What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (2 Viewers)

Let’s not forget he isn’t the same Hopkins either.

I think the league isn't forgetting this, even if we are to some degree. Maybe he resurrects in his early thirties playing for a better team. I could see that, but it probably won't be because he is the same player he was in his prime, which was how many years ago now in terms of on-field production?
He averaged 7 catches/79 yards per game last year
All I know is he had 700 yards and 3 TDs. He didn’t look like Hopkins to me.
....in 9 games, which projects to....119/1343/5
Kyler only played in 4 of those games as well. The others had guys like Colt McCoy and Trace McSorley under center. :yucky:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
On a recent appearance on the “I Am Athlete” podcast, free-agent WR DeAndre Hopkins listed the five QBs he’d most like to catch passes from: the Bills’ Josh Allen, the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts, the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes, the Ravens’ Lamar Jackson and the Chargers’ Justin Herbert.

Hayden Winks @HaydenWinks
DeAndre Hopkins listed these teams as where he'd liked to go...

Chiefs: 0WRs + $1M space (restructures?)
Bills: 1WR + $1M space (restructures?)
Eagles: 2WRs + $13M cap space
Ravens: 3WRs already + $11M cap space
Chargers: 3WRs already + Herbert contract

Hayden Winks @HaydenWinks
At the same time, $$$ also talks.

Some playoff teams with cap space...
Lions: $23M + Need an X WR
Packers: $17M + Need an X WR
Patriots: $14M + Need an X WR
Falcons: $11M + Need a WR2
Browns: $7M + Maybe need an X WR

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
The Patriots, who previously checked in on DeAndre Hopkins, are more likely to pursue him now that the contract isn't as much of a hurdle, per sources. Financial competition is a factor, but there should be a level of interest from New England.
That would be surprising considering Hopkins reportedly hates Bill O'Brien's guts. He actively celebrated on Twitter when BOB was finally fired by the Texans (as did we all!)
But over 30 WR's coming off PED suspensions generally fall in the beggars can't be choosers category of free agents more often than not.

Cards are a not great organization. Look at how they used Haason Reddick, then 3 teams in a row figured out "hey this guy is a pass rusher, not a MLB" and he is one of the better pass rushers in the league. Not excusing it, but I think Deandre, along with Budda Baker see the obvious writing on the wall that is "get me outta here"

I'm thinking Bills and Chiefs if he wants to win and will take a discount.
How much of a discount? KC currently has under $700k in cap space and the Bills are under $1.5 mil. Either team would have to clear out some space.
While "According to Over The Cap, the Bears have $41.4 million in cap space", but yet they are never in the conversation.

An up-an-coming Jusin Fields throwing to DJ Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Tyler Scott, Kmet, Tonyan AND Deandre Hopkins? hmmmm.

Looks like the Cowboys are the favorites on betting sites

Cowboys +200
Chiefs +400
Pats +500
Bills +600
Eagles +700
Ravens +800
Giants +900
Bears +1200
Jets +1600

The Akron Beacon Journal doesn't expect the Browns to sign free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins.​

Hopkins played with Deshaun Watson for three years in Houston before his Arizona trade, leading to speculation the Browns could have interest in reuniting him with his former quarterback. Cleveland has the 10th lowest cap space in the league and drafted WR Cedric Tillman in the third round, making it unlikely they'd be willing to meet Hopkins' asking price. Kansas City and Buffalo remain the early favorites to sign Hopkins.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Akron Beacon Journal
May 27, 2023, 11:40 AM ET

• The Chiefs and Bills were the only teams to have substantive trade talks with Arizona. • As was the case with Kansas City, contract was the issue for Buffalo. • KC made progress, but
@OBJ's deal ($15M base) more or less blew that progress up.

As for where this goes next, I'd say the price will dictate that. Under current circumstances, unlikely KC or Buffalo go get him. If his price drops (both teams offered incentive-heavy deals), then ... maybe. (Both KC and Buffalo talked directly to Hopkins, and liked him.)

Cowboys +200
Chiefs +400
Pats +500
Bills +600
Eagles +700
Ravens +800
Giants +900
Bears +1200
Jets +1600
Cowboys make almost no sense at all, unless the planned on dumping Gallup, which would be a big cap hit, for maybe not a huge upgrade.

Chiefs or Giants would be my bet on that list. Maybe NE if he and BOB have buried the hatchet.

Did not realize he does not have an agent. That might have helped the Cardinals facilitate a trade and now makes sense why the Bills and Chiefs spoke directly to him before he was cut.

A relative of his is saying he's going to the Ravens but who knows if that's legit.
If Hopkins goes to the Ravens, I think that likely means Bateman is getting traded, or it makes the Beckham signing look even dumber.

I'm thinking Bills and Chiefs if he wants to win and will take a discount.
How much of a discount? KC currently has under $700k in cap space and the Bills are under $1.5 mil. Either team would have to clear out some space.
While "According to Over The Cap, the Bears have $41.4 million in cap space", but yet they are never in the conversation.

An up-an-coming Jusin Fields throwing to DJ Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Tyler Scott, Kmet, Tonyan AND Deandre Hopkins? hmmmm.
As a Bears fan, I wouldn't be upset with bringing Hopkins in. He's probably still a better go-to WR than Moore to be honest, but I would think that would necessitate a likely trade of one of the other WR's, likely Mooney, as I don't see them throwing in the towel on Claypool that quickly.

Hopkins is still a legit #1. He could really help Daniel Jones. Fingers crossed as a NYG fan. I know the Giants have to take care of Barkley, but they do need a top tier WR.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bills and Chiefs are in an "arms race" for free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins.​

Fowler notes that he doesn't believe either team is "overly concerned" about landing Hopkins but that both would like to ensure Hopkins doesn't end up with the other team. He also adds that he doesn't expect the Chiefs to be as aggressive in their pursuit of Hopkins because the team believes that Kadarius Toney can be a true No. 1 receiver in 2023. The Browns and Jets could also be players in the Hopkins sweepstakes, although they don't appear to be the favorites at this time. Both the Bills and Chiefs were involved in "substantive" trade talks for Hopkins according to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer earlier this week, and could still be the odds on favorite to sign him.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on ESPN
May 29, 2023, 12:07 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bills and Chiefs are in an "arms race" for free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins.​

Fowler notes that he doesn't believe either team is "overly concerned" about landing Hopkins but that both would like to ensure Hopkins doesn't end up with the other team. He also adds that he doesn't expect the Chiefs to be as aggressive in their pursuit of Hopkins because the team believes that Kadarius Toney can be a true No. 1 receiver in 2023. The Browns and Jets could also be players in the Hopkins sweepstakes, although they don't appear to be the favorites at this time. Both the Bills and Chiefs were involved in "substantive" trade talks for Hopkins according to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer earlier this week, and could still be the odds on favorite to sign him.
RELATED:
They are "In an arms race" and "not that worried about him" at the same time.

RELATED:
It's not a bidding war, but a bidding "police action".

RELATED:
It's not a bidding war, but a bidding "police action".
Bidding "special operation" is the correct term. "Police action" is so 1950s.

a PED violator, been on 2 teams in 2 years and about to be on his 3rd team. seems like a locker room malcontent type player to me, If there's one team that makes sense, with the other personalities onboard, it's the Dolphins. other than that, no other team should bid for his services.
Giants would do best to stay with their stable of #3/4 WRs. Baltimore would do best to avoid two WR princesses on the same team at the same time.

a PED violator, been on 2 teams in 2 10 years and about to be on his 3rd team. seems like a locker room malcontent type player to me, If there's one team that makes sense, with the other personalities onboard, it's the Dolphins. other than that, no other team should bid for his services.
Giants would do best to stay with their stable of #3/4 WRs. Baltimore would do best to avoid two WR princesses on the same team at the same time.
Fixed your post. The guy has been on 2 teams in 10 years. You don't have to like him, at least get facts right. I don't recall ever reading any reports about him being a "locker room malcontent". Sure Bill O'Brien didn't like him because players in the locker room listened to Hopkins more than him, but I think that says more about Bill O'Brien than Hopkins. I've never heard another player say a bad thing about him. He got busted for PEDs, served his suspension, and came back and played well last season.

Any team who needs WR help and doesn't look at him is doing themselves and their fanbase a disservice, especially since now they don't even have to give up anything to get him.

Is Houston a bad landing spot? BOB is obviously gone, but not sure what relationship existed between DHop and ownership.

Unless he's hellbent on accepting minimal salary in exchange for a his best shot at a ring, it seems like a return to Houston could set him up with (many) millions in local endorsements, eventually, with the added upside of turbo-charging Stroud's career start.

EDIT: And, were I a Texan's fan, I'd immediately buy a Hopkins jersey.

Last edited:
I don't think he's a malcontent. He was on 2 teams that were not competitive enough to spend the money he costs when they had no chance to win even with him. Money is a good reason to move even a very good player. Smith-Schuster has been on 3 teams in 3 years and isn't a malcontent. I have only heard that teammates like Hopkins and respect him. He is certainly intense, but a hard working guy all about succeeding, self and team. I don't think he deserves a bad rap except for the substance violation.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer writes interest in DeAndre Hopkins is "very tepid from teams" and that he may have to choose between "tak[ing] the bag" and "chase a ring."

Per Breer's reporting, the Chiefs and Bills don't want to pay Hopkins' current asking price and the sense is that Odell Beckham's contract earlier this offseason drove Hopkins' market into a range where neither felt comfortable executing a trade. Hopkins may have to choose between a one-year, mid-range deal in a JuJu Smith-Schuster sort of way or making real money for a team that doesn't have one of the preferred quarterbacks on his list. Breer surveyed evaluators and found a divide on what Hopkins had left, with one anonymous executive saying "He can't run anymore."
SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
May 30, 2023, 2:07 PM ET

Cowboys +200
Chiefs +400
Pats +500
Bills +600
Eagles +700
Ravens +800
Giants +900
Bears +1200
Jets +1600
I feel like betting sites just dangle carrots in front of cowboys fans when they do this. They were also the betting faves to get Bijan which had almost no chance of happening.

Your jealousy shines again!

Notice how nobody else comments on their rivals? Because they don’t think about them like y’all do. It must be a sickness. Get help!

As a Cowboys fan, I only want him at a bargain price and that doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen.

Hes never been fast, has lost a tiny step and he isn’t going to get any better. Over 30. Pass.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec believes the Ravens pursuing free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins is a "no-brainer, contract demands and team chemistry questions be damned."

Lamar Jackson reportedly asked the front office to look into acquiring Hopkins from the Cardinals this offseason and the Ravens backed off due to salary cap space. Now that Hopkins is a free agent considering a number of destinations, Baltimore's calculus might have changed since they won't be inheriting a bloated contract from Arizona. Hopkins joining Mark Andrews, Zay Flowers, Rashod Bateman, and Odell Beckham would make the Ravens a formidable passing attack after years of pinching pennies on pass-catching options. Hopkins' presence in the Ravens offense could take some target volume away from Andrews too. Meanwhile, the Bills and Chiefs are reportedly engaged in an "arms race" to sign Hopkins after his release from the Cardinals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 30, 2023 at 12:47 PM ET

RapSheet

Former #AZCardinals star WR DeAndre Hopkins has hired agent Kelton Crenshaw of @KlutchSports to represent him in free agency, source says. Hopkins had previously represented himself before signing with Crenshaw, who also reps Chase Young, Kayvon Thibodeaux and DeVonta Smith.

Cowboys +200
Chiefs +400
Pats +500
Bills +600
Eagles +700
Ravens +800
Giants +900
Bears +1200
Jets +1600
I feel like betting sites just dangle carrots in front of cowboys fans when they do this. They were also the betting faves to get Bijan which had almost no chance of happening.

Your jealousy shines again!

Notice how nobody else comments on their rivals? Because they don’t think about them like y’all do. It must be a sickness. Get help!
RENT FREE!

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec believes the Ravens pursuing free agent WR DeAndre Hopkins is a "no-brainer, contract demands and team chemistry questions be damned."

Lamar Jackson reportedly asked the front office to look into acquiring Hopkins from the Cardinals this offseason and the Ravens backed off due to salary cap space. Now that Hopkins is a free agent considering a number of destinations, Baltimore's calculus might have changed since they won't be inheriting a bloated contract from Arizona. Hopkins joining Mark Andrews, Zay Flowers, Rashod Bateman, and Odell Beckham would make the Ravens a formidable passing attack after years of pinching pennies on pass-catching options. Hopkins' presence in the Ravens offense could take some target volume away from Andrews too. Meanwhile, the Bills and Chiefs are reportedly engaged in an "arms race" to sign Hopkins after his release from the Cardinals.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 30, 2023 at 12:47 PM ET
Just seeing a few tweets about how OBJ’s contract makes Hopkins “prohibitive” and that he’s struggling to draw interest.

One NFL exec said he can’t really run, and reportedly interest in Hopkins is “tepid” at best.

One NFL exec said he can’t really run
I don't think he's ever ran that great and for sure has never separated great. He's as good as a WR as I've ever seen who is practically always covered though.

I keep hearing talk about him not being a great culture fit. No one ever says what that is though other then he does not like to practice.

Said this before but when he was traded for a meager return years ago it's not like the Texans did not call teams. Part of that meager return was teams not wanting to pay for him and then pay him but we've seen other WR's get back a lot more over the years and then get paid themselves so there seems to be something about him that's a little bit of a turnoff around the league. Not someone teams don't want to touch or anything, just a little tepid feeling on him around the league it seems.

Still don't see how OBJ got paid in a way he is struggling to get, can see how that is chewing at him but he'll probalby need to get over it. Maybe having an agent would have helped him. I see he got one now, and has done fine in his pay previously, but he made a mis-calculation on his last deal and allowed it to be worked in such a way that he could be cut this late in the process and owed nothing. That was poorly structured and that's his problem right now. Hard to get a big FA deal when you hit the market at the end of May.

As a Cowboys fan, I only want him at a bargain price and that doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen.

Hes never been fast, has lost a tiny step and he isn’t going to get any better. Over 30. Pass.

Hes got great hands and still gets open. I want him on my team
At worst he's still a top-25 NFL WR. I'd go 2/25 if I were a GM, will he take something like that is the question.

The teams that could really use him, won't risk it. You need to be confident enough in your position to bring in a possible pain in the butt.

If he goes to KC, and it goes badly, no one will hold it against Reid. But if he goes to
Chicago, and he's a problem, maybe that's bad for Eberflus.

I would LOVE to see some team give him escalating bonuses tied to team accomplishments. Maybe he can make extra 3 mill if they get to conference title game. Make him totally invested in team success.

Users who are viewing this thread