What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Pickens is a target of mine in several drafts so this is disconcerting. The report notes multiple teams saying he was terrible at the interview, so it seems like there's something up. 
It can both be true and he still clearly be the 8th best option in non sf drafts. I think this only gets muddy if one of the top 5 wr falls or someone like Dotson goes to a situation like GB or KC early day 2. 

Pickens is a target of mine in several drafts so this is disconcerting. The report notes multiple teams saying he was terrible at the interview, so it seems like there's something up. 
If we can find a report that isn't from Charlie Campbell at Walter Football, I'm ready to listen. 

Walter Football has a terrible reputation, and I wonder how many Director of Player Personnels from around the league are speaking off the record to "Walter Football".

When asked which WR is the most boom-or-bust guy, three coaches/scouts interviewed by the Athletic's Bruce Feldman picked George Pickens. 

All three coaches/scouts agreed Pickens' (6'3"/200) tape, talent and skills are easily top-five in the class. The problem is they all mentioned his maturity and willingness to put in the work. Analyst Marcus Mosher has said he has also heard whispers that Pickens' interviewed quite poorly in pre-draft meetings. That's an interesting wrinkle to the Pickens' story. Most thought the injury that kept him from playing much all in the college were the biggest red flags, but it seems to be his attitude that his holding him back. 

SOURCE: Bruce Feldman on the Athletic

Apr 25, 2022, 3:21 PM ET

Most underrated player in the draft in my opinion. Wouldn't be shocked if ends up the best WR in the class. If he falls out of the top-50, he's likely just gonna have a bigger chip on his shoulder. I'm gonna be thrilled if he makes it to 1.9 pretty much regardless of where he lands. 

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that Georgia WR George Pickens could "go deep into Day 2."

Fowler believes that Pickens has a chance to go in the first round, noting that several NFL executives believe Pickens is a top-5 talent in the class. The Packers, Chiefs, and Cardinals "are among teams that have done lots of homework on him." However, Pickens 2021 ACL tear and off the field issues have some teams concerned. Pickens notably fought with a Georgia Tech player, picking up a half-game suspension; it's also possible his team interviews haven't gone perfectly. Pickens remains unlikely to fall to Round 3, but he could go later in Round 2 than expected.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Apr 27, 2022, 11:11 AM ET

Pickens 2021 ACL tear and off the field issues have some teams concerned
I find it curious that teams are reportedly frightened by Pickens' ACL tear, and yet, when it comes to Jameson Williams, you get a completely different response.  

I find it curious that teams are reportedly frightened by Pickens' ACL tear, and yet, when it comes to Jameson Williams, you get a completely different response.  
Has PIckens had complications and a slower return than normal?  If so, then he is further along the process with issues where Williams is still on track and everyone is thinking best case scenario until proven otherwise.  Pickens may have already "proven otherwise". 

Has PIckens had complications and a slower return than normal?  If so, then he is further along the process with issues where Williams is still on track and everyone is thinking best case scenario until proven otherwise.  Pickens may have already "proven otherwise". 
Quite the contrary.  Pickens actually returned in-season, then impressed at the Combine with a 4.47 forty!  

Last edited by a moderator:
So the guy got into it with an opponent during a rivalry game? Shocking. Not sure how that should be a ding against him. And the interviews supposedly not going well sounds like pure speculation. Not seeing him falling to late 2nd. 

Steelers selected Georgia WR George Pickens with the No. 52 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Pickens (6'3/195) declared for the draft after a junior season spent recuperating from an ACL tear in the spring of 2021. Prior to the injury, Pickens looked poised to challenge for the top wide receiver in the 2022 draft class, particularly as a freshman, when he recorded a 26% yardage share and a 33% TD share at just 18 years old. Pickens wasn't quite as impressive in 2020, with a meager raw stat line of 36-513-6 in eight games, but that translated to a more impressive 23% yardage share and 35% TD share. Following his ACL tear, he ran just 32 routes in four games in 2021. Impressively, Pickens managed to run a 4.47 40 at the Combine not yet a year removed from injury. Pickens' speed is critical because he profiles as a pure outside deep threat; his average depth of target never fell below 15.0 in his three seasons. It will be interesting to watch how Pickens fits in with Chase Claypool, who is a close match stylistically...and also announced the pick. 

Apr 29, 2022, 8:44 PM ET

Rest of the league is eventually gonna be scratching heads over how Pickens and Moore fell to the Steelers and Chiefs. :SMDH:
Fascinating how little stock the layman puts into the poor character aspect of a player’s evaluation. 

