What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Match Ups to Exploit/Avoid (1 Viewer)

laughinboy_2000

Footballguy
Lets jump into it boys, shall we? :hifive:

S.F. @ Atlanta:

Battle/DJax/Davis: Is TE Vernon Davis back and healthy? He sure looked like it last week catching six passes for 71 yards off of 10 targets and a TD catch. He was there only receiving option against the Saints, but Davis made the most out of it. QB Alex Smith had trouble finding any other receivers as they were surprisingly well covered by the Saints pass defense. The Falcons pass defense is ranked 20th in the league, so there is hope for some success through the air. With DJax hurting, Davis should again be very busy and could be in for a break out game. It’s just a matter of Smith getting Davis the ball. If DJax remains out with his injury, Battle will be seeing more targets come his way as well.

Sleeper Alert: Vernon Davis – 7 catches, 80+ yards, TD

White/Jenkins: Falcon WR Roddy White is emerging as the Falcons go-to receiver. In week seven, White caught all 8 passes that were thrown to him for 110 yards and a TD. His teammate Michael Jenkins also had a nice game catching six passes for 69 yards. They will have their hands full with a decent 49er’s secondary, but as the Saints showed last week, they can be had. I think Roddy White can continue his success and grab 6 passes for 80+ yards and a TD.

Sleeper Alert: Roddy White – 6 catches, 85+ yards, TD

Atlanta 21 SF 17

Carolina @ Tennessee:

Ugh… As a Panther homer, I can’t tell you how painful it is to watch this team. They have not won a home game in almost a year. The good news is they are 4-0 on the road this year which is where they will be in week 9. What gives?

Steve Smith: I’m going to stop listing two WRs here because other than #89, nobody else shows up. The Titans rank 18th in the league in pass defense, and that seems to be there weakness on defense. However, with David Carr possibly quarterbacking, they will almost certainly look better than that. You can’t bench Smith, but you may be able to milk 50+ yards receiving and a TD out of him.

Williams/Scaife: Titan’s QB Vince Young is not as bad as Carr, but he’s coming very close. In last weekend’s return from an injury, Young looked horrible passing for 42 yards overall. I expect a full dose of White and Chris Henry. Roydell Williams has an outside chance of a TD reception, and TE Bo Scaife may get some dump off passes. In other words, not much going on with the Titan receivers, so starting any of them is a HUGE risk.

Panthers 17 Titans 14

Arizona @ Tampa Bay:

Boldin/Fitz: Welcome back Anquan! Boldin returned in week 7 after a three week lay off due to an injured hip. He did not rack up very many yards, but he did haul in eight passes and two TDs. With Warner as the QB, Boldin seems to be his favorite target. Larry Fitzgerald is the yardage guy. He will give you plenty of yards receiving, but for some reason has trouble getting into the end zone with Warner at the helm and Boldin in the lineup. Boldin and Fitz will have a tough match up this weekend, but you can expect Boldin and Fitz to do their usual thing.

Galloway/Hilliard: Galloway and Hilliard continue to impress people this year with QB Jeff Garcia throwing them the ball. Last weekend was a tough match up against the Jags, but Galloway was still able to have a big game catching six passes for 117 yards and a TD. It won’t get any easier for Galloway and Hilliard this weekend as they face an improving Cards secondary that is ranked 8th in the league against the pass. Depending on how long Kurt Warner stays upright, this could be a long game for the Cards.

Tampa Bay 17 Arizona 14

Washington @ NYJ:

The Kellen Clemens era will finally begin in week 9, but this will not be a favorable match up against a Redskin defense that got torched by Tom Brady and the Pats. Look for the Skins to take out some of their frustration from last week on the new Jets QB.

Moss/Randle El/Cooley: This group was just absolutely horrible last weekend against the Pats. Campbell had a lot of pressure and had to force a lot of his throws which were incomplete most of the day. Campbell should find things easier against the Jets as they will struggle to put pressure on Campbell. Moss led all Redskin receivers last weekend in targets with 11. He caught six of them for 41 yards. The Pats did a good job defending Randle El, and Chris Cooley caught the only TD of the game. The only guy out of this group worth starting is Cooley in my opinion. Moss and Randle El are just too inconsistent, and I see the Skins pounding the ball with the combination of Portis/Betts.

