What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Santana Moss Ready to Shine (1 Viewer)

Chris Smith

The Head Goon!
Every year there are players that emerge as top fantasy performers that owners look back on and exclaim "Why didn't I see that coming?"

This year one of those players will be Santana Moss.

Just two seasons ago, a healthy Moss dominated his opposition, finishing with 74 receptions for 1,105 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. That was good for 8th overall at the receiver position.

Last year, he slipped back to 33rd at the receiver position and now he has fallen off of most people's radars. However there was a reason he suffered through a less than memorable season a year ago. He had an injured hamstring that he suffered through instead of taking the time off to have it heal. As a result some of his explosiveness and ability to make sharp cuts was taken away from him and he couldn't create the seperation he did in years past.

Here are some of the reasons why Moss will rank inside the top twenty...

1) Unbelievable speed and quickness

2) One of the best route runners in the NFL

3) He is the clear cut # 1 receiver

4) Last season, Coles finished 2nd overall in targets and caught 90 passes. That is the role that Moss is stepping into.

5) A healthy Moss is very difficult to cover due to his ability to cut on a dime

6) Patrick Ramsey loves this kid.

7) He has a refreshing attitude, allowing his skills to talk instead of his mouth.

Here are a couple of Blogger quotes in regards to Moss.

WR S. Moss Specializes In Route Running

Nunyo Demasio, Washington Post - [Full Article]

New Redskins' receiver Santana Moss is impressing folks with his work on the practice field. However it is his superb route-running moreso than his god-given speed that is turning heads. "Santana runs really good routes," said quarterback Patrick Ramsey. "He recognizes the fact that if you focus on that and combine that with his speed, he can certainly be very explosive." Moss takes pride in running great routes and works hard on perfecting the craft.

WR Moss Team's Primary Deep Threat

Paul Woody, Sporting News - [Full Article]

Santana Moss will be counted on to be the team's primary deep threat next season, and if he avoids injuries, he should be able to deliver in the role. Moss is exceptionally fast, gets in and out of breaks quickly and smoothly, adjusts to the ball in the air and can make contested catches. Moss is small, but his speed and quickness compensate for his size. Those traits also give him an advantage on the bigger cornerbacks that are becoming more prevalent in the league. He also provides the team with a home run threat as an occasional punt returner.

Remember this. Despite being injured much of last year, Moss still managed to finish with 838 passing yards and 5 touchdowns on the season.

Sure the Redskins quarterbacking situation isn't ideal but Moss appears destined to have a bunch of passes thrown his way in 2005 and he is the type of player to make things happen with the ball in his hand. You can get him in round eight or later and he will, if healthy greatly exceed the projections being laid out for him.

Don't miss the boat when it comes to Moss in 2005. He may end up the SOD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've felt the same way about Moss the whole offseason. The Jets didn't pass a whole lot last year due to C-Mart's great year and the Redskins WRs had lots of targets (only to do nothing with them). I had forgotten about the hammy though, so now I like him even more.

Every year there are players that emerge as top fantasy performers that owners look back on and exclaim "Why didn't I see that coming?"

This year one of those players will be Santana Moss.

Just two seasons ago, a healthy Moss dominated his opposition, finishing with 74 receptions for 1,105 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns. That was good for 8th overall at the receiver position.

Last year, he slipped back to 33rd at the receiver position and now he has fallen off of most people's radars. However there was a reason he suffered through a less than memorable season a year ago. He had an injured hamstring that he suffered through instead of taking the time off to have it heal. As a result some of his explosiveness and ability to make sharp cuts was taken away from him and he couldn't create the seperation he did in years past.

Here are some of the reasons why Moss will rank inside the top twenty...

1) Unbelievable speed and quickness

2) One of the best route runners in the NFL

3) He is the clear cut # 1 receiver

4) Last season, Coles finished 2nd overall in targets and caught 90 passes. That is the role that Moss is stepping into.

5) A healthy Moss is very difficult to cover due to his ability to cut on a dime

6) Patrick Ramsey loves this kid.

7) He has a refreshing attitude, allowing his skills to talk instead of his mouth.

Here are a couple of Blogger quotes in regards to Moss.

WR S. Moss Specializes In Route Running

Nunyo Demasio, Washington Post - [Full Article]

New Redskins' receiver Santana Moss is impressing folks with his work on the practice field. However it is his superb route-running moreso than his god-given speed that is turning heads. "Santana runs really good routes," said quarterback Patrick Ramsey. "He recognizes the fact that if you focus on that and combine that with his speed, he can certainly be very explosive." Moss takes pride in running great routes and works hard on perfecting the craft.

WR Moss Team's Primary Deep Threat

Paul Woody, Sporting News - [Full Article]

Santana Moss will be counted on to be the team's primary deep threat next season, and if he avoids injuries, he should be able to deliver in the role. Moss is exceptionally fast, gets in and out of breaks quickly and smoothly, adjusts to the ball in the air and can make contested catches. Moss is small, but his speed and quickness compensate for his size. Those traits also give him an advantage on the bigger cornerbacks that are becoming more prevalent in the league. He also provides the team with a home run threat as an occasional punt returner.

Remember this. Despite being injured much of last year, Moss still managed to finish with 838 passing yards and 5 touchdowns on the season.

Sure the Redskins quarterbacking situation isn't ideal but Moss appears destined to have a bunch of passes thrown his way in 2005 and he is the type of player to make things happen with the ball in his hand. You can get him in round eight or later and he will, if healthy greatly exceed the projections being laid out for him.

Don't miss the boat when it comes to Moss in 2005. He may end up the SOD.
:goodposting: The one thing that has continued to amaze me all off-season is the amount of respect that Coles is geting in comparision to that of S.Moss. As I have been saying all off-season, if Moss can manage to see 2/3 of the targets that Coles got last year, his owners will be VERY pleased with the results.

I was always under the impression that a WR going to a new team struggles for a good part of their first season. I think Coles will be the exception since he had such a great connection with Pennington the first time around.

Part of the reason that Coles gets more respect is because he is a better reciever who has put up better #'s over his career. No doubt Moss could break out and catch close to 80 balls like he did 2 years ago but you know you are going to get that from Coles. I would try to support the wide out position with some late round draft picks if I chose to reach for Moss.

In a current 12 team draft against many of your fellow staffers I nabbed him at 8.04 :shock: start 3 WR & PPR nonetheless.I like him in PPR leagues but believe he is only slightly undervalued because of his limited upside due to Ramsey and his TD capability.

The most reasonable comparison we can make between Coles and Moss is to look at Coles' 2002 season with the Jets and Moss' 2003 season with the Jets. Both were in the same system and the same role in that system while catching passes from the same QBs (give or takes).Coles had 1264 yards and 5 TDs in his big year.Moss had 1105 yards with 10 TDs in his big year.Don't see much there that would lead me to believe Coles is vastly superior. And the big kicker is that Coles was healthy in 2002 but hasn't really been healthy since, while there is no indication than Moss has any lingering health issues.

Part of the reason that Coles gets more respect is because he is a better reciever who has put up better #'s over his career. No doubt Moss could break out and catch close to 80 balls like he did 2 years ago but you know you are going to get that from Coles.

I would try to support the wide out position with some late round draft picks if I chose to reach for Moss.
I could care less about the Rec, where in the world are the TDs and playmaking ability from Coles? This guy was the 2nd most targeted player in the NFL last year and 4th the year before in Wash. Yet he scores only 7 TDs in 2 years on 172 catches and 320 targets (the most of any player over that 2 year span). It's rather clear that his foot injury was a large problem for him last year and nothing was done to correct it. Simply teaming with his old QB is not going to suddenly get Coles his burst and seperation back. That will have to be done on his own and I for one don't think it will be.

