What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (3 Viewers)

Thomas clearly doesn't want it anymore. He got his payday and turned soft. The guy has to have the worst pain tolerance and grit in the history of the sport.
And you base this off......?
.... the fact that he signed his mega contract in 2019. Then in 2020, he injured his ankle almost immediately. Missed some games, came back and injured his hamstring. Missed some games again... then came back and injured his ankle again. Missed 9 games in 2020. Then, after the ankle (sprain) in Dec of 2020... he waited 6 months, until June to decide to get surgery on the ankle. Still, wasn't considered so serious that he would miss much time if any for the 2021 season. He then missed the ENTIRE 2021 season due to the ankle sprain that he suffered in the 2020 season. Still, coming into 2022, he wasn't ready to start OTA's etc, due to the ankle injury.... from 2020.... Then he makes a short return to practice, but immediately injures his hamstring, and sits out the preseason and mostly every practice. He then plays 2 1/2 games and injures his toe. By all accounts, it is supposedly a very minor injury. Here we are with him missing his second straight week with that toe injury. It's pretty obvious what's happening here.

Michael Thomas would miss 7 games from a paper cut while cashing a check at the bank. Then he'd probably come back for half a game, before suffering a setback on that papercut. Followed by a trip to IR. Possibly a late August surgical procedure the following year on his index finger.

Thomas clearly doesn't want it anymore. He got his payday and turned soft. The guy has to have the worst pain tolerance and grit in the history of the sport.
And you base this off......?
.... the fact that he signed his mega contract in 2019. Then in 2020, he injured his ankle almost immediately. Missed some games, came back and injured his hamstring. Missed some games again... then came back and injured his ankle again. Missed 9 games in 2020. Then, after the ankle (sprain) in Dec of 2020... he waited 6 months, until June to decide to get surgery on the ankle. Still, wasn't considered so serious that he would miss much time if any for the 2021 season. He then missed the ENTIRE 2021 season due to the ankle sprain that he suffered in the 2020 season. Still, coming into 2022, he wasn't ready to start OTA's etc, due to the ankle injury.... from 2020.... Then he makes a short return to practice, but immediately injures his hamstring, and sits out the preseason and mostly every practice. He then plays 2 1/2 games and injures his toe. By all accounts, it is supposedly a very minor injury. Here we are with him missing his second straight week with that toe injury. It's pretty obvious what's happening here.

Michael Thomas would miss 7 games from a paper cut while cashing a check at the bank. Then he'd probably come back for half a game, before suffering a setback on that papercut. Followed by a trip to IR. Possibly a late August surgical procedure the following year on his index finger.
Well in fairness, he has been cashing some fairly big cheques. Paper cuts are inevitable.

Kadarius Toney would like a word with you.
Sammy Watkins would like a word with you.

(Also, I don't think it's really pain tolerance with Thomas or Watkins - just heart.)
IMO, pain tolerance and heart go hand in hand. Michael Thomas doesn't have either of those. Just the look on his face during the games. Looks like a little kid who doesn't want to be around anyone. The guy is toast.

No shortage of ridiculous takes here I see.
I guess speculating on the reasons for his lack of availability is potentially ridiculous but people are only doing that because he has become infamously unavailable. That part is fact. Saints fans can't be happy and fantasy owners even less so.

I guess speculating on the reasons for his lack of availability is potentially ridiculous but people are only doing that because he has become infamously unavailable. That part is fact. Saints fans can't be happy and fantasy owners even less so.

He had a messed up ankle he tried to come back and play on late in the year, in part because he knew it was Brees last year. It likely caused more damage. He was not medically cleared to play last year, got off to a great start this season and suffered a turf toe.

So no I don't really speculate why he's not available. I think it's pretty clear. And the notion that he's soft, wimpy, refused to play in pain or anything of the sort is absolutely ridiculous.

It's unfortunate but I understand injuries are part of the game. I don't cry over it and question toughness of a player who has shown plenty of it in the past.

He had a messed up ankle he tried to come back and play on late in the year, in part because he knew it was Brees last year. It likely caused more damage. He was not medically cleared to play last year, got off to a great start this season and suffered a turf toe.

So no I don't really speculate why he's not available. I think it's pretty clear. And the notion that he's soft, wimpy, refused to play in pain or anything of the sort is absolutely ridiculous.

