What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, KC (1 Viewer)

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 3-of-6 targets for 101 yards in Week 9 against the Patriots.

Valdes-Scantling led the Packers in receiving despite getting shutout in the first half. He got most of his yardage on a pair of impressive contested catches late in the third quarter. The Patriots shadowed Valdes-Scantling with Stephon Gilmore after that, but this is another encouraging game. Valdes-Scantling has over 100 yards or a touchdown in four straight weeks. He's locked in as the starter opposite Davante Adams for the rest of the season.

Nov 4 - 11:58 PM

What are the odds MVS keeps the #2 WR job when Allison is back?

Debating who is the better hold: MVS vs. DJ Moore.

I debated that Sunday.  Went with MVS for that day...but part of that was to have in flex as my backup plan for Michel.  Worked out well that day.  I think they are close as far as where to rank (partly because of Moore’s use on runs).

Long run though...yes I think MVS will be the guy opposite Adams.  And for that I’d rank him above Moore.

I have the exact situation, both guys have some pretty tasty match ups coming up, Carolina has so many mouths to feed, I'm banking on MVS from here on out, Cobb can't seem to stay healthy and will be a free agent next year, insert MVS here.

There's also a strong possibility that Allison may have a hard time staying healthy this year as he continues to battle with back to back injuries, plus MVS is faster,  smarter as he's picking up the play book quickly in his first year not to mention earning Rogers trust. Rogers missed him early on a deep ball too, when they were down Rogers looked for him and he made two really big time catches; the fact that Gilmore moved over to cover MVS speaks volumes.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/05/packers-rookie-marquez-valdes-scantling

Last edited by a moderator:
Eights said:
I have the exact situation, both guys have some pretty tasty match ups coming up, Carolina has so many mouths to feed, I'm banking on MVS from here on out, Cobb can't seem to stay healthy and will be a free agent next year, insert MVS here.

There's also a strong possibility that Allison may have a hard time staying healthy this year as he's continues to battle with back to back injuries, plus MVS is faster,  smarter as he's picking up the play book quickly in his first year not to mention earning Rogers trust. Rogers missed him early on a deep ball too, when they were down Rogers looked for him and he made two really big time catches; the fact that Gilmore moved over to cover MVS speaks volumes.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/05/packers-rookie-marquez-valdes-scantling
This. BB is always looking to take away a team's top weapon. When they moved their top CB on to this kid that should be a huge sign.

This. BB is always looking to take away a team's top weapon. When they moved their top CB on to this kid that should be a huge sign.
I honestly think MVS has more play making ability than Adams. Not saying he's better now, but I think he eventually passes Adams and has a better career. He's certainly light years ahead of where Adams was at this point of Adams' career. I absolutely love this guy- he has amazing potential. Poor man's Sutton, but with separation speed

I chose to draft St. Brown over MVS.  I was almost feeling justified in that decision a couple of weeks ago when St. Brown was seeing slightly more targets.  After seeing MVS look like Donald Driver reincarnate last night while Rodgers was clearly frustrated by St. Brown's inability to line up correctly, I would have to admit that MVS is waaaaay ahead of St. Brown.  It sure looks like he will be the #2 for the foreseeable future. 

I honestly think MVS has more play making ability than Adams. Not saying he's better now, but I think he eventually passes Adams and has a better career. He's certainly light years ahead of where Adams was at this point of Adams' career. I absolutely love this guy- he has amazing potential. Poor man's Sutton, but with separation speed
Agree on that wholeheartedly. I didn't think Adams would ever be good tbh. I remember he couldn't hang onto a ball to save his life early on in his career. I don't think I've drafted him ever since

I chose to draft St. Brown over MVS.  I was almost feeling justified in that decision a couple of weeks ago when St. Brown was seeing slightly more targets.  After seeing MVS look like Donald Driver reincarnate last night while Rodgers was clearly frustrated by St. Brown's inability to line up correctly, I would have to admit that MVS is waaaaay ahead of St. Brown.  It sure looks like he will be the #2 for the foreseeable future. 
Plus he doesn't run the right routes. I'm not sure ESB is on this roster next year TBH

Agree on that wholeheartedly. I didn't think Adams would ever be good tbh. I remember he couldn't hang onto a ball to save his life early on in his career. I don't think I've drafted him ever since
Remember this?

Introducing the 2016 Packers Offense Drinking Game

1 Drink

Davante Adams gets his hands on the football but doesn’t make the catch

2 Drinks

Davante Adams gets his hands on the football and can’t make the catch, but draws a defensive pass interference penalty

Thanks for this.

Yeah... Allison is done in GB unless he signs very cheap, which is possible, but he's likely WR3/4. But I still think GB dips it's foot into this really deep 2019 WR class in round 1 or 2 depending on how the board falls. 

I can definitely see GB grabbing a WR for the slot position in the draft, signing Allison to be WR4, and then ESB/Moore... one of them is odd man out

MVS has a dream opportunity to earn Rodgers' trust and cement himself in their future plans. If he shows well enough the rest of this season maybe he can convince the Packers to use their draft picks on other needs. I mean they did draft 3 WR this season and they are typically a patient organization when it comes to drafting and developing talent. 

Wasn't watching the game that closely yesterday but it appeared that after MVS 1st target he didn't see the field for a while and St Brown was out there. St Brown did nothing and MVS made plays his 2nd go round 

Thanks for this.

Yeah... Allison is done in GB unless he signs very cheap, which is possible, but he's likely WR3/4. But I still think GB dips it's foot into this really deep 2019 WR class in round 1 or 2 depending on how the board falls. 

I can definitely see GB grabbing a WR for the slot position in the draft, signing Allison to be WR4, and then ESB/Moore... one of them is odd man out
More on Allison - to miss significant time & possible surgery due to “core injury”

Coach Mike McCarthy called it a "big" and "significant" injury that sounds like it could threaten the rest of Allison's season. Allison recently visited Dr. William Meyer in Philadelphia, a known expert on groin and core-muscle matters. If Allison does require a procedure, Marquez Valdes-Scantling would be further locked in as Green Bay's No. 2 wideout behind Davante Adams.

MVS played 60 snaps (81.1%). St. Brown played 15 snaps (20.3%).
I think the majority of that was at the end of the game where they were trying to do certain formations and possibly shift coverage away from MVS by having him in and out of the game. By then he was drawing Gilmore, and MVS is their best deep threat; he's faster than Adams and even ESB I believe... but ESB doesn't seem to be on the same level as MVS as noted previously

Lol. I totally stumbled into this guy last night.

Picked up J. Smith for Gronk as insurance, but then realized by Sunday night I didn't even need Gronk/Smith. Then looked for this week's potential waiver wire flyer and dropped J. Smith for MVS.

Yeah I know...cool story bro.

Don't forget the rookie WR that was getting as much talk in training camp as the others but went on IR - Kumerow.  I think he was superior to ESB from what little I could watch.  GB may be set for a while at the WR position. 

Don't forget the rookie WR that was getting as much talk in training camp as the others but went on IR - Kumerow.  I think he was superior to ESB from what little I could watch.  GB may be set for a while at the WR position. 
Hes not a rookie. hes going to be 28 years old next year. 

J'Mon Moore is actually doing quite well from what I hear. I think he will pass ESB. Kumerow could as well, you're right, but hes no rookie

Allison to IR

If you're not on this train already, you're too late. Best pay up and ride this for ROS
He might be getting a teams best CB. Isn't that what happened in NE? If so, be in the lookout for shutdown corners on the schedule. 

You think MSV gets the #1 corner over D. Adams?
I think Belichick (or DC)  moved Gilmore over because he didn't want any big plays and they were running Adams on short routes most of the night. He only had 40 yards on his 6 catches.  Don't need your best DB on those types of routes.  That's not the norm for GB, so I think Adams draws the #1 moving forward.

I think Belichick (or DC)  moved Gilmore over because he didn't want any big plays and they were running Adams on short routes most of the night. He only had 40 yards on his 6 catches.  Don't need your best DB on those types of routes.  That's not the norm for GB, so I think Adams draws the #1 moving forward.
This is more in line with my thinking.  Perhaps if you have a good #2 (lengthy) and your #1 (speed guy) can keep up with MSV better than maybe you switch the #1 over to MSV, but Adams is head and shoulder above MSV.

MVS is the consistent deep threat they haven't had since Nelson in 2014. I didn't think he'd be putting up 100 yard games this year so it's a nice surprise.

Absolutely. 

Rodgers came out this week and said his suggestion to solving our problems to is to feed Adams. Doesn't mean MVS can't do what he's been doing- flirt with 100 yards on 6 targets. That's very much the Jordy Nelson role. This offense has supported 2-3 viable fantasy WRs in the past and there's no reason they can't now... aside from awful play calling from McCarthy. MVS is locked and loaded. 

On a side note, add J'Mon Moore to your watch list next, while everyone else falls over themselves to grab ESB. 

Belichick has a history of putting his #1 CB on the opposing teams #2 WR and then playing bracket coverage against the opposing teams #1 WR.

