What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR John Ross, KC (1 Viewer)

BoltBacker said:
Well of course his health was a concerns coming out of college were real, I coulda told ya that when I was in the womb I tell ya! He had more than 500 yards in a season once in his time at the University of Washington. But if you dig deep, and ya I mean deep, into the beta max tapes of his junior high stuff(when he was healthy of course) you'll see gold! Pure gold, Jerry!
He didn't miss that many college games: played in 13, 13 and 14. He missed his whole junior year after re-injuring his meniscus. That knee has continually given him problems. Maybe the last surgery finally fixed it? Maybe not. Also, it makes perfect sense that his production seemed low. Washington moved him to CB in 2014. He learned a new position.  So as a sophomore at age 19 he played CB, had 400 yards and 7 TDs from scrimmage, had 2 kick return TDs and led the NCAA in kick return yards. Now fully moved to offense, he loses a year with a knee injury. Comes back as a senior with 1200 and 9 from scrimmage and another KR TD. 

Last year we saw the hurt version of Ross, but still think we could see healthy big play John Ross in the NFL at some point. 

Last year we saw the hurt version of Ross, but still think we could see healthy big play John Ross in the NFL at some point. 
I absolutely agree.

Last year we saw the hurt version of Ross. But in his entire college career at the U. of Washington we only saw him play well as a WR one year. 

Either way, any notion that he's much more talented and will have a much more productive career that Torrey Smith seems entirely speculative to me, even if someone uses and the asterisk "if healthy" to ignore his health problems in the past. This is what Mayock said before the draft, "There are some teams that have pushed him either down their boards or off their boards because of injuries. He's had surgery on his shoulder, he's had surgery on both knees, and he's got a small frame. So the durability is a big issue with him right now." I believe this was written while Ross was unable to stay healthy through the pre-draft process after the only truly healthy season in college football. While I don't subscribe to the idea that all small guys are going to get injured in the NFL I will say that if you are a small guy that can't stay healthy in college football I have a hard time believing you're body will hold up better being battered by bigger, faster, and better players in the NFL.

Houshmandzadeh, an 11-year NFL vet who spent the bulk of his career in Cincinnati. Specifically, Houshmandzadeh wants to iron out Ross' route-running while improving his footwork. "You get to this level, everybody can run," he said. "Your technique and ability to separate has to come to the forefront because you can’t beat everybody with speed."

(snip)

Did y'all read the full story? See the video? It's short like it's a TV news piece.

I love this. Ross was just working out like exercising with some athletes. He called Housh and asked for help.

Imagine you're Ross. Ya gotta be confident in that speed. If everyone says ya can't do XYZ after being a first rounder, ya gotta develop some brick wall mentality ignoring them and believing in yourself. New millionaire, ya gotta be pretty confident too. 

There was an ego drop of sorts. Ross had told Housh he was too busy the day before then calls wanting his help. It's wonderful. Housh was a pro's pro too. I have no doubt he can show him how it's done. Now it's going to be about Ross listening and applying what he learned.

Housh didn't hold back. The praise was that Ross could be uncoverable or unstoppable but the critiques were plenty. It had to sting for Ross. (and all of you claiming these overly positive things) Now they got stuff to work on and a plan of what needs to be fixed. 

The Bengals need to consider excusing Ross from some stuff and/or inviting Housh to the practice field. It's kind of late. Housh needs more than two weeks and five workouts in two weeks. The Bengals gotta figure out a reasonable way for this tutelage to be given more time before TC. 

Housh's main issues were horrible routes, how to use his speed, and working in space. (Much of which I mentioned earlier) 

Someone earlier- yes he didn't come out and say horrible routes but when you discuss the speed, planting the foot, the cut, and how you catch- what else is there? He literally complained about everything Ross does on a route. 

Don't be hypersensitive, this is sports. Break him down, fix him, and build him back up.

I absolutely agree.

Last year we saw the hurt version of Ross. But in his entire college career at the U. of Washington we only saw him play well as a WR one year. 
Because his 2nd year of college he spent partially playing DB but he showed playmaking ability. A 19 year old scoring 7 TDs in the Pac 12 is an impressive season. He lost his 3rd year to injury and then had a big 4th year. When he was given the opportunities, he played very well. 

