What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

If you are looking for reasons to be optimistic, Kenny Golladay averaged 4.4/79.6/0.6 in 5 blough starts in 2019....

And Nuk had a knee injury now.

My strongest team (led the league in points by a standard deviation) has Pittman and Hopkins as its primary receivers. I’m now obviously in the consolation game. 🤦‍♂️

Tough hobby as last week and this week weren’t the players’ faults. I guess the lone takeaway is that when truly split between players drafting and trading, factor in the team’s likelihood of playing meaningful games late in the season (though I had Indy has a playoff team preseason).

My opponent, who went 12-2, is a Hopkins owner --he apparently is not paying attention now that he's out of the running for top spot (he left D. Henry in his lineup Thurs :bored:) --- so I grabbed Dortch -- not intending on playiing him, but perhaps :ponder:

Edit --->Nevermind -- saw who's QBing :sneaky:

Last edited:
My opponent, who went 12-2, is a Hopkins owner --he apparently is not paying attention now that he's out of the running for top spot (he left D. Henry in his lineup Thurs :bored:) --- so I grabbed Dortch -- not intending on playiing him, but perhaps :ponder:

Edit --->Nevermind -- saw who's QBing :sneaky:
I mean Mcsorely QBed last week and Dortch went nuts with the 5 yard passes.

What I've been saying around here for a few weeks now. They tried to trade him at the deadline earlier as well but I was saying a few weeks ago he was playing his last games with Arizona.

Now the part about that tweet that does not compute to me is Hopkins being in search of a new deal. 2 years and $34m left seems appropriate. Maybe some money worked around to give him more guarantees but not sure what he thinks his value is right now as a 31 year old possession WR.

Top 10 wide receiver in the league, quarterback proof, Target hog, season changer.
He would certainly be a valuable addition anywhere, but at this stage I’m skeptical he would still be a major difference maker.
I'm in this boat as well. Hopkins is still a very good player, but he's not elite anymore. He's not going to be the difference maker guys like Tyreek Hill and AJ Brown were.

He's still a top-25 WR I'd say, certainly, but much of his fantasy value this year was because Arizona was throwing it 50 times a week, so he would have had to be bad not to produce. Look no further than Hollywood in weeks 1-6.

As for fits, Baltimore sticks out as a team that needs a reliable WR, but I think a sneaky team could be KC. He'll cost much less than Hill and is still a sizeable upgrade for them. Lastly, I think the NYG could be interesting, if they aren't too gun shy after the Golladay move, I know it was a different front office then. but they still had to deal with it.

Browns!!!!!!!
If we're gonna go all in the next year or two, let's REALLY go all in.
I don't like it. If we're going to add a veteran we need cheap speed, but I'd rather just circle round 2 of the draft. Unless a no brainer appears our capital needs devoted to the other side of the ball.

BB was waxing poetic about Hopkins a few weeks ago and the Pats badly need a #1...woud rather it be someone younger, but he would help Mac out tremendously.
Perfect Patriots / BB acquisition. Entering the end of his prime WR who still has juice to help a young QB
I don't see it. Hopkins seems like the kinda guy entering a certain age and cap number that he would be trading AWAY, not for

BB was waxing poetic about Hopkins a few weeks ago and the Pats badly need a #1...woud rather it be someone younger, but he would help Mac out tremendously.
Perfect Patriots / BB acquisition. Entering the end of his prime WR who still has juice to help a young QB
I don't see it. Hopkins seems like the kinda guy entering a certain age and cap number that he would be trading AWAY, not for

Yes and no...age-wise I 100% disagree...Pats have plenty of history with bringing in this type of player (high-end talent not getting any younger)...Moss, Revis, Ted Washington, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon, Chris Long (and others) were all veterans he brought in that helped them...cap-wise would be the big issue...when the Pats were in the Brady golden era I would say they could get him to rework his deal to have a more favorable contract because he wanted a chance to win a title but the Pats are simply not in that type of position as a franchise anymore...if Hopkins is going to do that it will be for a team like KC.

Still a baller and the key to pretty much all of Connor's & the offense's success. Hope he ends up on a team that can maximize his potential.