Coles/Cotchery: All I have to say is FINALLY! Coles and Cotchery will be able to run a deep pattern and have somebody with an arm throw it to them! No more of this five and ten yard dump off crap! Coles and Cotchery are too talented for a QB like Pennington. That being said, it will take some time for Clemens to get adjusted, and I hate the match up this week. But anything is an upgrade at this point for the 1-6 Jets. Consider Coles and Cothery WR3/Flex plays until we see what Clemens can do on the field. Also be aware of Coles’ injury status as he is listed as questionable for this weekend.

Redskins 17 Jets 10

Jacksonville @ N.O:

OK, I have to admit it. I’ve not been confident in the Saints the last couple of weeks, but I think I can officially say they have their Mojo back. With that being said, they have a good Jacksonville pass defense coming to town. And what’s up with the Jags scoring 24 points last weekend behind Quinn Gray?

Williams/Matt Jones: Not a group of receivers to get excited about, although it was good to see Matt Jones finally hit pay dirt with a sick one-handed catch. The Jags will try and play it safe and run the ball with Jones-Drew and Taylor. But if they get behind, they may be in trouble. Gray may have no choice but to throw, and that won’t be pretty. Don’t start any of the Jags this weekend.

Colston/Patten/Bush: Receiver Marques Colston busted out in a big way last weekend catching eight passes for 86 yards and three TDs. David Patten had his second good game in three weeks and may be a nice player to stash on your roster. Patten caught five of his six targets for 109 yards last weekend.

Saints 24 Jacksonville 20

S.D. @ Minnesota:

Ok, so everyone saw what the Bolts defense did to the Texans last weekend right? This weekend Merriman and company have to be licking their chops to get to Viking QB Tavaris Jackson. It should be a good test for LT and AD as well.

VJax/Chambers/Gates/LT: Wow has the arrival of Chris Chambers killed Vincent Jackson’s value. VJax got all of one target last weekend and watched as Gates and Chambers got the TDs from Rivers. This weekend, they get a Viking pass defense that ranks dead last in the NFL. You can expect a huge game from Gates, as he should be good for at least 100+ yards and one TD. LT may get a little bit more work through the air so a TD through the air is very possible. VJax and Chambers will also see some action, but I would not start either one of these guys. You just don’t know which receiver Rivers will look to now that Chambers has arrived.

Viking WRs: What? Your acting surprised that I don’t have anything to write here?

Bolts 27 Vikings 17

Green Bay @ KC:

Wow, what a throw last Monday Night by Brett Favre in overtime. This guy always seems to amaze me. It will be a sad day when this guy finally decided to hang it up.

Driver/Jennings/Jones: It’s getting hard to recommend starting receiver Donald Driver. He has been VERY quite this year, and has not had a TD since week 3. He’s only got one 100-yard game this year as well. Favre seems to be favoring Jennings with the long ball, and Jones is getting some action as well. Driver is simply losing touches. They have a match up against a KC defense that is ranked 10th overall in the NFL. With no running game to speak of, Favre will look to air it out again this weekend and has enough weapons to do some damage. Sooner or later, Driver is going to bust out with a 100+ yard game and a TD. Not sure this is going to be the weekend though, so be patient with him.

Bowe/Gonzo: Bowe and Gonzo are the best options through the air by FAR for the Chiefs. The Pack has the 22nd ranked pass defense, so the Chiefs will have most of their success moving the ball through the air. Gonzo’s had a nice all around season catching 42 passes for 506 yards and three TDs. He should be able to get loose this weekend and has the possibility of another 100+ yard game. I expect the Chiefs to try a couple of long balls toward Bowe as well. Both are excellent starts this weekend.

Packers 24 Chefs 20

Denver @ Detroit:

I saw this stat and almost choked on my lunch I was having. The Lions and Mad Mike Martz’s offense have not scored a passing TD in three straight games? That can’t be right is it?

Marshall/Stokley/Scheffler: Marshall and Stokley continue to get the job done in the Broncos passing attack. Last week, the duo combined for eight catches for 145 yards. This week they should be able to feast on the Lions poor secondary and put up some huge numbers. With Marshall’s size and Stokley’s speed, they should be able to create lots of problems for the Detroit secondary. TE Tony Scheffler even makes a good play this weekend. I look for Stokley to use his speed to have a nice day overall. He should be considered a WR3/Flex option this weekend.

Sleeper Alert: Brandon Stokley – 6 catches, 80+ yards, TD

Williams/Calvin Johnson/McDonald: The Lions may have some trouble dealing with the 7th overall ranked pass defense. I see RB Kevin Jones being a bigger factor in this game than the receivers. Roy Williams continues to frustrate owners by NOT getting into the end zone. I seriously think you can find a better option this weekend. A receiver struggling to find the end zone combined with a top passing defense and the leagues best cover guy Champ Bailey is not very promising. However, I think Dre Bly is beatable, so Calvin Johnson could be a sneaky play this weekend against the Broncos. You saw Bly having problems covering Greg Jennings last Monday night. Keep an eye though on Calvin’s injury, as he listed as questionable right now.

Detroit 28 Denver 24

Cincinnati @ Buffalo:

If you like offense, this game should have lots of it. The Bengals score a lot of points, but their defense also contributes by giving up more points that the Bengals actually score! J.P. Losman will return as the starter in Buffalo and you can better believe he will be targeting Lee Evans deep and often.

Housh/Chad Johnson: Great match up for these two as they get to abuse the 29th ranked pass defense in the NFL. With injuries to their running backs, the Palmer may have not choice but to chunk the ball all over the field which would bode well for Housh and Chad. Housh will go over 100 yards and find the end zone at least once.

Evans/Reed: WR Lee Evans is officially back folks. He announced his return last weekend against the Jets by catching five passes for 138 yards which included an 85-yard TD reception where he fought two defenders for the ball and took off for the score. That’s the Lee Evans people have grown to love. Reed chipped in nicely last weekend with four catches for 40 yards, but should be no where close to a fantasy lineup.

Bengals 34 Bills 28

Seattle @ Cleveland:

You know why I love the fact that Cleveland is doing well. There are a couple of reasons. One reason is because I hate that Brat Brady Quinn, and two because the Cowboys get their number one pick next year.

Engram/Burlson: WR Bobby Engram continues to produce with Deion Branch out with an injury. Against the Rams in week 7, Engram grabbed six passes for 73 yards and was targeted a team high 11 times. I like Engram a lot in this match up against the Brownies. I could see 100+ yards and a TD for Engram. Burlson, although in the dog house with the organization, is their next best option, but he should not be close to any type of fantasy team what so ever.

Edwards/Winslow: What a difference a QB can make in one WR. Derek Anderson has turned Braylon Edwards into a top five+ WR. Braylon has produced on a consistent basis and continues to find ways to produce. This weekend will be no different. Braylon will find away to get loose for at least one score this weekend. Anderson’s other main target is TE Kellen Winslow Jr. who is having an impressive year in his own right. This is a match up that he should be able to exploit and Winslow should have no problems racking up yards and at least one TD.

Browns 28 Seahawks 20

Houston @ Oakland:

Walter/Jones/Andre Johnson: OK, I must admit, I’m starting to grow on this kid Kevin Walter. Was not a big fan of his in the beginning, but he has been amazingly consistent. With all of that out of the way now, I would not play him this weekend against a stingy Raiders pass defense. Late breaking news here, Andre Johnson may be able to play this weekend. As with the above mentioned players, he would not be a recommended start against the Raider secondary.

Porter/Curry: WR Jerry Porter may be seeing a little more action this weekend if leading receiver Ronald Curry can’t give it a go. Curry has an injured foot and may not be able to play this weekend. The Raiders are very thin at the WR spot, so Curry would definitely be missed within the offense if he can’t go. Stay away from the Raider receivers this weekend.

Houston 14 Oakland 10

New England @ Indy:

OK simply put, these are the two best teams in the NFL through the first eight weeks. I expect a ton of points to be scored and a shootout between Peyton and Brady. Getcha popcorn ready folks!

Moss/Welker/Stallworth/Watson: The one guy that has taken advantage of teams recently is NOT Randy Moss. It’s Wes Welker. Look for the Colts to lock down Moss, and when that happens, Wes Welker will exploit the Indy pass coverage. Welker has had at least nine receptions the last three games, while Moss will see a lot of double coverage. But even doubling Randy will not prevent him from getting into the end zone. Welker will have a big day with receptions and yards, and Randy has the possibility of making more than one trip to the end zone. Stallworth was hot for a while, but with the possible return of TE Ben Watson, that could take away some of his looks.

Harrison/Wayne/Clark: The big question out of this group is how healthy is Marvin Harrison? If he’s healthy and can play, he’s historically had some good games against the Pats. Wayne and Clark will both be good options as well this weekend, as Manning will need to throw the ball to keep up with the Pats offense. Start your Colts and watch as the fantasy stats pile up.

Pats 38 Colts 28

Dallas @ Philadelphia:

Good test here for Romo and the Cowboys as they hit the road and take on the Eagles. With a week off and a new contract, look for Romo to put up some nice stats and lead the ‘Boys to a victory. McNabb has looked very average since week 3’s blowup against the Lions. Since then he’s only thrown three TDs.

Owen/Crayton/Witten: It should be an interesting reception from the Philly crowd when TO takes the field this weekend. Amazingly enough, the Eagles did a great job taking TO out of the games they played against each other last year. TO caught five passes for 68 yards and ZERO TDs in the two games. Expect the Eagles to keep doing whatever they did last year to keep TO out of the game. Jason Witten who has been huge all year, could again have a good game as all of the attention will be on stopping TO. WR Patrick Crayton was held in check against the Vikes ending his hot streak from weeks 4, 5, and 6. He could have the chance to put up some nice numbers with TO getting all the attention.

Curtis/Brown/Westy: The Cowboys rank 13th in the league in passing defense, and McNabb just is not putting up the stats everyone is used to this year. These guys will have to be busy this weekend, to keep up with Romo and the ‘Boys passing game. Not sure I like the match up here with the Dallas secondary, but using RB Brian Westbrook out of the backfield will present some problems. I expect a big game out of Westbrook in an effort to win this game. I just don’t think it will be enough. Reggie Brown had a big game last weekend, but left with an injury. Check the status of Brown before inserting him into your lineup. If Brown can go, I think he could be the most productive WR for the Eagles.

Dallas 30 Eagles 24

Baltimore @ Pittsburgh:

Two nasty defenses here getting after each other on Monday Night Football. However, the Steelers offense is rolling right now, so the Ravens D will have their hands full with Holmes, Ward, and Miller.

Mason/Clayton: With the #4 ranked pass defense, Mason and Clayton will need to work hard to get open for the Ravens. Mason has been a PPR monster so far this season ranking second in the league in receptions. (56) WR Mark Clayton had his best game of the year two weeks ago against the Bills by catching five passes for 49 yards. He has struggled with getting targets this year, but may start to see more. I honestly would not recommend starting either of these guys against the Steelers on the road.

Ward/Holmes/Miller: In his first game back since an injury, WR Hines Ward looked very healthy and Big Ben looked to him early and often. Ward delivered an eight catch, 88 yard, two TDs on nine targets. Santonio Holmes also saw some action by catching all six of Ben’s targets for 87 yards. I expect this to be a low-scoring affair, and the WRs may be difficult to start on either team. I’m going on a gut feeling here, but Santonio Holmes is due for a TD, so I’ll pencil him in for 70+ yards and a TD.

Steelers 14 Ravens 10

Don't see a lot of good sleepers this weekend, so I've only listed three.

Top 3 WR Match Ups to Exploit/Avoid:

1. Vernon Davis SF TE - He's back!

2. Roddy White ATL WR

3. Brandon Stokley WR Denver

as a Panthers homer, I am suprised to not see Jeff King listed this week. With Carr starting again, I can see King getting another 10+ target game.

Otherwise Nice writeup.

ETA: I'm sure you will hear it for not adding DJ Hackett this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you feel about D.J. Hackett this week? If Branch doesn't play, is he worth a start? How do you think him and Burleson will split the WR2 position?

Why all the Hackett love in here? Is he even playing this weekend? What has he done so far this year other than be hurt? :thumbup:

Sorry, he has to show me something before I mention him.

as a Panthers homer, I am suprised to not see Jeff King listed this week. With Carr starting again, I can see King getting another 10+ target game.

Otherwise Nice writeup.

ETA: I'm sure you will hear it for not adding DJ Hackett this week.
:fishing: I'm just disgusted by Carr. I guess he may have a better chance to produce than anybody else, including Smiff. He's a solid option at TE this weekend. :thumbup:

I have different feelings though towards Hackett. :shrug:

I may work on a better list of WRs to Exploit. I only gave three, I'll look out there some more to see what I can find tomorrow. Will definately be adding Panther TE Jeff King to the list.

laughinboy_2000 said:
Why all the Hackett love in here? Is he even playing this weekend? What has he done so far this year other than be hurt? :mellow: Sorry, he has to show me something before I mention him.
Uhh, probably because he's likely starting this weekend. And going against the Browns at that. Other than that, no reason to mention him. Better to wait until he has a good game (he's been injured all year, not sucking) to throw him into a write-up. :unsure:

laughinboy_2000 said:
Why all the Hackett love in here? Is he even playing this weekend? What has he done so far this year other than be hurt? :( Sorry, he has to show me something before I mention him.
Uhh, probably because he's likely starting this weekend. And going against the Browns at that. Other than that, no reason to mention him. Better to wait until he has a good game (he's been injured all year, not sucking) to throw him into a write-up. :thumbup:
You guys would lose respect for me if I listed a guy who's had one catch through eight weeks wouldn't you? :bag:If he blows up this weekend, I can promise you he will be in this thread in week 10. I just think he needs to shake off some rust before we throw him in fantasy lineups.

Two WR that impressed me from last year, Cotchery and DJ Hackett. I could see both having a big 2nd half of the year. Cotchery seems to have the IT factor, he just needs someone to be able to get him the ball. Hackett should be in a good situation with Sea. needing to throw the ball and I believe he is the most talented WR on the team, including Branch.

Two WR that impressed me from last year, Cotchery and DJ Hackett. I could see both having a big 2nd half of the year. Cotchery seems to have the IT factor, he just needs someone to be able to get him the ball. Hackett should be in a good situation with Sea. needing to throw the ball and I believe he is the most talented WR on the team, including Branch.
I like Cotchery too, but not this weekend against the Skins with a new QB. Hackett needs to show me he's healthy and can produce, and I disagree with him being better than Branch or Engram for that matter. Gotta see it before I believe it.

I like Cotchery too, but not this weekend against the Skins with a new QB. Hackett needs to show me he's healthy and can produce, and I disagree with him being better than Branch or Engram for that matter. Gotta see it before I believe it.
I have to disagree with this. Maybe it's just me but Clemens seems to look to Cotchery more often than Pennington does. I see Cotchery having a decent game this week with Clemens starting.

I have to disagree with this. Maybe it's just me but Clemens seems to look to Cotchery more often than Pennington does. I see Cotchery having a decent game this week with Clemens starting.
McCareins could be a sleeper pick this weekend especially if Coles is out from his concussion. Clemens has been throwing to McCareins on the 2nd team during practice all season.

Any projection thoughts on Jennings or Marshall?

Can Roddy White still be considered a sleeper? He's pretty close to an every week starter, if not there already.

McCareins could be a sleeper pick this weekend especially if Coles is out from his concussion. Clemens has been throwing to McCareins on the 2nd team during practice all season.
Wow, now that's a long shot. If Coles is out, I would think Brad Smith would be taking his place. McCareins has not had more than one catch in a game the whole year? Crazier things have happened though.

Branch is iffy for this weekend. Burleson has some timing with Hasselbeck. Nate is money in leagues with return yardage(both KR & PR for Seattle). Currently #15 in my main league.

i]

Baltimore @ Pittsburgh:

Two nasty defenses here getting after each other on Monday Night Football. However, the Steelers offense is rolling right now, so the Ravens D will have their hands full with Holmes, Ward, and Miller.

Mason/Clayton: With the #4 ranked pass defense, Mason and Clayton will need to work hard to get open for the Ravens. Mason has been a PPR monster so far this season ranking second in the league in receptions. (56) WR Mark Clayton had his best game of the year two weeks ago against the Bills by catching five passes for 49 yards. He has struggled with getting targets this year, but may start to see more. I honestly would not recommend starting either of these guys against the Steelers on the road.