Either way, any notion that he's much more talented and will have a much more productive career that Torrey Smith seems entirely speculative to me, even if someone uses and the asterisk "if healthy" to ignore his health problems in the past. This is what Mayock said before the draft, "There are some teams that have pushed him either down their boards or off their boards because of injuries. He's had surgery on his shoulder, he's had surgery on both knees, and he's got a small frame. So the durability is a big issue with him right now." I believe this was written while Ross was unable to stay healthy through the pre-draft process after the only truly healthy season in college football. While I don't subscribe to the idea that all small guys are going to get injured in the NFL I will say that if you are a small guy that can't stay healthy in college football I have a hard time believing you're body will hold up better being battered by bigger, faster, and better players in the NFL.
Outside of Michael Thomas, it's also speculative to say any WR taken from 2015-18 will have a more productive career than Torrey Smith. 

Also, Ross has had those injuries but you are wrong saying 2016 was his only healthy year of football. He played in 13 games in 2013 and 2014. 

I agree he is likely to have a shorter career and one plagued by injuries. I just think there is a strong chance he has a healthy season or 2 and those seasons could be pretty big. 

Also, Ross has had those injuries but you are wrong saying 2016 was his only healthy year of football. He played in 13 games in 2013 and 2014. 
Yeah, I know he played 13 games in 2013(16 catches for 201 yards) and 13 games in 2014(17 catches for 371 yards) but I'm not sure if playing in games is the same thing as staying healthy. For instance I've read that he tore the meniscus in his right knee in the 3rd game of the season in 2014. On one hand that goes toward explaining the anemic production that year, but it's still a guy getting injured. I certainly wouldn't call that a healthy year. He has been quoted as saying the injury to his right knee in 2014 contributed to tearing the ACL and meniscus in his left knee in 2015 because he didn't fully trust his right knee. 

By my count Ross had one healthy and productive year as a WR at the University of Washington. We can disagree if you don't see it the same way. And if you really want to split hairs after that 2016 season he had labrum surgery so was that season even REALLY healthy season?

Just as a recap:

2017 a few healthy scratches were the highlight of his season

2016 had a great year, but had to have labrum surgery after the season

2015 blew out his left knee, missed the entire year

2014 had a significant injury to his right knee that required surgery after the season but played through the pain for 17 catches/371 yards

2013 appears to have been healthy, 16 catches/201 yards

The last time Ross was truly healthy for a football season was back when Peyton Manning was passing for 5000+ yards. That seems like awhile ago to me. I'm not rooting against the guy but it's certainly worth noting that the reason most people even know about him is because of his 40 yard dash at the combine breaking Chris Johnson's record. And even then...... he pulled a calf muscle. 

OK, so maybe it's speculative to say any WR taken from 2015-2018 will have a more productive career than Torrey Smith(other than Michael Thomas). But I would say that Ross is much less likely to do it than guys like Amari Cooper, Stefan Diggs, and Sterling Sheppard. There's speculative and then there's SPECULATIVE.

Yeah, I know he played 13 games in 2013(16 catches for 201 yards) and 13 games in 2014(17 catches for 371 yards) but I'm not sure if playing in games is the same thing as staying healthy. For instance I've read that he tore the meniscus in his right knee in the 3rd game of the season in 2014. On one hand that goes toward explaining the anemic production that year, but it's still a guy getting injured. I certainly wouldn't call that a healthy year. He has been quoted as saying the injury to his right knee in 2014 contributed to tearing the ACL and meniscus in his left knee in 2015 because he didn't fully trust his right knee. 

By my count Ross had one healthy and productive year as a WR at the University of Washington. We can disagree if you don't see it the same way. And if you really want to split hairs after that 2016 season he had labrum surgery so was that season even REALLY healthy season?