Belicheck is the exception. 

Absolutely. 

Rodgers came out this week and said his suggestion to solving our problems to is to feed Adams. Doesn't mean MVS can't do what he's been doing- flirt with 100 yards on 6 targets. That's very much the Jordy Nelson role. This offense has supported 2-3 viable fantasy WRs in the past and there's no reason they can't now... aside from awful play calling from McCarthy. MVS is locked and loaded. 

On a side note, add J'Mon Moore to your watch list next, while everyone else falls over themselves to grab ESB. 
J'mon is the better talent but risky because he drops passes and that won't fly with Rodgers. 

Belichick has a history of putting his #1 CB on the opposing teams #2 WR and then playing bracket coverage against the opposing teams #1 WR.
That is exactly what they did for part of the game.  Adams drew Gilmore for most of the 1st half.  They switched Gilmore to MVS later in the game and bracketed Adams.  

J'mon is the better talent but risky because he drops passes and that won't fly with Rodgers. 
That's been the reason he has been inactive so much. I'm hearing he's improving. It's the reason I sold ESB on the cheap-ish (although I did just flip that trade piece for something better)

2019. MVS is the #2 and E. St. Brown is the #3. Grab 'em both if you can.
This, but MVS is already the #2 and will be the rest of the way. Guy is legitimately a good football player (not just a deep threat), and makes his 4.37 speed look effortless.  

That's been the reason he has been inactive so much. I'm hearing he's improving. It's the reason I sold ESB on the cheap-ish (although I did just flip that trade piece for something better)
Hes' the best of the three as far as upside. I owned him preseason. I own the other 2 but will keel a close eye on him.

Absolutely. 

I like this. We all know how comfortable Rogers was with Jordy out there... if MVS can settle into that role, BOOM!

I've got him in over Golladay this week as WR3.
Any special reasoning behind this? I also have both but with Diggs on bye am playing Golladay over MVS, Davis, and Godwin at WR2.  Golladay seems locked in the WR1A or 1B role in Detroit and the matchup this week isn't bad. Neither is Green Bay's, but MVS doesn't seem to get as many targets (perhaps yet, I'll agree).

Any special reasoning behind this? I also have both but with Diggs on bye am playing Golladay over MVS, Davis, and Godwin at WR2.  Golladay seems locked in the WR1A or 1B role in Detroit and the matchup this week isn't bad. Neither is Green Bay's, but MVS doesn't seem to get as many targets (perhaps yet, I'll agree).
Stafford can't be trusted to be  a man and throw to his best WR.

Stafford can't be trusted to be  a man and throw to his best WR.
You certainly seem to follow Stafford more closely than I. And I can't argue with you based on on-the-field results this year.

A lot of the sacks last week seemed to be more on Stafford not making a read and throw than on the o-line. He reminded me of Derek Carr.

You certainly seem to follow Stafford more closely than I. And I can't argue with you based on on-the-field results this year.

A lot of the sacks last week seemed to be more on Stafford not making a read and throw than on the o-line. He reminded me of Derek Carr.
Most if not all were on him because he's afraid to throw it. He's waiting for the open receiver. Rich Gannon really laid into his ineptness this past week. 2 weeks after Boomer E. did the same. They see it, everyone sees it. 4th Q stat king. 3 Qs of laying eggs. 1 Q of frantically trying to catch up. He was doing the same with Calvin Johnson. He would go numbers games with 1-2 targets in the 1st half. That's a bad QB.

Pretty much this.  Golladay trending down vs. a very good defense this week on the road.
I am in the same boat and starting MVS.  MVS last 4 weeks in my .5 ppr: 14.9, 14.2, 11.1 and 14.0 vs Golladay last 4 weeks: 19.8, 5.7,   2.2 and 8.4.

C-Bound said:
Pretty much this.  Golladay trending down vs. a very good defense this week on the road.
IMO, rather have my QB throwing to my WR 5 times standing up than 50 times from laying on his back. 

lod001 said:
Most if not all were on him because he's afraid to throw it. He's waiting for the open receiver. Rich Gannon really laid into his ineptness this past week. 2 weeks after Boomer E. did the same. They see it, everyone sees it. 4th Q stat king. 3 Qs of laying eggs. 1 Q of frantically trying to catch up. He was doing the same with Calvin Johnson. He would go numbers games with 1-2 targets in the 1st half. That's a bad QB.
Calvin Johnson career targets:

1st quarter - 287

2nd quarter - 364

3rd quarter - 276

4th quarter - 378

Users who are viewing this thread