Ward/Holmes/Miller: In his first game back since an injury, WR Hines Ward looked very healthy and Big Ben looked to him early and often. Ward delivered an eight catch, 88 yard, two TDs on nine targets. Santonio Holmes also saw some action by catching all six of Ben’s targets for 87 yards. I expect this to be a low-scoring affair, and the WRs may be difficult to start on either team. I’m going on a gut feeling here, but Santonio Holmes is due for a TD, so I’ll pencil him in for 70+ yards and a TD.

Steelers 14 Ravens 10

You may want to rethink the Steeler WRs this week - they might be very good starts this week. Looks like C-Mac is at best a game time decision and

Rolle didn't practice today due to the previous "undisclosed illness". Baltimore practices Sat evening so I would look for details late Sat night or perhaps Sunday morning relative to his condition - so Balt might well be without both starting CBs.

Good insight, I hope you're right, I'm starting Bowe, Roddy White, and Stokely this week and you had nice things to say about all of them this week. I couldn't decide whether or not to bench one of them for Santana Moss because CBS sportsline has him so high this week, despite doing nothing. I really can't see why Moss would have such a big game. It's not going to be a shootout with both offenses struggling, and he's too risky of a start. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

You may want to rethink the Steeler WRs this week - they might be very good starts this week. Looks like C-Mac is at best a game time decision and Rolle didn't practice today due to the previous "undisclosed illness". Baltimore practices Sat evening so I would look for details late Sat night or perhaps Sunday morning relative to his condition - so Balt might well be without both starting CBs.
I hope your right about this. I've been forced to start Santonio Holmes Monday night since it looks like Marvin won't be suiting up. These are two good defenses though playing Monday night. Should be a good game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good insight, I hope you're right, I'm starting Bowe, Roddy White, and Stokely this week and you had nice things to say about all of them this week. I couldn't decide whether or not to bench one of them for Santana Moss because CBS sportsline has him so high this week, despite doing nothing. I really can't see why Moss would have such a big game. It's not going to be a shootout with both offenses struggling, and he's too risky of a start. Thanks for shedding some light on this.
All three of these guys make excellent starts. I'm not so sure about Moss though? But if there was a weekend to start him, it would be this weekend against the Jets. :thumbup:

Why all the Hackett love in here? Is he even playing this weekend? What has he done so far this year other than be hurt? :yes: Sorry, he has to show me something before I mention him.
Hackett had a great last few games of last year. If he played all of last year, he was on pace to put up top 10 numbers. The :lmao: is justified

Houston @ Oakland:

Walter/Jones/Andre Johnson: OK, I must admit, I’m starting to grow on this kid Kevin Walter. Was not a big fan of his in the beginning, but he has been amazingly consistent. With all of that out of the way now, I would not play him this weekend against a stingy Raiders pass defense. Late breaking news here, Andre Johnson may be able to play this weekend. As with the above mentioned players, he would not be a recommended start against the Raider secondary.
:rolleyes: I don't see an injury thread pinned.

Houston @ Oakland:

:rolleyes: I don't see an injury thread pinned.
He was ruled out on the 2nd, per Rotoworld:Andre Johnson-WR- Texans Nov. 2 - 2:17 pm et

Andre Johnson (knee sprain) is out for Sunday's game against the Raiders. He is fully expected to return in Week 11 against the Saints.

"He’s practiced pretty darn good," head coach Gary Kubiak said after practice Friday. "He’s not 100 percent, but he’s close and the best thing for Andre and for our football is to make that he gets another 16 or 17 days of rest." Andre' Davis will get another start, but is a poor play against Oakland.

Source: houstontexans.com

I think he is 100% OUT.

Why all the Hackett love in here? Is he even playing this weekend? What has he done so far this year other than be hurt? :unsure: Sorry, he has to show me something before I mention him.
You should mention him b/c he's supposed to start. You don't have to say he's going to do well, he doesn't have to be your pick to click, it would just be nice to know that you considered him if he's going to play. in sum, listing him and criticizing him are not mutually exclusive options.

Users who are viewing this thread