It's unfortunate but I understand injuries are part of the game. I don't cry over it and question toughness of a player who has shown plenty of it in the past.
So you are just going to forget the fact that he famously ignored all calls and communications from his team, coach, and trainer for MONTHS after the 2020 season? They wanted to take care of his "sprained ankle", and he flat out avoided them and then decided to get surprise surgery 6 months after he reinjured it in December. Then he reported a "small setback" and sat out the entire 2021 season. Sorry, I'm not that gullible. The guy has zero heart, or integrity. He is trying to linger around and do just enough to keep collecting checks. Simple as that.

Give me a single good reason why anyone who had a serious injury and was serious about getting the proper treatment and back on the field ASAP (as he should while under contract).... one good reason why that person would ignore all efforts of communication by his team, coaches, and trainers for months afterward?

Michael Thomas (toe) did not practice Wednesday.​

A report from ESPN's Adam Schefter said that Thomas was expected to play this week, but the early DNP casts some doubt on that. For now, fantasy managers can count on getting the oft-injured slot receiver back in their lineups. If Chris Olave clears concussion protocol ahead of Week 6, he will be in for another monstrous workload.
Oct 12, 2022, 4:37 PM ET

He is not expected to play in week 7.

Which begs a few questions:

1. Why did they not put him on IR?

2. What does Rapoport consider serious?

3. Can one go from Shefter saying he should likely return in week 6 to missing at least next two games if a setback did not occur?

The injury saga of Michael Thomas sucks is all I know. Can’t recall a player in my life whose return always seems imminent but it’s always much longer if ever.

Rapaport said it was not serious and last week Shefter said he should return this week.

You don't normally see a player make these two miss like that.
Injury reports about Thomas have been consistently clouded though since the preseason. The Saints are not helpful with injury reporting. I would take any Saints reporting by NFL insiders with a huge grain of salt.

So I guess I understand not putting him on IR as they thought this timeline to return was right in the 4 week ballpark. There is also a cap issue involved with putting a player on IR to sign someone else, which is a reason some speculate the Giants did not put Robinson or Toney on IR.

Still odd to see Shefter whiff so much but my main concern was a setback, similar to last year, but at this point sounds like he is healing on the slower end timeframe. I needed him badly this week and in some places next week but this is the game we play and I'm cautiously optimistic he'll return in week 8 and fwiw I'd rather they held him out until he's well then suffering through a turf toe all year.

Dang you Matt Waldman for selling me on this fools gold. This clown has no interest in playing. Passed on Hall, LJax, and Gabe Davis for the pile of dung.

Dang you Matt Waldman for selling me on this fools gold. This clown has no interest in playing. Passed on Hall, LJax, and Gabe Davis for the pile of dung.
Weird

Those guys were al 4/5 round pick in my league while Thomas was more a 7th

I the 5 interboard league drafts he went in the 4th in every draft and before all those guys except one occurence where someone took Davis first. It's a de-vaulued QB league with 4 pt pass TB and 1 pt/ 25 yd. Guess the other message boards we compete against also were reading the hype of him being a league winner.

Weird

I the 5 interboard league drafts he went in the 4th in every draft and before all those guys except one occurence where someone took Davis first. It's a de-vaulued QB league with 4 pt pass TB and 1 pt/ 25 yd. Guess the other message boards we compete against also were reading the hype of him being a league winner.
Crazy. His ADP definitely wasnt 4th round. Didnt he have a hammy injury in preseason too? I guess your drafts were much earlier?

Courtland Sutton Will Be A Top-10 Fantasy WR

Ezekiel Elliott Generates Top-5 RB Production

Allen Robinson and Cooper Kupp Will Also Be in the Top-10 at WR

David Bell Will Earn 80 Receptions

Michael Carter II Out-Produces Breece Hall

Derek Carr will support them all, with top-five fantasy upside at his position.

Michael Thomas Will Deliver WR1 PRoduction

The hamstring injury came at the best time for bold fantasy GMs. Just as Thomas was back on the field scorching defenders in practices and about to rocket up fantasy draft boards, he's now on ice. Based on what he did in these limited practices and his career as a whole, Thomas is the one player I'll take the "risk" with selecting during the first 4-5 rounds.

I like that fantasy GMs are scared of relying on Jameis Winston to feed Thomas. I adore that Thomas' injury has activated the insecurities of the hypochondriac sector of fantasy players. Most of all, I love Thomas' game. Give me a receiver who can beat the top cornerbacks in the game one-on-one and also be fanatically reliable against zone coverage.

I'm fully invested.

Parris Campbell Plays 13 Games And Delivers Fantasy Starter Production

BAKER MAYFIELD WILL LEAD THE NFC IN PASSING

One hit....

Raheem Mostert Will Lead the Dolphins In Rushing

Weird

Crazy. His ADP definitely wasnt 4th round. Didnt he have a hammy injury in preseason too? I guess your drafts were much earlier?

Looks like end of 5th at that time. Back out the QBs after Allen (due to scoring) and that's a mid fifth. Looks like these leagues were bumping him ahead of JuJu, Davis, Metcalf, Dobbins, Jacobs, Cooks. putting Thomas at the 4/5 turn. I misspoke on Hall.

Personally I rolled the dice because I traded back from 2.3 to the end up the 2nd for Chubb and picked up an extra 5th where I acquired Dobbins. Based on the "hype", it seemed like Thomas had the best chance of JuJu, Davis, Jeudy, Metcalf for a WR1 finish....assuming you ignore the obvious fact that he doesn't want to play more than 3-4 games a year.

@BassNBrew , I realize these preditions look bleak, and that the Thomas one is costing you directly (it's costing me too - I'm so heavily invested in Sutton/Robinson in National High Stakes, it's borderline ridiculous)...but we're only 1/3 of the way through the Season...plus my stance on Sutton/Robinson was of my own, Waldman and others opinions just 'affirmed' my conclusions, erroneous as they might be. There's plenty of time for some of these to hit their targets, and a 50+% hit rate on pay content stuff like this is viewed by some as meeting expectations, from what I understand.

Stay optimistic, GB! When he actually played (Weeks 1&2) he generated WR1 #'s. When fully healthy, he could certainly do so again...and if he's gonna be out, might as well be timed with Winston's absence. His ceiling just has to be higher than when Dalton is running the show.

Per Jeff Duncan Twitter:

Told this morning that the Saints do not expect to have Thomas back in time for the Cardinals game on Thursday night (Week 7, 10/20/22). There's optimism that Chris Olave will be back, though.

Michael Thomas does not want to play football. I have been saying this repeatedly. He is the kind of guy who shows up just enough to keep collecting money.

I mean... the guy ignored his own team, ignored calls from his coaches and trainers for months, then missed an entire season due to a sprained ankle from the previous season. Then STILL wasn't ready for OTAs and camp 2 seasons after his sprained ankle. Then he returned and immediately strained his hamstring so he could be sure to miss all of the practices before the season. Comes back, has a minor toe injury, and now he'll miss half of the season. Probably have a "setback" when he returns. If you believe this guy's nonsense you are lying to yourself. He doesn't have any passion or heart for the game.

Michael Thomas does not want to play football. I have been saying this repeatedly. He is the kind of guy who shows up just enough to keep collecting money.

I mean... the guy ignored his own team, ignored calls from his coaches and trainers for months, then missed an entire season due to a sprained ankle from the previous season. Then STILL wasn't ready for OTAs and camp 2 seasons after his sprained ankle. Then he returned and immediately strained his hamstring so he could be sure to miss all of the practices before the season. Comes back, has a minor toe injury, and now he'll miss half of the season. Probably have a "setback" when he returns. If you believe this guy's nonsense you are lying to yourself. He doesn't have any passion or heart for the game.
Tell us you drafted him without telling us you drafted him.

Just a horrible assessment based off nothing.

The guy had two great games to start the season. If he didnt wanna play football why would he have played weeks 1 & 2? Makes no sense.

So what happened was he played first two games just to show he's still got it. Sometime during week 3 he came to the conclusion he'd shown enough, was pretty much done with this business and yearned to return to his sofa and binge Netflix so he's been crying over his toe hurting but it's all made up and he's really ok.

Tell us you drafted him without telling us you drafted him.

Just a horrible assessment based off nothing.
I literally explained exactly what I based it off of. Robinson can recover from multiple gunshot wounds faster than Thomas can return from a minor toe injury. It's comical.

Btw... I wouldn't have drafted Thomas anywhere before the 8th or 9th round. He always went before that... and I laughed every time. I fully planned on taking Hopkins with a 6 game suspension over Thomas.

The guy had two great games to start the season. If he didnt wanna play football why would he have played weeks 1 & 2? Makes no sense.
As I stated... doing just enough to get keep getting paid. Just staying on the roster and stringing it along.

On the flip side... why would he ignore his coaches, team, and trainers for months after the 2020 season when they were trying to contact him to get him proper medical care and rehab his ankle? You know... the ankle that somehow still caused him to miss the entire 2021 season... None of the Thomas supporters seem to have an answer for that.

I think Michael Thomas not playing has as much to do with who is playing QB that week as it does with any "injury" he might have. If you want Thomas to play then you need Winston to get on the field.

I
I think Michael Thomas not playing has as much to do with who is playing QB that week as it does with any "injury" he might have. If you want Thomas to play then you need Winston to get on the field.
Heard Jeff Mans allude to this idea a few weeks ago on his show. No idea if this is true or not.

On what rationale is this based?

Whatever it is I doubt it makes sense to me. MT has balled out with the likes of Teddy Bridgewater and Taysom Hill. Now he's just laying down because he does not want to play with Dalton and only wants to play with Winston???

Can you guys imagine how many seasons Michael Thomas would've missed if he took that hit to the knee that knocked Zeke out for a couple plays?

Huge news today.

Michael Thomas was able to briefly show up for stretching today. The guy is an absolute warrior. Only 5 weeks in with the minor toe injury and he's already able to stretch with the team. Heart of a lion.
It's easy to see that you're lying about drafting Thomas. Otherwise, why waste energy in whining about a player's injury. I'm admittedly a Saints fan, and everything you have stated in this thread is not the complete truth. You and Flapgreen need to start a support group and keep your crying about players YOU decided to draft and take it somewhere else. You should read up on High Ankle Sprains and Turf Toe to have a better understanding of the recovery time for those. MT missed all of last year due to the Saints rushing him back in half the time it takes to recover from a HAS and it made the injury worse. All because they thought Brees could take them further in the postseason, which he couldn't. I got nothing but love for Brees, but he retired 2-3 years too late. I can't blame Thomas for not communicating with the organization even though he could have been more mature.

Huge news today.

Michael Thomas was able to briefly show up for stretching today. The guy is an absolute warrior. Only 5 weeks in with the minor toe injury and he's already able to stretch with the team. Heart of a lion.
It's easy to see that you're lying about drafting Thomas. Otherwise, why waste energy in whining about a player's injury. I'm admittedly a Saints fan, and everything you have stated in this thread is not the complete truth. You and Flapgreen need to start a support group and keep your crying about players YOU decided to draft and take it somewhere else. You should read up on High Ankle Sprains and Turf Toe to have a better understanding of the recovery time for those. MT missed all of last year due to the Saints rushing him back in half the time it takes to recover from a HAS and it made the injury worse. All because they thought Brees could take them further in the postseason, which he couldn't. I got nothing but love for Brees, but he retired 2-3 years too late. I can't blame Thomas for not communicating with the organization even though he could have been more mature.
I certainly don't have him, and I do this because it is not only hilarious, it's true. I enjoy watching his gullible fans try to scramble and make excuses for a guy that clearly doesn't care about his own team or his fans. Even if I had him, would that change the facts? Who else in the history of the NFL has ever missed an entire season for an ankle sprain that happened the previous season? Michael Thomas suffered the injury in the 2020 season, and he missed 9 games that season. Since then... he has only played in 2 1/2 of a possible 24 games (and counting). He also missed both preseasons and has only practiced for about 3 weeks total in two years.

While you are at it, explain why he ignored calls and refused to communicate with his team, coaches, and trainers for MONTHS following the 2020 season, when they were trying to get him the medical attention that he needed for his ankle? If you can't answer that, (and I know you won't) don't bother responding.

I actually think Michael Thomas never plays a down again for the Saints. They should probably trade him for whatever they can get this week and let the young guys show what they get. Olave is the WR1 on the team now anyway.

Allen said no timetable on this return. Obviously things not adding up. Will miss minimum of 6 games and they never put him on IR. Rap say's not serious and "serious" is open to interpretation but Shefter said I think back in week 6 he was likely back the next week. Made his first appearance on the practice field this Wednesday since he's been out but was DNP, left before stretching and don't think he's been seen again near practice fields.

Feels like last year all over again. They keep telling us it's close and it never happens.

Allen did answer a question on if he's be back this year by saying yes and you almost hate to hear it expressed that way.

As for trading them I got no idea, would not surprise me but if he's really injured I can't see how they can. Some will say they can't because of the cap hit but they are screwed either way they go with respect to his contract. Their choices are basically take a massive cap hit and deal with it, or have him on the books for 23 and 24 carrying a $55M cap hit for those two seasons. I think they'd rather just take the cap hit and deal with it and be done myself. Not even saying he's a bad egg or anything but if you look at it as bonus paid is a sunk cost and just look at his annual base salary plus in game bonus payouts he's not worth it.

Would it be wrong to cut him in redraft? I'm at the point where I need the roster spot. Wish they'd just IR him so I could put him there. If not I'm about to see if someone will trade me their K. Don't see him making my lineup in the miracle scenario where he actually suits up again.

Users who are viewing this thread