Report was going around last week his preferred destinations were the Chargers and Jacksonville. Hard to see those teams reciprocating that interest due to commitments to their current WR's and other cap considerations, plus they both could probably use more speed at the position.

As a Jet fan, would love to see them bring him in. He seems like a perfect complement/mentor for G. Wilson and will provide whoever plays QB next year a very reliable security blanket (something C. Davis struggled with majorly this year.) As a Hopkins owner, I want him elsewhere.

Here's why a DeAndre Hopkins trade may be easier to strike for Cardinals compared to last offseason
... the no-trade clause in Hopkins' contract was voided after the wide receiver was suspended by the NFL last May for violating the league's performance-enhancing substances policy. Now, Hopkins has significantly less leverage on where he'd be traded to next, which creates more flexibility for Arizona ...
...age 31, Hopkins is looked at as one of the league's top wide receivers. In the nine games he played upon returning from that suspension this season, he totaled 64 catches for 717 yards and three touchdowns. Over a 17-game season at that clip, Hopkins would've been on pace to have a career-high 121 catches to go along with 1,354 receiving yards.
... Kyler Murray is recovering from a torn ACL, which may prevent him from being available to start the season. With an ailing quarterback and a team ready to rebuild with a new head coach and new GM, it doesn't make much sense to keep him aboard, especially with the $19.45 million base salary he's due in 2023. The Cardinals would also clear about $8.25 million if they moved off him this offseason.

This might be a hot take, but i think Hopkins has clearly lost a step or 2. His fantasy numbers were really good once he came back, but he was a target monster on a team that was constantly trailing early in games. I mean Hollywood Brown was putting up top-15 WR numbers in the same situation. Hopkins wasn't getting downfield, or making big plays, he was just catching a lot of passes.

If I were an NFL team, I'm not looking at Hopkins as a gamechanger. He's a guy I'm looking to bring in as a complimentary piece, not a centerpiece. I certainly wouldn't trade a 1st for him.

How productive has Hopkins been? Active players with more receiving yards? 1 (Julio). Hopkins is #37 in career yards. How many ahead of him have reached their totals in the 9 years he has played? 1 (Calvin). Don't retire him just yet.

How productive has Hopkins been? Active players with more receiving yards? 1 (Julio). Hopkins is #37 in career yards. How many ahead of him have reached their totals in the 9 years he has played? 1 (Calvin). Don't retire him just yet.
Everything you just said is pretty much the reason people are sorta writing him off. He's old and used up. He is still good, but his name is worth a lot more than his game.

I think he's had a very minimal slow down. You can take the approach of he was never fast so losing a little speed is not a big deal or he was not fast and had no speed to lose. Whatever, I don't think he's lost much and his body control, catch radius and contested catch ability were always his best traits and they are still intact.

He played like a possession WR last year because he was asked to play like a possession WR. Kyler had to have one of the lowest PYA in the league. Marquise Brown was less YPC then Hopkins and a career low. Was more the system to me.

I'd not pay a first for him however and don't think anyone will. A second may not be easy to get either, only helped by some WR needy teams in a weak FA/draft class. If he wants more money a second is going to be very hard to get. As is he's due $34m over the next two years, he's easily worth that to me, just not sure he's worth that and much draft pick comp. A third and some change may be the return.

No way to really project him for next year until we know where he is playing but it was not great news for his value seeing that he reportedly lost his no trade clause as a result of his suspension. That enabled him to rebuff teams like the Bears, Patriots and Ravens who all are WR hungry but not exactly great spots for him.

The Athletic's Chad Graff writes New England's top trade options at wideout at this point are "probably" DeAndre Hopkins and Brandin Cooks.​

Graff writes this in a piece that rules out several other options including Keenan Allen and throws water on the idea of the Patriots selecting a wideout early in the draft. "The guess here is that the price tag would be a second-round pick for Hopkins and a third-round pick for Cooks," Graff adds. These are definitely the top two wideouts readily available on the trade market, though we imagine a Bill O'Brien-DeAndre Hopkins reunion would have some interesting hurdles to work through.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM ET

I think he's had a very minimal slow down. You can take the approach of he was never fast so losing a little speed is not a big deal or he was not fast and had no speed to lose. Whatever, I don't think he's lost much and his body control, catch radius and contested catch ability were always his best traits and they are still intact.

He played like a possession WR last year because he was asked to play like a possession WR. Kyler had to have one of the lowest PYA in the league. Marquise Brown was less YPC then Hopkins and a career low. Was more the system to me.

I'd not pay a first for him however and don't think anyone will. A second may not be easy to get either, only helped by some WR needy teams in a weak FA/draft class. If he wants more money a second is going to be very hard to get. As is he's due $34m over the next two years, he's easily worth that to me, just not sure he's worth that and much draft pick comp. A third and some change may be the return.

No way to really project him for next year until we know where he is playing but it was not great news for his value seeing that he reportedly lost his no trade clause as a result of his suspension. That enabled him to rebuff teams like the Bears, Patriots and Ravens who all are WR hungry but not exactly great spots for him.
He's been a possession WR pretty much his entire Cards run. I mean, Kyler had one of the highest YPA in 2021, and Hopkins was still pretty average when it came to big plays. Sure, he was hurt for some of that, but for a WR going on 31, its pretty notable, I think.

I'm curious what the price tags are for Hopkins vs Cooks, because in my opinion, they are roughly equal talents at this point. Both would be great complimentary options but not who I'd want carrying my passing game.

I do wonder how Hopkins would feel about NE with Bill O'Brien there. I think Cooks would be a better fit in NE or Baltimore, where they need a field stretcher, whereas Hopkins would be a much better fit in Chicago (or NYG), where they need a possession guy.

He's been a possession WR pretty much his entire Cards run. I mean, Kyler had one of the highest YPA in 2021, and Hopkins was still pretty average when it came to big plays. Sure, he was hurt for some of that, but for a WR going on 31, its pretty notable, I think.
I think he's just been doing what he's been asked to do in the context of the offense and doing it at an extremely high level.

I'm curious what the price tags are for Hopkins vs Cooks, because in my opinion, they are roughly equal talents at this point. Both would be great complimentary options but not who I'd want carrying my passing game.
My opinion is Hopkins can still be that guy and Cooks has never been that guy. These are 1's and 2's to me.

I do wonder how Hopkins would feel about NE with Bill O'Brien there
It's really hard to believe.

Cardinals reporter Mike Jurecki reports the Cardinals "have parameters" to trade DeAndre Hopkins "more likely after free agency starts."

Jurecki adds that the Cardinals are looking for a second-round pick and a conditional pick or player in return for their star wideout. Hopkins will easily be the most valuable wideout available this offseason in what has been regarded as a weak draft at the position and with only Brandin Cooks really able to challenge him on recent track record. Jurecki does not list a team, but it wouldn't be surprising if a few different teams agreed to this price and it was more about where Hopkins wanted to go.
SOURCE: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Mar 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM ET

I know players have little say in where they get traded but seems basically as close to a zero chance as you can get that Hopkins would be willing to play for BoB again or that BoB would want to trade for him given some of the things leaked from the Texans trade. I can’t imagine a player and a coach hating each other any more than these two.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports DeAndre Hopkins would be "flexible on the last two years of his contract" if traded.

Rapoport noted that he would not necessarily be looking for a "top-of-the-market deal." Hopkins was recently on The Pat McAfee Show and acknowledged the trade rumors, though he didn't expand much beyond that. If the Cardinals move Hopkins, they would be on the hook for a modest cap hit while his new team would take on expenditures of $19.5 million in 2023 and $14.9 million in 2024. Neither number is absurd for a player of Hopkins' talent, but only eight teams even have $20 million in space for the 2023 season as things stand right now. Hopkins has been one of the best receivers in the NFL for nearly a decade but has two playoff wins to show for his efforts. It sounds like he would be open to some form of a restructured contract or even an extension that lowers his cap hits over the next two years if it meant he was playing for a contender. That possibility opens the door for a lot of teams to make Arizona offers.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 8, 2023 at 2:30 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread