What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquise Brown, KC (1 Viewer)

Good question: there doesn't seem to be any recent news but he is sitting on my WW and if he is close I'd like to make the move

Good question: there doesn't seem to be any recent news but he is sitting on my WW and if he is close I'd like to make the move

Grab him now, he was a top 10 WR in PPR before he got hurt, and that’s counting the game he got hurt. This was without Hopkins, but I’m one who believes he could help him too. WR2 for sure?

Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said Marquise Brown (foot) is "getting close" to a return.​

Kingsbury noted that Brown may not play in Week 11 against the 49ers, but that he'd likely return after the team's Week 13 bye. If that's the case, Brown could still miss up to two more games, and three week's if we're thinking in terms of what it would mean to stash him in fantasy. Brown was on pace for a career year before going down, catching 43 passes for 485 yards and three touchdowns in his first six games. When he does return, he'll be in the conversation as a top-24 fantasy receiver, but he'll face added target competition with DeAndre Hopkins back in the mix and Rondale Moore emerging in the offense. Nov 14, 2022, 3:50 PM ET

Cardinals designated Marquise Brown (foot) to return from injured reserve.​

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Brown could be activated and play in the Cardinals' Week 11 game on Monday. Brown has 21 days to be officially activated from injured reserve. Last week, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Brown was getting close to returning. Arizona's offense has shown some signs of life with DeAndre Hopkins back in the lineup. Adding Brown to the mix could be a massive boon for the fantasy production of everyone involved. Once active, Brown will be in the WR2 conversation.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 16, 2022, 1:41 PM ET

Sort of interesting that Brown went down right before Hopkins came back, and now Ertz went down right before Brown came back. Cards were just never destined to have their 5 skill guys be Conner, Hopkins, Brown, Moore, and Ertz.

Marquise Brown (foot, injured reserve) participated in Thursday's practice.​

Per reporter Josh Weinfuss, Brown "didn’t take part in all the individual drills, (though when he did, he) looked healthy." Brown seems to be trending toward an immediate activation from injured reserve, but the Cardinals are proving quite cagey with their injury statuses. They also do not have to officially update Brown's work on the injury report. Especially with the Cardinals playing on Monday evening, fantasy managers might not have a satisfactory answer to Brown's Week 11 status when lineups are due Sunday morning.
SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter
Nov 17, 2022, 1:33 PM ET

What's the consensus, does having Hollywood back help or hurt DeHop's production? Guess the real question is...depends who's throwing the ball, eh?

What's the consensus, does having Hollywood back help or hurt DeHop's production? Guess the real question is...depends who's throwing the ball, eh?
It hurts, unless the TE position becomes a zero with Ertz out, or having another major weapon makes the passing game average 50+ more yards per game.

NFL Insider Jordan Schultz reports Cardinals WR Marquise Brown is unlikely to play on Monday Night Football against the 49ers.​

Schultz added that Brown is "feeling much better" and intends to play in Week 12. Brown's absence should provide further opportunity for Rondale Moore to continue a recent stretch of near every-down involvement for the Cardinals, while A.J. Green and Robbie Anderson should see additional run as well. Arizona has been largely unable to fully employ head coach Kliff Kingsbury's air raid offense due to personnel shortcomings, making Brown's eventual return something to monitor as far as the effectiveness of their offense goes.
SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter
Nov 20, 2022, 12:52 PM ET

Marquise Brown (foot) was not activated by the Cardinals ahead of Monday's matchup against the 49ers.​

It was announced on Sunday that the Cardinals were unlikely to activate Brown ahead of the team's Week 11 matchup with the 49ers, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise. His absence should provide plenty of opportunities for DeAndre Hopkins and Rondale Moore in Monday night's contest, as the two receivers prepare for their second consecutive game with Colt McCoy under center. Those banking on Brown playing will need to make sure he's out of their lineup. Any managers in need of quick replacement can take shots on A.J. Green or Robbie Anderson, while tight end Trey McBride is also worth considering in the FLEX if possible.
Nov 21, 2022, 4:27 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said "He wants to be out there, so if he can go, we'll know early this week" when asked about Marquise Brown.​

