What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (6 Viewers)

Why should he like ju-ju any less?   It's not like Smith-Schuster is devoid of talent.
I don’t think he likes him any less. IF they all 3 stay healthy all year I could see them become a 1A and 1B. If that happens, I thin JJSS would be the 1A but Johnson would not be far behind.

Because there seems to be an agreement among some that Johnson will be the #1WR in Pittsburgh and I believe that is still Smith-Schuster.  Now that doesn't mean Johnson can't have a 1000 yd season if he's #2, because if the Steelers rock with a renewed offense and a healthy and productive Roethlisberger, there will be plenty to go around.  Last year was a throw away because Ben was out and they had garbage at the QB position.
I don't think it's an agreement I think it's a discussion about who is the #1 WR.  Very different players who will be lined up an utilized in different ways. JuJu to me is a more of a possession YAC guy who will operate out of the slot more often, Diontae to me is a better outside receiver who can separate better. Traditionally I tend to view view the better outside WR as the true #1 and not the possession/slot guy but with respect to target share I'd go with JuJu.

I don't think it's an agreement I think it's a discussion about who is the #1 WR.  Very different players who will be lined up an utilized in different ways. JuJu to me is a more of a possession YAC guy who will operate out of the slot more often, Diontae to me is a better outside receiver who can separate better. Traditionally I tend to view view the better outside WR as the true #1 and not the possession/slot guy but with respect to target share I'd go with JuJu.
Both could be very good.  Like sad, last year was a throw away because of horrible QB play.

Diontae Johnson declared himself "100 percent" following offseason sports-hernia surgery.

Johnson said he suffered the injury in Week 2 last season. If so, it makes his rookie campaign all the more impressive after he led the wideouts in touchdown grabs, posting a 59-680-5 line with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges throwing him the ball. Johnson is a popular year-two breakout candidate with Ben Roethlisberger back healthy under center. Johnson is currently being taken as the WR45 in the tenth round of fantasy drafts. He's a value at that price.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Aug 5, 2020, 11:43 AM ET

have him as my WR3 in a very deep league and not much behind him/ my top 3 except projects and NFL roll players .........  can I count on him for 1000-6 ??  

have him as my WR3 in a very deep league and not much behind him/ my top 3 except projects and NFL roll players .........  can I count on him for 1000-6 ??  
Depends a lot on Big Ben. Given what I'm hearing from Steelers camp, I'd say you're a bit on the optimistic side. 

His ceiling is higher than that. I got his range between 875-1200. TD's are notoriously hard to predict but he does seem to have a nose for the endzone. 

It's nice to see that some in here have some optimism for him like myself.   I am having to decide whom to keep between Diontae Johnson and Michael Gallup, and  almost everywhere I look overwhelmingly has Gallup as the choice.   I personally see it closer than what I'm seeing on sites, consensus rankings and adp.  

Truebluey said:
Depends a lot on Big Ben. Given what I'm hearing from Steelers camp, I'd say you're a bit on the optimistic side. 
What are you hearing from Steelers camp that makes you think 1000 and 6 is too optimistic?  I'm not following camp closely but Ben appears to be healthy and a it seems Johnson is looking pretty good so far.  Not trying to argue just wondering if I missed something.

What are you hearing from Steelers camp that makes you think 1000 and 6 is too optimistic?  I'm not following camp closely but Ben appears to be healthy and a it seems Johnson is looking pretty good so far.  Not trying to argue just wondering if I missed something.
One reporter at camp said it looked like Ben was short arming it, and compared the throwing style to Philip Rivers. While it's turned out okay for Philip Rivers in his career, that's not typically how Ben throws.

Would you guys take Kareem Hunt for him?
Depends on my team but probably. I feel like I can find another WR easier than another Hunt. I'm a little worried the Browns sign him longer and then he is stuck in the 2 back committee role. Valuable but in that situation I'd rather have Johnson. So I would need to be confident he moves on in FA. IDK it's a good value comp.

Diontae Johnson (leg) has missed the last five days of practice.

It's believed to be a calf issue, but we won't know unless the Steelers specify it since they're not required to produce injury reports. Johnson is a very popular year-two breakout candidate with a healthy Ben Roethlisberger back under center. The injury isn't believed to be serious, but any soft-tissue issue is worth monitoring. James Washington and rookie Chase Claypool are getting more reps in Johnson's absence.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Aug 24, 2020, 1:28 PM ET

How do you know this?
Other than an overall winner's hunch?  I mean, he played injured most of last year - you think he is going to allow a calf strain to stop him from playing week 1.  Ya'll talking about chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger - Ben has made worse players look relevant and, alternatively, Diontae Johnson was looking good with Mason Rudolph at QB. 

Other than an overall winner's hunch?  I mean, he played injured most of last year - you think he is going to allow a calf strain to stop him from playing week 1.  Ya'll talking about chemistry with Ben Roethlisberger - Ben has made worse players look relevant and, alternatively, Diontae Johnson was looking good with Mason Rudolph at QB. 
A “winner’s hunch”? Can we please at least argue for things that exist when we’re debating on these boards, folks? Damn

Don't let this guy bring you down. Winners like us should trust our hunches. They usually work out. That's why we're winners. 
Hey, I appreciate it.  I am just trying to be the voice of reason.  We are getting bent out of shape because a guy is out with a calf strain and concerned he won't have rapport with Big Ben.  Well, if you can catch passes and be productive with Mason Rudolph - I am going to exercise common sense and say he and Ben will be just fine.  I drafted him.  

I added that in the post prior, but this guy decided to latch onto the joke about a winner's hunch.  This is the world we live in.  

A “winner’s hunch”? Can we please at least argue for things that exist when we’re debating on these boards, folks? Damn

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"(Diontae) Johnson was eased back in and made a couple of smooth catches, and Washington continued to show that he’s more than just a combat-catch receiver, hauling in passes near the sideline and over the middle, and also catching a touchdown."
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1300789620939128833?s=21

PFF PIT Steelers @PFF_Steelers

Diontae Johnson caught 91% of the catchable targets thrown his way

#HereWeGo
https://twitter.com/pff_steelers/status/1300795549055152128?s=21

Roethlisberger has a lot of mouths to feed in this offence.

JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson, James Washington, Chase Claypool, Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald, etc.

It will be fun to watch.

season starts in a week - we all still believe he is a solid WR3 this season in standard?  ....or should we be looking to add a WR to cover our bases?

I have Diontae as my WR4 behind my top three WRs, so he's on my bench. But I'm pretty confident that he could be the go-to guy if Juju doesn't do well (which is likely).

Users who are viewing this thread