his usage has increased as a result -- just in time for Deshaun Watson to take over as the starting quarterback. Bell's brought in 20 of 27 targets on the year, with 16 of those looks coming in the last three weeks.

Seems to be getting more targets lately although underwhelming production. Anyone have any insight now that Watson is entering the mix?
I still see him as a solid possession receiver. Not an insult - useful PPR guy. I could see a lot of 8 target, 5 reception, 60 yard games, with the occasional TD.

No idea what to expect from Watson. Could be rusty - been 2 years since he’s played meaningful football.

Seems to be getting more targets lately although underwhelming production. Anyone have any insight now that Watson is entering the mix?
No one knows but Schwartz is coming off his best game this year. Watson's TEs have historically received a high number of TD receptions and he's never had a TE of the caliber of Njoku so I think 'the Chief' benefits.
Schwartz might be a sneaky acquisition since he 'probably' is available in most every league.
How Browns Offense Expands, Becomes More Dangerous with Deshaun Watson

Expanded use of motion and Anthony Schwartz​

The 264 career yards and two touchdowns don't warrant a ton of confidence in what Schwartz can offer, but one of the reasons the Browns have been steadfast in their support and utilizing him when they can is because of Watson.

Watson enjoyed all kinds of success with Will Fuller in Houston. Schwartz has the same world class speed and even when he's not getting the ball, he forces the defense to be honest and creates space for everyone else.

Certainly, the Browns want Schwartz to be a viable deep option and Brissett's deep passing was underwhelming to be kind. Watson excels as a deep passer and that makes Schwartz more dangerous since teams are likely going to be utilizing more two-high looks, it creates space underneath both for the running game as well as underneath passing routes...
-----------
Go to the link for the full read but it 'looks like' Schwartz 'could' click with Watson and I'm sure Njoku is going to see a bump in TD production. Not sure about Bell.

Traded him away in one league as a toss-in. Received him back in another league as a toss-in. :shrug:

He may be a post-draft drop if/when I need room. Hate to give up on the dude after 1 season and only a few games with a clearly rusty Watson.

I just don’t see a lot of value when he seems to be behind Cooper, Njoku, DPJ, & the RBs for targets.

He profiles as a decent possession receiver - would be nice to see him go to another NFL team where he might get targets.

Traded him away in one league as a toss-in. Received him back in another league as a toss-in. :shrug:

He may be a post-draft drop if/when I need room. Hate to give up on the dude after 1 season and only a few games with a clearly rusty Watson.

I just don’t see a lot of value when he seems to be behind Cooper, Njoku, DPJ, & the RBs for targets.

He profiles as a decent possession receiver - would be nice to see him go to another NFL team where he might get targets.
Yeah, rough rookie campaign. Doesn't help that Watson didn't look very good. Maybe once he gets a full offseason, he is back to the Watson who could throw for 4500 yards and 30 TDs but there is a real chance that the time off and offseason pressures have permanently hindered his performance.

I stand by everything I was saying about him in this thread in the off-season. Slow, no yac ability possession WR in a run heavier offense. Can't see upside, never could.

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes David Bell appears to be "guaranteed nothing" in the remade wide receiver room.

With Cedric Tillman selected in the third round, Elijah Moore brought in via trade, and Marquise Goodwin signed in free agency, Cleveland's wideout corps suddenly boasts a lot of depth. 2022 third-rounder Bell struggled with injuries last year and the added competition makes him an obvious loser of the offseason to date. He'll have to impress in OTAs and training camp to have a real role.
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM ET

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes David Bell appears to be "guaranteed nothing" in the remade wide receiver room.

With Cedric Tillman selected in the third round, Elijah Moore brought in via trade, and Marquise Goodwin signed in free agency, Cleveland's wideout corps suddenly boasts a lot of depth. 2022 third-rounder Bell struggled with injuries last year and the added competition makes him an obvious loser of the offseason to date. He'll have to impress in OTAs and training camp to have a real role.
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM ET
That could be parsed two different ways ...

I stand by everything I was saying about him in this thread in the off-season. Slow, no yac ability possession WR in a run heavier offense. Can't see upside, never could.
Yeah, sure looks like it. I did draft him in one dynasty but thought it was late enough that every player had major holes somewhere. I was pushing Wandale over Bell and was surprised how many people had them reversed.

First of all, as ever, I urge everyone to disregard anything I propose. I see him having next to zero value in the short term. I expect him to start the season backing up the slot. Maybe he'll find PT elsewhere. He has decent hands. The Browns WRs will be Cooper, (DPJ and Moore and Tillman), Goodwin, (Bell and Darden and Schwartz, etc.).

First of all, as ever, I urge everyone to disregard anything I propose. I see him having next to zero value in the short term. I expect him to start the season backing up the slot. Maybe he'll find PT elsewhere. He has decent hands. The Browns WRs will be Cooper, (DPJ and Moore and Tillman), Goodwin, (Bell and Darden and Schwartz, etc.).
I think Goodwin is just a contingency plan. Both Tillman and Bell have opportunities to unseat him at any time. With Grant back on special teams one of the other kids could even push Goodwin off the roster as he's only guaranteed $400K.

I think Goodwin is just a contingency plan. Both Tillman and Bell have opportunities to unseat him at any time. With Grant back on special teams one of the other kids could even push Goodwin off the roster as he's only guaranteed $400K.
Well, I did list him in the fifth spot, but I don't see the last three suddenly overtaking a consistent veteran. He's got better speed and flashes when given the opportunity, so the minimal cap cost is a benefit.

His veteran presence will be valuable in that wide receiver room for however long they're not as reliable as he is. Could be August, could be March, and whenever it is will be out of his control.

Yeah, I assume Cleveland keep Bell around as he's going to be cheap through his initial contract, but barring a spate of injuries it's hard to see how he could get any significant playing time without a trade, by which point it may be too late for him to make an impact anywhere

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Browns WR David Bell is in "great standing with the team and will make the 53-man roster."​

The Browns' offseason moves have put Bell, a 2022 third-rounder, on the roster bubble. With Cleveland no longer expected to sign DeAndre Hopkins, Bell's roster status is safe going into Year 2. Bell is expected to compete in the slot this preseason after playing 62% of his snaps there as a rookie.
SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Jun 23, 2023, 7:55 PM ET

These are the guys you buy in Dynasty if you have deep rosters. Free doesn't hurt you if you're wrong. But if you're right...

It all depends on your roster depth
:yes:

Never thought about him in shallower leagues, but in the first come first served scrum in a 55 team IDP (keep 40, draft 10)? Absolutely. Gonna miss on 9 of 10 of these types, but all you're hoping for is to hit on 1 out of 10.

Browns Underlying Stories: David Bell
...Jacoby Brissett was notoriously conservative with trusting his receivers. It took time for him to look for Donovan Peoples-Jones and by the time he started trusting Bell, Deshaun Watson was re-entering the lineup. Struggling in many of his six games, his entering the lineup also coincided with Bell injuring his thumb...

Go to the link for the full read.

Goodwin placed on NFI for blood clots.

Users who are viewing this thread