What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (1 Viewer)

Diontae Johnson caught 9-of-12 targets for 92 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 4 loss to the Packers.

After missing Week 3 with a knee injury, Johnson was all systems go in this one, commanding 30% of the targets on 40 Ben Roethlisberger throws. Johnson scored the passing offense's lone touchdown with a 45-yarder on a free play in the first quarter to cap the opening drive after the Packers jumped offside. Johnson has seen target counts of 10, 12, and 12 in his three games this year. He's a bankable WR2 as the Steelers' clear top wideout ahead of a Week 5 date with the Broncos.

Diontae Johnson caught 2-of-2 target for 72 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 5 win over the Broncos.

It was an odd game for Johnson. Usually peppered with targets, Johnson saw just two on the day. And one of his two targets was a 50 yard TD where Ben Roethlisberger hit him in stride deep down the sideline. It was not his typical high volume, low aDOT role. The Steelers leaned heavily on the run game against the Broncos, and limited Roethlisberger's attempts. They could opt to do so again next week. Johnson looks like a low end WR2 in Week 6 against the Seahawks.

Oct 10, 2021, 4:54 PM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 9-of-13 targets for 71 yards in the Steelers' Week 6 loss to the Seahawks.

Johnson was his usual target monster self in primetime, leading Pittsburgh in targets, receptions, and yards. With JuJu Smith-Schuster out for the year, Johnson has a chance to put up truly special volume numbers, although he's frequently struggled with efficiency. Consider the third-year pro a volume-dependent WR2 moving forward. He'll next play in Week 8 with the Steelers on bye in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2021, 1:01 AM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-6 targets for 56 yards in the Steelers' Week 9 win over the Bears.

Johnson tied Pat Freiermuth for the team lead with six targets, but Johnson had seen double-digit targets in 5-of-6 games entering this one. He has at least five catches in all but one game on the year and has settled in as a target-hog WR2 ahead of a mouth-watering Week 11 home date with the Lions.

Nov 9, 2021, 12:13 AM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 7-of-13 targets for 101 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 11 loss to the Chargers.

Johnson's touchdown was a gorgeous goal-line fade in which the third-year wideout had to secure the catch and get his feet down in a matter of instants. That wasn't his only highlight, as he had a number of impressive catch-and-runs throughout the game. Interestingly, this was Johnson's fifth game this season with exactly 13 targets, and he only has two games with single-digit looks. Fire Johnson up as a high-volume WR2 in Week 12 against the Bengals.

Nov 22, 2021, 12:04 AM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-10 targets for 76 yards and two-point conversion in Pittsburgh's Week 14 loss to the Vikings.

Like his counterpart WR1 on TNF, Johnson's fantasy managers have to be sick knowing that this could have easily been a bigger game. Johnson had two end zone targets he put hands on and just couldn't reel in, and another one which he drew a DPI on. Despite the disappointments in the red zone, Johnson put together another solid game and is easily one of the most reliable target vacuums in the NFL. He'll remain on the WR1 line for Week 15's matchup against the Titans. 

Dec 10, 2021, 12:37 AM ET

How is everyone feeling about Diontae Johnson tonight? Any chance he puts up a big game in Roethlisberger's likely last home game?

Diontae Johnson caught 8-of-15 targets for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 17 win over the Browns.

Johnson averaged just over two yards per target on a night Ben Roethlisberger averaged a career-worst 2.7 yards per attempt. Johnson's 15 targets marked a new season best for the third-year wideout, and he's seen double-digit targets in 11-of-15 games played on the year. Johnson scored his eighth touchdown of the season on a quick-hitting five-yarder in the first half. It was Big Ben's lone touchdown pass of the night. Johnson will close out the regular season as a volume-driven WR1/2 next week against the Ravens. He went 8-105-2 against Baltimore back in Week 13.

- NBC SportsEDGE

I don't know who keeps up with this stuff but his profile photo in social media does not show him in any Steeler's gear. Don't know if that's how it's always been or if this is a case of the social media pout/scrub when contract talks don't go your way.

I would not even mention this but apparently  he's been working out in Florida but did not go with the group at Trubisky's case which included Claypool, Najee and Friermuth among others. A few hours ago he left one of those cryptic posts saying "chin up gangsta you been knew the love was fake".

So not sure if anything to see here or what the Steelers would decide to do if contract talks broke down.

Diontae Johnson’s Market Value, Options if Steelers Want to Replace Him
his profile photo in social media does not show him in any Steeler's gear.
Yep, after all of those WRs got paid he has been making noise.  I saw a number of $18 million a year.  

The WR market hasn't reset but I don't think he would get that from the Steelers.  They were soo strong at WR only a year ago, didn't look like a need and WR is deep this year but after today's devastating news QB became an even bigger need.  

Tough year having to make a decision on extensions for receiver. This guy gets open with the best of them and is a great receiver to pair with a young QB if they get one this year or next. 

