What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (2 Viewers)

Thank you. Learn something new every day.

I still don't see a way to look at all players in a list that would include drops. I can find that for the team data but not a complete list of player data.

I have Stathead too and so I tried to search for drops that way but it isn't a choice.

If you know of some trick to get this data from PFR without having to look at each players advanced stats individually let me know.
Just go to PFR and look at advanced Receiving from the league page, then sort by drops.

every receiver sorted by drop%

I saw a tweet last week that listed 17 receiving stats. Then it measured the correlation between each stat and WR production. Drops were dead last. It’s meaningless, over the years lots of great receivers have been amongst the league leaders in drop%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help BL.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to know the data is there but not knowing how to find it.

I have seen some inconsistencies in my search results on Stathead that might be user error somehow but I run the same search and some players show up on one search but not others. I sent them an email about this as well but that didnt go anywhere.

something is not adding up to me with the PIT WR's and I am not sure what it is....it might be that generally speaking all three of the PIT WR's are ranked in about the top 28 give or take.....yet Ben is hovering around the QB22 range....?.....feels like something is off there like either the PIT WR's are all being overvalued a little as a group or Ben is seriously being undervalued.....with 3 WR's in the top 28, you would think the QB would at least be in top 10-12....if not higher.....back when Manning and some others were making 3 WR's serviceable/startable....they were ranked very high....I have been avoiding most of the PIT WR's and moved on to the next guy cause I'm not really sure who is going to eat there from week to week and their ADP is throwing me off....plus early indications with the addition of Harris and them wanting to run more and his ability to play all three downs seem to muddy the waters even more...not sure I would feel comfortable starting any of the PIT WR's consistently throughout the year...

Last edited by a moderator:
something is not adding up to me with the PIT WR's and I am not sure what it is....it might be that generally speaking all three of the PIT WR's are ranked in about the top 28 give or take.....yet Ben is hovering around the QB22 range....?.....feels like something is off there like either the PIT WR's are all being overvalued a little as a group or Ben is seriously being undervalued.....with 3 WR's in the top 28, you would think the QB would at least be in top 10-12....if not higher.....back when Manning and some others were making 3 WR's serviceable/startable....they were ranked very high....I have been avoiding most of the PIT WR's and moved on to the next guy cause I'm not really sure who is going to eat there from week to week and their ADP is throwing me off....plus early indications with the addition of Harris and them wanting to run more and his ability to play all three downs seem to muddy the waters even more...not sure I would feel comfortable starting any of the PIT WR's consistently throughout the year...
You make a good point that this does not add up. Something is wrong.

The Steelers threw the ball 656 times last season. When Ben was injured in 2019 they only threw the ball 510 times because their QB were not good. In 2018 the Steelers threw the ball 689 times.

No one has thrown the ball more than the Steelers and Ben recently.

I think what is wrong is that Ben is being ranked too low if the expectation is that he plays well for 17 games.

Folks might be wrong about one of the 3 WR because of injury or any number of things though. As far as where people are drafting them, some guys have different ideas about who is going to be good out of those 3, so that is why that happens.

Neither the Panthers or the Steelers had above average QB play last year. Both had three wide receivers over 200 fantasy football points. 

Biabreakable said:
Folks might be wrong about one of the 3 WR because of injury or any number of things though. As far as where people are drafting them, some guys have different ideas about who is going to be good out of those 3, so that is why that happens.
Beat me to it.  I think that someone will be good for fantasy and maybe even two of them but who that is varies a lot so that may help skew all three numbers up as people like all of them but not at the same time.    

Beat me to it.  I think that someone will be good for fantasy and maybe even two of them but who that is varies a lot so that may help skew all three numbers up as people like all of them but not at the same time.    
As for Ben, maybe folks think the Steelers wont throw so much now because of Harris?

but apparently enough to support 3 in the top WR28 PPR...
Mason Rudolph to the rescue! (I kid)...

This is what sometimes happens when analysts that don't do projections, do rankings, I suspect. NTTAWWT. You just have to look out for it, like we have, and draw our own conclusions about that particular subset of Players, I guess.

Mason Rudolph to the rescue! (I kid)...