I think Moss' ADP of WR 35 is right on - a decent play for a 9th round pick and possibly your 4th WR. I look at those WR's above him and find it hard to move him up at all.... Maybe a few spots into the top 30 range tops - good for your #3 or #4 WRColes didn't only get respect from Fantasy players - Jet players lobbied for the exchange of Moss for Coles - Pennington was willing to give up part of his salary for the opportunity to throw to Coles again over Moss..... I think that says a TON -Even knowing Coles has a questionable toe - If Coles toe was 100% this deal would be an outright laugher. I think Chad and the Jets were frustrated with Moss and his limitations and knew there was no way in hell Moss was getting a money contract from them. Reasons I don't think he's a 1 or 2 starting WR (Top 20):1) Offense / Inconsistency2) Lack of a complimentary WR - To me Moss is a nice NFL#2 WR to go along with a stud or at least another very good option - Do the Skins have this? So you mean Moss may get extra coverage?3) QB - Enough said.. Ramsey loves this kid???? Great. I think a star QB could make a difference, I'm not sold on Ramsey.4) It seems that more often than not Moss is "Questionable" or working out some kind of Hammy injury - wether he's on the report or not - so there goes his advantages.. Every time he take a pop you need to pray.5) He simply cannot out muscle many DB's for a ball - The accuracy and timing need to be damn perfect - back to needing a great QB and offense.Now, even if Moss did stay healthy :Cough Cough BS: and did get the targets to get near top 20 - I think it will be on an incredibly excruciatingly inconsistent basis with a great day and then a lot of days with nothing and if he's there for your playoffs then more power to you , Probably won't be on my roster.I just think Moss could work well in a high powered, already solid offense... Put him on the Rams of KC and let him play a role. Tell me Moss is the #1 WR that an offense is counting on and I think that's a recipe for mediocrity and a let down.

I think Moss' ADP of WR 35 is right on - a decent play for a 9th round pick and possibly your 4th WR. I look at those WR's above him and find it hard to move him up at all.... Maybe a few spots into the top 30 range tops - good for your #3 or #4 WR

Coles didn't only get respect from Fantasy players - Jet players lobbied for the exchange of Moss for Coles - Pennington was willing to give up part of his salary for the opportunity to throw to Coles again over Moss..... I think that says a TON -Even knowing Coles has a questionable toe - If Coles toe was 100% this deal would be an outright laugher. I think Chad and the Jets were frustrated with Moss and his limitations and knew there was no way in hell Moss was getting a money contract from them.

Reasons I don't think he's a 1 or 2 starting WR (Top 20):

1) Offense / Inconsistency

2) Lack of a complimentary WR - To me Moss is a nice NFL#2 WR to go along with a stud or at least another very good option - Do the Skins have this? So you mean Moss may get extra coverage?

3) QB - Enough said.. Ramsey loves this kid???? Great. I think a star QB could make a difference, I'm not sold on Ramsey.

4) It seems that more often than not Moss is "Questionable" or working out some kind of Hammy injury - wether he's on the report or not - so there goes his advantages.. Every time he take a pop you need to pray.

5) He simply cannot out muscle many DB's for a ball - The accuracy and timing need to be damn perfect - back to needing a great QB and offense.

Now, even if Moss did stay healthy :Cough Cough BS: and did get the targets to get near top 20 - I think it will be on an incredibly excruciatingly inconsistent basis with a great day and then a lot of days with nothing and if he's there for your playoffs then more power to you , Probably won't be on my roster.

I just think Moss could work well in a high powered, already solid offense... Put him on the Rams of KC and let him play a role. Tell me Moss is the #1 WR that an offense is counting on and I think that's a recipe for mediocrity and a let down.
So the Jets, frustrated that their #1 WR was unable to stay healthy the last few years, traded to get back a WR who now has a lingering and well known foot injury that prevents him from being 100% healthy. :confused: As HS showed us, when both were healthy and in as similar situations as you can ask for, these were the nubmers:

Moss, 74 rec 1105 yds 14.9 avg 10 TDs = 170.5 fantasy points

Coles, 89 rec 1264 yds 14.2 avg 5 TDs = 156.4 fantasy points

For the 2nd time now, Moss will be are walking into a very similar situation as Coles. Once in 03, now in 05. Moss will again prove more effective and outproduce Coles so long as he is healthy.

Part of the reason that Coles gets more respect is because he is a better reciever who has put up better #'s over his career.  No doubt Moss could break out and catch close to 80 balls like he did 2 years ago but you know you are going to get that from Coles. 

I would try to support the wide out position with some late round draft picks if I chose to reach for Moss.
I could care less about the Rec, where in the world are the TDs and playmaking ability from Coles? This guy was the 2nd most targeted player in the NFL last year and 4th the year before in Wash. Yet he scores only 7 TDs in 2 years on 172 catches and 320 targets (the most of any player over that 2 year span). It's rather clear that his foot injury was a large problem for him last year and nothing was done to correct it. Simply teaming with his old QB is not going to suddenly get Coles his burst and seperation back. That will have to be done on his own and I for one don't think it will be.
As far as Coles and TD's, I remember when people said Holt couldn't get TD's....

Granted Coles needs to stay healthy but, back to Moss - The guy also has incredible injury concerns getting out of bed in the morning.

I admit Coles has concerns at his ADP - But, that doesn't change my mind about Moss not being a #1 WR in this questionable offense and not wanting him at his ADP.......

As a Jets homer who's seen a ton of both of these guys, there's a good chance I won't have either one of em given their health questions and QB questions at their current ADP.....

Now, in some drafts Coles is falling quite a bit on that faulty Toe injury story that was really his heal - I got him in one of he Mock board SSL's at 6.7 in a 14 team draft which I thought was pretty good value and closer to where Moss goes.

The real value of all this is McCareins.

I've actually been thinking the same thing...........then I start to hear just how bad the passing game is in Washington. I was surprised he didn't do better last year.I think he's worth taking as your WR3...........I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him at this point as a WR2.

So the Jets, frustrated that their #1 WR was unable to stay healthy the last few years, traded to get back a WR who now has a lingering and well known foot injury that prevents him from being 100% healthy. :confused:

As HS showed us, when both were healthy and in as similar situations as you can ask for, these were the nubmers:

Moss, 74 rec 1105 yds 14.9 avg 10 TDs = 170.5 fantasy points

Coles, 89 rec 1264 yds 14.2 avg 5 TDs = 156.4 fantasy points
Yup.Given that both guys are injury concerns - the Jets loved the TALENT and upside of Coles a lot better, as did their teammates.

While I appreciate the heads up on Moss one reason to temper your expectations is that many of Coles 90 targets last year were caught on one hop or he watched the ball sail overhead.Also I'm a little concerned about Jacobs breaking out and being the TD guy as Gardner was last year.

Coles had 90 Recp for a weak team and QB.. He is by far the better player in a better offense.. I'll take that over history. TD's are different every year but targets is what we need to look at with WR's. Coles is by far in the better setup..

Coles had 90 Recp for a weak team and QB.. He is by far the better player in a better offense.. I'll take that over history. TD's are different every year but targets is what we need to look at with WR's. Coles is by far in the better setup..
:confused: Coles will now be in NY, not Wash.... Moss walks into the situation that gave Coles all those targets and Coles is leaving it. I think you have it backwards.

Coles had 90 Recp for a weak team and QB..  He is by far the better player in a better offense..  I'll take that over history.  TD's are different every year but targets is what we need to look at with WR's.  Coles is by far in the better setup..
:confused: Coles will now be in NY, not Wash.... Moss walks into the situation that gave Coles all those targets and Coles is leaving it. I think you have it backwards.
I understand.. Last year in Was. he had 90 receiptions for a mediocre QB.. now with a better QB I can see 90-100 and 7-8 TD's. He does have rapport with Pennington.. Moss I don't think will be that type of receiver..

Moss = #3/#4 WRColes = #2/#3 WRI don't think it'd be far fetched to see Cooley leads this team in receiving & Jason Campbell will play at some point this year.

In the past three seasons on 261 receptions, Coles caught a total of 12 touchdown passes. He doesn't appear to have a real nose for the endzone. However I am not debating the pros and cons of Coles with the New York Jets.I admit the one worry with Moss is his injury history but at least he did play through pain a year ago and we need to remember that the Jets offense a year ago(a) was ultra-effective running the ball, making the passing game an afterthought at times(b) was conservative to the extreme hence the reason why the Jets are opening up the passing game this year.I see no reason for Moss to see less than the 10.8 passes per game in his direction. If he catches 50% of those passes per game he will average around 5.4 receptions per game.Once Moss has the ball in his hands, I don't believe anybody out there will deny he is much more explosive and capable of making a big play than Coles.The Jets only threw 437 passes last year and the leading receiver in receptions was McCareins with only 56. Moss led the team in both receiving yardage and touchdowns.The Redskins will likely pass more than 437 times this season and unlike the Jets who completed 103 passes to their running backs a year ago, Moss will be the first option on a good percentage of the passing plays.If you are looking for mid-round value with considerable upside then Santana is your guy.

Moss = #3/#4 WR

Coles = #2/#3 WR

I don't think it'd be far fetched to see Cooley leads this team in receiving & Jason Campbell will play at some point this year.
If the Redskins defense suffers through a mediocre season like many believe they may, the Redskins will pass the ball at least the same amount as last year (509 attempts). No matter who is throwing those passes, at least 50% of those will wind up completions. So say 255 completions for the season. Even if Cooley catches 60 passes which would be a great season for him and the running backs catch 60 more which is greater than a year ago, that would still like 135 receptions up for grabs for the receivers.And that scenario above is with a 50% completion rate. As bad as Ramsey was at times a year ago, he still managed a 62.1% completion rate. Chances are there will be at least 275 completions this season which gives Moss a great opportunity to catch 80+ passes and to make several big plays on the season.

He is worth a shot as there are very few # 3 or lower receivers that give you the upside of Moss.

Coles had 90 Recp for a weak team and QB..  He is by far the better player in a better offense..  I'll take that over history.  TD's are different every year but targets is what we need to look at with WR's.  Coles is by far in the better setup..
I understand.. Last year in Was. he had 90 receiptions for a mediocre QB.. now with a better QB I can see 90-100 and 7-8 TD's. He does have rapport with Pennington.. Moss I don't think will be that type of receiver..
That makes zippy sense my friend. You just completely contradicted yourself.Not just picking on you, - I've seen a quite a few staements here that don't make sense.

You have the guy talking about Coles' 90 targets last year when he had 90 RECEPTIONS, and we have you talking about Coles' situation being better, when the #1 receiver for Washington received a TON more looks than the #1 receiver for the Jets with no indication that that will change.

Then we statements about how Moss can't out-muscle DBs. Of course he doesn't outmouscle DBs, he goes AROUND them and PAST them. That's his game. It is also implied that Coles CAN out-muscle DBs which I've never seen. Coles has the same style Moss has - he is (or WAS) very quick and fast, rather than strong. He's 5'11 193 for goodness sake - not all the much different than Moss.

Then we have statements about how the Jets prefer Coles to Moss so much when if you thought about it for just a second you'd realize that Washington feels exactly the opposite way. Of COURSE Pennington wants Coles back. He's thinking back to his glory days in the ONE YEAR where he looked like a good QB. A lot has changed since then.

There have been some decent points against Moss in this discussion. He does lack a quality #2 to take the pressure of of him. His offense ISN'T the best in the world (though it DOES present a lot of opportunities for the #1 receiver). He does have trouble staying healthy (though he has played in 46 of his last 48 games). But these are reasons not to take him in the top 10 (where he did finish once), they are not reasons to dismiss him completely like a lot of you are doing.

He has obvious talent and clear opportunity and those are the primary ingredients for a decent fantasy season.

Well said Chris! I am of the opinion that the only thing that can keep Moss from being a solid WR2 this year is injury. If he stays on the field, I see very little chance that his targets are not 140+ and that his rec are not 65+. Given that kind of opportunity, Moss will makes plays and the yds/TDs will come along with them. On top of that, hyis ceiling could be much higher than that. At his ADP and current value, I say get this guy on your team now. The risk is very minmal compared to the reward right now. I traded for him earlier in the off-season and IMO, that deal is only looking better and better as the weeks go by.

I agree with the fact the S. Moss has an opportunity to see more targets this year. He should be around 15 yds/reception. Moss is one of those players, like Chris pointed out, that has a good chance to exceed their ADP.However, even IF he is healthy, there is no guarantee that he will put up big TD numbers. He does not have enough of a track record to reasonably predict TD's.I went to my 2004 FBG's Stat Book to see details on his '03 season. S. Moss's TD length was: 32/4/18/60/8/25/11/65/48/3He showed big play ability, with 1/2 his TD's being greater than 20 yds. If we had the chance to replay those TD's; we'd be able to see if they were a result of Santana's speed & "nose for the end zone", or that Pennington's accuracy put him in a position to use his speed and beat a defense.Other little tidbits, among others in the stat book, he had a stretch where he scored a TD in 7 games straight (wks. 6-12), with 3 against the Giants. He was shut out of the end zone weeks 13-17 and averaged only 54 yards receiving per game from weeks 11-17.LHUCKS got very good value for him in that survivor draft, but he is not a guy I am going to reach for either.

Part of the reason that Coles gets more respect is because he is a better reciever who has put up better #'s over his career. No doubt Moss could break out and catch close to 80 balls like he did 2 years ago but you know you are going to get that from Coles.
I'm not sure you can expect the usual numbers from Coles. He'll have to share with a solid complementary receiver in McCareins (and who has already played for Heimerdinger), as well as a good pass-catching TE in Jolley.Moss is probably in a better position from a surrounding receiver standpoint, but Coles indeed benefits from the chemistry with Chad and a better system.

Tough call.

Iv'e always stayed away from Santana, and glad I have. very much an under-achiever so far. being on special teams probably hasn't helped his receiving. He is very fast and could break out, but I don't see it. I consider him a variable +/- and won't touch him.

Iv'e always stayed away from Santana, and glad I have. very much an under-achiever so far. being on special teams probably hasn't helped his receiving. He is very fast and could break out, but I don't see it. I consider him a variable +/- and won't touch him.
He has already "broken out".

Snagged Moss at 8.10 in a No Mercy draft as WR4 behind Holt, Roy, and Boldin.I agree that Moss is an excellent roll of the dice anywhere from round 7 on. As always, it's a great idea to look at top performers from two years back (2003 in this case) who failed to duplicate that success in 2004 and figure out why. Moss' "why" can be explained by the lingering hammy that really detracts from his strengths, his cutting ability and quickness.

Moss doesn't have the ability of a top tier WR to get open enough on a consistent basis to put up good stats game to game to game. There's nothing worse than starting a guy for 3 weeks and getting 17 yds, 65 yds, 16 yds....then sitting him and watching him go off for 111 yds on your bench.Incidentally, the 17-65-16-111 yds were a 4 game stretch for him weeks 3-4-5-6 in 2004 when he put up good overall numbers on the year. In that year, he still had games with 12-17-16-13 yds in that season. Too inconsistent.

In a current 12 team draft against many of your fellow staffers I nabbed him at 8.04 :shock:

start 3 WR & PPR nonetheless.

I like him in PPR leagues but believe he is only slightly undervalued because of his limited upside due to Ramsey and his TD capability.
I got S Moss 11.6 in a 12 team redrart this morning :eek: I got Moulds 10.7 :eek:

Could not believe both were there..........This league is pretty competitive too I thought.

Good call Chris. I was very bullish on Moss as he's littered my rosters. Your post helped out a lot.
A bit early on the good call - I'd imagine most Moss owners didn't start him this week Vs Dallas and that for most of the year he'll be incredibly unpredictable...They hit on 2 bombs and the guy was actually healthy... To be continued.

Moss doesn't have the ability of a top tier WR to get open enough on a consistent basis to put up good stats game to game to game. There's nothing worse than starting a guy for 3 weeks and getting 17 yds, 65 yds, 16 yds....then sitting him and watching him go off for 111 yds on your bench.

Incidentally, the 17-65-16-111 yds were a 4 game stretch for him weeks 3-4-5-6 in 2004 when he put up good overall numbers on the year. In that year, he still had games with 12-17-16-13 yds in that season. Too inconsistent.
Good Call.

Santana won my game for me last night w/that 2nd TD. I'm still trying to move him though
Same here. Would not have started him without the Javon injury or if I had been able to make a decent WR trade. I'll still deal him in a package for a WR stud if possible, which it should be after that performance.

Here's the problem with rankings and players like Santana Moss on bad offenses. I would bet that Moss was not in at least 1/2 the starting lineups last night. So those monstrous (36 points in our league) stats don't even count. Last night he got more yards on 2 bombs than Washington normally throws for in a week. Will be the ultimate inconsistent receivers. Next week, he is likely to get 3 catches for 30 yards. 3 points. 39 points over 2 weeks, but you reaped the benefits of exactly 3. Not knocking the projection at all, great call, but inconsistent WR's are the bane of many a fantasy football team. Points don't count unless the guy is in your lineup. You have to have some possibility of predicting performance. It is a crapshoot, but guys like Moss drive me insane. "What, he's the 8th best WR in the league? How come he hasn't done jack for me?"

Here's the problem with rankings and players like Santana Moss on bad offenses. I would bet that Moss was not in at least 1/2 the starting lineups last night. So those monstrous (36 points in our league) stats don't even count. Last night he got more yards on 2 bombs than Washington normally throws for in a week. Will be the ultimate inconsistent receivers. Next week, he is likely to get 3 catches for 30 yards. 3 points. 39 points over 2 weeks, but you reaped the benefits of exactly 3. Not knocking the projection at all, great call, but inconsistent WR's are the bane of many a fantasy football team. Points don't count unless the guy is in your lineup. You have to have some possibility of predicting performance. It is a crapshoot, but guys like Moss drive me insane. "What, he's the 8th best WR in the league? How come he hasn't done jack for me?"
One of the better posts I have seen in a while. Nobody hardly EVER brings this up. All people talk about is "such and such is ranked top ten", or "such and such will finish the year as the #whatever WR", but how do they get their points? In what increments and against what opponents? This goes for QB's and WR's most of all. If they are getting points against opponents you didn't start them against, all in a couple of games, their ranking is meaningless...but the ranking is what is focused on more than anything.

I'm having trouble with the consistency argument here. ALL WRs not named Moss (oh wait ;) ) are inconsistent.So far, S. Moss HAS been consistent. Why? Becuase he is their only receiver worth a darn and because when he catches the ball he has as good a chance as any receiver in the league of scoring with it.So who are these "consistent" guys we should be looking for instead of the guy with nearly a hundred 100 yards and 1+ TDs each week so far?R Moss? T Owens? T Holt? Chad Johnson? Yeah, we knew that already. 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks are better and "more consitent" than Moss. Got it.Now who? Gets interesting doesn't it? Harrison probably, but Colts 2005 don't look like Colts 2004 so far and he has laid one egg in two weeks. Same with Wayne, except he has laid TWO eggs in two weeks. Michael Clayton? Love the kid, but he hasn't exactly been "consistent" either. Steve Smith? Everybody loves this guy and for good reason, but how is he any different than Moss? So far, one great game and one stinker. Boldin? One good game, one very mediocre game. Jimmy Smith? One great game, one stinker. Rod Smith? Now THERE'S a consistent WR. Unfortunately, he's consistently average. And on and on.The point is that nearly ALL WRs are inconsistent, but only some of them get the label.Moss will be better and probably "more consistent" than a BUNCH of the receivers drafted before him, but if you guys want to pull an ostrich and label the guy inconsistent IN 2005 (which is all that is relavent at this point), go for it.

Good call Chris.  I was very bullish on Moss as he's littered my rosters.  Your post helped out a lot.
A bit early on the good call - I'd imagine most Moss owners didn't start him this week Vs Dallas and that for most of the year he'll be incredibly unpredictable...They hit on 2 bombs and the guy was actually healthy... To be continued.
You imagine wrong.I started him. McCardell blew up on Dallas last week. Moss was clearly the #1 on Washington, so I believed his opportunities were coming. I just didn't imagine 2 long td's in a span of a few minutes.

For the rest of the year, he clearly is the #1 on that team. Washington also has an easy schedule - crossing over against the AFC West and the NFC West. Moss may BLOW UP, but at the worst will be very productive even in that offense.

Good call Chris.  I was very bullish on Moss as he's littered my rosters.  Your post helped out a lot.
You imagine wrong.I started him. McCardell blew up on Dallas last week. Moss was clearly the #1 on Washington, so I believed his opportunities were coming. I just didn't imagine 2 long td's in a span of a few minutes.

For the rest of the year, he clearly is the #1 on that team. Washington also has an easy schedule - crossing over against the AFC West and the NFC West. Moss may BLOW UP, but at the worst will be very productive even in that offense.
YOU started him, therefore I'm WRONG :eek: Hey we all have our Rankings - FBG had him at 38 this week - I can see him a bit higher than that but, he still won't get a start on any of my teams....

I'd still have to bet that very few teams started him - Congrats to you though - Great call on the Mcardell thingee...... You must have been sweating bullets for 56 minutes though if you needed a miracle.

The average WR3 garnered 8 ppg last year. So Moss doesn't show up one week and you lose 5 points to the average. The next week you'll likely get average or better production. For reference, the median WR3's last year were Housh, Fitz, Patten, and Moss. Despite all this consistancy talk, in reality a fantasy WR3 walks like a Moss, talks like a Moss, and scores like a Moss.

Also wanted to add that I don't want consistancy from my WR3, I want a guy that can single handledly win games when my studs have a blah week or my opponent has a sleeper go off. Moss won two games for me last night that I was down 30+ points.

The average WR3 garnered 8 ppg last year.  So Moss doesn't show up one week and you lose 5 points to the average.  The next week you'll likely get average or better production.  For reference, the median WR3's last year were Housh, Fitz, Patten, and Moss.  Despite all this consistancy talk, in reality a fantasy WR3 walks like a Moss, talks like a Moss, and scores like a Moss.
Fair enough. Hence the FBG ranking of 38 this week - In that range of top 40 or so WR3 options we all have our favorites depending on matchups and all.... If this thread was all about Moss being a real good WR3 option I would never have posted here.... This thread was about a SOD candidate - I don't think a good WR3 option is a SOD candidate.... When inconsistency is mentioned here, it's all relative to what we expect - As a SOD and potential difference maker, He's inconsistent - As a WR3 he's pretty good - probably rotated though and a lot of owners will probably miss the good times like last night.

EDIT: BnB after rereading the 1st post here - Chris is specific (which is GREAT) _ So many people throw names around without being specific and talking in REAL rankings....

Chris is calling Moss a top 20 WR......

Well, he's got a good start - I just find it hard to believe he got a start on a lot of rosters last night - Of course they'll ALL show up in this thread.

I'm in 5 leagues - I'll check but, I don't think he got 1 start in my leagues. - Actually, I just checked and 1 team started him - The perenial loser team that is DESPERATE already - Another Walker owner lookin for a nut.

Users who are viewing this thread