What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (2 Viewers)

Last edited:
Similar scenario here... had targeted Jameson Williams at 1.7 most of the offseason but he went 1.6 today.

Chose Pickens over Burks and Dotson.
I would be happy with Williams, Pickens, or Olave. I'm just not sure what order yet if I have to choose.

Olave, Pickens, Williams Is where I'm currently at.
Olave went 1.4 in our draft
1.5 in my draft, and Burks at 1.6, so my only tough choice was zagging for Pickens instead of zigging for Williams.

Crazy to like D. Pearce more than Waler?

Crazy to like Pickens over Olave?

Crazy to like Doubs more than A. Pearce?

Kind of a weird preseason where the players with the most draft capital haven't flashed and middle round guys are flashing.

Kind of a weird preseason where the players with the most draft capital haven't flashed and middle round guys are flashing.
I have 1.5 in my draft, and if they are both still there I'm taking Pickens.

It’s gonna be slim Pickens in my draft.

M Thomas already with a hammy issue, so that possibly changes Olave’s role IMO.

Kind of a weird preseason
Now that it's down to 3 games, teams handle the preseason very differently. Some guys are literally not getting the chance to shine as they play only a handful of snaps, if any.

Nothing so far really would make me change my rookie rankings from April, all that much. Maybe Pickens and Pearce move up a bit but nothing too dramatic.

That would be a HUGE mistake imo. Peacre may have the better 2022, but then get replaced next season. Walker is a much superior prospect. Playing the rookie draft like a re-draft, is bad process.
Agreed - I'm not investing too heavily in Pearce for that reason. He may have a good season, but the team may invest heavily in more in a difference maker at the position next year. Kind of like Michael Carter, who showed a lot of promise, but the Jets were enamored with Breece Hall and went out and got him.

ETA: Walker has more a pedigree/draft capital to prop up his value going forward.

in redraft I've been loading up on rookie WRs in the back half of mocks; rn my PPR ranking is:
  1. London
  2. Olave
  3. Pickens
  4. Skyy Moore
  5. Jaylen Tolbert
  6. Alec Pierce
  7. Burks
  8. Wan'Dale Robinson
I'm avoiding Doston, Doubs/Watson, Wilson, & Jameson Williams

in redraft I've been loading up on rookie WRs in the back half of mocks; rn my PPR ranking is:
  1. London
  2. Olave
  3. Pickens
  4. Skyy Moore
  5. Jaylen Tolbert
  6. Alec Pierce
  7. Burks
  8. Wan'Dale Robinson
I'm avoiding Doston, Doubs/Watson, Wilson, & Jameson Williams
Dotson will be no lower than 4th on that list in redrafts

He fell to the mid 2nd in my rookie draft back in the spring and I traded a player for that pick due to his potential. So far so good.

Bro.
@bepryor
Diontae Johnson on his practice participation today:
"I tried to do everything I could, what my arm will allow me to do. I'm doing everything I can literally to try to get back to the guys this Sunday. I'm taking it one day at a time. We gonna see where it goes."
9/7/22, 1:58 PM

Heard Ray Fittipaldo on the radio this morning predicting that Pickens will lead Steeler receivers in yardage. He says DJ will lead in receptions and TDs, but Pickens will be "close" on the TDs. Says Claypoole is now "clearly the #3".

Time to bump these two underrated posts from upthread, now that I have this beast parked across my rosters. :)

The following passage, in particular, caught my eye from Faust's Aug 30 article linked above - Pickens immediately became a must draft for me, even if slightly ahead of his still way too low ADP...
Pickens does make impressive plays, and the Steelers are cool with that. But there isn’t a team in the league that has reliably, consistently gotten more out of young receivers than the Steelers. If there’s a formula, they have it. Pickens has supplanted Claypool as the starting outside receiver opposite Johnson—Claypool took 80 percent of his snaps last season along the outside, but this preseason, has taken 14 snaps in the slot to only two outside reps. [Pickens is] scoring back-pylon touchdowns on one play and springing runs with downfield blocking on the next. Pickens headlined the 2022 NFL preseason, and the regular season fast approaches. Then, that which the Steelers already know and are desperately trying to keep quiet will become evident to everyone league-wide: It just looks a little different when George Pickens plays football.
:towelwave:#EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire #ChooMutherTrukinChoo :towelwave:

Tempting. Really want to roster this guy in redraft but it's very difficult to get over the QBs and O-line.

Another option is Doubs in Green Bay. Both Lazard & Watson are limited.

Dez Bryant was on fantasy radio yesterday, and they asked him which rookie reminded him of himself.

He said Pickens… as a guy who can “go up and say that’s mine… and snatch the ball”

Last edited:
This is my entry in the thread:

My Guys I Didn't Get Anywhere
👿

Sorry to hear that. You were the first to raise my radar about Pickens - pre-NFL draft and pre-Devante in the Raider thread, when we were discussing WR prospects that we were hoping the Raiders would land. I think you mentioned him snatching balls with his hands if I recall. I love WRs who are natural, instinctive hands-catchers and Pickens most certainly applies. Great call.

I am wrong more than not, but I just get a feeling with Pickens... If I were in anything other than two short bench redrafts, I would be 110% in.
Putting my money where my mouth is. I joined a keeper league and am now officially IN on Pickens! Just to be sure, I reached a bit early and left on the board the usual suspects: Renfrow, Elijah Moore, Melvin, Aiyuk, Rhamondre, Chase Edmonds, DeVonta Smith, Christian Kirk, Claypool, Drake London, etc.

Last edited:
Tempting. Really want to roster this guy in redraft but it's very difficult to get over the QBs and O-line.

Another option is Doubs in Green Bay. Both Lazard & Watson are limited.
Dude what the hell are you waiting for? This guy is second in rookie of the year odds.

George Pickens caught 1-of-3 targets for three yards in the Steelers' Week 1 win over the Bengals.

Pickens' best play of the day was when he drew a defensive pass interference penalty in the end zone. Other than that, Pickens recorded only three yards on three targets. It's a disappointing debut for the much-hyped rookie, but Pickens will remain in the dart throw mix against the Patriots in Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I guess the good news is he's my WR6 and bye weeks are a ways off.

Not a lot of encouraging news form a debut of 1 catch for 3 targets. But just looking over alignment, he was on the field & playing on the boundary often. Long term, especially if they switch to Pickett at some point, at 6'3" 220 he profiles as a X. The rookie QB has good deep ball accuracy and might unlock him.

Week 1 Snaps/targets/alignment:

Claypool 58 plays, 6 targets, 50 Slot 5 Outside 3 Tight, 37 routes run, ADOT 7.0
Johnson 51 plays, 12 targets, 48 Outside 3 Slot, 40 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 45 plays, 3 targets, 41 Outside 3 Slot 1 Tight, 35 routes run, ADOT 14.0

Claypool 58 plays, 6 targets, 50 Slot 5 Outside 3 Tight, 37 routes run, ADOT 7.0
Johnson 51 plays, 12 targets, 48 Outside 3 Slot, 40 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 45 plays, 3 targets, 41 Outside 3 Slot 1 Tight, 35 routes run, ADOT 14.0

Big plays incoming with that ADOT.

Big days may require Johnson or Claypool to miss time - also (probably) incoming.

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora
Mitch Trubisky said last week his goal was to get George Pickens more involved in the offense.

Pickens had one catch for 23 yards on three targets today.

After today's loss, Trubisky says his goal is to get Pickens more involved. We'll see...

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora

That's not putting direct blame on Mitch. Pickens lack of involvement is a lack of a lot of things. But if we're gong to publicly talk about it, then it needs to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread