What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Fantasy Football Six Pack: JuJu Smith-Schuster has joined some elite company

Excerpt:

15.0 – George Pickens has an average depth of target of 15.0 yards entering the season's second half and Chase Claypool'sold workload (6.3 targets per game) suddenly needs to be redistributed. Pittsburgh's offense has been a complete embarrassment, of course, so we're not promising a WR1-ish finish for Pickens. But any potential uptick in his touches qualifies as an actionable fantasy event because that guy is a silly talent, capable of cartoonishly difficult catches.

Traded away Kittle for a mid 2nd in the rookie draft with Pickens still sitting there. Something finally worked out in my favor, it appears.

George Pickens caught 3-of-4 targets for 32 yards in the Steelers' Week 10 win against the Saints, adding two rushes for 23 yards a touchdown.​

Pickens, talked up by head coach Mike Tomlin as a receiver who should see more involvement during the season's second half, was third on the team in targets against New Orleans. There was a concerted effort to get Pickens more involved, evidenced by his two carries -- one from the goal line on a tricky play drawn up by offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Kenny Pickett's glaring shortcomings as a passer are going to hold back every pass catcher in the Pittsburgh offense, though Pickens should have some downfield opportunities if Pickett is willing to take those shots. Against the Saints, he was not. Pickens will be a WR3 in Week 11 against the Bengals.
Nov 13, 2022, 3:59 PM ET

Pickens already has moments where he looks like a man against boys in the nfl. He has a really high ceiling. Im fine with the hit and the shoving match even if it was uncalled for. It was a little bit of an over reaction by the refs to kick him out of the game unless I missed another unsportsmanlike penalty earlier. He’s no where near Antonio brown level nuts so I believe tomlin will coach him up with ease. Wish I had him in every dynasty.

Pickens already has moments where he looks like a man against boys in the nfl. He has a really high ceiling. Im fine with the hit and the shoving match even if it was uncalled for. It was a little bit of an over reaction by the refs to kick him out of the game unless I missed another unsportsmanlike penalty earlier. He’s no where near Antonio brown level nuts so I believe tomlin will coach him up with ease. Wish I had him in every dynasty.

He had issues at Georgia too with "anger issues" resulting in suspension.

Issues or one isolated issue?

I found a quick two on YouTube.

Ejected against Georgia Tech in 2020 -- looks like the refs caught the second man, though. The GT cornerback definitely jacked Pickens in the facemask first. All that said, Pickens did escalate.

Unsportsmanlike Penalty against Tennessee in 2020 -- for squirting water at Tennessee QB going out of bounds on the UGa sideline. This was a punk move, no question. Small time, but still punk.

He also dropped a gimme 49 yd TD on their last possession, woulda/coulda/shoulda been a 5/132/2 game.

Pickett dropped a dime on that one, hit him in stride, he was pulling away from both defenders. Pickens just duck handed it.

ETA video
This was the most disappointing thing I’ve seen from Pickens all year. That being said… the guy has darn good hands and I’m not worried at all.

He definitely wasn’t/isn’t the most mature guy of this draft class. If he was we wouldn’t have been able to draft him as late as he went though. Seems to be good value to me.

2022 NFL season, Week 12: What We Learned from Steelers' win over Colts on Monday

Excerpts:

he Steelers have their connection of the future. Pickett and George Pickens are going to rack up a whole lot of yards in Pittsburgh in the years ahead. Monday night stands as proof of their potential, which finished at just three completions for 57 yards, but it was so much more than that. Pickett's 35-yard pass to Pickens in the first half required the rookie receiver's latest highlight-reel grab, and also set up the Steelers for their first touchdown of the night. The most important connection won't make the highlight reel, but helped the Steelers score their decisive fourth-quarter touchdown, thanks to a third-and-9 completion in which Pickett slid left to avoid pressure, flipped his hips forward and threw a perfectly placed pass to Pickett, who made an excellent diving grab to pick up 13 yards and a fresh set of downs. Eight plays later, Benny Snell scored from 2 yards out to give Pittsburgh a 24-17 lead, made official only after -- you guessed it -- Pickett scrambled and found Pickens in the corner of the end zone for the two-point conversion. The volume will increase in the future, but it's already obvious these two have a special connection.

Next Gen stat of the game: George Pickens' 35-yard reception in the second quarter had a completion probability of just 23.9%, the third-least likely completion for the Steelers this season. Pickens owns two of the Steelers' top three least likely receptions in 2022.

Tomlin is my favorite coach in the NFL. He doesn't care what anyone thinks and for the most part performs. The turnaround this season has been impressive. Pickens is looking like this team's future #1 and it's great he'll be able to develop with Pickett, I love the fire from both.

there is plenty of in between with the steelers offense currently. And they play the Ravens, so there is even more, considering AB, on his best days, with Ben, didnt throw up huge numbers vs Ravens, its just not how the games play out with those 2 teams. He might get 5 for 60, maybe a TD. This whole thing was blown out of proportion anyway.

Arjun Menon
@arjunmenon100
Best and worst receivers at getting open vs single man coverage this season (min 80 snaps vs single man coverage)

>>> LINK to chart

Interesting list to say the least. Giving Gallup and Gabe Davis mulligans based on health issues last year, but this list is a good counter-narrative for rookies who got fair amounts of hype last year in Pierce, Pickens and Doubs.

Also appreciating the surprising top performers in this category, particularly Garrett Wilson and to a lesser degree Pittman and Lockett; also Goodwin, in the event that DK or Lockett miss any time in 2023. I'd say the same for Diontae, except for his stone hands and body. Too bad Pickens and Johnson can't combine their relative strengths.

Arjun Menon
@arjunmenon100
Best and worst receivers at getting open vs single man coverage this season (min 80 snaps vs single man coverage)

>>> LINK to chart

Interesting list to say the least. Giving Gallup and Gabe Davis mulligans based on health issues last year, but this list is a good counter-narrative for rookies who got fair amounts of hype last year in Pierce, Pickens and Doubs.

Also appreciating the surprising top performers in this category, particularly Garrett Wilson and to a lesser degree Pittman and Lockett; also Goodwin, in the event that DK or Lockett miss any time in 2023. I'd say the same for Diontae, except for his stone hands and body. Too bad Pickens and Johnson can't combine their relative strengths.
Goodwin is no longer in Seattle, he's in Cleveland now.

This is more evidence that Diontae is probably a good buy low right now. It was already really fluky that he had 0 TDs after averaging around 7 per year from 2019-2021.

Frisman Jackson sighting! There's a blast from the past. I remember him being a hot waiver wire add 20 years ago. lol.
I think he had a 3-4 TD game one Week 1 - and then maybe scored 1 more TD the rest of the season.
I thought as well, but it is worse: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackFr01/gamelog/

Frisman Jackson sighting! There's a blast from the past. I remember him being a hot waiver wire add 20 years ago. lol.
I think he had a 3-4 TD game one Week 1 - and then maybe scored 1 more TD the rest of the season.
I thought as well, but it is worse: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackFr01/gamelog/
8 for 128 1 TD though. I was in! Had a cool name too.

Hopefully for the Steelers WR's it's true what they say; those who can't do, teach.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
George Pickens is reportedly thought to have a very “similar game” to DeAndre Hopkins according to Patrick Peterson (Steelers CB).Kenny Pickett even said he sees a Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown “like connection” possible between him and Pickens.Pickens said his goal for next season is to make it “over” 1,000 yards receiving.The Steelers didn’t have a single WR over 1,000 yards last season.The Steelers sophomore WR has HIGH hopes for year two

oh this stuff is killing me. As an owner in dynasty leagues I hope he has a breakout. he's super talented I just worry the Steelers won't give him a chance to do much.
He's in the 'what-if' group including Calvin Ridley, T. Burks, Jahan Dotson, etc. I hate that tier of WRs! means 'time to draft another RB'

Also needs route running and separation, but yes… I am a Pickens believer. Steelers are good talent evaluators at the WR position.

Users who are viewing this thread