What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

I'd like to think a little common sense
Please practice what you preach
I see that you continue to avoid answering why Thomas ignored and avoided every avenue of communication from his coaches, team, and trainers for MONTHS following the 2020 season. You know... the people who were trying to get him the medical attention that he needed for his ankle.... you know, the ankle that caused him to miss the entire following season?

I see that you continue to avoid answering why Thomas ignored and avoided every avenue of communication from his coaches, team, and trainers for MONTHS following the 2020 season. You know... the people who were trying to get him the medical attention that he needed for his ankle.... you know, the ankle that caused him to miss the entire following season?
Not just me, no one is answering your question because it's not relevant. You think you are clever and got some "gotcha" moment but you don't have anything and delving into discussing it with you just reminds me of the famous Mark Twain post.

But let's go over this one time.

Both the Saints and Michael Thomas agreed on a path of rest and rehab over surgery. Michael Thomas failed to check in with them. He should have but he trusted his own medical people over the Saints doctors and who can blame him. How on earth you think that is some proof he does not want to play when he just returned late the previous season on that same bum ankle and tried to gut it out, and this is after he got paid, is absolutely beyond any rationale thought.

From a key player on the team, someone who would actually know something.

Kamara: "I just saw a couple of comments in the media about him. Basically like, 'You can't trust him. He's not being honest about his injury, why is he waiting until now to be ruled out?' I'm like, man, nobody knows what we go through in here. The masses get to see Sunday."

Kamara: "It's a lot of **** we've got to go through. A player like that, that's fighting to get back, not only for his team, but for the fans and for this city...for people to be talking ****, it's like, ah, it hurts my soul to see that."

Kamara: "Nobody's in here like 'Let me get injured and not play and just get paid.' We get paid to play obviously and we want to be available but when you cant do it, theres certain things you've got to be smart about. He's not going to ruin the rest of his career for right now."

Yeah, he turned on Drew Brees pretty fast when Brees said he didn't agree with kneeling. The don't dare disagree with me diva
Ah, so now I see root of your anti-Thomas sentiment.
Not at all

Nothing anti-Thomas on my end. Just pointing out that he couldn't tolerate anyone having an opinion that was different from his "correct" opinion and instead of sitting down with his long time teammate, immediately takes it to twitter. That's all

I did think it was strange that he seemed to go off the grid when the Saints were trying to get him medical help. Generally the team has the players best interests in getting prepared for the next season. Based on your earlier posts, you seem to think he was better off trusting his own people. How did that work out for him?

From a key player on the team, someone who would actually know something.

Kamara: "I just saw a couple of comments in the media about him. Basically like, 'You can't trust him. He's not being honest about his injury, why is he waiting until now to be ruled out?' I'm like, man, nobody knows what we go through in here. The masses get to see Sunday."

Kamara: "It's a lot of **** we've got to go through. A player like that, that's fighting to get back, not only for his team, but for the fans and for this city...for people to be talking ****, it's like, ah, it hurts my soul to see that."

Kamara: "Nobody's in here like 'Let me get injured and not play and just get paid.' We get paid to play obviously and we want to be available but when you cant do it, theres certain things you've got to be smart about. He's not going to ruin the rest of his career for right now."

Words of wisdom from the same guy who beat up (along with his group of friends) a man who just tried to get on the same elevator as him and his buddies. :ponder:

Based on your earlier posts, you seem to think he was better off trusting his own people. How did that work out for him?
Same way it worked out for him this time when he trusted the Saints medical staff.
Words of wisdom from the same guy who beat up (along with his group of friends) a man who just tried to get on the same elevator as him and his buddies

So he got into an altercation and now nothing he says is valid? Come on man.

Based on your earlier posts, you seem to think he was better off trusting his own people. How did that work out for him?
Same way it worked out for him this time when he trusted the Saints medical staff.
Words of wisdom from the same guy who beat up (along with his group of friends) a man who just tried to get on the same elevator as him and his buddies

So he got into an altercation and now nothing he says is valid? Come on man.
Thomas is also a friend and long time teammate, which probably plays into it.

An altercation in self defense is one thing, but to have a group beat up one guy is pretty cowardly. But having spent some time in Vegas in my younger days, you see a lot of testostorne, especially with younger guys in a large group. Small stuff can escalate pretty quickly and people jump in that shouldn't. I'm sure the "altercation" could have been handled without a beating.

Anyway, agree, a bad spin on my part since I don't have all the information.

Last edited:
Not just me, no one is answering your question because it's not relevant. You think you are clever and got some "gotcha" moment but you don't have anything and delving into discussing it with you just reminds me of the famous Mark Twain post.

But let's go over this one time.

Both the Saints and Michael Thomas agreed on a path of rest and rehab over surgery. Michael Thomas failed to check in with them. He should have but he trusted his own medical people over the Saints doctors and who can blame him. How on earth you think that is some proof he does not want to play when he just returned late the previous season on that same bum ankle and tried to gut it out, and this is after he got paid, is absolutely beyond any rationale thought.
That was your answer? You probably should've kept ignoring the question. Thomas and "The Saints" didn't agree on anything. He ignored them and refused to consult with them at all. His own coach clearly made it known how disappointed he was that Thomas waited 6 MONTHS while ignoring "The Saints" and then decided to get surgery right before the season started. His coach publicly said that is obviously something the team was hoping he would've done much sooner. You are referring to the owner trying smooth over the situations by saying the decision was made to treat it "conservatively"... that was Thomas ignoring his team and deciding to do nothing until after he reported to minicamp in June. Had he not ignored his team, coaches, and trainers, clearly they would've saw that his ankle wasn't healing properly over those 6 months and he would've got the medical attention that he needed.

“It appears we’re going to have to spend some time without him,” he said. “It’s disappointing, but we’ll work through it with the other players that are here. The surgery took place and, obviously, we would’ve liked that to have happened earlier than later and, quite honestly, it should’ve.”
- Sean Payton

Last edited:
That was your answer? You probably should've kept ignoring the question. Thomas and "The Saints" didn't agree on anything. He ignored them and refused to consult with them at all. His own coach clearly made it known how disappointed he was that Thomas waited 6 MONTHS while ignoring "The Saints" and then decided to get surgery right before the season started. His coach publicly said that is obviously something the team was hoping he would've done much sooner.

“It appears we’re going to have to spend some time without him,” he said. “It’s disappointing, but we’ll work through it with the other players that are here. The surgery took place and, obviously, we would’ve liked that to have happened earlier than later and, quite honestly, it should’ve.”
- Sean Payton
You have inaccuracies here and I'd bother to address it but I won't because not a single thing in your "gotcha moment" here has anything to do with Thomas not wanting to play for the Saints.

That was your answer? You probably should've kept ignoring the question. Thomas and "The Saints" didn't agree on anything. He ignored them and refused to consult with them at all. His own coach clearly made it known how disappointed he was that Thomas waited 6 MONTHS while ignoring "The Saints" and then decided to get surgery right before the season started. His coach publicly said that is obviously something the team was hoping he would've done much sooner.

- Sean Payton
You have inaccuracies here and I'd bother to address it but I won't because not a single thing in your "gotcha moment" here has anything to do with Thomas not wanting to play for the Saints.
You are avoiding the truth/facts, almost as much as Michael Thomas avoids the football field.

Think we all need to take a deep breath and let this thread sorta drift to the 2nd/3rd page for a minute.
Clearly we have opposing viewpoints and no one's convincing the other.

He's another in a VERY long list of players who got paid and disappeared with guaranteed money.

The thing that grinds my gears is that the Saints will cut him (edit to add "and miraculously get healthy") and he'll get a nice paycheck somewhere else before disappearing for good.

F that guy.

How can general managers and coaches not see when they’re about to get played??

A former superb player who has lost the desire (and probably the ability) trying get a few more huge money years even though they don’t want to play and don’t plan on being on the field. Players like Michael Thomas (Julio Jones, too) are one-time great players who are ‘’injuring‘’ their reputations by scamming the system.

Watching Matt Ryan last night I got the feeling his heart isn’t in it anymore, either, and his skills have seriously eroded. At least when he’s required to get out on the field, he gets out there.

Saints signed WR Michael Thomas to a restructured contract.​

The restructured deal reduces his 2023 base salary from $15.5 million to $1.2 million while adding a $31.8 million roster bonus in 2024. Thomas also received a $900K signing bonus. The renegotiation sets the stage for the Saints to move on from Thomas this offseason, as his 2024 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster the third day of the new league year. Thomas will likely be designated a post-June cut if he's not back, allowing the Saints to spread his remaining guarantees over the next two years. Releasing Thomas results in a total dead-cap charge of $26 million for the Saints.
SOURCE: ESPN
Jan 7, 2023, 11:52 AM ET

Wouldn't shock me to see Thomas go elsewhere and put up a nice season in 2023.

It would shock the heck out of me to see Thomas go elsewhere and put up, say, three nice seasons in a row.

He might be able to wring out one more fantasy-relevant season. But his body just seems to be breaking down at this point. An ankle sprain either benched him or severely hampered him for the better part of two seasons -- and he's not getting younger.

Wonder if they have already worked out parameters of a trade? Maybe I'm wrong and he'll just be cut but with the thin FA WR market and this low base I'll be surprised if he's not quickly traded when the new league year opens.

When's the last time a player basically rehabbed for three years and just couldn't stay on the field? Dude feels like burnt toast but he does have a game that ages well

No one is trading for a $32M roster bonus for him. This is a way to ease the dead money hit from cutting him.

Yeah that’s my take - purely a move to prepare for the inevitable cut. Saints create $15 million in cap room as they prepare to release WR Michael Thomas in 2023.

He was getting cut regardless after another injury, Olave breaking out, and the guaranteed kicking in for his contract after the start of the new league year. (Saints cap situation is rough too.) This move puts an extra $900K in his pocket, let’s him hit FA a few days earlier most likely, and let’s the Saints have about $14MM in cap relief right away instead of having to carry that $14M on their books until June 2nd.

Curious if he lands wherever Payton lands or somewhere else. Seems a lot of teams would still be interested if he’s willing to go with an incentive laden deal.

NewOrleans.Football's Nick Underhill reports there has been "progress" in extension talks between Michael Thomas and the Saints.

Thomas had already agreed to a "restructure" this offseason that put his roster spot in danger. His 2024 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he remains on the Saints' roster the third day of the new league year. Having barely played since his record-setting 2019, 30-year-old Thomas has become an extravagance the Saints can't afford at his current price. A new deal makes the most sense for both sides.
SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter
Mar 9, 2023, 5:06 PM ET

Quite a surprise from where I thought this was heading but can't hear this stuff and not think he's as good as back with the Saints:

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill
https://twitter.com/nick_underhill
@nick_underhill

Derek Carr: "You talk to Mike Thomas and you feel like you two can go out and face the world"

@Kat_Terrell

47m

Carr said he and Michael Thomas have grown close through this process and that Thomas didn’t want him to get off the phone the first time they talked. He said they ended the call and he looked at his wife and said “Wow, I love this guy.”

@Kat_Terrell

46m

Derek Carr said Michael Thomas wasn’t so much trying to recruit him as he was trying to move ahead several steps and talk about what was next. Thomas’ mindset was that they were wasting time and needed to get to work.

Saints re-signed WR Michael Thomas to a one-year, $10 million contract.

Thomas can earn another $5 million from the "incentive-laden" pact. Nick Underhill reported last week the sides were making progress toward a new agreement after Thomas restructured his formerly mammoth deal in January. Now on the wrong side of 30, Thomas has appeared in just 10 games since his record-setting 2019. It's been about as bad of a fall from grace as you will ever see in the NFL. Provided he still has his legs underneath him, Thomas could still be a highly-valuable weapon for the Saints' remade offense, one that would look much better on paper than its 2022 equivalent. Thomas should have lots of space to operate underneath with second-year pro Chris Olave scaring defenses deep. It's just to the point where we have to believe Thomas' health when we see it.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM ET

Saints re-signed WR Michael Thomas to a one-year, $10 million contract.

Thomas can earn another $5 million from the "incentive-laden" pact. Nick Underhill reported last week the sides were making progress toward a new agreement after Thomas restructured his formerly mammoth deal in January. Now on the wrong side of 30, Thomas has appeared in just 10 games since his record-setting 2019. It's been about as bad of a fall from grace as you will ever see in the NFL. Provided he still has his legs underneath him, Thomas could still be a highly-valuable weapon for the Saints' remade offense, one that would look much better on paper than its 2022 equivalent. Thomas should have lots of space to operate underneath with second-year pro Chris Olave scaring defenses deep. It's just to the point where we have to believe Thomas' health when we see it.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM ET
This is either betting on himself for 2024 or getting one last fat payout for doing nothing. I'm going with the latter.

So glad I'm off the MT ride in dynasty. As a Saints fan I can hope like hell he returns and balls out, but if this is Lucy pulling the football one more time I won't be the one that ends up flat on my back again.

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said Michel Thomas (toe) is not 100 percent.

"We're going to be cautious with it and take our time, and we really don't want to put him out there until he's 100 percent," Allen said of Thomas, who underwent toe surgery in November and in March signed a one-year, incentive-laden deal to remain with the Saints. "I expect him to be fully healthy and ready to go. When that point in time is, I don't want to get into those speculations." Thomas, 30, has been injured for most of the past three years, playing in ten games since the start of the 2020 NFL season. Thomas' range of fantasy outcomes for 2023 are as wide as any player. His ongoing health issues should keep Thomas' redraft ADP fairly low this summer.
SOURCE: Jeff Nowak on Twitter
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:19 AM ET

Saints coach Dennis Allen said he expects WR Michael Thomas (toe) to be "good to go" for training camp.​

"Right now he’s still going through the rehab process. He had some hardware removed that he had surgery on. He’s doing really well. Working extremely hard. Our anticipation is that he’ll be limited throughout this offseason. But when we get to training camp that he’ll be good to go." Thomas has struggled with injures the past three seasons, playing in ten games since the start of the 2020. The Saints will move him slowly this offseason, limiting him in OTAs, but Thomas looks on track for a healthy 2023.
SOURCE: Rich Eisen Show
May 13, 2023, 9:23 AM ET

Saints coach Dennis Allen said he expects WR Michael Thomas (toe) to be "good to go" for training camp.​

"Right now he’s still going through the rehab process. He had some hardware removed that he had surgery on. He’s doing really well. Working extremely hard. Our anticipation is that he’ll be limited throughout this offseason. But when we get to training camp that he’ll be good to go." Thomas has struggled with injures the past three seasons, playing in ten games since the start of the 2020. The Saints will move him slowly this offseason, limiting him in OTAs, but Thomas looks on track for a healthy 2023.
SOURCE: Rich Eisen Show
May 13, 2023, 9:23 AM ET
Until he is hurt by week 2.

Saints HC Dennis Allen said WR Michael Thomas "had hardware removed from his (injured) foot about a week ago."​

The seemingly never-ending saga with Michael Thomas' injured ankle, foot, and toe appears to be coming to an agonizingly slow end after the enigmatic wide receiver reportedly had hardware removed from the foot last week. Allen had been previously quoted as saying he expects Thomas to be ready for the start of camp, but we've all heard that story before numerous times. Thomas' current WR47 average draft position in best ball provides some upside for managers willing to take on the additional risk of his lengthy injury history.
May 13, 2023, 5:40 PM ET

Missed the last two seasons.

Multiple surgeries on the ankle.

Still not ready in June of 2022.

Only rostered due to contract adjustments to keep team out of cap hell.

Team drafted WR Chris Olave in 1st round.

Signed Jarvis Landry recently.

Occam's Razor.

He's done.

Missed most of the last three seasons.

Multiple surgeries A new surgery on the ankle toe this time.

Still not ready on May of 2023.

Only rostered because Mickey Loomis is in cap hell and an idiot.

Chris Olave is awesome.

Jarvis Landry cut, Rashid Shaheed showed well in 2022, AT Perry drafted in 5th

Harry's Razor, he's still done.

(See you next year)

i dont often get lucky in fantasy w trades.... but trading him after his monster season for Lamb and a 1st (i forget who that turned into) ended up being a massive blessing.
hardest fall from grace in football i may have ever witnessed

Users who are viewing this thread