What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kyle Philips, TEN (1 Viewer)

Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus named junior WR Kyle Philips the best slot receiver in the class.

Philips (5'11/191) was among the offensive bright spots for the UCLA Bruins over the course of his college career, reeling in 59 receptions for 739 yards with 10 touchdowns. While he's not b been talked about quite as much as some of the other names in a very deep receivers class ahead of the 2022 NFL Draft, he has garnered adequate recognition. Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus recently named Philips the best slot receiver available, so it will be interesting to see how he transitions into the role in the NFL.
Apr 12, 2022, 2:07 PM ET

Titans selected UCLA WR Kyle Philips with the No. 163 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Philips (5'11/189) is exactly who you think he is. The slot receiver amassed 163 catches for 1,821 yards and 17 touchdowns in four years at UCLA and just edged out Greg Dulcich for the team receiving lead last season. He was also a productive punt returner, averaging 19.3 yards on 26 career returns with two scores. Philips' headline 4.58 Combine 40 is not impressive, but he showed the short-area quickness he needs with a 4.09 short shuttle and 6.75 three-cone during his Pro Day. His punt return ability should earn him a roster spot, and he has the skills to be a factor underneath if he gets the opportunity. He joins a Titans offense without a particularly deep wideout room.

TitanInsider.com's Terry McCormick reports fifth-round WR Kyle Philips has been getting reps with the first-team offense as the slot receiver.

The Titans have one of the weakest wideout rooms in the league, and things are wide open behind veteran trade pickup Robert Woods. First-rounder Treylon Burks has had a better summer than spring when he missed a bunch of time with conditioning issues, but snaps and targets are still up for grabs. Philips was a slot machine at UCLA and showed short-area burst with his shuttle and three-cone times at the Combine. Titans WRs coach Rob Moore said Philips has "earned" his reps with the starters. Nick Westbrook-Ihkine and sophomores Racey McMath and Dez Fitzpatrick are among the other Tennessee receivers competing for snaps.
SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter
Aug 4, 2022, 10:45 AM ET

Just acquired this guy yesterday as a throw-in on a trade. I don’t know, I just have a good feeling about him.

Just acquired this guy yesterday as a throw-in on a trade. I don’t know, I just have a good feeling about him.
The Titans haven't (noteworthy for FF) used the slot since Kendall Wright. Their new OC tried to last year but had to switch back to two TE because Tannehill was sacked a zillion times.
They've made him work his way up and he's done it beautifully. Next step isn't so much preseason as is the two team practices ahead.
(BTW a nice fifth round pick for sure)
I think he's a gem for dynasty and late late late pick for redraft.
Redraft- the usage (above) is highly questionable but his game has translated perfectly and Tannehill can't stop talking about he and Chig. (Chig is not a good inline blocker and has a tougher route to matter in redraft. )
People realize how fast a slot gets open right? The timing and rapport with Tannehill is awesome per every reporter.
I could see 3 and 4 catch games regularly and sneak in a few 7-8 catch later in the season. Nervous with this prediction but also who else will they throw to. The prob is Humphries and how he was the biggest free agent WR. The Titans finally spent $ and....still ran two TE and didn't use the slot much. So it's not a confident prediction but draft him very late and hope or cut him

The Titans' official website reports fifth-round WR Kyle Philips has gotten open "again and again and again" vs. the Bucs in joint practices.​

"He goes rabbit hunting with a hammer," coach Mike Vrabel said of the rookie slot man. We are not quite sure what that means, but we know the usually circumspect Vrabel thinks it's good. Philips has drawn consistent summer praise while fellow rookie Treylon Burks has struggled in a multitude of areas. The No. 163 overall pick, Philips seems assured of seeing real early-season snaps on offense.
SOURCE: tennesseetitans.com
Aug 18, 2022, 3:38 PM ET

The targets in Tennessee are going to be interesting. Everyone but Burks is getting buzz. Westbrook-Ikhine, Woods and Phillips. Even Hooper and Chigoziem.
Last year's targets (per pro football reference):

AJB- 105 in 13 games
Nick W-I- 57
Jones- 48
Chester Rogers, Firkser 43
Swaim 40
McNichols 38
Hillard 26
Henry 20
And 102 sprinkled in to 13 others for a total of 522 passing attempts, averaging 31.1/gm (per teamrankings)

Have to imagine Burks targets will rise as the season goes on, maybe up to 7/game toward the end of the year?

Typical passing distribution: 20% to the RBs, 22% to the TEs (my math looking at target #s

6 to the RBs
7 to the TEs
18 to the WRs.