Just as a recap:

2017 a few healthy scratches were the highlight of his season

2016 had a great year, but had to have labrum surgery after the season

2015 blew out his left knee, missed the entire year

2014 had a significant injury to his right knee that required surgery after the season but played through the pain for 17 catches/371 yards

2013 appears to have been healthy, 16 catches/201 yards

The last time Ross was truly healthy for a football season was back when Peyton Manning was passing for 5000+ yards. That seems like awhile ago to me. I'm not rooting against the guy but it's certainly worth noting that the reason most people even know about him is because of his 40 yard dash at the combine breaking Chris Johnson's record. And even then...... he pulled a calf muscle. 

OK, so maybe it's speculative to say any WR taken from 2015-2018 will have a more productive career than Torrey Smith(other than Michael Thomas). But I would say that Ross is much less likely to do it than guys like Amari Cooper, Stefan Diggs, and Sterling Sheppard. There's speculative and then there's SPECULATIVE.
A) His 2013 season he was an 18 year old true freshman. Even getting on the field at that point is an accomplishment few WRs do. 

B) in 2014 he was also playing DB as well. He started 3 games at corner.I know you like to quote the same 17 receptions number over and over but that leaves out the Int and 7 total TDS. If you think a 19 year old true sophomore playing CB, WR and KR (led the nation in return yards) is an anemic season, you are crazy. 

I get there are all those injuries and it’s good reason to be skeptical of Ross but don’t try to bag on his play on college. How many players have recorded a KR TD, rushing TD, receiving TD and interception in the same year?

I get there are all those injuries and it’s good reason to be skeptical of Ross but don’t try to bag on his play on college. How many players have recorded a KR TD, rushing TD, receiving TD and interception in the same year?
And I get he played some DB in college, I guess I just don't put nearly as much weight in his interception returns for TD's in college as an indicator that he'll have success as a WR in the NFL. Yeah, I do focus mostly on his catches and yards and receiving TD's. 

And I get he played some DB in college, I guess I just don't put nearly as much weight in his interception returns for TD's in college as an indicator that he'll have success as a WR in the NFL. Yeah, I do focus mostly on his catches and yards and receiving TD's. 
I am not saying him playing DB means he will make a good receiver. I am justifying why his reception totals were low. He wasn't getting a lot of receptions that year because he spent the off season converting to CB and played a lot at CB during the year. Also, I do think kick return skills are a plus for a player. It just helps show an extra level of athleticism. 

What is more impressive is what he was doing for his age. If we are going to say 600 yards and 6 TDs from scrimmage by age 19 is a negative for Ross, then what do we make of a player like Ridley that by the age of 20 had 0 yards? Ridley never touched the college field before the age of 20. Michael Thomas had 3 receptions by the time he was 20. My reason for liking what Ross can do is that he was able to go from 18 years old, right out of high school and compete with 20-21-22 year olds in a power football conference. That is a really positive sign because in football years, the difference between 18 and 20 is massive. 

I am not saying him playing DB means he will make a good receiver. I am justifying why his reception totals were low. He wasn't getting a lot of receptions that year because he spent the off season converting to CB and played a lot at CB during the year. Also, I do think kick return skills are a plus for a player. It just helps show an extra level of athleticism. 

What is more impressive is what he was doing for his age. If we are going to say 600 yards and 6 TDs from scrimmage by age 19 is a negative for Ross, then what do we make of a player like Ridley that by the age of 20 had 0 yards? Ridley never touched the college field before the age of 20. Michael Thomas had 3 receptions by the time he was 20. My reason for liking what Ross can do is that he was able to go from 18 years old, right out of high school and compete with 20-21-22 year olds in a power football conference. That is a really positive sign because in football years, the difference between 18 and 20 is massive. 
Some good insight here. While the injurys are alarming, I at least know the kid has the fire- he concealed an injury so he could get on the field last year. Maybe not the best move but at least I know he wants to be there. He’s working to get better. There’s at least a little hope. I’ll write off an unfortunate rookie year, and I’ll be tentatively excited if he gets through the summer healthy and can build some rapport with dalton/the team. 

Well, he’s fully healthy now and participating in offseason training so let’s see what this kid can do in the NFL in 2018.  I do have skin in the game with him in my Dyno league and hoping he can become what I envisioned.  I think he can be better than tyreek hill.  

Well, he’s fully healthy now and participating in offseason training so let’s see what this kid can do in the NFL in 2018.  I do have skin in the game with him in my Dyno league and hoping he can become what I envisioned.  I think he can be better than tyreek hill.  
At this point I'd be happy if he was half of Reek.

Andy Dalton - QB - Cincinnati Bengals

Posted 4/12/18 7:37pm ET 

Cincinnati Bengals QB Andy Dalton is looking forward to the new playbook that is being prepared by offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, who has spent this offseason revamping the old one after joining the club early on last season. 'The sense I'm getting is there is going to be a lot of change and a lot of learning, which is a good thing,' Dalton said. 'I think it's good to challenge yourself and kind of refresh yourself on what you're doing. When you're hearing the same thing for seven straight years, it can be mundane and you already know it. Now it's new and fresh.'

I am not sure how Torrey Smith was brought into this, but I actually found this interesting:

Torrey Smith career totals after 3 seasons: 2824 and 19

Amari Cooper career totals after 3 seasons: 2903 and 18

I'm an unabashed optimist about all things Bengals, so take this with a major grain of salt...John Ross is generating a lot of buzz. The Bengals liked him enough to take him 9th overall and it sounds like he's basically meeting those type of lofty expectations so far at camp. He's finally healthy, has his confidence back, and even put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle.

Obviously still a lot of obstacles to making any real fantasy impact. AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and the running backs are going to get a lot of targets. Tyler Boyd is going to get some in the slot. There might not be enough volume for Ross to be anything better than a fantasy WR5 or so. But he is still going off the board in best ball drafts in the WR7 or WR8 range, so he's a nice value right now. And very much worth keeping an eye on in the preseason because there's still a chance he ends up being a very good player. 

I'm an unabashed optimist about all things Bengals, so take this with a major grain of salt...John Ross is generating a lot of buzz. The Bengals liked him enough to take him 9th overall and it sounds like he's basically meeting those type of lofty expectations so far at camp. He's finally healthy, has his confidence back, and even put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle.

Obviously still a lot of obstacles to making any real fantasy impact. AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, and the running backs are going to get a lot of targets. Tyler Boyd is going to get some in the slot. There might not be enough volume for Ross to be anything better than a fantasy WR5 or so. But he is still going off the board in best ball drafts in the WR7 or WR8 range, so he's a nice value right now. And very much worth keeping an eye on in the preseason because there's still a chance he ends up being a very good player. 
I've heard Tyler Boyd is pushing for Lafell's starting spot, and Lafell maybe is on the bubble. Might be something to also watch.

Been hearing great things about Ross. Liked him coming out of college. 

I've heard Tyler Boyd is pushing for Lafell's starting spot, and Lafell maybe is on the bubble. Might be something to also watch.

Been hearing great things about Ross. Liked him coming out of college. 
Oh yeah?  I have been taking him super late in every Best Ball. I really liked him at college as well- no reason he can't be a Desean Jackson if he is healthy. 

I’ve also been following Ross very closely since his sr year in college.  There are 3 young WRs rt now I’m the league that I think have Antonio brown type talent: Ross, Dede Westbrook, and Anthony Miller.  

Relax, I’m not saying they are going to have the same careers as brown.  Lol.  I’m just saying. I see shades of brown in all 3 of them. The cream rises to the top eventually.  Right now Ross is simply making DBs look SILLY in practices.  He’s been on fire since OTAs.  Coaches are noticing.  Fans are “oooh’ing” and “aaahhh’ing” withevery highlight reel play he makes in camp.  There are very good vibes surrounding him.  

Make no mistake, Bengals brass wants to show the world that they were right to draft him at #9 last year.  He will get his shot to be the #2 across from green.  And then I think he has will fuller upside.  

So for a dude who had an unavoidable fumble on his only touch, Ross seems to get an outrageous amount of hate.

I'm buying low atm, dude has nowhere to go but up.

Run It Up said:
So for a dude who had an unavoidable fumble on his only touch, Ross seems to get an outrageous amount of hate.

I'm buying low atm, dude has nowhere to go but up.
Considering his stat line was 0 targets, 0 receptions, 0 receiving yards, 1 carry, 12 yards, 1 fumble lost and 0 TDs....I would agree there is nowhere but up. I'd say if he never even touches the ball this year, it would be an improvement from last season. 

And just like that Lafell is gone.
Pretty much him and Boyd make up the relevant WRs now after AJ Green.  Ross almost assured a starting spot as the #2 WR on the outside.  Boyd in the slot.  I will reiterate my thoughts from a few posts above: he has will fuller/tyreek hill (year 1) type  upside this year, and sky is the limit in subsequent seasons.  

Wondering where this puts his dynasty stock. He was a late first in leagues last year, i can't imagine his price has gone up from there. But is he back to that level?  Early second?  

Like Dan Hindery, I am also an "unabashed optimist on all things Bengals" but I gotta pump the brakes a little when it comes to evaluating fantasy potential.

The Bengals are not going to transform into a fantasy points juggernaut overnight and probably never under our current head coach.  I am not slamming Marvin Lewis, but merely pointing out that in his gut he is still a ball control/defensive focused coach.  It bothers him if Andy Dalton puts the ball in the air 40 times in a game... EVEN IF the result was a win.

The Bengals will have a lot of fantasy relevant players this year.  Green Is a perennial contender for fantasy WR1 status and Mixon could surge to RB1 status.  Don't forget Gio Bernard though... there is no reason to suspect he will lose any of his 105 rushes or 60 targets, and lots of reason to think both will increase.  Behind the same line as Mixon last year he had a much better YPC, and no that was not all the product of garbage time or 3rd & long hand offs.  Then you have the possibility of a healthy Eifert and his role as TD magnet, and a 2d round WR entering that magic 3rd year in Tyler Boyd, plus rookie Auden Tate has been making wow catches the routine in camp and Josh Malone has gotten good press as well.

Bottom line, though, is that there are just not enough fantasy points in the Bengals offense to support more than 3-4 legitimate fantasy starters.  Assuming Green & Mixon fill two of those slots, you are left with Bernard's ability to at least maintains his RB27 finish in PPR last year, and a healthy Eifert's ability to finish as a top 8 TE (and even if he is not healthy, Tyler Kroft was still able to be the TE14 last year despite limited playing the first few weeks).  Even if Ross is locked in as the #2 wr, his ceiling has to be that of Marvin Jones' performance in 2015.  (65/816/4)  Like Jones, that ceiling is not just a single season phenomenon.  Someone ahead of him at the chow line has to lose their slot for him to move up, so that puts a damper on long term/dynasty value.

A true Bengals homer, I took John Ross at pick 1.8 last year, but then when I looked at all the relevant factors, I decided to move him after week 2.  In the best and luckiest trade I have ever made in fantasy, I traded Ross plus my 2019 1st (late) for Alvin Kamara (the player picked at 1.7 who I had really wanted.  Maybe I am still trying to justify my decision to give up a Bengal, but I think that as long as AJ, Andy & Marvin Lewis are in Cincy, for the next few years Ross' ceiling is capped at about WR24.

Now, off topic, the fantasy player that is being ignored despite all the great news out of Bengal camp is Andy Dalton.  I have seen him ranked as low as QB24 in redraft.  Wow.  Just Wow.  There is no safer QB2 available, and this year the stars are in line (revamped O-line, 14 one oclock games, surrounded by talent) for him to party likes its 2015 again when he was QB5 for fantasy.

Like Dan Hindery, I am also an "unabashed optimist on all things Bengals" but I gotta pump the brakes a little when it comes to evaluating fantasy potential.

The Bengals are not going to transform into a fantasy points juggernaut overnight and probably never under our current head coach.  I am not slamming Marvin Lewis, but merely pointing out that in his gut he is still a ball control/defensive focused coach.  It bothers him if Andy Dalton puts the ball in the air 40 times in a game... EVEN IF the result was a win.

The Bengals will have a lot of fantasy relevant players this year.  Green Is a perennial contender for fantasy WR1 status and Mixon could surge to RB1 status.  Don't forget Gio Bernard though... there is no reason to suspect he will lose any of his 105 rushes or 60 targets, and lots of reason to think both will increase.  Behind the same line as Mixon last year he had a much better YPC, and no that was not all the product of garbage time or 3rd & long hand offs.  Then you have the possibility of a healthy Eifert and his role as TD magnet, and a 2d round WR entering that magic 3rd year in Tyler Boyd, plus rookie Auden Tate has been making wow catches the routine in camp and Josh Malone has gotten good press as well.

Bottom line, though, is that there are just not enough fantasy points in the Bengals offense to support more than 3-4 legitimate fantasy starters.  Assuming Green & Mixon fill two of those slots, you are left with Bernard's ability to at least maintains his RB27 finish in PPR last year, and a healthy Eifert's ability to finish as a top 8 TE (and even if he is not healthy, Tyler Kroft was still able to be the TE14 last year despite limited playing the first few weeks).  Even if Ross is locked in as the #2 wr, his ceiling has to be that of Marvin Jones' performance in 2015.  (65/816/4)  Like Jones, that ceiling is not just a single season phenomenon.  Someone ahead of him at the chow line has to lose their slot for him to move up, so that puts a damper on long term/dynasty value.

A true Bengals homer, I took John Ross at pick 1.8 last year, but then when I looked at all the relevant factors, I decided to move him after week 2.  In the best and luckiest trade I have ever made in fantasy, I traded Ross plus my 2019 1st (late) for Alvin Kamara (the player picked at 1.7 who I had really wanted.  Maybe I am still trying to justify my decision to give up a Bengal, but I think that as long as AJ, Andy & Marvin Lewis are in Cincy, for the next few years Ross' ceiling is capped at about WR24.

Now, off topic, the fantasy player that is being ignored despite all the great news out of Bengal camp is Andy Dalton.  I have seen him ranked as low as QB24 in redraft.  Wow.  Just Wow.  There is no safer QB2 available, and this year the stars are in line (revamped O-line, 14 one oclock games, surrounded by talent) for him to party likes its 2015 again when he was QB5 for fantasy.
I don't think both of those bolded statements can be correct

Wondering where this puts his dynasty stock. He was a late first in leagues last year, i can't imagine his price has gone up from there. But is he back to that level?  Early second?  
I still don't think it's there yet.  I got him a month ago and it only cost me Eifert and a few bottom roster guys like Patterson.

I don't think I'd be able to sell him now to anyone for an early second.  He's a hold for sure or try to sneak in as a "throw in" type trade.

I don't think both of those bolded statements can be correct
Forgive me, but I was not counting the QB position (Dalton) in my list of 3-4 for discussion of targets/points available.

In 2015 you had Green, Gio, and Eifert as fantasy starters plus Jones if you start 3 wr.

This year, if Dalton has a 2015 year, it will be Green and Mixon to start then Gio, Eifert/kroft for the third position and the 4th will max out with Jones type #s as I said.

Forgive me, but I was not counting the QB position (Dalton) in my list of 3-4 for discussion of targets/points available.

In 2015 you had Green, Gio, and Eifert as fantasy starters plus Jones if you start 3 wr.

This year, if Dalton has a 2015 year, it will be Green and Mixon to start then Gio, Eifert/kroft for the third position and the 4th will max out with Jones type #s as I said.
I think if Dalton has a 2015 year then the volume is certainly there for another option in the passing game. 

Tried to trade him for 2.1 in a 14 teamer and got declined. he offered a late 2nd, and I'd rather keep him in that case. 

Tried to trade him for 2.1 in a 14 teamer and got declined. he offered a late 2nd, and I'd rather keep him in that case. 
Yeah I guess that answers that question. I don't know what kind of receiver you can get with a late second that has higher upside.  

Yeah I guess that answers that question. I don't know what kind of receiver you can get with a late second that has higher upside.  
correct me if I'm wrong, but 2017 didnt produce any top rookie wrs, but what is a realistic expectation for rookies these days? 2017 RBs spoiled us- going to be a lot of disappointed people in 2018. crazy to see the trends and how fickle fantasy folks can be 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals WR John Ross opened the team's scrimmage as the No. 2 receiver on Saturday.

In their first "mock game" since releasing Brandon LaFell, the Bengals lined up Ross on the opposite sideline of A.J. Green. Tyler Boyd opened as the team's starting slot receiver. The No. 9 overall pick just last year, Ross will undoubtedly have all the opportunity in the world to flourish as long as he remains healthy. Josh Malone is also a player worth monitoring for Cincinnati if either Ross or Boyd fail to contribute early.

Related: Bengals

Source: James Rapien on Twitter 

Aug 4 - 1:28 PM

ESPN's Katherine Terrell reports John Ross has had a "good" training camp.

Ross has been running as the No. 2 receiver. He had a disappointing preseason opener, corralling just 1-of-5 targets for 20 yards. His next chance comes against the Cowboys on Saturday night. Ross has blamed his awful rookie season on being unhealthy from the get go. He has said his body is finally right for 2018. Although it's only his second year, it's looking like a make-or-break campaign for the oft-injured speedster.

Source: Katherine Terrell on Twitter 

Aug 16 - 1:35 PM

I shouldve taken him in our dynasty draft, had a chance, looked at him briefly but didnt.  I just made a strong offer to the guy who did take him though, going to take a chance as my team needs more young playmakers.

:popcorn:

stocks going up. I like it. 

offered him up to several people in a dynasty league that I joined this year. Just wanted to shake up the roster. got a lot of laughs from people. 

dont mind holding, especially after seeing what a target hog he can be

Rotoworld take:

John Ross caught 2-of-4 targets for 66 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals’ third preseason game against the Bills.

Ross smoked Vontae Davis for a 57-yard touchdown on the Bengals’ first pass of the game. The pass was well underthrown by Andy Dalton, and Ross had to stop and wait for it. However, he was able to beat a couple of tackle attempts to dance into the end zone. The big play will certainly put Ross on fantasy radars late in drafts. We want to see more before overreacting, but Ross has obvious big-play ability that made him a 2017 first-rounder. There are worse late-round fliers.

Aug 26 - 6:45 PM

He is a tempting start for Week 1 going against Indy. I can only start 3 WRs and also have Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Marquise Goodwin and Kenny Stills. Going to be tough pulling the trigger on him but I feel like he probably goes off against a crappy defense and becomes the Week 1 waiver wire darling in leagues where he went undrafted.

He is a tempting start for Week 1 going against Indy. I can only start 3 WRs and also have Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Marquise Goodwin and Kenny Stills. Going to be tough pulling the trigger on him but I feel like he probably goes off against a crappy defense and becomes the Week 1 waiver wire darling in leagues where he went undrafted.
I know that Indy looks like a juicy matchup but I don't think I can start him week 1 even with my limited options at WR (my main two WR's are Sanders and Baldwin)

To me it’s simple: 

- cincy brass wants to be right about Ross.  They took him at 1.9 last year and have been criticized for it since.  They are gonna give him every chance to make them right.  

- Ross is supremely talented.  Not just a deep threat   Great route runner.  Incredible run after the catch ability   They are going to find him on deep balls but also going to try to get him in space and on screens all season long.  

- his college tape is other worldly, and he just showed yesterday that he can make the same type of catches and open field moves on nfl caliber defenders   

- He’s Locked down the #2 spot across from green, so he will see his 6+ targets each week.  

- with green on the other side, he’s not going to see a ton of double teams of any.  

- he’s going to face every opponent’s 2nd best cb each week.  

- he has flashed all offseason.  

BC I own him in both of my dynos, I am biased.  100%.  I accept that.  However, I targeted him in both leagues BC of this analysis. I didn’t make up this analysis BC I own him.  I think, barring injury, he is going to prove a ton of doubters wrong this season, and he is going to have a will fuller type season (like what fuller could have been if he stayed healthy with Watson all year last year)   

Here are the risks with Ross if I’m being fair and balanced:

- Marvin Lewis is an idiot   

- dalton isn’t the best qb, and he doesn’t seem to have the arm strength to take full advantage of ross’s Deep speed   

- Ross has emotional issues (something he admitted wrecked him last year), and seems to lose confidence and fall into depression easily   I worry that a few bad plays, a few fumbles, and/or his teammates or coaches chewing him out can take him out of his game completely   

- he has an injury checkered past   

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread