What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Garrett Wilson, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Ohio State sophomore WR Garrett Wilson (undisclosed) worked out on the side during the teams practice on Thursday.

Wilson (6'0"/193) had been fully present at previous practice sessions, but was on the sideline doing limited individual work. The crafty potential first-round talent is known for his advanced route running and crisp breaks, reeling in 43-of-58 for a 74% catch rate, 723 yards, 16.8 YPC and six touchdowns in 2020. He is expected to join Chris Olave to form an elite receiving duo that might be the best in the nation. The Buckeyes open their season Thursday, September 2 against Minnesota.

SOURCE: Dan Hope on Twitter

Aug 12, 2021, 4:52 PM ET

Pro Football Focus ranks Ohio State wide receivers Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave as the best receiving duo in the country.

The Ohio State wide receiver room helmed by former Buckeye standout Brian Harline has produced its share of elite wideouts in recent years. Both Wilson and Olave rank in the top-10 in PFF receiving grade among Power Five wide receivers last year, with Olave generating at least one yard of separation on 89 percent of his routes which was tops in the nation in 2020. Each of them averaged over three-yards per route run last year, making the OSU duo just the fifth wide receiver duo to achieve that mark in the last five years. Ohio State opens the 2021 season on Thursday, September 2 at Minnesota. 

RELATED: 

Chris Olave

SOURCE: PFF.com

Jul 17, 2021, 12:27 PM ET

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Ohio State sophomore WR Mel Kiper Jr. as the 11th best player in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Wilson (6'0/193) is a proficient technical receiver who reeled in 43-of-58 for a 74 percent catch rate, 723 yards, 16.8 YPC and six touchdowns last year. He ran 73 percent of his routes from the slot and earned a strong 82.9 receiving grade from PFF during OSU's run to the CFP national championship game. Kiper believes Wilson should get more opportunities on the outside in 2021 and has him listed as the top receiver in the 2022 class on his latest big board.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 31, 2021, 1:09 PM ET

Every year before the college football season begins I make it a point to identify the top 30 fantasy relevant players in college football and then watch most of their games.  

This kid is on my list...excited to watch him this weekend.

This is the best WR I have ever seen at OSU.  Yes, I am old enough that I saw Chris Carter play.  Yes, Wilson is better (in college) than Carter was (in college).  OK fine twist my arm he's tied (Carter was a god, if they threw the ball back then like they do now he'd have been a 2K guy).  He's better than David Boston was, he's better than Terry Glenn was, Michael Jenkins, Santonio Holmes, Joey Galloway, he's better than all of them (except the tie with Carter).  The guy is always open.  And not just NFL open, he's open by feet and yards.  Plus he's got great balls skills - he times his jumps correctly (looking at you Amari Cooper), he waits until the last second to lift his hands for the catch so the DB can't key on that and react, he's probably got a 40" vertical and he knows when to use it.

I hope they hype stays as low as it has been.  Some people rank Olave over him and while Olave's really good, it's a laughable thought to me.  I am drafting Wilson over Olave 100/100 times in devy drafts.

This is the best WR I have ever seen at OSU.  Yes, I am old enough that I saw Chris Carter play.  Yes, Wilson is better (in college) than Carter was (in college).  OK fine twist my arm he's tied (Carter was a god, if they threw the ball back then like they do now he'd have been a 2K guy).  He's better than David Boston was, he's better than Terry Glenn was, Michael Jenkins, Santonio Holmes, Joey Galloway, he's better than all of them (except the tie with Carter).  The guy is always open.  And not just NFL open, he's open by feet and yards.  Plus he's got great balls skills - he times his jumps correctly (looking at you Amari Cooper), he waits until the last second to lift his hands for the catch so the DB can't key on that and react, he's probably got a 40" vertical and he knows when to use it.

I hope they hype stays as low as it has been.  Some people rank Olave over him and while Olave's really good, it's a laughable thought to me.  I am drafting Wilson over Olave 100/100 times in devy drafts.
this will become blatantly obvious this year

And of course after I post that he whiffs on one right between his hands haha.

Made up for it an hour later.  O H

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson caught eight passes for 117 yards in Saturday’s 35-28 loss to Oregon.

All three of the Buckeyes’ big-three receivers went over 100-yards receiving today. For Wilson, it was his first 100-yard game since last November‘s win over Indiana. Ohio State has an embarrassment of riches at the wide receiver position, but it is showing in the earl- going that it’s able to feed all the mouths in that stacked position room. Of course, 484 passing yards weren't enough to overcome the Ducks this afternoon.