I think he is asking at least 20mln, don't blame him, Cook at 28 gets his money, and why Diontae at 25 should not. 
Cooks has been a better WR than Johnson has. 

I'd be pretty wary of paying Johnson. He does a good job getting open in the short game, but I wonder if (doubt really) that he'll be used as often as he was with Big Ben, who seemed to lock onto him for dink and dunk throws like crazy, because that was all Ben could do anymore. 

I'm not a Trubisky fan at all, and I assume they'll draft a QB, but either way, I expect the passing game to be better, or at least more varied, and that will likely be at Johnson's expense, and probably to the benefit of Claypool, and perhaps Freiermuth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qwCxTic1bg

Maybe I am in the minority, but I love Diontae Johnson - guy plays way bigger than his size, has incredible burst and separation.  I don't see how anything he did last year with Ben Roethlisburger @ QB detracts from his skillset.  You can see some plays where he exhibits incredible football instincts and sits down in the zone.  His burst off the line is some of the best in the league.  I respect discussion, but sometimes posts like the above make me wonder if I should sell players during the offseason and then I have to go back to highlights to fall in love with guys all over again.

If you put Diontae Johnson with any of the top 10 QB's in the league, he would be a top 5 WR.  Buy all the shares of Diontae Johnson, because even Mitch Trubisky has improved his value over an old Big Ben. 

Andrew Fillipponi

@ThePoniExpress

Source: Diontae Johnson did not attend the start of the Steelers voluntary offseason program today. The man wants paid. Like his perceived WR peers. McLaurin, Metcalf, Deebo Samuel. Should the Steelers give Diontae Johnson a new deal?

Andrew Fillipponi

@ThePoniExpress

Source: Diontae Johnson did not attend the start of the Steelers voluntary offseason program today. The man wants paid. Like his perceived WR peers. McLaurin, Metcalf, Deebo Samuel. Should the Steelers give Diontae Johnson a new deal?

I think Minkah is the higher priority but we'll know more after the 2022 draft.   

If the Steelers select a WR #1 it may be a signal that they're going to let Johnson walk.   If they sign a WR after the 2nd or 3rd round they almost have to extend Johnson.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that Steelers WR Diontae Johnson "wants to be in Pittsburgh long-term."

Fowler also noted that Johnson is prepared to "play it out" in 2022 without an extension. Entering the final year of his contract, Johnson finished second in the NFL in targets in 2021. But he is now looking at life with Mitch Trubisky at quarterback, and unless the NFL Draft brings a more exciting quarterback prospect to Pittsburgh, Johnson is best approached as a WR2 at the moment. 

SOURCE: Chris Mueller on Twitter

Apr 24, 2022, 2:21 PM ET

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly does not expect the Steelers to re-sign contract-year WR Diontae Johnson. 

This is just one man's opinion — and he has been wrong from time to time — but Kaboly's dot connecting is not off base. Aside from a few Antonio Brown exceptions, the Steelers have traditionally been opposed to extending the big bucks to wideouts. Two variables, of course, are the impending departure of GM Kevin Colbert and Colbert's decades-long track record when it comes to identifying wide receiver talent. Colbert's replacement could have a completely different philosophy with Johnson, who turns 26 in July.  

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 5, 2022, 6:53 PM ET

The Athletic's Mak Kaboly writes that the Steelers won't offer Diontae Johnson "anything near McLaurin or anybody else that got more than $20 million per year."

"They will offer him something, and it won’t be what he thinks he can get on the market, and he will get paid next year somewhere else. That’s the way I see it working out now," Kaboly adds. Johnson reported to OTAs despite some threat of a holdout, but it doesn't appear that the Steelers value him the way other teams might. Johnson could be in for a Christian Kirk-esque payday in 2023's free agency. All he has to do is keep producing this season and stay healthy. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 5, 2022, 1:11 PM ET

@bepryor
Diontae Johnson on his practice participation today:
"I tried to do everything I could, what my arm will allow me to do. I'm doing everything I can literally to try to get back to the guys this Sunday. I'm taking it one day at a time. We gonna see where it goes."
9/7/22, 1:58 PM

@bepryo
Diontae Johnson says he couldn’t have gone back in the preseason game after he injured his shoulder.

He says he feels like he’s on the right trajectory in his healing process but didn’t give a concrete update on his availability vs. Bengals

9/7/22, 1:42 PM

Diontae Johnson (shoulder) said he will play in Week 1 against the Bengals.​

Johnson added that the shoulder injury is a pain tolerance issue. He was a full participant in practice to close the week, which is a good sign that he will play without any limitations on Sunday. With the Steelers being considerable underdogs to Cincinnati, Johnson should be a strong PPR option for Week 1.
SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
Sep 9, 2022, 1:00 PM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 7-of-12 targets for 55 yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.​

Johnson had an amazing sideline catch for 25 yards that helped the Steelers set up a potential game-winning kick in overtime. The Steelers missed that kick but secured the win on their subsequent drive. Johnson didn't have a ton of production but did lead the team with 12 targets. Trubisky looks at locked-in on Johnson as Ben Roethlisberger was. Unfortunately, the offense looks even less potent than the 2021 version. Johnson will be a volume-based RB2 against the Patriots in Week 2.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Diontae Johnson caught 8-of-11 targets for 84 yards in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the Browns.​

Johnson also committed his customary drop, with this one costing the Steelers a major third-down conversion in the fourth quarter. Earlier in the proceedings, he tacked on five yards by drawing a defensive holding call. It was soon after that that Johnson expressed visible frustration with Mitchell Trubisky's ball placement. With Mitch at the controls, Johnson has zero scores in three games and is averaging 9.3 yards per reception. That is not going to cut it, though Johnson has kept his PPR value afloat with at least six grabs each time out. That's nice, but Johnson might need a quarterback switch to Kenny Pickett to re-establish high-end WR2 upside.
Sep 23, 2022, 12:04 AM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-7 targets for 28 yards in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Bucs.

There wasn't much rhythm to the Steelers' passing game with Kenny Pickett and Mitch Trubisky splitting halves after Pickett was concussed on the Steelers' opening play of the second half. It was still yet another all floor, zero ceiling day for everyone's least-favorite compiling-based WR2. Yet to score this season, Johnson is ceding too many high-value touches to Chase Claypool and George Pickens. It was Claypool who almost single-handedly closed out the Bucs on Sunday. The Steelers must visit steamy Miami for Week 7.

- NBCSportsEDGE

If Mitch starts week 7, or longer, might have to bump Diontae down and move up Pickens and Claypool a little.

Sorry don't have it available to link but just read article on Pittsburgh Post Gazette that Trubisky was benched at halftime of the Jets game because of an argument with Diontae at halftime. Basically per the article the central part of the altercation was Diontae was demanding that Mitch throw him the ball more, Trubisky did not back down and things got testy.

Trubisky attempted 12 passes yesterday. I only counted one that went to Diontae, one of this 3 incompletions.

Steelers WR Diontae Johnson (hip) will play in Week 14 vs the Ravens.​

T.J. Watt and LB Malik Reed were also upgraded from questionable. Johnson had limited practice reps this week but removing him from the injury report suggests he'll be available for his regular snaps. Johnson has just one game over 60 yards since Week 10, but his target share has remained high with 19 targets the last two weeks.
SOURCE: steelers.com
Dec 10, 2022, 1:07 PM ET

Diontae Johnson (hip) did not practice on Thursday.​

This would be a surprise after a full practice on Wednesday, except Johnson did not practice last Thursday either in the same circumstances with the same injury. He was active for Week 14 and probably should be considered likely to play through this injury in Week 15 as well. He spoke to the media earlier today, which is another good sign.
Dec 15, 2022, 2:38 PM ET

Diontae Johnson caught 10-of-10 targets for 98 yards in the Steelers' Week 15 win against the Panthers.​

Johnson, a veritable master of expected fantasy points, did the impossible against Carolina and scored actual fantasy points. He put on a clinic from start to finish against man coverage, even gaining yards after the catch after a few receptions in the second half. Mitch Trubisky, starting in place of Kenny Pickett (concussion), enjoyed a 45.4 percent target share against a middling Panthers coverage unit that refused to shade more coverage toward Johnson. Sunday marked a season high for receptions and receiving yards for the veteran. It will be hard to trust him as anything more than a WR3 in PPR formats next week against the Raiders.
Dec 18, 2022, 3:55 PM ET

NFL on CBS 1f3c8.png

OZ1IWB61_bigger.jpg
@NFLonCBS
Most targets in a single season for a player without a receiving TD since 1992*
2022 Diontae Johnson 123
1996 Michael Timpson 109
2004 Amani Toomer 107
2009 Torry Holt 103
*when targets were first tracked

Diontae Johnson (toe) did not practice on Wednesday.​

Despite being listed as a limited participant on Tuesday's estimated practice report, Johnson was not on the field Wednesday. Interestingly, head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that Johnson would not be limited later in the week, which would suggest he'd log some sort of practice on Thursday. Johnson caught 10-of-10 targets for 98 yards in last week's game against the Panthers and didn't appear hampered by this new toe injury. We'll trust he'll be ready to go for Week 16 barring an announcement suggesting otherwise.
Dec 21, 2022, 5:56 PM ET

Interesting player that i think in ppr will remain useful but hasn’t really won anybody a week. Have to wonder if Pickett will eventually be a guy that can lead an offense that has an explosive element or at least some td upside.

Diontae Johnson (hip) returned to Steelers practice Thursday, getting in a full session.​

The Steelers have been managing Johnson's practice reps the past few weeks. Scoreless on 137 targets this season, Johnson will be looking to avoid infamy in Sunday's finale against the Browns. He's an uninspiring WR3 for Week 18.
SOURCE: Brian Batko on Twitter
Jan 5, 2023, 2:49 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread