What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kadarius Toney, KC (1 Viewer)

Kadarius Toney caught 5-of-7 targets for 36 yards in the Chiefs' Divisional Round win against the Jaguars, adding one rush for 14 yards.​

His seven targets led all Chiefs wideouts as Travis Kelce commanded an unbelievable 14 targets. Toney's snap and route shares continue to inch upward in a Kansas City offense desperate for another playmaker outside Kelce. Toney nearly scored a touchdown in an impressively tough run for the sideline. His video game jukes seem to have finally caught the attention of Andy Reid. Hopefully Toney can stay healthy ahead of the AFC title bout.
Jan 21, 2023, 9:18 PM ET

Giants got a third and sixth in this years draft for him. If one of the picks turns out to be someone who can stay on the field when called upon it was a good deal for them.

Giants got a third and sixth in this years draft for him. If one of the picks turns out to be someone who can stay on the field when called upon it was a good deal for them.
And if Toney can stay on the field and play like he's looked it won't be.
Let's see how the two picks pan out and let's see if Toney can stay healthy. The picks are TBD. Toney is setting a trend.

If Toney stays healthy and plays well the Giants don't win the deal at all. I think it was a poor choice to give up on him so soon but it seemed more or less like Daboll never cared for him so he had no chance. When healthy Toney is a game changer. Love the player hated NYG had drafted him but love the fact NYG gave up on him so fast and now he's in KC where he'll be used properly.

And if Toney can stay on the field and play like he's looked it won't be.
Not necessarily. Even if he pans out for KC, that doesn't mean he would have for NYG for a plethora of reasons.
Then that's not on him.

Veach was saying he's about to be the most talented WR on the team, Mahomes said he's a special type of talent like on one he's ever played with his some of his movement abilty. He's been making an big impact. Then he hurt his ankle. Juju got hurt 4 plays before he he could cash in on a million dollar bonus. Injuries happen and yes Toney's injuries have been a major issue but the overreaction by the fantasy football crowd seems to have reached epic proportions. Guy hurts his ankle so he's trash. Got it.

Toney's injuries have been a major issue but the overreaction by the fantasy football crowd seems to have reached epic proportions. Guy hurts his ankle so he's trash.
Did someone call him trash? That's silly.

Entirely and utterly unreliable? Absolutely! But trash? That's nonsense.

Reactions: Zow
Veach was saying he's about to be the most talented WR on the team, Mahomes said he's a special type of talent like on one he's ever played with his some of his movement abilty. He's been making an big impact. Then he hurt his ankle. Juju got hurt 4 plays before he he could cash in on a million dollar bonus. Injuries happen and yes Toney's injuries have been a major issue but the overreaction by the fantasy football crowd seems to have reached epic proportions. Guy hurts his ankle so he's trash. Got it.

If you had to make a thousand dollar bet next year, would you take the over or under 7.5 complete games played in the regular season for Toney.

If you had to make a thousand dollar bet next year, would you take the over or under 7.5 complete games played in the regular season for Toney.
I'd do over but I don't spend a lot of time on the injury prediction business.

If Toney stays healthy and plays well the Giants don't win the deal at all. I think it was a poor choice to give up on him so soon but it seemed more or less like Daboll never cared for him so he had no chance. When healthy Toney is a game changer. Love the player hated NYG had drafted him but love the fact NYG gave up on him so fast and now he's in KC where he'll be used properly.
I think even if he stays healthy and plays well we need to see what those two picks turn into before we can say The Giants didn't,or did,win the deal. And some deals wind up helping both teams.

I think even if he stays healthy and plays well we need to see what those two picks turn into before we can say The Giants didn't,or did,win the deal. And some deals wind up helping both teams.
Based on his history with the Giants, they almost had to trade him. He hardly even made it through practices and there had to be some questions about his dedication.
With that said, it’s obvious he’s a talent when he does play. The guy is so electric. It’s hard for anyone to really claim to know what will happen. There’s examples of guys that had rough starts to their early careers with injuries that went on to play well and some that continued to miss games until they became afterthoughts.
I think it will end up working well for both teams.

Not sure why there’s so much disagreement in here.
It’s classic risk tolerance/upside play. Some NFL teams (and fantasy managers) want to take the chance on a guy like Toney and trade FOR him, and other Teams/managers have seen enough of him missing loads of games each season and want to cash out for something new and will find a trading partner easily in the first first group.

Me? I’m simply holding in the 1 of 3 dynasty leagues where I roster him. but that’s in a full rebuild so he’s exactly the kind of upside play I need on that team.

Based on his history with the Giants, they almost had to trade him. He hardly even made it through practices and there had to be some questions about his dedication.
With that said, it’s obvious he’s a talent when he does play. The guy is so electric. It’s hard for anyone to really claim to know what will happen. There’s examples of guys that had rough starts to their early careers with injuries that went on to play well and some that continued to miss games until they became afterthoughts.
I think it will end up working well for both teams.

To be fair would you want to play for the Giants with Jones at QB?

To be fair would you want to play for the Giants with Jones at QB?
I don't think a player should have no sense of loyalty to a team that drafted him in the first round (and paid him well) and I do not believe a professional should not act like a profession because he's facing some adversity such as having a less than ideal QB - so I do have to lay blame at his feet.

With that said, I have no idea whether Toney is always hurt or just dogging it, but neither option is really ideal. Players learn to deal with injuries and mature so it's not like he's a lost cause and his talent is certainly off the charts.

Amazing the Giants even got a cup of coffee.
Toney is a first round talent that showed evidence supporting such talent in the limited time he played (as opposed to, say, a N'Keal Harry, Jalen Raegor, or Nelson Agholor who were first rounders and had injury issues but their on-field play never supported they were first round talents). As a Vikings fan, I'd have had zero issues if we traded a third rounder for Toney. While he's a huge risk, he's still on a favorable rookie contract and he has demonstrated significant upside that's gotta be worth a third rounder.

And some deals wind up helping both teams.
I believe if both teams knew what they knew today they both easily agree on still making that trade, so that's what I'd normally chalk up as win/win. The Chiefs seem thrilled, and the Giants obviously had reason(s) where they wanted to move on.

Amazing the Giants even got a cup of coffee.
Toney is a first round talent that showed evidence supporting such talent in the limited time he played (as opposed to, say, a N'Keal Harry, Jalen Raegor, or Nelson Agholor who were first rounders and had injury issues but their on-field play never supported they were first round talents). As a Vikings fan, I'd have had zero issues if we traded a third rounder for Toney. While he's a huge risk, he's still on a favorable rookie contract and he has demonstrated significant upside that's gotta be worth a third rounder.
He sure wasn't worth all the 12th - 15th rounders I flushed down the terlet for hi, last year.

eta - Also would have been a huge payday on FD for me last me if it wasn't for him.

Last edited:

Kadarius Toney (ankle) practiced Thursday.​

This is key, as this is the week the Chiefs actually install their Super Bowl game plan. Coach Andy Reid described Toney as "close." It sure sounds like he will be out there for Super Bowl LVII, but his snaps will obviously remain limited as always. The young man just can't stay healthy on all but the smallest of workloads. He still profiles as a potential X-factor for an offense low on playmakers at the moment.
SOURCE: Nate Taylor on Twitter
Feb 2, 2023, 1:15 PM ET

Kadarius Toney (ankle/hamstring) did not practice Friday.​

Toney got some reps during the team's walkthrough on Thursday but was still listed as a DNP on the official injury report. It's possible he was given a similar treatment today. Andy Reid was optimistic about Toney's status for the Super Bowl and called him "close" on Thursday. The real test will come when the Chiefs release the first practice report of next week.
SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter
Feb 3, 2023, 1:52 PM ET

Kadarius Toney (ankle/hamstring) said he will "definitely play" in the Super Bowl against the Eagles.​

Listed as questionable, Toney seems confident that he'll suit up on Sunday. He went down in the first quarter of the AFC title game after cutting upfield and collapsing to the field. Toney did not return to the game. The Chiefs' most explosive pass catcher, Toney could be a critical piece of the KC passing attack against a stalwart Philadelphia secondary. He's been targeted on 10 of his past 21 pass routes. If Toney can't play, JuJu Smith-Schuster -- listed as questionable with a knee injury -- would see an uptick in targets.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com
Feb 7, 2023, 10:25 AM ET

The finesse this guy has lol...if the Chiefs win he could stretch an entire career of injury riddled seasons into the least amount of on-field time ever. Plenty of teams would bank on the potential only to get strung along by this guy's leg injuries. It's almost a work of art what Toney does.

Chiefs HC Andy Reid said Kadarius Toney is "running around like crazy" at practice.​

Toney was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice, but as Reid pointed out during a Thursday press conference, "he did everything that was planned for him to do." It sounds like Toney's limited session was by team design more so than him being physically limited. With two more practices to go in the week, it's possible he'll have logged at least one full practice before the weekend, and will be in line to play on Sunday.
SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork.com
Feb 9, 2023, 10:47 AM ET

NFL Network's James Palmer reports there is "a lot in there" for Kadarius Toney (ankle, hamstring) in the Chiefs' Super Bowl game plan.​

"Specifically after the catch," Palmer added. Palmer calls Andy's Super Bowl 57 game plan "very expansive, moreso than you would have for any other game." We are sorry if you are tired of hearing this, but Toney does remain an X-factor for an offense low on explosive playmakers behind Travis Kelce. We don't doubt the plan is to use him. The question is how long might he hold up, or if his snaps/touches will be purely scripted, and he won't play beyond a few designated series.
SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter
Feb 9, 2023, 3:30 PM ET

Kadarius Toney caught a five-yard touchdown in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LVII victory over the Eagles.​

Toney also added a 65-yard punt return to set up a five-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter. As some expected, Toney's play-making ability was a Lombardi X-factor even though his uncovered score was his lone target. Acquired from the Giants for third- and sixth-round picks ahead of the trade deadline, oft-injured Toney managed only 17 targets across seven regular season appearances in a Chiefs uniform. Of course, he averaged an eye-popping 2.70 yards per route run in the process. That would have placed second to only Tyreek Hill amongst qualified receivers in Pro Football Focus’ database. In addition to dominating the advanced metrics, Toney’s acceleration, stop/start ability and surprising strength showed up on film any time he took the field. He just has to take the field far more often. 470 offensive snaps would be a low season total for a former first-round pick. That is what Toney has managed in two years. If he can finally stay off the injury report in 2023, Toney’s upside will be sky high as the man who could replace Tyreek.
Feb 12, 2023, 10:50 PM ET

Now the off-season begins, Toney should endeavor to spend time developing timing and chemistry with Mahomes. And learn all of Andy Reid's offensive playbook. He'll be helluva receiver for Chiefs.

1 catch for 5 yds, uncovered for a TD, those are his totals on offense.
And 1 Punt Return for 65 yards at the biggest moment of the football game
I don't know that he is going to be a great WR but they traded for him and he didn't have a lot of stats to this point.
Unlikely hero

I think people will overdraft him heading into next season, mainly on that punt return. He's clearly got some big time skills, just not sure it will translate to being a consistent producer at WR. A lot depends on if Juju returns and who else they bring in next year as competition for targets.

Last edited:
I kept looking for him to make a big play. There was offsides on the Eagles on a play where he was getting the ball in the flat. Next play they faked that same thing and threw to Juju. Finally he made 2 great plays when it really mattered - the 4q of the Super Bowl. He’s only going to get more ingrained in the offense this off-season. His ability to avoid tackles is just silly.

I'm still not sure if he is a receiver who also gets a handful of plays designed for him or a "gadget" player who also catches some passes.

Yeah, hard to trust the guy with persistent durability issues. Can win a week for you if you hit right though.

Pretty sure his draft stock will soar this off-season and he'll get picked way too high in most leagues.

I'm still not sure if he is a receiver who also gets a handful of plays designed for him or a "gadget" player who also catches some passes.
I think it's both and the Percy Harvin comps are spot on.

Now what you might be asking is he a full time player? I'm thinking most likely not, at least not yet. My guess is a team like the Chiefs with SB aspirations will treat him like a Ferrari and not the family vehicle during course of the long season. The good news is that when he's in the game he's used, got a touch just above once every 5 snaps. Considering he'll know the offense more this usage could/should get expanded but just using that as a baseline if he played 50% of the snaps he'd be right around 7 touches a game. That's pretty much my expectation with him when he's healthy enough to play. The downside is injuries which lead to less playing time, the upside is he's a healthy full time player and now we are talking WR1 kind of stuff.

Yeah, hard to trust the guy with persistent durability issues. Can win a week for you if you hit right though.

Pretty sure his draft stock will soar this off-season and he'll get picked way too high in most leagues.

yeah we'll see but I'm dubious

last year his ADP was 10.05 (WR46)

early Expert Consensus Rankings (4 services) has him at 10.07 (WR47) - and that's pre-FA signing + doesn't include rookies

I think he'll be a double digit round WR4/WR5 in most leagues

it's not even just the durability or lack of consistent production, dude has very limited route tree & skill set

pretty hard to hype a guy who hasn't shown much in two years other than the occasional flash of pure athleticism

we saw zero examples of him being used in a traditional WR role, he was strictly a handful of gadget plays

who is going to waste a pick on a guy that hits double digits 3x a season? he saw more than 19 snaps twice in the regular season

Users who are viewing this thread