Sep 11, 2021, 4:09 PM ET

PFF's Mike Renner had Ohio State redshirt sophomore Garrett Wilson as the first wide receiver off the board going 18th to the Cleveland Browns.

With the status surrounding Odell Beckham Jr's future with the Browns up in the air, having Wilson go to Cleveland makes a lot of sense. As PFF's top wide receiver prospect, Wilson can do it all. He is a smooth, fluid athlete with the speed and savvy to get open in both creative and explosive ways. He also has excellent ball skills in the open field that allows him to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. There will be some debate with who is going to be WR1 in this class, but Wilson definitely deserves to be in that conversation. 

SOURCE: PFF

Nov 5, 2021, 1:02 AM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson (head) returned to practice on Tuesday and is expected to play against Purdue this Saturday.

Wilson (6'0/183) missed last week's game against Nebraska due to being in concussion protocol, with Jaxon Smith-Njigba going off for 15 catches and 240 receiving yards in his place. When asked about Wilson's status for this weekend, HC Ryan Day said he will be back on the practice field Tuesday and that he is “Looking forward to having him back this week.” The Buckeyes will have their full compliment of wideouts this Saturday when they face upset minded Purdue who just knocked off the undefeated Michigan State Spartans.

SOURCE: Dan Hope on Twitter

Nov 9, 2021, 12:56 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson caught 10 passes for 126 yards with three touchdowns and ran for 51 yards with a score in a 59-31 rout of Purdue on Saturday.

Welcome back. Wilson was ruled out against Nebraska last week because of a head injury, but he cleared the concussion protocol and went back to impressing on the gridiron. Impressing is an understatement. He did have the 51-yard touchdown run, but he (of course0 did most of his damage with the three receiving scores on Saturday to help lead Ohio State to an eighth-straight win. Wilson (6'0/168) is a star, and should be plenty involved -- even with mouths to feed -- next Saturday against Michigan State. 

Nov 13, 2021, 7:19 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson caught seven passes for 126 yards and two touchdowns in OSU's 56-7 dismantling of Michigan State.

Wilson (6'0"/183) had his second straight 126-yard game in another stellar performance. The future first round pick is nearing his first thousand yard season by dominating an outmatched Spartan's secondary. He, along with the other OSU receivers were running rampant all day. Wilson blew the game open with a 77-yard TD grab, splitting the safety and corner down the seam, and then added another one on a quick slant. He did it all, as he has done all season, and Stroud hit him perfectly in stride time and time again. There's not much more that needs to be said about Wilson, who's proved all season he is one of the best receivers in college football. He'll get an opportunity to expand his gaudy season totals next week against Michigan.

Nov 20, 2021, 6:07 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson turned 10 receptions into 119 yards and a touchdown in Saturday’s 42-27 loss to Michigan.

In particular in November, Wilson has been a target hog, with 27 catches and six touchdowns in only three games. He's up to a 70-1058-12 receiving line this season with one game to go. Unfortunately, that game won't be either the B1G title or a playoff game for the 10-2 Buckeyes.

Nov 27, 2021, 4:22 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore WR Garrett Wilson has opted out of the Rose Bowl, will enter draft. 

Wilson (6'0"/183) was one of the best receivers in the country this year, pulling down 70 receptions for 1058 yards and 12 touchdowns. He'll be one of the first wide receivers off the board in the upcoming NFL Draft, so it's no shock to see him opt out of the Rose Bowl and declare. Wilson is the first Rose Bowl opt out in history. 

SOURCE: Garrett Wilson on Twitter

Dec 27, 2021, 4:29 PM ET

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah compares Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson to Buffalo Bill's Stefon Diggs.

As the initial mock drafts start to roll out, most have Wilson (6'0"/183) edging out USC's Drake London and Arkansas' Treylon Burks as the first receiver taken off the board. The consensus seems to be he's potential at top 10-15 pick. NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has Wilson going at No. 9 to Denver Broncos. The Broncos with Jerry Jeudy, Tim Patrick, and Courtland Sutton are not in need of a receiver, but on Jeremiah's board, doesn't list the teams so maybe he believes Wilson is the ninth-best player. In Jeremiah's write-up, he compared Wilson to two-time pro bowler Stefon Diggs. Jeremiah likes Wilson's abilities after the catch, that he can make defenders miss, and power through tackles or utilize a stiff arm, all similar to Diggs. Diggs has become the leading receiver when he moved to Buffalo and has earned a trip to the Pro Bowl the last two seasons.  Any team will take that all day.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 13, 2022, 2:27 PM ET

According to Luke Easterling, he has Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson being taken at No. 27 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The one thing about this upcoming draft is at some of the prominent offensive positions like quarterback, running back, or wide receiver, there is no consensus No.1. At wide receiver, some have Ohio State's Garett Wilson as the first pass-catcher taken off the board in early mocks, followed by USC's Drake London, Arkansas Treylon Burks, and Alabama's Jameson Williams. In his latest mock draft, Draftwire's Luke Easterling has Wilson being taken second to Burks at No. 27 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This is one position better than his previous mock with him going to the Packers. If Tampa Bay doesn't end up re-signing Chris Godwin, then taking a wide receiver seems logical to pair up with Mike Evans. The Bucs are also in need of a quarterback after Tom Brady surprisingly decided to retire after a quick 22-year career. NFL insiders believe the Bucs are going to make a big splash in free agency to land a QB, but some draft experts have them grabbing a QB. What they do could have a domino effect on where other the people land.

SOURCE: Draftwire

Feb 19, 2022, 1:47 PM ET

PFN draft analyst and insider Tony Pauline said during a radio interview that he believes Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson will be the first wide receiver taken in the NFL Draft.

On a radio appearance with Bull and Fox on 92.3 The Fan, Pauline said that he believes Wilson will be the first wide receiver off the board. He went on to elaborate about how this year's class will be dependent on how teams stack the board. With the diversity at the top of the wide receiver class, there could be 4-5 different receivers that could be the first taken. Wilson would be no surprise as the top guy, as he wins on every level consistently with technique and explosiveness.

SOURCE: 92.3 The Fan

Feb 24, 2022, 5:15 PM ET

FMIA: NFL Combine Prep Begins With These 5 Truths About The ’22 Draft; TV Broadcaster Money Turns Crazy

Excerpts:

While we talked Saturday night, Jeremiah sent me two video clips of receivers in this draft. One was of his favorite wideout in the draft, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson. The other was from a basketball dunk by another receiver he’s smitten, USC’s Drake London.

As for Wilson, he’s a different receiver—faster, excellent route-runner, great athleticism. He’s likely to run in the low 4.4s or high 4.3s in Indy, which will make people love him more.

“We’ll show this at the combine,” Jeremiah said of the Wilson video he sent me.

ESPN College Football @ESPNCFB

Garrett Wilson made this unreal catch as a TRUE freshman

https://twitter.com/espncfb/status/1265684371102629889?s=21

“You gotta go back and watch Garrett Wilson in his freshman year,” Jeremiah continued. “They’re playing Clemson. He goes up and makes a catch on the sideline that’s as good a catch as any that I’ve ever seen. He can jump out of the gym. He reminds me of Justin Jefferson [in the 2020 draft]. I loved everything about Justin Jefferson. Everything he did was really clean—best route-runner in the draft. It’s panned out that way.”

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson had the best passer rating when targeted this past season.

The Ohio State offense was loaded with talent this past season, but Wilson (6'0/188) stood out in a big way. Not only did he top 1,000 and 12 touchdowns this past season, he also made things easy for his quarterback CJ Stroud. In 2021, no receiver had a better quarterback rating when targeted at a whopping 157.3. He was able to do that by gaining a lot of separation and dominating at the catch point. Come April, Wilson has a chance to be the first quarterback taken.

SOURCE: PFF

Mar 2, 2022, 11:48 PM ET

I know he won't make it to 47 to the Colts, but man, I sure wish he would.  Someone like David Bell could however.

This guy is going to be awesome. Really curious where he gets picked. Probably starts becoming an option around pick 10 Jets or so I think. 

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson posted an unofficial time of 4.37 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. 

It was a faster time than expected, one that could put the 6-foot-0 wideout in position to leapfrog Arkansas' Treylon Burks as the draft's consensus top wideout. Wilson also turned in a 36-inch jump on the vertical. Coming off a 70/1,058/12 junior year in the Big 10, Wilson will be 21 on draft weekend. ESPN's Rich Cimini believes he could be a consideration for the Jets at No. 10 overall. 

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2022, 10:43 PM ET

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson has a chance at being the first WR off the board in the 2022 NFL Draft.

There's no question that Wilson (6'0/188) will be coming off the board early in the 2022 NFL Draft, or that he's considered a Tier 1 wide receiver by Kevin Cole of Pro Football Focus. Other receivers he included in that top tier were Treylon Burks (Arkansas), Jameson Williams (Alabama) and Skyy Moore (Western Michigan). The most interesting thing in April will be to see in which order those names come off the board.

Mar 10, 2022, 5:51 PM ET

According to DraftKings, Ohio State's Garrett Wilson has the best odds to be the first wide receiver taken in this year's draft.

This is a very talented group of wide receivers in the draft as many believe there will be a few taken in the first round this year. One of those wide receivers is Wilson (6'0"/188) as several mock drafts have him as the first wide receiver off the board, including DraftKings who have his odds at +100. That could certainly change as USC WR Drake London has yet to test his skills as he recovers from an ankle injury. He will be conducting his own personal pro day early in April and if he looks good, he could very well move into that top spot. Might be best to hold off on that bet till then.

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 12, 2022, 6:30 PM ET

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson elite acceleration and explosiveness are what sets him apart. 

Wilson's (6'0"/183) 4.38 40 represents that well. More than his top-end speed though, it's Wilson's smooth and almost effortless looking ability to accelerate past defenders on routes. He is a deadly deep threat, sliding into his second gear quickly and then it's lights out from there. That explosive ability serves him well in the YAC department as well. His slight frame does make it difficult for him to get past press coverage and bigger corners, but if he is allowed space to run he's already past you. 

SOURCE: Natalie Miller on DraftWire

Mar 26, 2022, 7:11 PM ET

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson was one of the best for quarterback's passer rating in the BIG 10.

CJ Stroud was one of the best quarterbacks in College Football last with Garrett Wilson and one of his teammates being a big reason. The quarterback rating when targeting Jaxon Smith-Njigba was 141.8 then Wilson with 141.7, that's one and two in the Big 10 respectively. This is a reason why experts have Wilson as one of the top receivers in this draft because he will help whatever quarterback he is throwing to.

SOURCE: PFF College

Apr 6, 2022, 9:04 PM ET

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson sits atop Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus' position rankings.

Wilson (6'0/183) is largely considered to be one of the best receivers within what is a solid class at the position. Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus recently released his wideout rankings, which had Wilson at the top ahead of Chris Olave (Ohio State) and Jameson Williams (Alabama): "This draft class might not have a Ja’Marr Chase level prospect — a true superstar receiver with no true flaw to his game. If you read scouting reports of Chase, the negatives tended to be vague and imprecise, while his positives were many. Wilson is similar in that he isn’t bad at anything, but the only question is whether he has the high-end potential that Chase does. He is an excellent route runner who can be better at the catch point than you would think given his size. He caught 61.5% of contested targets in 2021 and is one of the safest receiver prospects you’ll find."

SOURCE: Sam Monson on PFF

Apr 8, 2022, 8:07 PM ET

JPA Football

@jpafootball

Report: Garrett Wilson is the “consensus” top WR in the draft according to teams that

@TonyPauline

has spoken to

7:14 PM · Apr 13, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Garrett Wilson, Ohio State

Based on conversations I’ve had with teams since draft meetings have ended, Ohio State’s Garrett Wilson is the consensus top receiver in this year’s draft. He’s also the top wideout on my board. The junior put together a terrific 2021 season, improving his pass-catching numbers to 70 receptions with 1,058 yards, despite the Buckeyes breaking in a new quarterback.

Wilson went on to have a terrific Combine workout, timing 4.38 seconds in the 40 at 192 pounds. He then wowed NFL decision-makers during the Ohio State Pro Day. Wilson’s increase in production is in line with the progress he showed in all areas of the receiver position between 2020 to 2021.

He’s already been on official 30 visits to see the New York Jets as well as the Carolina Panthers. The Washington Commanders also remain on his travel schedule.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-and-rumors-team-visits-heat-up-for-garrett-wilson-charleston-rambo-christian-watson/

Ohio State WR Garrett Wilson is the top wide receiver on the consensus board compiled by The Athletic's Arif Hasan.

The group of wide receivers on the consensus board is in a fascinating place. The top-five receivers are all in the range from 10-20 and Wilson (6'0/183) fits the bill of a top receiver. He has great route running prowess, is fantastic after the catch, and can dominate at the catch point. He is one spot above Alabama's Jameson Williams with the others at 15, 19, and 20.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 21, 2022, 11:23 PM ET

According to DraftKings, Ohio State's Garrett Wilson is favored to be the first wide receiver taken in the draft.

Wilson (6'0/183) is one of the more complete wide receivers in the draft and that's why he becoming a favorite to be the first one taken. Great route running abilities, but also has the speed to separate from the defense, which is what you look for in a top wideout. Draftkings have Wilson as a slight favorite to be the first WR taken at -110 with Jameson Williams next at +175. This is one of the deeper positions in the draft and who goes first is not set in stone.

SOURCE: Julian Edlow

Apr 27, 2022, 10:28 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread