What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, KC (1 Viewer)

I was looking at the WRs in this draft, and wondering how many I'd rather have than MVS. Not MVS at 10 million, but if they were the same price. I came up with at least 9, and a case for 16. 

MVS is a #4 WR talent. He couldn't make it work with Aaron Rodgers, despite infinite chances to step up and be the #2. This might be the worst overpay of FA(at least at WR) so far, and that is saying a lot. 
I don't know, the Zay Jones for the same price is pretty bad.  Neither of them are more than wr4 types.  But we can at least put the blame on good ol' Trent for that one.

I don't know, the Zay Jones for the same price is pretty bad.  Neither of them are more than wr4 types.  But we can at least put the blame on good ol' Trent for that one.
I think Zay Jones is a better WR than MVS, but yeah, still a lot of stupid contracts.

I was looking at the WRs in this draft, and wondering how many I'd rather have than MVS. Not MVS at 10 million, but if they were the same price. I came up with at least 9, and a case for 16. 

MVS is a #4 WR talent. He couldn't make it work with Aaron Rodgers, despite infinite chances to step up and be the #2. This might be the worst overpay of FA(at least at WR) so far, and that is saying a lot. 
Similar reaction

What is the problem with MVS? Route running skills? Field awareness? Lateral quickness? 

Barry Jackson informing us of the Parker Market and Philly is one of them. We might not be done in the Draft yet. His salary is super appealing for a lot of teams wanting someone opposite a strong No 1. When Parker is healthy and working against the 2nd best DB on the field he is pretty good. 

1200/9 in 14 games in 2019

1200/6 in the last 19 games over '20 and '21, injuries have derailed him and much of his career. 

1st Rd Selection, Top 20 pick and has started 64 games in 7 Seasons, missed 3 out of 7 seasons since entering the NFL, the knock on him was he was made of glass in college, think I agree. 

He has terrible hands and plays Wide Receiver. 

2019 46%

2021 47%

Hall of Fame QB throwing him the football
Lots of long throws which aren't easy completions. Adams was a target hog ... also got the best CB and most coverage by defenses. If AR trusted him, he should've done better. I think it's more than the hands.

Lots of long throws which aren't easy completions. Adams was a target hog ... also got the best CB and most coverage by defenses. If AR trusted him, he should've done better. I think it's more than the hands.
Let me repeat 47% catch ratio last year $10M

CW Jr, the WR the Phins just got 😉  yeah he was almost 74% last year, every time you chucked it his way you were rewarded with a first down practically. 45 Rec-27 first downs.  $7M per season

Last edited by a moderator:
He will make really tough catches and drop easy ones. Just inconsistent outside of what I think are reasonable tolerances.

Great WR5 for fantasy. If you need to play him you're probably looking a L anyways but if he hits big, which he sometimes does, you might make the L a W.

I feel like we're going over which thirty million dollar turd is better debating between the two.
That's kind of true, though I think MVS is a legitimately bad WR, Jones isn't good, but is at least competent. 

What is the problem with MVS? Route running skills? Field awareness? Lateral quickness? 
All those things, plus hands.

He's a 1 trick pony, who doesn't even do that trick all that well. He's tall and fast, but he doesn't have any real skills, he's just athletic. 

I think they'd have been better off signing any of the: Julio, Fuller, Landry vet trio. Hell, even lesser vets like Sanders, Hilton, or even bringing back Watkins. Even Beckham, who isn't likely to be ready before Halloween.

That's kind of true, though I think MVS is a legitimately bad WR, Jones isn't good, but is at least competent. 
I just feel like either of the two of them could be subbed out for a practice squad guy with no drop in production at the position. MVS might technically be worse, but if the guys who can't make the team are at least equal to the both of them does it even matter?

The Athletic's Nate Taylor reports Marquez Valdes-Scantling was the "best receiver" during the Chiefs' offseason program. 

Taylor also hyped up MVS' "strong connection" with Patrick Mahomes in June. Translation, this is just one reporter's opinion, but Valdes-Scantling did appear to finally be adding different levels to his deep game in Green Bay last season. It is the deep game, of course, where he will be most keenly needed in Kansas City following Tyreek Hill's departure, but fantasy managers should never say never to Valdes-Scantling perhaps flirting with WR3 relevance in this targets-needy offense. WR4 is much more likely. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 7, 2022, 3:04 PM ET

The Athletic’s Nate Taylor reports Patrick Mahomes has displayed a “strong connection” with Marquez Valdes-Scantling in offseason practices.​

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who signed a three-year, $30 million deal with KC in March, said he is “embracing the opportunity” to play with Mahomes while learning a new role in a complex Andy Reid offense. Mainly used as a deep target in Green Bay, Valdes-Scantling averaged 18.5 yards per target over the past three seasons. With Tyreek Hill in Miami and his 159 targets vacated from the Kansas City offense, MVS feels he can come into his own as a complete receiver. Taylor said Mahomes completed a number of deep passes to Valdes-Scantling during minicamp sessions, but his best work came on “crisp, intermediate routes." MVS will surely battle for targets with teammates JuJu Smith-Schuster, Skyy Moore, and Mecole Hardman. Figuring out who will emerge as Kansas City's WR1 will be the (potentially frustrating) goal of many fantasy managers this summer.

RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 10, 2022, 12:54 PM ET

Marquez Valdes-Scantling said he is out of concussion protocol and will be ready for Week 1.​

Valdes-Scantling was held out of the Chiefs' preseason finale while recovering from the concussion. Andy Reid downplayed the issue, saying he "banged his head" after the game. With two weeks to get in his final practice reps with Patrick Mahomes, the concussion is a non-issue. Going as a WR4 in fantasy drafts, MVS is sure to pop up for a few massive weeks as Mahomes' primary deep option.
SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter
Aug 29, 2022, 1:20 PM ET

I’ve picked this guy up over the years as the hot waiver add. He’s one of those guys that always did nothing when I started him, but blew up for long TDs when playing against me.

For whatever reason that keeps me from even sniffing him on my bench.

He’s pretty cheap in most drafts as a dart throw. The real question is whether or not he can catch that dart.

It’s also crazy to me that a guy like this is worth $10M a year.

MVS is going a legit 50-55 picks after JuJu. That is insane considering there shouldn't be a massive talent difference between the two and Skyy Moore/Mecole Hardman (#MecoleMestake) shouldn't threaten his workload until midseason at the earliest.

MVS is going a legit 50-55 picks after JuJu. That is insane considering there shouldn't be a massive talent difference between the two and Skyy Moore/Mecole Hardman (#MecoleMestake) shouldn't threaten his workload until midseason at the earliest.
Juju is on a 2.5m contract. MVS is getting 30m garunteed. Am I using flawed reasoning here?

I have had him in a dynasty league since his rookie year(14 teams, 36 roster spots, start 3-4 wr) .

He starts for me occasionally, because in a league that deep everyone starts eventually. I always hate when i have to plug him into the lineup. Even when D Adams missed time MVS was never that good.

I am holding onto him because he is too valuable to drop, and too worthless to trade. No way i take him in a best ball or a redraft league though.

Juju is on a 2.5m contract. MVS is getting 30m garunteed. Am I using flawed reasoning here?
Maybe not but JuJu is a 2nd round pick with a 1,400+ yard season under his belt. MVS is a 5th round guy who's best yards/game season is less than all but JuJu's worst and that was last season when Roethlisberger was completely broken while MVS was working with a 4x pro bowl, 2x AP All Pro, 2x League MVP seasons QB for his entire career.

I lean towards JuJu.

Last edited:
Maybe not but JuJu is a 2nd round pick with a 14,00+ yard season under his belt. MVS is a 5th round guy who's best yards/game season is less than all but JuJu's worst and that was last season when Roethlisberger was completely broken while MVS was working with a 4x pro bowl, 2x AP All Pro, 2x League MVP seasons.

I lean towards JuJu.
The NFL people knew all that stuff and still it worked out the way it did.

Very flawed.

#1 - contracts are more about leverage than anything else. Teams are also spending UFA in a vaccuum - if they get no WR they are left grasping. It's kind of like a fantasy draft - if there's a QB run you better draft Cousins from the 6.01 because you have no idea what's coming back to you 22 picks later.
#2 - you're incorrect, he's not $30M guaranteed. He's $8.56M guaranteed with $4.8M 2022 cap hit. JJSS is $3.7M cash/cap.
#3 - that's a sunk cost now. Water under the bridge. Those numbers reflect the market from March, not their gameplanning in September.

Back to #1. JJSS had less leverage due to the health conditions but he also got the UFA lottery ticket next year. If he balls out he can get back into the $18M range very quickly. MVS is locked into a 3 year deal. Teams tend to pay less on shorter contracts because of the risk of increasing costs sooner.

In general I find contracts a very poor predictor of fantasy success.

Current Contract​

Marquez Valdes-Scantling signed a 3 year, $30,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,000,000. In 2022, Valdes-Scantling will earn a base salary of $2,560,000, a signing bonus of $6,000,000, a roster bonus of $340,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,880,000 and a dead cap value of $8,660,000.

Contract Notes:
  • $8.56M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary)
  • $6.44M of 2023 salary fully guarantees the 3rd league day of 2023 (injury guaranteed at signing)

Back to #1. JJSS had less leverage due to the health conditions but he also got the UFA lottery ticket next year
That's how I read it too. JuJu bet on himself.

Sometimes that pays off and sometimes it doesn't, he already missed time with an injury, but it should provide a lot of motivation.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught all four of his targets for 44 yards in the Chiefs' Week 1 win against the Cardinals.

He also has a carry for -3 yards. A 17-yard reception in the first half was the highlight of Valdes-Scantling's first regular season game with Kanas City. He was a mainstay in two-receiver sets for the Chiefs, playing ahead of Mecole Hardman. MVS is certainly Patrick Mahomes' best downfield pass catcher in a Chiefs offense without Tyreek Hill. He'll be a more interesting fantasy option in what will probably be a more competitive affair in Week 2 against the Chargers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I own a share of MVS in a deep league, and I'm curious what people think of him as a handcuff of sorts for Juju. If Juju missed time with injury, would it be realistic for MVS to see a wider role beyond the go routes he's known for running? It seems like there aren't a lot of warm bodies besides Hardman who could take on such a role.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 4-of-7 targets for 48 yards in the Chiefs' Week 3 loss to the Colts.

MVS' seven targets were a close third on the team behind Travis Kelce and JuJu Smith-Schuster's eight apiece. But Patrick Mahomes overshot MVS early on a third-and-long. Expected to serve as Mahomes' deep threat, MVS hasn't done anything down the field through three weeks and has yet to score a touchdown. He's turned 18 targets into a scoreless 10/105 line. Valdes-Scantling plays a bunch of snaps and is top three on the team in routes, but he's little more than a low-floor WR3/4 headed into Week 4 against the Bucs.

- NBCSportsEDGE

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Marquez Valdes-Scantling (abdomen) is planning to play in Week 4 against the Bucs.​

Valdes-Scantling did not practice Thursday, raising concerns about his Week 4 status. He returned to practice the following day and should be good to go versus Tampa Bay. MVS has struggled to mesh with Patrick Mahomes, averaging just 35 yards through three weeks. He remains on the radar as a FLEX option but is quickly falling into WR4/5 territory.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 2, 2022, 8:50 AM ET

Notorious for drops, substantial contract, plays for the CHIEFS with Mahomes. Does MV-S offer any upside, a flyer cuz he's on the FA?

Marques Valdes-Scantling caught 0-of-3 targets in the Chiefs' Week 6 loss to the Bills.

Valdes-Scantling, who over the past couple weeks had (kind of) separated himself from the other Kansas City receivers, had a short touchdown called back on a penalty early in the game. His 7.5 percent target share was hardly stellar. JuJu Smith-Schuster led all KC wideouts with five targets on the day. Valdes-Scantling will continue as a shaky WR3/flex option in Week 7 against a tough Niners secondary.
- NBCSportsEDGE

Marques Valdes-Scantling caught 3-of-4 targets for 111 yards in the Chiefs' Week 7 win against the 49ers.

The highlight of MVS's day came on a 57-yard grab -- a reception that could have been a long touchdown if Patrick Mahomes had led his receiver a little bit more. Valdes-Scantling continues to run as the team's No. 2 wideout behind JuJu Smith-Schuster and should prove frustrating for fantasy purposes, just as he did during his years with the Packers. Sunday marked his highest yardage total as a Chief.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Marquez Valdes-Scantling was held without a catch on one target in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LVII victory over the Eagles.​

A critical cog in the Chiefs’ post-Tyreek Hill Band-Aid, Valdes-Scantling posted the second most yards of his career (687) but did not show meaningful improvement from his Packers production. In fact, he arguably regressed even as he migrated to one of the league’s few upgrades on Aaron Rodgers. MVS scored only two touchdowns and failed to notch a 60-plus yard catch for the first time in his career. He had just one 100-yard effort during the regular season, though he did save his biggest effort of the year for the AFC Championship Game. Now thoroughly proven to be a one-trick pony role player, MVS is due $8.56 million in 2023. None of it is guaranteed, and the Chiefs could move on from the deep threat with little cap discomfort. They will still likely opt to keep him around rather than risk losing any element of a deep threat.
Feb 12, 2023, 10:53 PM ET

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 2-of-2 targets for 48 yards in the Chiefs’ Week 1 loss to the Lions.

That underwhelming statline was actually the Chiefs’ best receiving performance in a dismal loss. MVS’ 34-yard reception late in the second quarter was also a rare highlight for a poor-performing receiver corps. MVS decided to catch a potential hospital ball to set the Chiefs up for a touchdown two plays later. Good stuff, but not anything that is going to move Valdes-Scantling beyond role player status. Even with the Chiefs’ receiver woes, MVS is a one-trick pony whose low floor isn’t matched by a high ceiling. He is barely rosterable in 12-team leagues.

The chiefs badly overpaid for this guy...everyone said at the time and its turned out to be very true
Sadly he may have been their best receiver last night. Big catch taking a hit near end of half. However I agree, he is overrated and hopefully Ross takes over his role sometime this year and provides more consistency.

he is def their best receiver and had 2/2 on catches. They went away from him and not really sure but it seems like they should have fed him more.

Nagy play calling may not be the best approach for this team. just sayin..

he is def their best receiver and had 2/2 on catches. They went away from him and not really sure but it seems like they should have fed him more.

Nagy play calling may not be the best approach for this team. just sayin..

He might have been their best receiver last night, but he isn't a good receiver either. He really is only good at one thing.

Anybody watch the postgame tonight? Holy hell, I’ve never seen someone get run over by a bigger bus.

Yeah, he coulda caught it. Mahomes coulda also put it out there better. But holy hell, ESPN has just been absolutely killing him over and over and over. Just brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread