What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Some teams are going to look back and kick themselves. Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, John Metchie III, and Tyquan Thornton were all taken in the second round ahead of Pickens, and while the Chiefs didn't take Skyy Moore ahead of Pickens, they traded down from 50 to 54 to make the pick, missing out on Pickens, who went 52. ALL of those moves seemed insanely stupid at the time, and appear even worse now! smh

Wow. Spot on. Steelers looking really good here (again). Glad I snagged him in a couple of my rookie drafts. Even more glad I didn't have to burn a 1st to get him.

Some teams are going to look back and kick themselves. Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, John Metchie III, and Tyquan Thornton were all taken in the second round ahead of Pickens, and while the Chiefs didn't take Skyy Moore ahead of Pickens, they traded down from 50 to 54 to make the pick, missing out on Pickens, who went 52. ALL of those moves seemed insanely stupid at the time, and appear even worse now! smh

Wow. Spot on. Steelers looking really good here (again). Glad I snagged him in a couple of my rookie drafts. Even more glad I didn't have to burn a 1st to get him.

I know they don’t all work out for them but dangit the Stillers are awesome at drafting WRs.

I know they don’t all work out for them but dangit the Stillers are awesome at drafting WRs.
Imagine Pickens with KC. How much more his adp would be now.

Imagine Pickens with KC. How much more his adp would be now.
Or better yet, Green Bay...

George Pickens was apparently pro ready. Glad I got him at 1.12. Traded up to make sure of it.
That was one a good one for you. I think working out for both of us, as I was planning to take C. Watson if I stayed at 1.12. I took Dameon Pierce and Alec Pierce with the picks I got from you, and I’d still take both over Watson.

I did trade up in another league and took Pickens at 1.10. A bit early based on ADP at the time (and took Pickens over Cook, which was not the norm), but happy with how that is working out. I had Pickens in the college fantasy league over at Zealots — loved the talent; just hope he can stay healthy.

Last edited:
31 were off the board. Only 1 QB (Garoppolo) in rounds 6, 7 and 8. By the middle of the 9th, just felt like anyone with a pulse should be going shortly. And Geno Smith went shortly after my pick of Trubisky.

31 were off the board. Only 1 QB (Garoppolo) in rounds 6, 7 and 8. By the middle of the 9th, just felt like anyone with a pulse should be going shortly. And Geno Smith went shortly after my pick of Trubisky.
Great option for the #32 QB off the board. Maybe you could have waited, but maybe not too many factors to predict. With Najee, those three WRs & Freirmuth the opportunity to excel is there.

Realistic projections for Redraft-Rookie Season...I read the hype but what is it going to produce in terms of yds and TDs in 2022?

People are posting words like Randy Moss and you can't toss that around lightly so i want more information.

Realistic projections for Redraft-Rookie Season...I read the hype but what is it going to produce in terms of yds and TDs in 2022?

People are posting words like Randy Moss and you can't toss that around lightly so i want more information.
Was wondering the same. I like receivers with size and of course decent speed. Honestly, it seems most highly touted receivers are on the smallish side. I kept Pittman because of my affinity and got lucky. I still love Jamison Williams though in spite of his lean side. Honestly, I'm not sure who I would take if both were available. I still think Williams will have the better opportunity early once healthy but long term Pickens seems destined to be another great Steeler receiver. I'd curb expectations this year though.

George Pickens was apparently pro ready. Glad I got him at 1.12. Traded up to make sure of it.
That was one a good one for you. I think working out for both of us, as I was planning to take C. Watson if I stayed at 1.12. I took Dameon Pierce and Alec Pierce with the picks I got from you, and I’d still take both over Watson.

I did trade up in another league and took Pickens at 1.10. A bit early based on ADP at the time (and took Pickens over Cook, which was not the norm), but happy with how that is working out. I had Pickens in the college fantasy league over at Zealots — loved the talent; just hope he can stay healthy.

Yeah, it has worked out well for both of us so far. I think you might have been upset had you stayed put and chosen Watson. As of now, I'm upset I took him with the next pick, actually, though I'm not exactly sure who else I would have taken besides Dotson. But that could really change. Watson might turn out to surprise everybody and be a stud. Anyway, if I had kept the picks, I think I would have picked Pickens and Spiller with the 2.1 and 2.2. I was really going for Pickens-Watson-Spiller as the crux of the trade we made, as I had dreams of Spiller's testing being misleading according to reports and according to other measurements, but that might not be the case, and I might have blown the 2.2 instead of picking Dotson, who was my next choice.

Because I've seen Spiller. He's lumbering at best, it seems. Perhaps he'll shed weight or gain some speed once in the league, because it sure looks like he needs it. And Dotson has been a standout at camp. Oh well, this was back in May and we didn't have the luxury of camp buzz.

But back to Pickens. I can't remember a buzzier player in a long time, actually. Let's hope he lives up to the hype in the regular season. Not looking for miracles, just competence as a third WR in 3WR sets.

Reminds me of Kamara's rookie season.
Not sure I see the comp and would love to hear your take.

I am going to throw out a completely ludicrous and absolutely insane comp that has virtually, but not literally no chance of happening.

Randy Moss. HEAR ME OUT!!!

I don't think Pickens has peak Moss ability because, outside of Rice, he is near the top of the conversation of #2WR if all time.

But Pickens seems to be showing us all something undeniable; he's a legit player in the NFL.

The reason I make the comp is how similar Miss's rookie season situation is to Pickens.

Competitive, but not great team the season before (Minnesota eked into the playoffs at 9-7 and even won a playoff game).

Two accomplished WRs already on the team in Cris Carter (Hof er) and Jake Reed.

Very good running game in Robert Smith.

A QB who everyone had left for dead. Randall Cunningham was coming off a five season run of injury, mediocrity and irrelevance (he was out of the league in 1996).

The principal difference between 1997 Minnesota and 2022 Pittsburgh is Minnesota had a beastly offensive line with Steussie, McDaniel, Christy and Korey Stringer (RIP). Pittsburgh's line should be better in 2022 but that's only because it would be difficult to be worse.

Pittsburgh is not going 16-1, while putting up pinball numbers. But if the reports about Pickens are true and they feel true, this offense is going to be better than a lot of people think, maybe by a wide margin.

From a fantasy point of view, though, wasn't Kamara going like late second or early third for the most part? I wasn't playing dynasty then, but that seems to be the story every time I hear about Kamara.

Pickens has been a tail-end first rounder the whole time.

At the draft...he was the guy I thought GB would regret passing on for Christian Watson. I hope Im wrong...but liked what I have heard about Pickens so far.

I read somewhere the other day where if Green Bay had held onto their second-round picks, they could have drafted both Skyy Moore and Pickens. Now that smarts.
Is this a reference to Skyy Moore standing out right now? Because I haven't see too much, and have been suffering some serious remorse for taking him at 1.9 over Pickens back in July, and could use a pick me up.

Is this a reference to Skyy Moore standing out right now? Because I haven't see too much, and have been suffering some serious remorse for taking him at 1.9 over Pickens back in July, and could use a pick me up.

Well, I took him at 1.09 and Pickens fell to the pick I traded up for at 1.12, so you're not the only one that got this ***-backwards.

Moore has been earning praise in camp, though it hasn't been effusive. It's been good. Mahomes noted that he was open all the time towards the beginning of camp. His first preseason game he went 3 catches on 3 targets for 23 yards including a heck of a nice toe drag to stay in bounds on one. Just a competent performance. The coaches praise his ability to grasp the offense and say he's coming along well.

I don't think Moore is ever going to pull a Van Halen and light up the sky, but he should be a solid performer for a squad. It'll just likely be full bloom next year in the slot after JuJu leaves. That's my personal take on it. I'm not quoting anybody on that -- just using common sense.

From a fantasy point of view, though, wasn't Kamara going like late second or early third for the most part?
Late first in most of my leagues and most of those were FFPC TE premium and this as the ballyhooed class of Engram, Howard and Njoku who were usually first round picks.

Kamara was a big target of mine and I remember one draft I went into with picks 9 and 11 thinking he was mine and he went 6th.

Late first in most of my leagues and most of those were FFPC TE premium and this as the ballyhooed class of Engram, Howard and Njoku who were usually first round picks.

So...essentially, no then. Thanks for putting it kindly. Not a second or third rounder.

From a fantasy point of view, though, wasn't Kamara going like late second or early third for the most part? I wasn't playing dynasty then, but that seems to be the story every time I hear about Kamara.

I was referring more to his talent rising up the depth chart over the course of that season, foreshadowed by flashes in camp and preseason. IIRC, they traded AP after four games to make room for more Kamara opportunities. I'm not predicting a trade of Johnson or Claypool this season, however, I do believe that Pickens will overtake one of them for target share by midseason, and will be a focal point of this offense by the second half of the season. The main question I have is whether the QB/OL are enough to make him more than just a best ball asset at that point.

John Ewing
@johnewing

George Pickens odds to win Offensive Rookie of the Year at @BetMGM
+5000 - Open
+5000 - June 1st
+5000 - July 1st
+5000 - August 1st
+3000 - Last week
+1800 - Monday
+1000 - Tuesday
+850 - Today Pickens is the betting favorite to win the award.

For the "old shcoolers".................
If you do* acqure Pickens, you can promptly name your squad "Pickens and a grinnin' so theres that.