JetMaxx said:
Fascinating how little stock the layman puts into the poor character aspect of a player’s evaluation. 
I don't think anyone is overlooking character concerns.  Pickens has shown some immaturity, no doubt, but how egregious are these acts of immaturity?  He got into a fight in the endzone during a game and doused an opposing QB with his water bottle on the sidelines during another game.  Immature acts to be sure, but I am unaware of any reports of off-field violence.

I don't think anyone is overlooking character concerns.  Pickens has shown some immaturity, no doubt, but how egregious are these acts of immaturity?  He got into a fight in the endzone during a game and doused an opposing QB with his water bottle on the sidelines during another game.  Immature acts to be sure, but I am unaware of any reports of off-field violence.
What worries me more than the character red flags is that he didn't do squat after his Freshman year and I'm excusing the injury year.  Some will blame it on bad QB play his Sophomore year, but it goes deeper than that IMO.

What worries me more than the character red flags is that he didn't do squat after his Freshman year and I'm excusing the injury year.
Pickens broke out in 2019 as a true freshman.  In a 2020 COVID-condensed season, Pickens played just 8 games due to an injured pectoral muscle and still led the team in receiving with 513 yards on 36 receptions and 6 TDs.  He went on to miss the 2020 season with a torn ACL, but showed remarkable rehab, coming back for the college football playoffs.

Pickens broke out in 2019 as a true freshman.  In a 2020 COVID-condensed season, Pickens played just 8 games due to an injured pectoral muscle and still led the team in receiving with 513 yards on 36 receptions and 6 TDs.  He went on to miss the 2020 season with a torn ACL, but showed remarkable rehab, coming back for the college football playoffs.
If you want to call that elite knock yourself out.

If you want to call that elite knock yourself out.
Certainly not elite numbers, and, to your point, it is disappointing that Pickens never capitalized on his breakout freshman season, regardless of the reasons.  Nonetheless, there is good reason to believe we have yet to see the best of George Pickens.

Rookie draft just started, and I have 1.7 and 2.01 (12 team).

Took Olave at 7, and was hoping Pickens at 13. Dude went next pick, 1.9. 

Feels like he will have a big range in rookie drafts

Rookie draft just started, and I have 1.7 and 2.01 (12 team).

Took Olave at 7, and was hoping Pickens at 13. Dude went next pick, 1.9. 

Feels like he will have a big range in rookie drafts
I took Pickens at 1.12. I traded up for him. The person who originally held the pick was going to draft Christian Watson at 1.12. I would have grabbed Pickens with the 2.1, which was also where I sat (I held the 1.12, 2.1, and 2.02 at that point) so he does have the potential to make it to 13. Draft I was just in proved it. If I don't move up, he would have been mine at 2.01. 

Steelers signed second-round WR George Pickens to a four-year contract.

Pickens will likely start out as Pittsburgh's third wide receiver behind Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, and his frame suggests he'll play outside while Johnson moves to the slot. Pickens will probably be only tangentially on the fantasy radar in 2022 unless the Steelers have an offensive explosion sparked by Kenny Pickett. But as Johnson is in the final year of his rookie contract, he could very well be a big factor in 2023.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

May 13, 2022, 4:04 PM ET

"Even before the draft began, there were rumblings that George Pickens suffered from maturity issues. He had some notable blowups as a freshman in 2019 that got him in trouble. Don’t forget he only turned 21-years old in March. Certain reports indicated red flags surrounded him. Poles had no intention of putting somebody like that in the same huddle as his quarterback. Maybe it was too cautious of a decision, but it’s unlikely the Bears GM regrets it."

I would have worried about his lack of production after his freshman year, even excusing the injury year.

"Even before the draft began, there were rumblings that George Pickens suffered from maturity issues. He had some notable blowups as a freshman in 2019 that got him in trouble. Don’t forget he only turned 21-years old in March. Certain reports indicated red flags surrounded him. Poles had no intention of putting somebody like that in the same huddle as his quarterback. Maybe it was too cautious of a decision, but it’s unlikely the Bears GM regrets it."

I would have worried about his lack of production after his freshman year, even excusing the injury year.

That doesn't really make any sense. He injured it his sophomore year and came back late in his junior year and then left early for the draft. 

The injury happened during the spring between soph and jr.
Yes, in spring practice. So JohnnyU should be concerned about his lack of production his sophomore year? A little strict, but I guess...

I'm more concerned about how quickly he came back from the injury. Something I read on these boards about nine months really being the magic number, and he was pushing it at eight months. 

Yes, in spring practice. So JohnnyU should be concerned about his lack of production his sophomore year? A little strict, but I guess...