Brown has not had an injury status because he's still working on returning from injured reserve, so it sounds like we'll have to wait for more Kingsbury quotes to gauge his chances of playing in Week 12. With Arizona coming up on a Week 13 bye, it would not be surprising if they held out Brown and Kyler Murray for another week.
SOURCE: Tyler Drake on Twitter
Nov 22, 2022, 4:13 PM ET

This take of "holding out Kyler and Brown for another week because the bye is coming up" is weird. I mean, they'll probably do just that, it's the Cards, but are they looking at the standings? Seems like after the bye they'll probably have nothing to play for. Might as well rest them up til next year if they're worried about it.

This take of "holding out Kyler and Brown for another week because the bye is coming up" is weird. I mean, they'll probably do just that, it's the Cards, but are they looking at the standings? Seems like after the bye they'll probably have nothing to play for. Might as well rest them up til next year if they're worried about it.
Seems silly. If they are even 75% they should be playing. They absolutely need to beat the Chargers.

Seems silly. If they are even 75% they should be playing. They absolutely need to beat the Chargers.
I was thinking if they were 75% they would play in a must win divisional game vs. the 9ers too. Gotta be tanking at this point. Zero urgency. Guess Kliff knows he’s gone and doesn’t care.

Guess Kliff knows he’s gone and doesn’t care.

saw Matt Rhule on Good Morning Football (or whatever it's called - NFL network morning show); didn't watch it but immediately thought of Kliff.

Rhule got a 7-year, $62M deal to coach the Panthers (after going 47-43 in 7 years as a college coach.) he'll get $834K a month every month for the next 5 years unless he takes another job. amazing.

Kliff is extended through 2027. we don't know the exact details of his contract, it might have escalators, but it's believed to be at least $5.5M per year. (did I mention this guy was a losing college coach before he came to the desert to destroy the Bidwell's franchise? 35-40 in 6 years)

these owners are idiots.

what's Kingsbury's motivation? "oh, ****, I better knuckle down and get this turned around or I'll have to sit around 7,000 custom built home collecting $458K a month for the next five years. you feel me, Kleim? oh that's right, you got the same extension, nevermind. hey let's fire the OL coach for misconduct in Mexico so it looks like we might care."

Anyway....Hollywood. Best to wait n see after the Mike Williams debacle Sunday night. Supposedly (per beat writer) he won't be carrying an injury designation and will be a full participant this week. First practice is today; report will be here when they submit it this afternoon.

saw Matt Rhule on Good Morning Football (or whatever it's called - NFL network morning show); didn't watch it but immediately thought of Kliff.

Rhule got a 7-year, $62M deal to coach the Panthers (after going 47-43 in 7 years as a college coach.) he'll get $834K a month every month for the next 5 years unless he takes another job. amazing.

Kliff is extended through 2027. we don't know the exact details of his contract, it might have escalators, but it's believed to be at least $5.5M per year. (did I mention this guy was a losing college coach before he came to the desert to destroy the Bidwell's franchise? 35-40 in 6 years)

these owners are idiots.

what's Kingsbury's motivation? "oh, ****, I better knuckle down and get this turned around or I'll have to sit around 7,000 custom built home collecting $458K a month for the next five years. you feel me, Kleim? oh that's right, you got the same extension, nevermind. hey let's fire the OL coach for misconduct in Mexico so it looks like we might care."
I generally don't pay attention to coaching contracts, but that's amazing that these kind of contracts are handed out for unproven coaches. And yes, many owners are idiots. Having a lot of money doesn't always equate to smart when it comes to running a football team. Mark Davis giving Gruden a 10 year, 100 million contract and if rumors are true, can't afford to fire McDaniels even if he wanted to is another example of that. I guess since it doesn't count against the salary cap makes it OK :ponder:

these owners are idiots.

I generally don't pay attention to coaching contracts, but that's amazing that these kind of contracts are handed out for unproven coaches. And yes, many owners are idiots. Having a lot of money doesn't always equate to smart when it comes to running a football team. Mark Davis giving Gruden a 10 year, 100 million contract and if rumors are true, can't afford to fire McDaniels even if he wanted to is another example of that. I guess since it doesn't count against the salary cap makes it OK :ponder:

That’s what is super crazy. Hey if you’re way up on the Forbes 400, more power to ya, blow that cash however you want. But Mark Davis and Michael Bidwell are bottom 10 in net worth amongst NFL owners.

(granted, they’re ALL uber rich but it’s a relative thing)

You would think the guys who actually have to be profitable would be a little more risk averse and not color outside the lines.

Mark Davis giving Gruden a 10 year, 100 million contract
I don't think that is entirely fair. He couldn't have known Gruden would get socially assassinated or Ruggs would murder someone.

That was a top 5 offense and the team was moving in the right direction.

these owners are idiots.

That’s what is super crazy. Hey if you’re way up on the Forbes 400, more power to ya, blow that cash however you want. But Mark Davis and Michael Bidwell are bottom 10 in net worth amongst NFL owners.

(granted, they’re ALL uber rich but it’s a relative thing)

You would think the guys who actually have to be profitable would be a little more risk averse and not color outside the lines.
Why? It's not like Davis lost money after hiring Gruden or McDaniels.

He's easily richer today than he was five years ago.

Dortch (thumb) and Rondale (groin) both DNP today

Hollywood may be on a pitch count (beat writer speculation)…meaning possibly more snaps for AJG & Anderson? Believe that when I see it but…

also have Kyler coming back from missing 2 games with a hamstring

Dortch (thumb) and Rondale (groin) both DNP Thursday

Kyler FP all week

Brown expected to be active but on pitch count

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said he "expects" Marquise Brown (IR/leg) to play in Week 12's game against the Chargers.​

He'll need to be activated off injured reserve, but this means that the Cardinals will have both Brown and DeAndre Hopkins for the first time all season in Week 12. Kyler Murray's stock goes up a bit with this update. Brown will be on the WR2/WR3 borderline with some downside due to potential snap counts/potential re-injury.
SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter
Nov 25, 2022, 3:10 PM ET

by RotoWire Staff
“The Cardinals activated Brown(foot) from injured reserve Saturday, Darren Urban of the team's official site reports.
With the anticipation over, the Cardinals finally will have the wide receiver duo of DeAndre Hopkins and Brown available in the same game for the first time this season Sunday against the Chargers. Coach Kliff Kingsbury has said that Brown likely will be on a "pitch count" of sorts in his first action since Week 6, according to Urban. Still, Brown's presence could mean for a more potent Arizona offense, as he put together a 43-485-3 line on 64 targets in the first six contests of the campaign.”

First I have to decide who to cut to bring Brown off IR. Sutton or London. They’ve both been pretty worthless so I’m not sure there’s a wrong answer.
The next decision is do I start Brown tomorrow? I think I will start him since my WRs are my weakest position.

"Dortch (thumb) isn't expected to play Sunday versus the Chargers, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
The situation at wide receiver for the Cardinals has lacked clarity all week, but with Rondale Moore (groin) getting ruled out Friday and Marquise Brown (foot) being activated from IR on Saturday, Dortch is the final domino waiting to fall. That hasn't happened yet, but if he's deemed inactive about 90 minutes before Sunday's 4:05 p.m. ET kickoff, Arizona's likely available receivers will be DeAndre Hopkins, Brown, A.J. Green and Robbie Anderson, with Saturday signing Andre Baccellia and practice-squad call-up Pharoh Cooper the other candidates to be active."

With Schefty's report on Dortch, I'm rolling out Hollywood, although, admittedly, the spector of a "pitch count" is not optimal nor reassuring. Will likely need a long ball to pay, but with Hopkins getting the attention he demands, Kyler back at QB, and Hollywood having fresh legs....a deep bomb seems quite plausible.

Hollywood may be on a pitch count (beat writer speculation)…meaning possibly more snaps for AJG & Anderson? Believe that when I see it but…

Snaps: Marquise Brown 97%, Hopkins 74%, Green 53%, Anderson 42%

Yesterday, 11:02 pm

Marquise Brown caught 6-of-8 targets for 46 yards in the Cardinals' Week 12 loss to the Chargers.

Advice: Active for the first time since Week 6, Brown led the Cardinals in targets on an afternoon where Rondale Moore (groin) and Greg Dortch (wrist) were inactive. He was out-gained 87-46 by DeAndre Hopkins, however. He also watched Nuk and James Conner find the end zone. It was still a decent return for a player coming back from a foot injury. The question remains how targets will shake out when the Cardinals are at full strength. They are headed on bye before returning in Week 14 against the Patriots' plus pass defense.

Unstartable for the playoffs

What was he after six weeks, WR6? Or WR9? Somewhere around that.

That was fun.

McCoy favored Anderson (backups like throwing to backups when get thrust into games) tonight.

Maybe Dortch or Rondale gets healthy - the get the ball out quick bubble screen/slant guys might have value.

Nuk is a massive downgrade, and IMO Brown is not even Fkex worthy (but….Week 17 matchup…)

Oh well, that’s the hobby sometimes. Forward.

Marquise Brown caught 4-of-8 targets for 34 yards in the Cardinals' Week 14 loss to the Patriots.​

Brown saw increased slot usage with Rondale Moore still out of the lineup, which came at the direct detriment to Greg Dortch. What is most interesting is Brown's modest 9.4 average depth of target on the season in what has been heavy usage around the line of scrimmage. That role requires increased volume and efficiency in order to return fantasy utility, which has to be in question considering the Cardinals are likely to be forced to turn to backup quarterback Colt McCoy for the remainder of the season.
Dec 13, 2022, 12:30 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Marquise Brown (illness) is expected to play in Week 15 against the Broncos.​

Brown got in a limited session on Friday, so there was never a legitimate chance he missed Week 15. He should play without limitations versus the Broncos. With Colt McCoy as his quarterback, Brown enters Week 15 as a low-end WR2.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 18, 2022, 9:44 AM ET

Marquise Brown (illness) is active for Week 15 against the Broncos.​

It was announced early on Sunday that Brown was expected to suit up for this one, so this comes as little surprise. He and the Cardinals will look to take down a decimated Broncos team in what's sure to be an epic battle of backup quarterbacks. The Cardinals declared CB Byron Murphy, QB David Blough, CB Marco Wilson, CB Antonio Hamilton, OL Rashaad Coward, OL Wyatt Davis and and DL Zach Allen inactive for Week 15.
Dec 18, 2022, 2:41 PM ET

Marquise Brown (groin) is questionable for Arizona's Week 16 game against Tampa Bay.​

Brown got in another limited practice, which seems to imply that the injury suffered in practice isn't too serious. Kliff Kingsbury said that he is "confident" that Brown will play and said his receiver's groin "tightened up on him." Brown will be a WR3/FLEX at best with Trace McSorely slated to start.
Dec 23, 2022, 3:57 PM ET

Marquise Brown did not start in Week 16 and was limited to 66% of the snaps because he was late to a team meeting.​

Brown appeared on the injury report with a groin issue last Thursday. Perhaps this is a sign that said injury was not very serious. Brown told Arizona's in-house reporters that he'd been docked after the game on Sunday night. We expect Brown to be good to go for Week 17, but a low-scoring environment and Trace McSorely figure to continue to limit his fantasy upside.
SOURCE: Arizona Cardinals
Dec 27, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

Anyone rolling him out in the championship w/ Hopkins out?

Terrible QB behind him, but should get some targets if Blough can throw further downfield than the slot unlike Mcsorley.

Marquise Brown (wrist) is not on Arizona's final Week 18 injury report against San Francisco.​

He got in three full practices. Brown went for 6/61 on nine targets with David Blough under center last week and should be a respectable WR2/WR3 option in Week 18 with a game script that projects to equate to a ton of Arizona passing.
Jan 6, 2023, 5:50 PM ET

Cardinals Release DeAndre Hopkins: Fantasy Impact on Kyler Murray, Marquise Brown, and Others

Excerpt:

Marquise Brown

The biggest fantasy winner is Brown. With Hopkins suspended for the first six games last year, Brown looked like a difference-maker out of the gate, racking up a 43-485-3 receiving line in those six contests on a commendable 67% catch rate.

This was Brown at his best, as his reunion with his college quarterback looked like a boon for a franchise still bullish about its postseason chances. We know how things turned out. But heading into 2023, Brown is now positioned as the alpha. And while fantasy managers must wait patiently for Murray’s return, when it does happen, Brown should be a weekly fantasy starter. Given how things looked as recently as this morning, this is a marked improvement.

NFC OTAs takeaways: Key Fantasy Football nuggets for redraft and Dynasty on D.J. Moore, Marquise Brown, more

Excerpt:

With DeAndre Hopkins no longer on the Cardinals, the new No. 1 receiver in 2023 is Marquise Brown. This isn't a new role for Brown since he was the top receiver in Arizona to open 2022 when Hopkins was out for the first six games due to suspension. In those six games, Brown had 43 catches for 485 yards and three touchdowns on 64 targets. He had at least 11 PPR points in each game and scored more than 20 PPR points three times.

Now, Kyler Murray was healthy then, but Murray is coming off a torn ACL this season, so take that into account when evaluating Brown. The Cardinals also have a new coaching staff, and this offense should be different, potentially for the worst. But if Murray is ready by Week 1 then Brown has top-20 upside in all leagues. He's worth drafting as early as Round 5 in all formats.

Cardinals coach Jonathan Gannon said Hollywood Brown was dealing with a foot "issue" today and was held out for precautionary reasons.

Brown was held out because of previous foot issues, per Gannon -- he missed several games on IR last year while dealing with a foot injury. It's worth monitoring for signs that Brown could miss more time, but this probably is just taking it slow during minicamp for a vet that the Cardinals will be relying on in the regular season. We're not too concerned at the moment.
SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM ET

Thoughts for the upcoming season?

Seems in line to be the man on a pretty bad team. I'm guessing Arizona is behind in a lot of games, and he should be the main pass catcher. That being said, with Colt McCoy opening the season--the targets may be pretty lousy. Still not crystal clear on the return timeline for Kyler.

There's a point I'd like him, i just don't think he'll be there.

Marquise Brown caught 3-of-5 targets for 28 yards in the Cardinals’ Week 1 loss to the Commanders, adding a 29-yard rush.

There was no Josh Dobbs miracle for Brown, who saw the conservative, fill-in quarterback target Zach Ertz a ridiculous 10 times. Brown did at least avoid setbacks with his hamstring injury, but today confirmed the Cardinals’ offensive environment is going to be one of the very worst in the league, if not the worst. Brown will be a bottom-barrel WR3 for Week 2 against the Giants. Kyler Murray can’t get back soon enough.

- Rotoworld

Marquise Brown suffered a thumb injury in Thursday’s practice, getting in a “limited” session.
All the “limited” tag means is that Brown suffered the injury mid-session. It’s possible, if not probable, he got in zero reps afterward. It is certainly something to watch ahead of Friday’s session. Even another “limited” day would keep Brown on track to face the 49ers. If he’s DNP, he should be considered on the wrong side of questionable.

Users who are viewing this thread