What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (4 Viewers)

Bro, homie won a Heisman he can get the ball to Michael Thomas.
If Thomas plays CB for the opposing team then you have an excellent point!

Haha kidding.

Sort of.
Winston has the third most passing yards of any QB through his first five seasons in the NFL - so while he turns the ball over, he’s also been a boon for his receivers.

Winston has the third most passing yards of any QB through his first five seasons in the NFL - so while he turns the ball over, he’s also been a boon for his receivers.
This right here. Assuming both Thomas and Winston are both healthy as reported and remain so for the season, I don't see how Thomas doesn't crack the top 20 and at the least end the season as a WR2. Big assumption I know until we see them on the field, especially Thomas.

Also, if I'm reading his contract correctly, all of his guaranteed money ends this year and his cap hit doubles if he goes into 2023 season on the Saints roster. It's not out of the realm of possiblity that he is traded this year and to do that Saints need him to be very productive in the first half of the season for another team to be willing to eat the rest of his contract. It's not cheap. Opportunities will be there for him to hit his fantasy score ceilings imo.

Reactions: JAA

NOLA.com's Jeff Duncan reports Michael Thomas (hamstring) appears to be on track to play in Week 1 against the Falcons.​

Duncan said Thomas, who suffered a hamstring injury August 21, "was present at the Saints' closed walk-through on Monday, another positive sign for his playing status on Sunday." There was some question as to whether Thomas -- who has missed most of the past two seasons with an ankle injury -- would be ready for the season opener. Without Drew Brees under center and with increased target competition in the New Orleans offense, it's tough for fantasy managers to have confidence in Thomas as anything more than a low-end WR2 against Atlanta.
SOURCE: Jeff Duncan on Twitter
Sep 7, 2022, 9:29 AM ET

Michael Thomas (hamstring) is questionable for Week 1 against the Falcons.​

For what it's worth, most beats have been pretty optimistic about the way Thomas looks in practice and the odds of him playing on Sunday. But it was three straight limited practice tags for Thomas. It's hard to know exactly what to expect in Week 1 after Thomas has played seven games in the last two seasons, but the Falcons are a dream matchup for him. He is best viewed as a high-risk, high-reward WR3 assuming he plays.
Sep 9, 2022, 3:27 PM ET

It's interesting how fickle some fantasy players are about certain situations. People are still willing to draft CMC at 1.02 despite not playing a full season in 3 years. People are willing to ignore Cam Akers' Achilles tear despite no RB ever coming back from said injury. People are willing to bet on Allen Robinson, a guy who has only had 3 1,000 yard receiving seasons in 8 years.

But then you've got Michael Thomas who also not played a full season in three years, but when he did actually caught THE MOST RECEPTIONS IN NFL HISTORY. Who is he catching passes from again? Jameis Winston? You know, the guy who is one of nine QBs to ever throw for 5,000 yards in a single season.

Who's his competition for targets? Jarvis Landry? Rookie Olave? I was lucky enough to get him as my WR2 on a few teams and to say I am ecstatic is an understatement. You've got the former 1.01 NFL Draft pick, Heisman who has thrown for over 5,000 yards (1 of 9 QBs to ever do this and it was prior to them going 17 games) throwing to the WR who literally has the NFL record for most receptions in a season.

When your argument is "Jameis Winston can't throw a slant" then you have no argument.

@Stuart Ullman

Is Bruce Arians coaching the Saints? Then who cares if Jameis threw for 5,000 yards, and a league leading 30 INTs (plus 12 fumbles) for another team three years ago?

He's a career 61% passer on a team that allowed him to throw the ball all of 25 times per game last season.

Low accuracy, low volume, competition for touches (Kamara, Olave & Landry are the deepest receiving group Thomas has ever played with) and losing, perhaps, the greatest offensive mind in the game.

I like Thomas but I think people need to temper their expectations just a bit.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Michael Thomas (hamstring) is expected to play Week 1 against the Falcons.​

The mood around Thomas has been optimistic all week, and he was able to log three limited practices. It is tough to know exactly what to expect from Thomas following two mostly lost seasons, but his weekly target upside is as high as any receiver in the league. He is a risk/reward WR3 option.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Sep 10, 2022, 11:58 PM ET

Officially active.

Going back and forth between him and Mooney…think I need floor in my dynasty league because I’m a huge favorite who already had Kupp go, so I’m leaning Mooney until I see MT look himself again. Tempted to just put him in though.

Officially active.