This is what sometimes happens when analysts that don't do projections, do rankings, I suspect. NTTAWWT. You just have to look out for it, like we have, and draw our own conclusions about that particular subset of Players, I guess.
yeah I don't know....I took those rankings from current FBG PPR....I didn't line them up with their individual "projections" and I didn't really look at Ebron or what they had for Harris receiving wise, it just kind of jumped out at me....if those guys truly finish in the top 28, you would think that correlates to a pretty big year for Ben (assuming healthy, etc)....

yeah I don't know....I took those rankings from current FBG PPR....I didn't line them up with their individual "projections" and I didn't really look at

Ebron

or what they had for

Harris

receiving wise, it just kind of jumped out at me....if those guys truly finish in the top 28, you would think that correlates to a pretty big year for Ben (assuming healthy, etc)....
Looking at the FBG staff consensus projections they have the three WR's combining for 235 receptions for 2700 yards.  When you add Ebron in it goes up to 285 for 3209.  Add in James Washington it goes up to 313 for 3559.  Ben's projections are 369 completions for 3802 yards.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. I think it's just a situation where they believe the targets will be heavily concentrated on the top 3 WR's and Ebron.  They're not expecting the RB's and other ancillary receivers to catch many passes and they don't expect Ben to offer much rushing production, which really hurts his ranking.

But can Harris make many first downs running behind that poor offensive line?
I would think he will be more successful than the RB they have had.

From what I can see the Steelers still ran the ball plenty of times, they just were not very good at doing it. So yes I would expect Harris contribution leading to more 1st downs for the Steelers than they would have without him.

Looking at the FBG staff consensus projections they have the three WR's combining for 235 receptions for 2700 yards.  When you add Ebron in it goes up to 285 for 3209.  Add in James Washington it goes up to 313 for 3559.  Ben's projections are 369 completions for 3802 yards.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. I think it's just a situation where they believe the targets will be heavily concentrated on the top 3 WR's and Ebron.  They're not expecting the RB's and other ancillary receivers to catch many passes and they don't expect Ben to offer much rushing production, which really hurts his ranking.
In the last 3 seasons Ben has played he completed 360 passes in 2017 on 561 attempts in 15 games. 452 in 16 games in 2018 and 399 in 15 games in 2020.

Accounting for the 2 games missed Ben has averaged 420 completions over the last 3 seasons where he played most of the games. So those projections are low by 50 completions without accounting for the extra game that will be played.

I also think Harris will be an asset as a receiver although this is something that does usually take more time to develop for RBs and maybe that wont be right away. I think Harris offers a lot more than Conner did as a receiver.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

Which wide receiver do you like most in this matchup?

Ben Roethlisberger distributed the ball pretty evenly the last time the Steelers took on the Bills, and JuJu Smith-Schuster led the pack with 55 yards on seven targets and a touchdown. But there's another receiver who should get more attention from fantasy managers this week: Diontae Johnson. Like Smith-Schuster, Johnson also had seven targets, but he had just four catches for 40 yards. His numbers likely would've been much higher, but he was benched for most of the first half after drops on consecutive drives in the first quarter. He didn't get another target until less than two minutes remained in the third quarter. If Johnson has sufficiently solved his drop issue -- something he worked on all offseason -- he should be in line for a big day Sunday. -- Brooke Pryor

Steelers Week 1 X-Factor: Diontae Johnson

Most fans and players would like to forget about the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills faced off back in December. 

The primetime matchup was an ugly performance, one that was partially understandable considering it was the team's third game in just eleven days. The Steelers struggled to get anything going offensively from the start. 

Part of those struggles involved Diontae Johnson. It was well-documented that Johnson had struggled with drops up to that point. Johnson proceeded to drop two of his targets on the Steelers' first two offensive drives. After that, the lowest point of his young career was approaching as Mike Tomlin informed him that he was benching him. 

The Steelers managed to put just one scoring drive on the board in the remainder of the second half with Johnson sidelined. After the game, he mentioned a halftime conversation with his quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, where he was asked, "Do you want to play?" 

Of course, he did. Johnson appreciated Roethlisberger approaching him and he told reporters that it gave him confidence. When the second half began, Johnson got another shot. Johnson would catch four balls in the second half for 40 yards. His best play of the night was winning a one-on-one against Bills star corner Tre White. White was in press coverage but failed to even get a hand on Johnson at the line of scrimmage. Johnson caught a slant that netted a 17-yard gain. 

That play didn't mean much for the outcome of the game, but it still carries significance a year later. Johnson is the Steelers' best route runner, but he's also their best receiver in terms of beating press coverage at the line of scrimmage. The Bills had a ton of success in their last matchup by beating up on the other receivers and winning with physicality. 

But it's hard to do that with Johnson. While certainly not the strongest player, he's an insanely quick athlete whose footwork and calculated release package make him nearly impossible for even the best corner in the league to defend. It's what makes him a glove-like fit for what the Steelers look for in their X receivers. 

In their last matchup, Buffalo was the bully on defense. It remains to be seen whether or not they will deploy that same approach this time around. If they do, Johnson is the X-factor to counter that philosophy. However, it will be dependent on him catching the football for his quarterback. 

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-10 targets for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bills.

Johnson was targeted on 10 of Big Ben's 32 pass attempts, good for a robust 31.25% share to lead the team. He also caught the offense's lone touchdown with a five-yarder early in the fourth quarter to give the Steelers a 13-10 lead they would never relinquish. Johnson picked up right where he left off last season as Big Ben's top target and will get an easier Week 2 draw against the Raiders as a volume-based WR2.

I hope I'm wrong, but this looked like a serious injury. I'd say a best case scenario is he's out about a month, but its probably 50-50 his season is over.

This guy is such an enigma to me, yet I invested in him in about half my leagues.  Whenever I watch him, I come away thinking he's just not that good, makes too many mistakes, and seems to be in pain after half of his catches.  Yet... Ben just peppers him with targets, and he seems to make one jaw dropping play per week.

Glad the injury wasn't "serious", will be watching practice reports this week for sure.

I own a lot  Diontae in general but he's on my biggest money team with Dalvin Cook and I'm glad both have a good long term prognosis but I'm already emotionally spent. If  I can help it I'm never doing this 9 lives duo again.

Now that Matt Brieda never sniffs the field, Johnson is the king of "limps off at least once a week but somehow comes back". I don't expect this injury to be too serious. I expect him to play next week, injure something else, and then play through that injury as well.

This guy is a one man Rollercoaster. Love the talent, hate the butterflies I have when he comes up gimpy every week. 

Diontae put up very nice numbers this week, it's not that much of a stretch for him to have a great game IMO.

It's far from a lock though. Big Ben looks worse than I thought he would so far... feels like he's one stiff breeze from going on IR.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Diontae Johnson's (knee) injury is "looking better, not to be confused with great."

In other words, Johnson's status is still completely up in the air after he suffered an injury on the game's final play against Las Vegas. With Ben Roethlisberger dealing with a pectoral injury, Johnson's replacement (James Washington) might not even matter. Johnson's availability in practice throughout the week will be telling.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Sep 21, 2021, 2:52 PM ET

Diontae Johnson (knee) is not practicing Wednesday.

Johnson went down late in the Week 2 loss to the Raiders but reportedly avoided a serious injury. His week is still off to a rough start with a DNP, but Johnson still has a couple days to get ready for the Bengals. If Johnson can't go, James Washington would take his place in the lineup.

Sep 22, 2021, 4:04 PM ET

Steelers WR Diontae Johnson (knee) did not practice on Thursday.

Johnson's knee injury occurred late in the Steelers game and Mike Tomlin noted in his Wednesday availability that Johnson was looking better, but that better was not to be confused with great. Friday's practice will loom large for Johnson, but the drumbeat from beat reporters has been to not expect him to play on Sunday. James Washington would be the biggest beneficiary from a targets perspective if Johnson does not go. 

Sep 23, 2021, 4:49 PM ET

Diontae Johnson (knee) practiced in full on Thurdsay.

Terrific news for Johnson, who suddenly steps into a situation against Green Bay where both other main Steelers receivers were limited during Thursday's practice. Johnson is a target magnet in this offense when healthy and, even with Ben Roethlisberger, should be returned to the WR2/WR3 borderline for a matchup against a Packers team that has limited opposing wideouts to just 344 yards in three games. 

Sep 30, 2021, 4:33 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread