What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

i dont often get lucky in fantasy w trades.... but trading him after his monster season for Lamb and a 1st (i forget who that turned into) ended up being a massive blessing.
hardest fall from grace in football i may have ever witnessed
The other way here, He directly and indirectly cost me Justin Jefferson in two leagues.

In redraft there probably has never been a player that was worse for me to invest in and not remotely close over the last two years. I've spent a ton of draft capital and roster space for those 3 games.

Still have not entirely quit him after all of this but the lack of games/rust/ conditioning now added to his seemingly constant foot/toe issues seems like a lot to overcome.

Is it me or does it seem like a decade since he was relevant? I know he's off the fantasy radar for a lot of people, but could reemerge I suppose.

i dont often get lucky in fantasy w trades.... but trading him after his monster season for Lamb and a 1st (i forget who that turned into) ended up being a massive blessing.
hardest fall from grace in football i may have ever witnessed
The other way here, He directly and indirectly cost me Justin Jefferson in two leagues.

In redraft there probably has never been a player that was worse for me to invest in and not remotely close over the last two years. I've spent a ton of draft capital and roster space for those 3 games.

Still have not entirely quit him after all of this but the lack of games/rust/ conditioning now added to his seemingly constant foot/toe issues seems like a lot to overcome.
Reminds me of Josh Gordon.

plus the lack of brees now... i mean, that's how long ago he put in THAT season.
That's actually never been a concern. I think he's up to an 11 or 12 game sample size that includes Teddy, Taysom and Winston and it's led me to conclude he's as QB proof as it gets. That's part of why I've kept investing in him, where others were worried about QB I saw and continue to see no reason for it.

I wouldn't want to bet on Michael Thomas with his age and the elapsed time since he's been playing (for more than a couple weeks consecutively). However, I would not at all compare him to Josh Gordon or Antonio Brown. They had bigger issues.

plus the lack of brees now... i mean, that's how long ago he put in THAT season.
That's actually never been a concern. I think he's up to an 11 or 12 game sample size that includes Teddy, Taysom and Winston and it's led me to conclude he's as QB proof as it gets. That's part of why I've kept investing in him, where others were worried about QB I saw and continue to see no reason for it.

really? why do I remember his big season being with brees and then he just plummetted into nothingness? he has 56 total catches since he made history. i absolutely could be misremembering. kinda "checked out" after selling him

really? why do I remember his big season being with brees and then he just plummetted into nothingness? he has 56 total catches since he made history. i absolutely could be misremembering. kinda "checked out" after selling him

The nothingness was due to injuries, he’s barely been on the field in 3 years. The rare times he has been he was still very good, the 56 catches are over 10 games in 3 years. All with guys not named Brees.

Even MT’s huge year Brees only played 11 games. 5 were with a combo of Bridgewater & Taysom tossing the rock.

It's very very clear that Michael Thomas does not want to play football. I wouldn't waste a pick on this clown.
Worst take I keep seeing on these boards.
Is it? I've owned him since drafting as a dynasty rookie... I'm still peeved that the year after his contract extension he remained out of communication with Saints and waited until late summer for surgery, which left him MIA that entire season. Would a guy who wants to be ready for game play do that? It has the smell of a guy landing his big payday and not necessarily feeling like doing what it takes to be ready for a football season.

It's very very clear that Michael Thomas does not want to play football. I wouldn't waste a pick on this clown.
Is it? I've owned him since drafting as a dynasty rookie... I'm still peeved that the year after his contract extension he remained out of communication with Saints and waited until late summer for surgery, which left him MIA that entire season. Would a guy who wants to be ready for game play do that? It has the smell of a guy landing his big payday and not necessarily feeling like doing what it takes to be ready for a football season.
Yes and please don't bother quoting me again with this nonsense.

Sounds like a sore topic for you. Obviously I've missed the counter rational for the past 3 seasons... as he occupies my bench.

Sounds like a sore topic for you. Obviously I've missed the counter rational for the past 3 seasons... as he occupies my bench.
Be better then a butt hurt fantasy loser who thinks because a player lets you down he quit.

Be better then a butt hurt fantasy loser who thinks because a player lets you down he quit.
LOL... "butt hurt"? Get a grip guy. Just back away if this is that touchy a topic for you. Others are going to have opinions here.

LOL... "butt hurt"? Get a grip guy. Just back away if this is that touchy a topic for you. Others are going to have opinions here.
I'm not touchy I just tired of ignorance which is I asked for to no longer quote me on such stupidity when it's obvious you and everyone who utters this nonsense is mad because he let you down in fantasy football. Don't bother, I'll use the ignore function since you can't follow a simple request.

I'm not touchy I just tired of ignorance which is I asked for to no longer quote me on such stupidity when it's obvious you and everyone who utters this nonsense is mad because he let you down in fantasy football. Don't bother, I'll use the ignore function since you can't follow a simple request.
Thank you.

I wouldn’t say that. Are you a mind reader? He may come back and not be the same player, but it’s probably not wise to make those kinds of assumptions.

I wouldn’t say that. Are you a mind reader? He may come back and not be the same player, but it’s probably not wise to make those kinds of assumptions.
An awful lot of people believe Thomas has gone down Diva road. I don't keep a log. Maybe its a comment here, an argument with a team mate there... but I've gotten that vibe for quite some time now. And he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

He may come back and not be the same player
Not happening. 2019 was the last time we've seen Michael Thomas play relevant football. Why don't we just bring back Megatron for Christ's sake?

MT is old, he got paid and doesn't give a rat's *** about football. He's done ✅

Not happening. 2019 was the last time we've seen Michael Thomas play relevant football. Why don't we just bring back Megatron for Christ's sake?

If true, cuz I have no idea if it is... But it truly surprises me that more players don't do this. Get a contract with whatever guaranteed and then just stroll thru it. Don't kill you body any more than you have to, make a killing, and walk away.

Not everyone that plays the sport, loves the sport.

Rash statements like this can make you look foolish more often than not. Since we don't know what's in a persons brain, we should probably error on the side of caution when speaking.

Rash statements like this can make you look foolish more often than not. Since we don't know what's in a persons brain, we should probably error on the side of caution when speaking.
Haven't you seen enough to form an educated guess as to what's happening? What more do you need? He won't play hurt, he purposely held off on rehab, he milks every little injury and stole tens of millions from New Orleans. He's on the wrong side of 30, IT'S OVER.

Here's a refresher in case anyone was wondering

If true, cuz I have no idea if it is... But it truly surprises me that more players don't do this. Get a contract with whatever guaranteed and then just stroll thru it. Don't kill you body any more than you have to, make a killing, and walk away.

i agree with this in a strange way, but if this ever became a trend, the next trend will be little or no guarantee in contracts. i'd imagine even the players union would step up since it would impact all player contracts.

Haven't you seen enough to form an educated guess as to what's happening? What more do you need? He won't play hurt, he purposely held off on rehab, he milks every little injury and stole tens of millions from New Orleans. He's on the wrong side of 30, IT'S OVER.
He’s just turned 30 and everything else has zero truth behind it. You just don’t like him, and it ok to say that.

i agree with this in a strange way, but if this ever became a trend, the next trend will be little or no guarantee in contracts. i'd imagine even the players union would step up since it would impact all player contracts.

The majority of players love the game, and are ultra competitive. So I don't see it being a trend that'd be worthy of a huge fuss. But it for sure happens, has happened and will continue to happen. It;s amazing how after the fact, some all time great players come out and talk about how little they enjoyed the sport. Most of those walked away fairly early.

The first I ever remember doing this was Batistuta in football (soccer). I was mindblown when I heard it, it made no sense. I was young and couldnt comprehend it. I'm older now and I get it 100%. Money can push you to do anything, to a point. Then it's worth walking away (or coasting) until you just get the boot.

He’s just turned 30 and everything else has zero truth behind it. You just don’t like him, and it ok to say that.
No truth? He's played in just 10 games since 2019, he milked injuries, lied to the coaching staff and threw everyone under the bus. If you're in Dynasty and still stuck on MT then you probably suck. Just saying.

No truth? He's played in just 10 games since 2019, he milked injuries, lied to the coaching staff and threw everyone under the bus. If you're in Dynasty and still stuck on MT then you probably suck. Just saying.
Why are you being so abrasive? You attract more bees with honey than vinegar as my mom always said.

The big question to me is why did the Saints bring him back? There must be something between his injury status and current state of mind where they believe it made sense to bring him back. I thought there was zero chance of this happening after last season, between this and him flashing the few games he played, I think there is some hope.

If you're in Dynasty and still stuck on MT then you probably suck. Just saying.
WTF?
I mean his user name is League Champion, so pretty sure we all have to take his word as gospel. If the name was League Chumpion, or Perennial 4th Place, or Endless Dynasty Rebuild or something, then maybe his comments would lack weight and we could respectfully disagree, but no, it's League Champion, so I'm thinking we just have to obey.

The big question to me is why did the Saints bring him back? There must be something between his injury status and current state of mind where they believe it made sense to bring him back. I thought there was zero chance of this happening after last season, between this and him flashing the few games he played, I think there is some hope.
Been burned too many times. I just can't get on the Mike train again this year....which means he'll have a monster year.

Michael Thomas (foot) told reporters he would be ready for training camp "Day 1, full speed."

We would forgive you for having a little skepticism after how the last few years have unfolded. Thomas did set foot on the practice field today but mostly worked off to the side, though he did get some individual time with the quarterbacks. Dennis Allen and Thomas are now both on record saying that Thomas will be ready for training camp. He had some "hardware" removed from his foot in early May.
SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter
Jun 6, 2023, 2:07 PM ET

I don't exactly have high hopes for him, BUT the extension he signed seems highly contingent on him being healthy and playing well this year, and he very much bet on himself. Maybe he's cooked and he just retires, but if he's in it for the $$$ he needs to be healthy, play games and play well. A ton of incentive triggers. There was also a clause in the contract that if he passed his physical on or around April 21 it would trigger a $5 million signing bonus and guarantee his base salary for the year. Anybody hear anything about passing it? Not seeing anything about him passing a physical in April.

League Champion, so pretty sure we all have to take his word as gospel.
At least someone understands.

I know people don't want to hear it, but MT is a useless, lazy bum who doesn't want to play football. He got paid and vanished like a Vegas magic show ✨

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
I think we're supposed to say waitstaff. At least that was what my secretary said while I was chatting up a stewardess on the way to a Redskins game.

There was also a clause in the contract that if he passed his physical on or around April 21 it would trigger a $5 million signing bonus and guarantee his base salary for the year. Anybody hear anything about passing it? Not seeing anything about him passing a physical in April.
Nothing came out in local media about this April 21st physical one way or the other. IMHO, he either didn't take the April physical or else he took it and didn't pass it. The circumstantial evidence is that Michael Thomas was not a full go for team OTAs last month.

Users who are viewing this thread