Going back and forth between him and Mooney…think I need floor in my dynasty league because I’m a huge favorite who already had Kupp go, so I’m leaning Mooney until I see MT look himself again. Tempted to just put him in though.
this is me too, Thomas or Mooney in my third wr slot. had taken mooney out due to the weather there, but back in with him. Even without the health concerns he's been out for over a season and a half, would have to assume some rust having had very little preseason action. gawd i been talking myself in circles with this all morning!

Keeping Pollard and Jacobs in a .5 point PPR league over him at Flex this week. I think I will be regretting this decision. I don't want the risk with his first game back after being out so long.

Officially active.

this is me too, Thomas or Mooney in my third wr slot. had taken mooney out due to the weather there, but back in with him. Even without the health concerns he's been out for over a season and a half, would have to assume some rust having had very little preseason action. gawd i been talking myself in circles with this all morning!

Yeah I decided to go safe, and if he blows up then that’s good info for next week. Will probably flip flop two more times before kickofff though.

Edit: have MT in right now actually lol. YOLO

Last edited:
Rotoworld reporting Michael Thomas could be limited to 20-30 plays! 🚨

FOX's Jay Glazer reports Michael Thomas (hamstring) could be limited to 20-30 snaps in Sunday's game against the Falcons.

It "just depends upon his conditioning," per Glazer, who had a conversation with Saints head coach Dennis Allen. This is something that you should break ties against in any fantasy league where you have options. Thomas was always unlikely to be full go right off the bat, but 20-30 snaps is probably lower than you'd like to rely on.

Rotoworld reporting Michael Thomas could be limited to 20-30 plays! 🚨
I doubt this came to pass, but I had to listen to much of the game on the radio and don't have a feel for how many plays Thomas sat out.

He was in there for every play from the mid-third-quarter on.

@Stuart Ullman

Is Bruce Arians coaching the Saints? Then who cares if Jameis threw for 5,000 yards, and a league leading 30 INTs (plus 12 fumbles) for another team three years ago?

He's a career 61% passer on a team that allowed him to throw the ball all of 25 times per game last season.

Low accuracy, low volume, competition for touches (Kamara, Olave & Landry are the deepest receiving group Thomas has ever played with) and losing, perhaps, the greatest offensive mind in the game.

How'd he do?

@Stuart Ullman

How'd he do?
He had a good game. Lol.

Has anyone told you how good looking you are, lately?

@Stuart Ullman

How'd he do?
He had a good game. Lol.

Has anyone told you how good looking you are, lately?

Love you, brother! :lol: Hope your teams are killing it. Thank God for football, this is great.

Michael Thomas caught 5-of-8 targets for 57 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 1 win over the Falcons.

Playing in his first game since Dec. 2020, Thomas had a doughnut at halftime but revived along with the Saints' entire offense after the break. Visibly out of sync with Jameis Winston the first two quarters, Thomas got in rhythm for periods three and four, beating A.J. Terrell man coverage for both of his scores. It frankly looked like the Thomas of old. There is still a ways to go before Thomas can be declared "back," but his second half chemistry with Winston was highly encouraging today. He will remain a back-end WR2 for Week 2 against the Bucs.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Michael Thomas caught 6-of-9 targets for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

Thomas now has three scores through two weeks, so the reports of his demise may have been exaggerated. The New Orleans offense struggled in this game, but Thomas's role in the red zone always gives him an out to a solid fantasy day. His nine targets were also the second-most on the team. The Saints' passing game doesn't run strictly through Thomas like it used to, but he remains an integral part of the offense. Thomas will look to keep up his WR2 pace versus the Panthers next week.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Michael Thomas (foot) is doubtful to return in Week 3 against the Panthers.

Thomas was initially listed as questionable to return but was downgraded to doubtful in the final minutes of the game. He did not return. The Saints' offense couldn't get anything going versus the Panthers, putting just one touchdown on the board. Thomas caught all five of his targets for 49 yards before exiting in the second half. Jameis Winston has chosen Chris Olave as his favorite receiver, leaving Thomas to fend for scraps in the offense. If he's able to play in Week 4, it will only be as a WR3 for fantasy purposes.

- NBCSportsEDGE

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Michael Thomas' (toe) injury is not believed to be serious.​

Thomas was forced from Sunday's matchup against the Panthers and was downgraded from questionable to doubtful late in the game. He never returned to the field, leaving Chris Olave as the Saints' main receiving threat in the 22-14 loss. Rapoport notes that Thomas' injury is not on the same foot as his previous ankle injury and that he will have more tests on Monday to determine the severity of his injury. Thomas is a WR3 in Week 4 against the Vikings if he is able to suit up.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Sep 26, 2022, 10:54 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread