What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Palmer, LAC (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Tennessee senior WR Josh Palmer accepted an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl. 

Palmer (6'2/210) has stepped into a leading role for the Volunteers this season, and as a result the senior wide receiver is on the NFL's radar. In eight games this season the Brampton, Ontario native has caught 26 passes for 367 yards and four touchdowns. With more consistent play at the quarterback position, Palmer likely would have produced even better numbers. Palmer projects to be a Day 3 selection in next spring's draft, so the Senior Bowl week will be critical with regard to at the very least solidifying that status. Pro Football Network draft analyst Tony Pauline has given the Tennessee wideout a sixth-round grade. 

SOURCE: Senior Bowl 

Dec 7, 2020, 10:20 AM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers selected Tennessee WR Josh Palmer with the No. 77 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

With only one career 100-yard performance across 36 starts, Palmer (6'1/210) enters the league with forgettable production, although most of it can be blamed on Tennessee's poor play under center. He still has the ideal frame and speed (4.51 40) to win at the next level, and proved he can do as much in catching three of his four touchdowns in 2020 against elite CB prospects Patrick Surtain, Tyson Campbell and D.J. Daniel. Coaches compared him to Terry McLaurin (minus the collegiate production) following Senior Bowl practices. It's a terrific landing spot (especially given the draft capital) as he'll undoubtedly be linked to Justin Herbert throughout his rookie contract.

Apr 30, 2021, 10:14 PM ET

MORE

Josh Palmer, Jake Funk rising up draft boards a week away from the 2021 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

Palmer was given a third-round grade by scouts entering the season, and he was listed as a top-10 receiver in the senior class. A mediocre 2020 campaign in which he recorded fewer receptions than the prior year, left questions in the minds of scouts. Yet, since the Senior Bowl, where Palmer turned in three strong practices, scouts have reverted back to their initial takeaways.

Like most who watched the film realize, the situation at Tennessee last season, especially on offense, was not ideal. There was a lot of inconsistency at quarterback, and former starter Jarrett Guarantano transferred to Washington State. There was also a change at head coach after the season.

Still, scouts came away not only impressed with the football skills Palmer showed during Senior Bowl week, but also his physicality and athleticism. They admired the way Palmer stuck it out at Tennessee for the entire season when he had every reason to shut it down and begin draft preparation. During Tennessee’s Pro Day, Palmer timed faster than expected in the 40 at 4.51 seconds and caught the ball well during position drills.

There’s a feeling that Palmer may have restored his third-round grade with his performance in the months leading up to the draft. The New York Jets and Detroit Lions are teams showing a great deal of interest in the big receiver.

I took him in our SharkPool FFPC startup and I grabbed him in my last dynasty rookie draft of the year yesterday. In a league with fighter-themed team names, I am Honey Roy Palmer. It is like it was meant to be. White star please.

Watched some of that game last night and this kid definitely looked the part...playing with Hebert he is a guy to target ASAP because he's not going to be overlooked much longer.

He could be a good hold in dynasty until we see what happens with Mike Williams next offseason, but I don't expect much this season, unless some of the other targets miss time due to injuries. The Chargers really have a lot of talented receivers:

• Everyone knows about WR1 Allen and WR2 Williams
  • WRs Tyron Johnson (age 25) and Guyton (age 24) both had mini-breakouts last season, and both have the speed (sub-4.4) to be deep threats; Guyton also proved to be a strong run blocker last season, which can keep him on the field
  • RB1 Ekeler might be the best receiving RB in the league and RB2 Jackson is also a good receiver
  • TE1 Cook and TE2 Parham are both good receivers and big targets in the red zone
As a Chargers fan, I was happy to see his performance last night, and he has been performing well in camp. But... it was 6 catches for 36 yards last night. I'm a bit surprised at the hype he is getting.

He could be a good hold in dynasty until we see what happens with Mike Williams next offseason, but I don't expect much this season, unless some of the other targets miss time due to injuries. The Chargers really have a lot of talented receivers:

• Everyone knows about WR1 Allen and WR2 Williams
  • WRs Tyron Johnson (age 25) and Guyton (age 24) both had mini-breakouts last season, and both have the speed (sub-4.4) to be deep threats; Guyton also proved to be a strong run blocker last season, which can keep him on the field
  • RB1 Ekeler might be the best receiving RB in the league and RB2 Jackson is also a good receiver
  • TE1 Cook and TE2 Parham are both good receivers and big targets in the red zone
As a Chargers fan, I was happy to see his performance last night, and he has been performing well in camp. But... it was 4 catches for 27 yards last night. I'm a bit surprised at the hype he is getting.
Good post. But the one caveat I'd give is that Allen and Williams tend to get banged up here and there.  Johnson and Guyton will operate largely as vertical threats so if something were to happen to Allen or Williams, I think you'd see Palmer get some of that work. In the meantime, I still think he'll get some work, particularly in the intermediate area.  Agree with you that his ceiling this year seems capped without injury but he's fast and physical and I think there will be a role for him.

I held the 3.02 in a 5-Round Rookie/UFA Draft in my $$$ Dynasty League (14 Teams) and fully planned on using it on Palmer. Very savvy Owner pulled him at 2.-freaking-08...over Chuba, A-RSt.B, Dyami Brown, FA Tonyan, Nico Collins and FA McKissic. To be fair, I would likely have taken him over all of them as well, but it just seemed odd, him going at #22 overall, vs him being there for me at #29. Guess I should have thought more about our 2021 Unrestricted Free Agent class being relatively weak, and tried to trade for a mid-2nd. I had already taken Bateman at 2.01. The 2nd Round led off with a WR run, as many do - Bateman, Marshall, the Moore's, Toney, followed by Gainwell and Freiermuth. It makes sense for him to go where he did...I'm just annoyed it worked out that way. My consolation prize was Amari Rodgers. Big fan of both player/situation. Both were headed for taxi squad, so it's not like I lost out on immediate help. We'll see who proves to have the better career. I sure do like Palmer's future, though.

Just a heads up.... Palmer was over at Keenan's house the other day and hung out there for 6 hours.... All he was doing was absorbing everything Keenan was telling him and showing him...the youngster is Sports IQ and willingness to pick Keenan's brain about the game is unique.... for example Mike Williams and none of the other WR's on the team starting or practice squad every ask the type of questions Palmer is asking... Actually heard Mike Williams is really immature and always acts like a kid....He cant break down film and read Defenses like he should... Keenan is loving this new kid 

Josh Palmer caught 5-of-7 targets for 66 yards and one score in Los Angeles' Week 14 win over the Giants.

A team-high 73.5% of Palmer's routes came from the slot as the Chargers felt comfortable plugging him in there for Keenan Allen (COVID). He also started alongside Mike Williams in 12 personnel and registered a team-high 22.5% target share, hauling in a 12-yard touchdown in the second quarter to give the Chargers a 14-7 lead and, later on, delivering a key block on Austin Ekeler’s 18-yard run. Palmer will continue to sprinkle in as a lesser-used option with Allen expected to return on Thursday night.

Dec 13, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

Josh Palmer caught 4-of-9 targets for 45 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 18 loss to the Raiders.

Palmer was primarily used as the backup to Keenan Allen this year. He logged a snap share north of 50 percent once through the first 13 weeks of the season. Then, as the Chargers dealt with a handful of receivers landing on the COVID list, Palmer was able to step into a larger role. He scored three times in his final five games as a rookie while topping 40 yards in three weeks during that stretch as well. Palmer also continued on special teams in his first season. It's unlikely that Palmer steps into a much larger role in 2022 but free agency could change his outlook. Mike Williams is a free agent and Jalen Guyton is a restricted free agent. Palmer would go from a deep dynasty stash to a viable redraft pick if both players walk.

Jan 10, 2022, 2:47 AM ET

He was targeted in clutch situations and was legit so close to making so many nice catches. I'm pretty high on him next year as long as the depth chart figures itself out. 

I thought he looked pretty good this year and last night in particular. He might have had a drop, it was hard to see if the throw was behind or if the defender got a hand in there. But overall I was impressed by his releases and really impressed by his sideline non catch. The one where he elevated and had the control to get both feet down, although his hand hit first to nullify it. I think he’s something.

He was targeted in clutch situations and was legit so close to making so many nice catches. I'm pretty high on him next year as long as the depth chart figures itself out. 
I think he’s def more than a deep dynasty stash as referenced in the blurb. He should be rostered in all dynasties.

Where does this guy sit on the depth chart compared to Guyton?
Different roles I think. Guyton is the speed guy. Palmer is more like Keenan. If Keenan were to miss time Palmer would fill that role and FEAST. I’d assume if Williams walks Palmer takes over as the starting wideout in most 2 wr formations with Guyton or another speed guy rotating in when they want the field stretched.

Different roles I think. Guyton is the speed guy. Palmer is more like Keenan. If Keenan were to miss time Palmer would fill that role and FEAST. I’d assume if Williams walks Palmer takes over as the starting wideout in most 2 wr formations with Guyton or another speed guy rotating in when they want the field stretched.
I don’t see any scenario if they let Williams walk that they just leave their star QB with Keenan, Palmer, and Guyton. I am intrigued by Palmer but they would sign or draft someone of relevance IMO.

I don’t see any scenario if they let Williams walk that they just leave their star QB with Keenan, Palmer, and Guyton. I am intrigued by Palmer but they would sign or draft someone of relevance IMO.
True they’ll add to the wr room somehow if Williams walks. Can’t think there would be more than a handful of guys drafted who would be locks to start right away though. And probably not more than a couple FAs as well. The worst thing he might have going for him is that he’s supposed to be similar to Keenan who is locked into his role. The team could be considered to have needs for a big wr and a speed wr even if they are really happy with Palmer.

Palmer is more like Keenan
People say this, but, as a Chargers fan, I don't think it's a very good comparison. Allen plays most of his snaps from the slot, whereas Palmer seems more like an outside receiver, both now and long term. The WR traits Allen is best are elite route running and quickness, footwork, IQ. I don't think Palmer is particularly close to Allen in those areas.

People say this, but, as a Chargers fan, I don't think it's a very good comparison. Allen plays most of his snaps from the slot, whereas Palmer seems more like an outside receiver, both now and long term. The WR traits Allen is best are elite route running and quickness, footwork, IQ. I don't think Palmer is particularly close to Allen in those areas.
I would be curious on your thoughts on Palmer JWB. Do you think he has upside as a WR2 for the Chargers?

If they keep him, I kinda like Guyton more than Palmer if you're looking at FF numbers (maybe not PPR, but otherwise). They were finding interesting ways of utilizing Guyton as the season went on, and I think he has enough speed to fill the speed role for the Chargers. But he's a RFA, so we'll see if the price is right for them to keep him. His utility FF wise will also be closely related to what happens with Williams and if/how they replace Williams if he leaves.

I tend to agree from what I saw on his college tape. But I read in a few places the Keenan thing and that he’s been following Keenan around picking his brain. I think he played a lot of slot the game Keenan missed as well. Could be wrong about that.

King of the Jungle said:

I believe they like Williams but allocation of finances and Palmer will have them moving on. They will add to the WR room and IMO will even if they surprisingly retained Williams because one of the major needs on the offensive side of the ball is speed at WR. This may not be so bad for Palmer as we often see speed WR's lower on the volume pecking order but having benefit of opening up the offense.

I would be curious on your thoughts on Palmer JWB. Do you think he has upside as a WR2 for the Chargers?
Yes. I was frustrated they drafted him because they already had two strong starting WRs and solid depth WRs. The only thing that makes sense is that they drafted him to ultimately replace either Williams or Allen. Because of their contracts and also because Allen is a longer-time Charger, I assumed that would be Williams. Williams then went out and had his best season in 2021, which creates the possibility the Chargers could keep him, whether via long term contract or franchise tag. But Palmer also showed good promise.

If I had to guess today, I think the Chargers will franchise Williams, which will delay Palmer's breakout opportunity barring injury to Williams or Allen. But, as a Chargers fan, I don't want them to use $38M in 2022 cap space on Allen and Williams, so I hope they don't do that. I hope they let Williams walk and allocate the cap space elsewhere. They have extensive needs that are more important IMO; I posted my view on that in the Chargers thread earlier today.

I think Palmer showed enough to be WR2 next year on the outside. He's got good size, decent enough speed, but they should add an elite deep threat in the draft or in FA...younger at least. Perhaps even a seam-stretching TE that's younger than Cook.

Williams money doesnt make sense (but they could do it considering Herbert friendly contract) as Palmer would replace a decent chunk of the production and not sure they would miss Williams size. They could utilize PArham more if he's healthy, or just get some size speed at both WR and TE. 

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports Chargers WR Josh Palmer played with the first-team offense during minicamp.

Popper added that Gerald Everett ran with the starters. Drafted in the third round of the 2021 NFL Draft, Palmer split WR3 reps with Jalen Guyton as a rookie. Guyton saw more snaps than Palmer but the latter out-targeted him by one look. Palmer saw an uptick in his playing time down the stretch as the Chargers dealt with a handful of absences at the top of their depth chart. If Palmer takes on a full-time role as the Chargers' third receiver, he would have some volatile fantasy appeal on a weekly basis. 

RELATED: 

Jalen Guyton

, Gerald Everett

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 15, 2022, 4:28 PM ET

The Athletic's Daniel Popper expects WR Josh Palmer "to distance himself as the clear third wide receiver during camp."

Popper notes that Palmer's worth ethic has stood out this offseason, with the second-year wide receiver "regularly the last player on the practice field. He throws with Herbert after practice more than any other receiver on the roster." Justin Herbert has also been complimentary of Palmer, "He’s been much more confident... this year, it’s a different Josh Palmer out there and he knows exactly what he’s doing." Palmer played as a rookie primarily as an injury fill-in, with Jalen Guyton starting on the outside in three wide receiver sets. If Palmer can win that role in camp, he could be in for a true breakout season in one of the league's best passing attacks.

RELATED: 

Jalen Guyton

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 25, 2022, 1:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread