What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (2 Viewers)

What are his chances of him playing this season? And serious question: if/when he comes back, how much of a FF impact will he have? Wondering if this is a good buy low opportunity.

What are his chances of him playing this season? And serious question: if/when he comes back, how much of a FF impact will he have? Wondering if this is a good buy low opportunity.
Well, I'm about to sell him for a K that has already had a bye week. Wonder if I'll have to settle for a K who hasn't.

Really got to question (yet again) what exactly Dennis Allen is doing here not putting these guys on IR. (Thomas & Landry)

People have sheet all over Hackett (deservedly so) but Allen is the absolute worst HC in the league IMO. Allen is 10-33 as an NFL head coach. Just a real 🤡 show there. They ought to be sellers at the deadline but clown shoes will probably believe they'll compete and win with Red Rooster at QB.

Really got to question (yet again) what exactly Dennis Allen is doing here not putting these guys on IR. (Thomas & Landry)

I don't think Allen or the Saints brass is working with complete information. Thomas was only supposed to be out for a short time. Now he's still out, and no one outside of Thomas's circle saw it coming.

This is really reminiscent of the 2020 ankle sprain in Week One. Thomas wasn't originally supposed to miss any time at all. Then he was out Week Two, and it seemed like a precautionary thing to make sure he was 100% fine for Week Three. Then, out again. He would go on to miss seven weeks.

there was news on Roto/CBS two weeks ago that this foot injury initially came with a 4 week timetable, which should have put him back on the field this week against the Raiders. technically last week, but had a Thursday game so (un)officially this week. the brass heard this from the doctors and decided not to IR him becuse there was a chance he can heal in two weeks. odd news bits like this came out in 2020 also after he missed the first three weeks, so either the doctors on this team are incredibly incompetent or the stories just cover up something else. certainly doesn't smell right. i'd hate to believe he got paid and is happy to be not on the field like some have insinuated, but sure looks like it.

If there is one thing that Michael Thomas has shown us... it's that if there is ANY way that he can be out there with his team, he will find a way to be there.

Saints coach Dennis Allen said that Michael Thomas (toe) will have surgery and will go on injured reserve.​

Allen told reporters that he does not anticipate Thomas playing again this season. If true, he finishes the year with 16 catches for 171 yards and three touchdowns. He'll be heading into the 2023 offseason with 10 games played in three years, and the Saints could actually cut him and realize a small amount of salary savings -- perhaps a sizeable amount as a June 1 cut. 30 in March, it's no lock that Thomas is back on the roster next season. Nick Underhill reports that Thomas had a dislocated second toe. This will lock Chris Olave into a high-volume role for the rest of the season, probably cementing him as at least a WR2 in season-long.
SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter
Nov 3, 2022, 3:42 PM ET

As much as I wanted to have him swoop in and upgrade my lineup late in the season and into the FF playoffs, I'm honestly just glad I can cut bait with this clown.

I thought he was such a steal at his ADP in redraft that I have him rostered in 3 of 3 redrafts. Oh well, it wasn't a crippling draft pick since it was later in the draft. Happy to be able to free up a roster spot to juggle byes and other injuries.

I didn’t draft him anywhere but I sure wanted to. I was saved from myself.
How did you pass? He was going so late in redrafts.
By late August he was a 5th-6th round pick according to the ADP I am looking at. I was looking at him in that range but just always found myself either too early in the 5th or too late in 6th to be in the right spot to get him. He was always the 2nd guy in my queue or the guy that was taken right before my pick who I had to cross off my list.

Last edited:
Who could've guessed that Thomas would force the teams hand to send him on IR?
Widow was right!
It was pretty obvious. I bet my friend (Saints fan) $50 that Thomas would drag this out long enough to force the Saints to put him on IR this season. As the weeks went by and you realize how odd, secretive, and mysterious his "injuries" seem to be... it became more and more obvious that he had absolutely no intention on coming back this year. Pretty similar to last year....

I mean the guy has participated in practice a total of about 3 weeks since 2020. That's including the preseason.

Who could've guessed that Thomas would force the teams hand to send him on IR?
Widow was right!
It was pretty obvious. I bet my friend (Saints fan) $50 that Thomas would drag this out long enough to force the Saints to put him on IR this season. As the weeks went by and you realize how odd, secretive, and mysterious his "injuries" seem to be... it became more and more obvious that he had absolutely no intention on coming back this year. Pretty similar to last year....

I mean the guy has participated in practice a total of about 3 weeks since 2020. That's including the preseason.

Fully expect he’ll be on another team next year, we’ll see if he is healthy again.

There are legitimate, reliable sources who are saying much the same thing: Thomas is unhappy with his contract, how the Saints have handled his contract, and that Andy Dalton, not Jameis Winston, is playing QB, and he's used this whole injury scenario as a means to get paid while not playing football.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I've had Thomas in the category of 'players I have to think twice about rostering, because despite the talent, they might be more trouble than they're worth', for as long as I can remember.

There are legitimate, reliable sources who are saying much the same thing: Thomas is unhappy with his contract, how the Saints have handled his contract, and that Andy Dalton, not Jameis Winston, is playing QB, and he's used this whole injury scenario as a means to get paid while not playing football.
Please cite or link one of these "legitimate, reliable" sources saying this.

Most recently, in the wake of the news he was being placed on IR, I heard it being discussed yesterday afternoon on Sirius/XM Fantasy Channel. I'm fairly certain the host was Jeff Mans, but it might have been Howard Bender. What I'm referring to, I've heard on Sirius/XM, at various times since this whole business started earlier in the season, but it's been a constant drumbeat. When it comes from the hosts, not the callers, their commentary isn't of the speculating/guessing/opining type. It comes across that wherever they're getting their information from, that's how it is.

IMHO, based on what I've researched about Michael Thomas, I'm sure it irks him that Andy Dalton, not Jameis Winston, is who the Saints have decided is their QB1. He benefits a lot more with a gunslinger rather than a game manager. I've heard also he's tight with Jameis, which certainly opens up the possibility that he's not looking at the situation objectively. I think it goes under the category of 'common knowledge' that he's not completely happy with his contract or Saints management, and that on the spectrum of 'choirboy <---------> malcontent' , he's given me reason to believe he's closer one end of the spectrum than the other, and that's fairly widely held opinion, too.

Most recently, in the wake of the news he was being placed on IR, I heard it being discussed yesterday afternoon on Sirius/XM Fantasy Channel. I'm fairly certain the host was Jeff Mans, but it might have been Howard Bender. What I'm referring to, I've heard on Sirius/XM, at various times since this whole business started earlier in the season, but it's been a constant drumbeat. When it comes from the hosts, not the callers, their commentary isn't of the speculating/guessing/opining type. It comes across that wherever they're getting their information from, that's how it is.
So no reliable or legitmate sources.

If Thomas doesn't suit up again this year, since his Offensive Player of the Year season, he would have played in 10 games and posted a line of 56-609-3 over 3 seasons.

IMHO, based on what I've researched about Michael Thomas, I'm sure it irks him that Andy Dalton, not Jameis Winston, is who the Saints have decided is their QB1. He benefits a lot more with a gunslinger rather than a game manager. I've heard also he's tight with Jameis, which certainly opens up the possibility that he's not looking at the situation objectively. I think it goes under the category of 'common knowledge' that he's not completely happy with his contract or Saints management, and that on the spectrum of 'choirboy <---------> malcontent' , he's given me reason to believe he's closer one end of the spectrum than the other, and that's fairly widely held opinion, too.
I've heard Jeff Mans allude to some fishy stuff going on with Thomas before. Don't know if it's credible or what... but Thomas has been enough of a headache for FF football reasons the last 3 years to earn a Do Not Draft spot forever more...

MHO, based on what I've researched about Michael Thomas, I'm sure it irks him that Andy Dalton, not Jameis Winston, is who the Saints have decided is their QB1. He benefits a lot more with a gunslinger rather than a game manager. I've heard also he's tight with Jameis, which certainly opens up the possibility that he's not looking at the situation objectively. I think it goes under the category of 'common knowledge' that he's not completely happy with his contract ...

On the other hand ... (yeah, a message board, but it's equivalent to Maurile or Adam Harstad posing it on FBG):

Since Andy Dalton and his family moved to NOLA this year, I have gotten to know the family some. Really nice family and they are really happy to be here!

Anyway, I spoke to a family member this AM, and they mentioned that Andy and MT have been talking all week and Andy was super excited to have MT back this week. He was in the line up and ready to go this week. Apparently MT had an X-Ray a few days ago (from what I understand he was feeling pretty good but it hadn’t heal the right way). So MT is very frustrated that he can’t play!

No matter how you look it, it sucks. I have no idea who’s fault it is. Saint’s doctors, MT not following their advice or whatever. I’m frustrated that we are paying a guy 15-20M a year and he is never on the field. However, the Saints and MT were ready to go this week and now this $&7@@ happens!

Thomas has a huge contract -- there's no way he's dissatisfied with his contract. He's making middle-tier starting QB money on his current 2019 deal. No Leveon Bell situation or anything like that.

I'd like to think a little common sense is all it takes to realize Thomas simply doesn't want to play football. At the very least, he doesn't want to play for the Saints.

Notice how all of the Thomas supporters refuse to address the fact that Thomas completely ignored all efforts of communication from his team, coaches, and trainers for MONTHS after the 2020 season? They were trying to provide him medical treatment for his ankle.... and he refused to communicate with them for months. I'd still love to hear the excuses and reasoning for that.

Users who are viewing this thread