Unless they change their offense, you're looking at a pretty meager pie to be splitting up between these WRs.

I don't grade OLines but I've been hearing not great things. Not sure how Tannehill will do if the running game is struggling due to OLine/ Henry being slight downgrades. But there's a case to be made that having a handful of better options will be better than having one great option and a handful of jags. And Woods is known for his blocking.

All of this is to say, I think he's probably more of a dynasty buy than a redraft guy but hey, you never know.

Kyle Philips caught 6-of-9 targets for 66 yards in the Titans' Week 1 loss to the Giants.​

It's unlikely you had Philips down as the Titans' leading receiver in this one, but that's exactly what happened as the fifth-round rookie out of UCLA turned in a strong debut performance. With the Titans looking to drive late in the fourth quarter, it was Philips who showed the most chemistry with Ryan Tannehill, as the two hooked up on three passes for 32 yards in the final minute to set up a 47-yard game-winning field goal attempt. Philips' strong day wasn't without blemish, as the rookie muffed a punt in the fourth quarter that was recovered by the Giants, but he appears to be locked into a meaningful role out of the gates. It's too early to invest a lot of trust into Philips, but we know these slot roles can be valuable in PPR leagues.
- NBCSportsEDGE

@PFF_NateJahnke

Wide receivers with the largest targets per route, minimum 20 routes

1. Kyle Philips 42.9% 👀👀👀
2. Tyreek Hill 38.7%
3. Davante Adams 36.6%
4. Amon-Ra St. Brown 33.3%
5. Brandin Cooks 31.6%

@PFF_NateJahnke

He wasn't targeted the first 4 drives, the last drive of he half was 3 incompletions intended for him. Second half, 6 targets 6 receptions, had one nice deep intermediate that went for 21. Honestly I had no impression of him other than that one play *(admittedly the game was background noise while we entertained.) Also muffed a punt that was recovered by the Giants on the 11 but they kept him in the game.

Fifth round pick on a running team doesn't seem like something to be excited about. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
@PFF_NateJahnke

He wasn't targeted the first 4 drives, the last drive of he halve was 3 incompletions intended for him. Second half, 6 targets 6 receptions, had one nice deep intermediate that went for 21. Honestly I had no impression of him other than that one play *(admittedly the game was background noise while we entertained.) Also muffed a punt that was recovered by the Giants on the 11 but they kept him in the game.

Fifth round pick on a running team doesn't seem like something to be excited about. Am I missing something?
He's probably a guy that will have a few good weeks, but I also wouldn't be chasing the stats when you have to assume they have every intent to get Burks more and more involved, along with the proven steady vet in Woods. And of course, the limited passing volume, as you said.

@PFF_NateJahnke

He wasn't targeted the first 4 drives, the last drive of he halve was 3 incompletions intended for him. Second half, 6 targets 6 receptions, had one nice deep intermediate that went for 21. Honestly I had no impression of him other than that one play *(admittedly the game was background noise while we entertained.) Also muffed a punt that was recovered by the Giants on the 11 but they kept him in the game.

He also had a 45-yard punt return. I thought the rookie played quite well. His consistency must improve (don't muff punts) but his routes and hands looked good, imo. For him to immediately, first pro game, look like a pretty good slot receiver...I think it really bodes well for his NFL future.

Having said that, he likely has much more value to the actual team than a fantasy team.

I'm not sure what was up with Woods but I suspect he wasn't getting separation. And Hooper (or his usage?) was a big disappointment. We'll see if the two vets can get into a groove with Tanny but, if not, yeah tons of extra targets for Philips all year long.

Last edited:

Kyle Philips (shoulder) is questionable for Week 2 against the Bills.​

Phillips missed Thursday's practice but was upgraded to a limited participant for the following two practices. He paced the Titans with nine targets, six catches, and 66 yards in Week 1. With Gabe Davis suddenly popping up on the injury report, Philips is one of the few emergency pivots available in most leagues. He is a suable WR4/5 for Week 2 but could become a hot waiver wire add if Davis is sidelined.
Sep 18, 2022, 12:14 PM ET

@PFF_NateJahnke

He wasn't targeted the first 4 drives, the last drive of he half was 3 incompletions intended for him. Second half, 6 targets 6 receptions, had one nice deep intermediate that went for 21. Honestly I had no impression of him other than that one play *(admittedly the game was background noise while we entertained.) Also muffed a punt that was recovered by the Giants on the 11 but they kept him in the game.

He had a big punt return too.