:football: :excited:

John Ewing
@johnewing

George Pickens odds to win Offensive Rookie of the Year at @BetMGM
+5000 - Open
+5000 - June 1st
+5000 - July 1st
+5000 - August 1st
+3000 - Last week
+1800 - Monday
+1000 - Tuesday
+850 - Today Pickens is the betting favorite to win the award.
Still +1200 at Ceasars. Tied with Wilson, Moore and Olave. Pickett, Hall, London and Burks all favored ahead of them.

Heard Ray Fittipaldo on the radio this morning predicting that Pickens will lead Steeler receivers in yardage. He says DJ will lead in receptions and TDs, but Pickens will be "close" on the TDs. Says Claypoole is now "clearly the #3".

I got him for $1 in a keeper league auction a week before the season. Sixteen team league also. He wasn't super hyped like this.

Claypool being the 3rd WR...man that's value, especially if he's facing the 3rd best CB/S each weekend. He's immature but its not like he's also not a physical freak

A QB who everyone had left for dead. Randall Cunningham was coming off a five season run of injury, mediocrity and irrelevance (he was out of the league in 1996).
This isn't quite a good comp considering Cunningham had shown to be a good NFL QB where Mitchy has not to this point. He had shown he could do it before. I am in the camp that Trubisky is better than he is given credit for but no where near the talent of Cunningham (even this stage Cunningham)

This isn't quite a good comp considering Cunningham had shown to be a good NFL QB where Mitchy has not to this point. He had shown he could do it before. I am in the camp that Trubisky is better than he is given credit for but no where near the talent of Cunningham (even this stage Cunningham)
I don't entirely disagree, which means I don't entirely agree either. QB Eagles was one of the most exciting players to watch during his heyday, and he was my favorite player to play as in Tecmo Super Bowl, but let's not look back with glasses too rosy tinted. It was a different time but Cunningham was barely 56% passer on his career, he didn't protect the ball very well either and he had a whopping 10.1% sack rate for his career. He fumbled roughly 8% of the time based off 775 rushes and 484 sacks (I am sure a few happened on non-sack/rushes). If, after 16 years in in the league you fail to learn to give up on a play and throw it out of bounds and/or slide you have some problems.

2018 Trubisky was, at worst, a good QB across the board and in 2020 he was almost as good without the benefit of a great defense. He doesn't run like Randall, few do, but he is very mobile and can extend plays, his career fumble is 8.6% but he seems to have improved in that area after his rookie season and it came down to 7% over his last three seasons (probably started throwing the ball away and/or sliding more).

Look, Trubisky <> Randall but I don't think he is the train wreck most make him out to be.

Look, Trubisky <> Randall but I don't think he is the train wreck most make him out to be.
I said the same. Trubisky has potential and I think he got screwed in Chicago by forcing him to do things he wasn't good at it. However Randall was a much better player.
Removing Trubisky from the equation I think that because of when I started really getting into football I probably overestimate how good of a real world QB a guy like Cunningham was. I often remember hearing about how frustrated Buddy Ryan was with Cunningham's play style. How Cunningham had trouble moving through progressions and would far, far too often break contain after his first read was covered or how he forced the ball to his first read no matter what

I didn't care then because he was so much fun to watch but I can see how his play style would drive a coach to pull his hair out.

I said the same. Trubisky has potential and I think he got screwed in Chicago by forcing him to do things he wasn't good at it. However Randall was a much better player.
Pittsburgh is a great organization and we will see what he's made of.

Just grabbed Pickens at 1.7. Skyy, Williams, Doctson and Watson were still on the board.
fingers crossed 🤞
I also have 1.7 this year. I'm hoping Pickens in the mix for me. So many WRs this year seemingly lumped together.
before 2 weeks ago, I’d imagine Williams wouldve been the lock pick for me (even with a likely season on IR) and maybe Skyy would’ve been considered, but I’ve certainly bought into the hype (and on field performance) of Pickens.

Similar scenario here... had targeted Jameson Williams at 1.7 most of the offseason but he went 1.6 today.

Chose Pickens over Burks and Dotson.

Would be very happy to get Pickens in a dynasty/keeper league, but going to keep expectations pretty modest for redraft purposes. Still a lot of mouths to feed in that offense and I don't expect the offense to be as pass heavy as it was under Big Ben. Especially if Pickett gets thrown in there sooner rather than later.

Claypool being the 3rd WR
Based on preseason usage with starting unit this does not appear to be the case right now. It was always Claypool and Diontae in 2 WR sets and when they went 3 WR's it was usually Claypool moving to the slot with Pickens entering the game. A few times the kept Claypool outside and brought in Gunner Olswesksi and left PIckens out.

Now I will add that I noticed Claypool shaking his hand or wrist like he was in pain after which I never saw him come back into the game with the starters. I have not been able to find any info so guessing it's minor.

Users who are viewing this thread