I'm more concerned about how quickly he came back from the injury. Something I read on these boards about nine months really being the magic number, and he was pushing it at eight months. 
Pickens did return in record time (a testament perhaps to his dedication?).  He played limited snaps upon return, so I am not sure there is much to be concerned about, but I would love to hear your perspective.

Pickens did return in record time (a testament perhaps to his dedication?).  He played limited snaps upon return, so I am not sure there is much to be concerned about, but I would love to hear your perspective.
There's really no perspective other than I hope he didn't accelerate his rehab and compromise the joint. I'm not a doctor and wasn't there for his timeline, but I've read around here that there's a nine-month timetable for what he was doing a few months earlier. 

I have no idea. Best hear about it from a doctor (his old team and new team doctors) than from me. 

It also goes to show how unconcerned I am about his sophomore production. 

I can't remember Pickens health status his soph year but I don't understand the discussion of his lack of production. The offense has always spread the ball around, he only played 8 games that year and posted almost a 1/4th of the total team receiving yardage in those 8 games. Again on an offense that likes to spread it around I don't see the issue.

Have to see how things shake out from camp.  If Pickens comes out to prove he’s a nasty blocker in this RPO, he could find himself on the field a whole lot more. Expect his fantasy production to be TD and yardage heavy with high ceiling low floor.  Better pick for best ball.

my way too early take on Canada’s system
Harris and Johnson are the high volume PPR options

Freiermuth seam ripper and 3rd down security blanket

Mapletron gets his gadget on with jet sweeps, misdirection, play action and occasional deep ball

Pickens stretches the field trying to get 1 on 1 matchups. Would be sick if he maintains that 68% contested catch completion rate as a pro. Sick!  He can elevate the offense and make these young QB look real good.

Fun sized Lightning McAustin gets sprinkled in. Theoretically, Defenses have to play disciplined or risk giving up chunk plays. Steelers will look to get him the ball in space or outrun the secondary.  

There's really no perspective other than I hope he didn't accelerate his rehab and compromise the joint. I'm not a doctor and wasn't there for his timeline, but I've read around here that there's a nine-month timetable for what he was doing a few months earlier. 

I have no idea. Best hear about it from a doctor (his old team and new team doctors) than from me. 

It also goes to show how unconcerned I am about his sophomore production. 
Every rehab is different, but as a general rule your timeline is right - it was not a wise decision to return to activity as early as he did. We're not privy to the details and he could be a mutant like AD, but we don't have the information necessary to make such a judgment. Based on the info we do have it's fair to assess extra injury risk to him than his contemporaries for at least this year, but given his current value on the market it is something I'm comfortable with.

Have to see how things shake out from camp.  If Pickens comes out to prove he’s a nasty blocker in this RPO, he could find himself on the field a whole lot more
I have similar read on this as well but as it relates to Pickens I'd add a big key is will he be something close to a starter even if he does not pass Claypool?  This would seem likely to be the case if 11 personnel is the base offense and Diontae or Claypool is kicked into the slot.  So to me the big key is how much of their base offense will feature 3-4 WR sets. My thought is most of the time, how much and being sure he's that third WR is to me a big key.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes of George Pickens' fantasy stock: "Pickens will produce some splash plays as a rookie but not enough to be somebody you blindly start every week."

The Steelers have plenty of mouths to feed between Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, Pat Freiermuth, and Najee Harris. Pickens probably won't see too much of the fantasy football spotlight without injuries ahead of him in the pecking order. Still, he's a good buy for the long-term with Johnson in a contract year. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 21, 2022, 4:35 PM ET

Steelers WR George Pickens "isn’t going to be asked to do much" as a rookie.

This isn't a surprise given Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool, and Pat Freiermuth are ahead of Pickens for targets. Pickens will likely start out as Pittsburgh's third receiver and could be featured similar to how the Steelers used Martavis Bryant in the red-zone, who had eight touchdowns his first year. The second-round rookie was a full participant at OTAs after 2021 ACL surgery. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 2, 2022, 10:04 AM ET

He's going to skyrocket up the rankings...I'm considering him above Olave and Wilson...not there yet.

I can only dream that he's really the guy they line up wide in 2WR sets. Pittsburgh might be practicing 3WR sets by moving Claypool to the slot, but that doesn't mean Claypool will come off of the field in 2WR situations. I think everybody is missing that on Twitter, really. What you really want to see is him beating out Claypool in 2WR sets. And that's going to take all preseason. Don't jump so quickly to conclusions here. 

Users who are viewing this thread