What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (1 Viewer)

Titans released Julio Jones. 

The move reportedly will be designated a post-June 1 cut, saving Tennessee $9.5 million against the cap this year by pushing $8.4 million in dead cap to 2023. The Titans gave up a second and fourth-round pick for Jones last June only for the future Hall of Famer to struggle his way through an injury-marred season. Jones ends his Titans career with just 37 catches for 496 yards and a single touchdown across 11 games including the playoffs. Jones is no longer in his prime, but he continues to be a solid wide receiver when healthy. Unfortunately, that has not been the case the last two seasons. He might have to settle for a one-year deal in free agency. 

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Mar 16, 2022, 4:02 PM ET

Stay away Riverboat Ron, stay away. I know you like your vets...and we have a need for a big WR, but this guy is toast. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel like I'm in the minority here, but I'd be all over trying to sign Julio if I were a GM. Assuming he's open to a 1 year deal of course. I'd love to have him in Chicago.

I think he can still play at a high,  not elite, but a high level the rare times he can actually play.

I could come up with a ton of teams who could/should be interested on a low cost/incentive heavy one year type deal.

But I do wonder if his pride has caught up with his skillset/injury history? In other words has he accepted his new reality in terms of the type of contract and maybe role he'll see? He might need a little more time for it to all settle in for him.

SoBeDad said:
Maybe sign on the cheap with Brady's team. When healthy, a big if, he's been above average. Just turned 33.
Tom apparently recruiting him.  I don't see it though.  Tampa's WR room is pretty crowded.

Think he will retire?  
No.

I think he will finally get a trainer and stretching routine. 

Breer's writeup of him avoiding routes and running others poorly playing through injury was dead on.

I bet he's still a very good WR. Is that a step down from elite? He has height and ups, some speed, awesome body control and hands. He and AJB near each other wasn't like a dad and little kid. They were reasonably close in drills and breaks on field.

5 Spots I think Julio(or another FA WR) would be a great fit, and also have cap space at the moment:

1. Indy-Have a huge need opposite Pittman, and don't have a 1st round pick. I do wonder with the Rams signing Robinson, if they might prefer to go a bit younger with a guy like Beckham.

2. Chicago-With apologies to Byron Pringle, its Mooney and that's it right now. Julio would also likely be able to serve as a good veteran leader for a guy like Fields to lean on. I think this is the perfect landing spot.  

3. Seattle-This would likely be somewhat contingent on trading DK Metcalf. If Seattle is looking to maximize picks, Julio could be a 1 year fill-in, who doesn't effect the comp pick formula. I could also see them going somebody younger though as they seem to be starting a full rebuild, maybe a guy like JuJu.

4. Dallas-With Cooper and Wilson gone, and Gallup re-signed but very iffy for week 1, Julio could serve as a starter and a valuable part of the 3 wide set. I do wonder if they would prefer a slot guy in order to have Lamb play a bigger role outside, in which case a reunion with Cole Beasley would make sense. 

5. Washington-They've needed a guy opposite McLaurin his entire career. Ron Rivera is very familiar with how good Julio can be, and it would allow Curtis Samuel to stay in the slot, where he's most effective. Of course, they may also prefer Samuel's speed outside, and could target a slot guy like Landry instead.

I do think Julio is the highest upside WR left in FA, its just a matter of can he stay on the field, and how much will he want to get paid. I think he's got a good deal left in the tank. 

I'm surprised no one has signed Jones yet.  I don't think he's done, even with career lows last year.  He did average 85 yards per game when healthy.  Is he done?

He's not elite any longer but he still can provide some help to teams those increasingly rare weeks he has two healthy hamstrings. My  guess as to why no one has signed him yet is not a lack of interest but  Julio's pride has not yet been able to come to grips with his declining skills and injury risk label and the corresponding contract that entails.

I'm surprised no one has signed Jones yet.  I don't think he's done, even with career lows last year.  He did average 85 yards per game when healthy.  Is he done?
If he is not done and no one has signed him, perhaps he is out of gas.

Tampa bound! 

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

· 5m

Seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones is signing a one-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, per source. The soon-to-be 45-year Tom Brady now will have a chance to throw to the 33-year-old Jones.

Yeah, I don't think he was surviving the offseason on my roster anyway. I was more posting for information's sake than true lament. I had expected more from him last year after Godwin went down. We didn't see anything that would lead one to believe he'd be a viable fantasy asset. 

Drafted same year as AJ Green, but has more left in the tank than Green if he can stay healthy.  A big if.

Yeah, I don't think he was surviving the offseason on my roster anyway. I was more posting for information's sake than true lament. I had expected more from him last year after Godwin went down. We didn't see anything that would lead one to believe he'd be a viable fantasy asset. 
Yeah - the writing was already on the wall with the Gage signing, but this is the final stake in the heart for the waiver darling. :(  

Great news for Brady. His ceiling was looking a little sketchy with no Gronk and questionable when he'll be playing Godwin. Julio relives a lot of worry. Part of me wonders how Julio will look facing #3/4 CBs once Godwin is back. He's only a year removed from an 85.7 YPG season. 

I wonder if they use Julio or Evans in the TE spot.  Maybe not at the goalline, but both are strong and athletic.
I would highly doubt that. Both guys are outside WRs. If any WR gets used in that way, its probably going to be Gage. 

I wonder if when everyone is healthy, that TE is somewhat fazed out of the main offense, and just becomes more of a situational position. Like a full spread style college offense with Brady in the shotgun every play, with Fournette picking up blitzers, and Julio/Evans outside, with Godwin/Gage inside. Normally you wouldn't want to invite your QB to get hit a ton, and doing that tends to, but with how quick Brady processes and releases, its going to be awfully tempting. 

A possible comp might be Andre Johnson at 33. He was 85/936/3 with mostly Fitzpatrick at QB. That's the year Hopkins emerged. I could see  taking an early flyer on Julio due to Brady and a potentially very good offense in a bad division.  But Brady's age, a new head coach, injury history, too many risks.

Users who are viewing this thread