The Titans offense couldn't get Humphries involved when he was the highest paid free agent WR and a proven slot gem.

Phillips is so much like Welker, I mean as much as I hate comparisons this one is so close.

He doesn't belong on the outside. He's got slot written all over him. Last week, late in the game- when they needed a FG- they put him outside and relied on him. That's a gigantic statement. Still, though, they have to adjust and use him in the slot. I don't doubt his suddenness, shiftiness, and intelligence can get him a pass here n there outside but there's also the difference between prevent defense and regular defense and he's like 5-10 and thin and....Welker.

NPF was a rookie starting RT in his first game. Hooper helped a lot as the Giants attacked him. (The tackle did well) This left no one on Swaim, the blocking TE, so he got a few passes because why not. I don't expect Hooper to do anything different this weekend but soon. (The bills are too good rushing the passer.) Hooper and Phillips will both be over the middle receivers more or less, so how many targets are there for that?

The Titans established almost zero outside threat last week and made playing defense super simple for the Gmen. That can't happen either. Burks and Woods will get involved some.

I think Phillips is going to be a fine bye week cover for deep leagues and just leave it at that. The opportunity for a slot in a 2 TE offense is minimized

I will say Phillips is the best rookie route runner I've seen in a decade. He's elite and as good as it gets like Hopkins, Fitzgerald type holy cow.
He's got very little fancy athletic moves that will get this post flamed, but find the spot, cut on a dime, cut again on a dime- he's already a tactician. Best yet too is you watch n think "damn, wow" and then he nitpicks himself.

This is more the anti athletic wr. He's not 6-4 and doesn't run beautifully fast like a gazelle and have catcher mitts for hands. He's just a guy that learned the craft.

The million dollar question here is why on earth Belichick let him fall to the Titans. Amendola, Edelman, Welker, (maybe Branch) and honestly I'd be surprised if some personnel guys weren't fired in NE. Do you not know our type?

I expect oh c'mon no way and then watch and you'll think alright maybe he is.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
The #Titans are elevating WR Josh Gordon from the practice squad for tonight’s game against the #Bills, his agent @ZacHiller tells me.

“Josh just needs opportunities to prove that he’s still the incredible player and talent he’s always been,” Hiller said.

Jesse Morse, MD @DrJesseMorse

Wonder if this means Kyle Philips is out tonight?

Brian Burke @TheBrianBurke
The videos of him at their last practice- he looks like he's trying to avoid moving the arm/shoulder at all. One-handed catches away from body, etc. With the non-contact jersey. If he plays, he could land on it once and be done for the day.

Jesse Morse, MD @DrJesseMorse

Pretty classic AC sprain

Titans WR Kyle Philips (shoulder) is active for Week 2 against the Bills.​

Philips was questionable throughout the week after missing Thursday's practice and being a limited participant on Friday and Saturday. Tennessee's slot receiver led the team in receiving last week and could be relied again heavily against a potent Bills offense. The Titans also ruled out CB Kristian Fulton, RB Julius Chestnut, RB Dontrell Hilliard, LB Derek Tuszka and OL Jamarco Jones for Week 2 against the Bills.
Sep 19, 2022, 5:53 PM ET

Kyle Philips caught 1-of-1 targets for five yards in the Titans' Week 2 loss to the Bills.​

After catching six passes for 66 yards in his Week 1 debut against the Giants, Philips managed just one reception on Monday night against the Bills. Philips dealt with a shoulder injury throughout the week and was questionable leading up to this game, but it's worth a reminder that the Titans slot receiver is still a fifth-round rookie. In addition to his underwhelming receiving day, Philips also muffed a punt that resulted in a turnover. These sorts of up-and-down days are to be expected of any rookie, which is why we should temper our expectations for Philips in Week 3 against the Raiders.
Sep 20, 2022, 12:40 AM ET

What the heck happened to this guy since Week 1? Opened the season with 6 catches for 66 yards on 9 targets, and now he's seen 3 targets total the last two games with Burks out injured?

What the heck happened to this guy since Week 1? Opened the season with 6 catches for 66 yards on 9 targets, and now he's seen 3 targets total the last two games with Burks out injured?

Got injured and feels like he lost his mojo after that.

I cannot find any update on this kid.
What was the injury (hamstring?)/ status of recovery?
I realize the kid was preseason highlights but other than Week 1, nothing.
Any insight, value, long term prospects?
I got him as a throw-in and know nothing of him.

Last edited:
He won't say how much weight he gained but everyone has noticed and commented about it.

The Titans are shifting to a typical 3 WR offense. Last year was 2 TE and he kept getting injured.
He's the clear lead for the slot and looks every bit as great running routes as he did last year.

"Everyone" seems to think the Titans have an open slot position and are writing/tweeting how this guy or that guy will earn a spot there.
He has it and I don't think it's possible someone beats out Welker Jr unless he gets hurt.
The open spot is opposite Burks.

They do all move around but I don't think it'll be anywhere near often enough to worry about it for FF

AtoZ Sports Nashville @AtoZSports
Kyle Philips content for the people. #Titans

Mike Herndon @MikeHerndonNFL
Philips was targeted on 36% of the routes he ran in his first NFL game, going for 66 yards on 6 catches including 3 catches and forcing a def holding call on what should have been a game winning drive.

If he can stay healthy, I think he’s going to be a big part of this offense.

The Titans’ official website reports Kyle Philips has “put on some extra weight and has been solid.”

It is the first we have heard of Philips this offseason. The second-year pro is most likely locked into three-receiver sets as the primary slot man, though he was limited to four rookie appearances by a hamstring injury. Listed at 5-11, 189 pounds, Philips is not in dire need of bulking up, but it couldn’t hurt. Philips is a name to keep in mind in deeper PPR leagues but isn’t currently worth drafting in 12-team leagues.

Titans WRs coach Rob Moore has been pleased with Kyle Philips’ training camp.

“Anytime he gets in one-on-one situations, he has the ability to separate with his quickness,” Moore said. “He’s got really good route imagination to be able to create separation. He has caught the ball really well. I’m really pleased with where he is.” For his part, Philips has said he has bulked up after ending last season on injured reserve, but that he still feels more explosive. Still on track to get the first crack in the middle between DeAndre Hopkins and Treylon Burks, sophomore Philips could stack up some cheap WR4/5 PPR points.

Philips in the Titans’ second preseason game suffered an MCL injury that could cost him the first few games of the regular season. Philips, a slot receiver who missed much of 2022 with a hamstring issue, had drawn praise from Tennessee coaches during training camp. His absence — along with Treylon Burks (knee) — will open up regular season snaps for Racey McMath and Mason Kinsey. DeAndre Hopkins, meanwhile, is set to dominate targets in the Titans offense.

Reactions: Bri
Titans placed WR Kyle Philips (knee) on injured reserve.
Philips suffered an MCL injury in the Titans’ second preseason game, and it was speculated that he could miss as much as six weeks. His placement on injured reserve ensures that he’ll miss at least the first four games of the season, but he’ll be eligible to return in Week 5 against the Colts. The second-year slot receiver had a six reception game in his rookie debut last season but finished the year with a line of 8-66-0 due to an ongoing hamstring injury. He could be worth a deep PPR stash once healthy, but it’s safe to leave him on waivers for now.

Titans placed WR Kyle Philips (knee) on injured reserve.
Philips suffered an MCL injury in the Titans’ second preseason game, and it was speculated that he could miss as much as six weeks. His placement on injured reserve ensures that he’ll miss at least the first four games of the season, but he’ll be eligible to return in Week 5 against the Colts. The second-year slot receiver had a six reception game in his rookie debut last season but finished the year with a line of 8-66-0 due to an ongoing hamstring injury. He could be worth a deep PPR stash once healthy, but it’s safe to leave him on waivers for now.
Thanks for this. Philips was one of the guys I had to cut going into the draft, but didn't want to. Now I picked him up and stashed him on IR, for now at least. Likely a cut again once he comes off IR. But worth a shot.

Titans HC Mike Vrabel said he expects WR Kyle Philips (knee) to practice next week.

Philips is looking to return from an MCL injury suffered in the preseaon that landed him on short-term injured reserve to start the season. The second-year slot receiver would be eligible to return in Week 5 if he’s healthy enough, but he may still be a short way off from returning. Philips surprised everyone in Week 1 of last season when he caught eight passes for 66 yards in his NFL debut, but ultimately saw his season cut short to injury. He could turn into a preferred target of Ryan Tannehill once he’s fully returned and may have some WR4 upside for people in deeper leagues.

Titans WR Kyle Philips (knee) said he feels good and hopes to play in Week 5 against the Colts.

Philips has practiced all week with the team and is on track to play Sunday. The second-year slot receiver should provide an immediate boost to a passing attack that ranks near the bottom of the league, especially with Treylon Burks (knee) already ruled out. Philips isn’t worth throwing into fantasy lineups this week but fantasy managers should monitor him to see how heavily involved he is over the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread