What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

I guess the good news is he's my WR6 and bye weeks are a ways off.

Not a lot of encouraging news form a debut of 1 catch for 3 targets. But just looking over alignment, he was on the field & playing on the boundary often. Long term, especially if they switch to Pickett at some point, at 6'3" 220 he profiles as a X. The rookie QB has good deep ball accuracy and might unlock him.

Week 1 Snaps/targets/alignment:

Claypool 58 plays, 6 targets, 50 Slot 5 Outside 3 Tight, 37 routes run, ADOT 7.0
Johnson 51 plays, 12 targets, 48 Outside 3 Slot, 40 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 45 plays, 3 targets, 41 Outside 3 Slot 1 Tight, 35 routes run, ADOT 14.0

1-23-0 isn't exactly building toward something but it is two more points than Week 1. lol But seriously he is on the field, he is lining up on the boundary, and when the targets come he should lead the team in ADOT / YPC - just a question how much volume we see in 2022.

Week 2 Snaps/targets/alignment:

Claypool 54 plays, 6 targets, 44 Slot 8 Outside 2 Tight, 42 routes run, ADOT 5.4
Johnson 51 plays, 10 targets, 41 Outside 10 Slot 0 Tight, 38 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 51 plays, 3 targets, 43 Outside 7 Slot 0 Tight, 39 routes run, ADOT 28.3

I guess the good news is he's my WR6 and bye weeks are a ways off.

Not a lot of encouraging news form a debut of 1 catch for 3 targets. But just looking over alignment, he was on the field & playing on the boundary often. Long term, especially if they switch to Pickett at some point, at 6'3" 220 he profiles as a X. The rookie QB has good deep ball accuracy and might unlock him.

Week 1 Snaps/targets/alignment:

Claypool 58 plays, 6 targets, 50 Slot 5 Outside 3 Tight, 37 routes run, ADOT 7.0
Johnson 51 plays, 12 targets, 48 Outside 3 Slot, 40 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 45 plays, 3 targets, 41 Outside 3 Slot 1 Tight, 35 routes run, ADOT 14.0

1-23-0 isn't exactly building toward something but it is two more points than Week 1. lol But seriously he is on the field, he is lining up on the boundary, and when the targets come he should lead the team in ADOT / YPC - just a question how much volume we see in 2022.

Week 2 Snaps/targets/alignment:

Claypool 54 plays, 6 targets, 44 Slot 8 Outside 2 Tight, 42 routes run, ADOT 5.4
Johnson 51 plays, 10 targets, 41 Outside 10 Slot 0 Tight, 38 routes run, ADOT 9.9
Pickens 51 plays, 3 targets, 43 Outside 7 Slot 0 Tight, 39 routes run, ADOT 28.3

I don’t understand this for Claypool. His “big”’year he was a deep threat- outside WR. Not sure I understand why they have him in the slot the majority of the time.

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes George Pickens has been "nothing more than a decoy on one of the worst passing teams in the NFL through two weeks."​

Kaboly notes that Pickens has run 62 routes with vertical releases out of 74 total routes, and says that for all but a handful of those routes he's faced single coverage with no safety help. Pickens noted after Week 2's game against the Patriots that he was "always open" -- something that is pretty normal to hear from a wideout -- but it seems like the Steelers haven't exactly committed to getting him the ball so far. Embattled OC Matt Canada's offense is already performing poorly enough to draw heat from the local press as Pittsburgh enters Week 3. Getting Pickens more involved could help.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 22, 2022, 1:22 PM ET

Mitch has the worst deep ball in history. If Pickens needs that, it's definitely not happening. What's his route tree look like?

Mitch has the worst deep ball in history. If Pickens needs that, it's definitely not happening. What's his route tree look like?

I listed the average depth of target for their three WRs upthread. Seems like they just send him on 7, 8 & 9s to clear out space for the utilized receivers.

I listed the average depth of target for their three WRs upthread. Seems like they just send him on 7, 8 & 9s to clear out space for the utilized receivers.
That's just a shame. Mitch won't last much longer anyway. People will get tired of his incompetence quickly.

That's just a shame. Mitch won't last much longer anyway. People will get tired of his incompetence quickly.

double Dawg dare you to start Pickens tonight

He's currently my #6/7. I'd love for him to crack my lineup by the end of the year

George Pickens caught 3-of-7 targets for 39 yards in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the Browns.​

That unimpressive statline is actually easily Pickens' best of the season. It also belies an effort that quite literally featured one of the greatest catches in NFL history. With Martin Emerson Jr. draped all over him down the right sideline late in the first quarter, Pickens: 1. Laid out almost fully horizontal. 2. Managed to hold the pose in mid-air. 3. Made a fully-extended one-handed grab near the sideline. It was awe inspiring, and a reminder of why Pickens generated so much hype this summer and during the pre-draft process. Now he just needs a quarterback willing to pull the trigger on some down-field targets. That's not Mitchell Trubisky. Even if Kenny Pickett is called upon for Week 4 against the Jets, Pickens will not be a reliable WR4.
Sep 22, 2022, 11:53 PM ET

Oh its on now!

George Pickens caught 3-of-6 targets for 27 yards in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Bucs.

The Steelers won their first game since Week 1, but it was not because of the passing game. Pickens has nevertheless managed to draw six targets in four straight contests. Hardly elite volume, but enough to entrench him as a WR4 and provide WR3 upside because of his big-play chops. He is out-producing Diontae Johnson over the past month. Pittsburgh is headed to Miami for Week 7.

- NBCSportsEDGE

George Pickens caught 6-of-6 targets for 61 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 7 loss to the Dolphins.​

The ridiculous catches are beginning to become a trend for Pickens, who caught a back shoulder fade against man coverage through a twirling grab in the corner of the end zone at the end of the second quarter to bring the Steelers within three points of the Dolphins. The touchdown grab would prove to be the final points scored for the Steelers, who struggled through inefficiency and turnovers through a scoreless second half. Even on modest volume, Pickens is quickly emerging as a weekly WR2 candidate, which will be put to the test as the Steelers travel to Philadelphia in Week 8.
Oct 24, 2022, 12:30 AM ET

Claypool was the primary slot guy (335 to 92 for Johnson and 76 for Pickens.) Pretty big step down to Miles Boykin or Steve Sims.

Doesn’t affect the rookie’s role, he’s been on the outside most of the time and has the longest ADoT. But Boykin/Sims have to be easier to account for than Claypool. Not great news other than maybe a slight uptick in utilization.

Good news is that it's bye week so hopefully we see the rewards reaped immediately. Then again everyone seems to hate PITT OC lol

Summed above. Much easier schedule ROS + 18% of targets just opened up for competition between Pickens, an already target-heavy Johnson, and a bunch of nobodies.

15 Dec 18 @Car
16 Dec 24 LV
17 Jan 1 @bal

#LetsGo

Users who are viewing this thread