What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Stefon Diggs, BUF (1 Viewer)

Everything I read says that Brown is the deep threat and Diggs is the guy for the intermediate routes. I'm not sure why Diggs is labeled as a burner/fly route guy in this forum... Maybe that's how MIN used him exclusively, but he's not  a blazer... In fact comps used in the past for him have been AB in terms of his skill set. I think a possession type WR can do quite well in Buffalo.
Because DIggs averaged 17.9 ypr last season with a 67% catch rate. Thats 12 yards per target. This is incredibly efficient for a player mostly being used on deep routes as he was last season.

That isn't all that DIggs is or can do, he caught 100 passes in 2018 with the Vikings and Kirk Cousins in a different offense that threw the ball more and used DIggs on crossing routes and hitch routes, which are the most common routes run by Diggs in his career. Diggs has always been able to take the top off the defense, but he was used more as a possession WR prior to last season with Kubiak, where they ran the ball more and used play action to make those deep shots a bit higher percentage plays than normal.

To your overall point Diggs is a complete WR who excels at everything. Last season being proof of his deep ball ability as well. It is just recency bias that causes people to describe DIggs this way.

To Grove Diesels point about Allen being better on intermediate routes, well thats DIggs bread and butter. I think DIggs can get Allen to 60% completion rate because of his skill and savy. He is echelons better than Cole Beasley.

QB Data Mine

@QBDataMine

Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs' new QB, is the worst deep passer in the NFL. He hit 15 of 59 attempts last season. 25.4%
Assuming that's tracking completion percentage and not on target percentage, how much of that is because a bunch of his deep targets went to Cole Beasley and Duke Williams? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming that's tracking completion percentage and not on target percentage, how much of that is because a bunch of his deep targets went to Cole Beasley and Duke Williams? 
Duke Williams didn’t see much time until the end of the season and actually looked very good. I’m guessing most of the deep targets went to John Brown. Beasley is seldom used on go routes - he’s an underneath guy.

jtd13 said:
Having watched virtually every Bills game last year, it’s mostly on Allen. He overthrew a ton of guys. His deep ball was way too flat. The ones he lofted and got more air under were much better. 

I know he said it was a priority for him to work on this offseason. If he can program himself to throw his deep balls more up than out, I think his success would climb quite a bit. 

I could be completely wrong, but IMO, deep balls aren’t as much about pinpoint accuracy as they are getting air under the ball and putting it in a general area that allows the receiver to adjust his stride/route a bit to go and make the catch. You can’t way under throw him and force the receiver to stop or come back, but giving a receiver the ability to slow his stride just a bit or track left or right a bit is fine. Throwing the ball on a line 40 yards down the field means you have to put it on a dime and hit a guy in stride which is incredibly difficult to do.

The Bills' official website reports Stefon Diggs worked out with Josh Allen earlier this offseason. 

It is just something to file away headed into training camp. Diggs and Allen will be a shotgun wedding of sorts after getting zero official offseason practices to start establishing their chemistry, but informal workouts are much better than nothing. Barring massive strides in the accuracy department, Allen could make life difficult for Diggs down the field. 

RELATED: 

Josh Allen

SOURCE: buffalobills.com 

Jul 4, 2020, 11:02 AM ET

Counterpoint: John Brown had his best year ever by a good margin in deep ball catch percentage last year with Allen as his QB.

Yes, Allen struggles a good bit last year on the deep ball, but outside of Brown, can anyone name guys who were legit deep ball threats (or have shown ability to track deep balls well?) that were on the Bills last year?

I don't understand everyone fading Diggs now with the Bills. I get the Allen stuff and I am probably lower on him than most, but he's going to be the CLEAR #1 in the passing game (which is a rarer commodity these days), he has proven ability to have huge fantasy weeks and will likely have a few of those if he's being fed targets.

There also seems to be this narrative that he won't get the volume he needs because of the presence of John Brown and, um.....Cole Beasley!? That's about as little competition for targets as you can have in an NFL WR room. I actually think that the numbers for Brown and Beasley are a positive indicator for Diggs - I mean, if those two can get targets and yards to that level, then why can't Diggs do more? He's not capped by what Brown did as a de facto #1 WR last year - Brown got those targets I think because they didn't have any alphas. It's perfectly reasonable to think that Diggs will significantly eat into those targets (and Beasley's too). 

My only concern is that there will be some cold weather football in there and the Bills look like a run first team with a really good defense, so you're not going to have a lot of shootouts. But in my mind that is offset to some extent by the target volume he will get. 

Never liked him the last couple years but his price has gotten low enough that I think he is a value buy right now

He is going to get FED

If Kyle Allen can support DJ Moore and Trubisky can support Allen Robinson, then I have no doubt Diggs will be fine

Besides would it be fair to say his floor is WR20 (what John Brown was last season)? With a ceiling higher than that based on the possibility of Allen improving and Diggs (I think) being more talented and a more complete WR than John Brown (also good just not as good IMO)?

Never liked him the last couple years but his price has gotten low enough that I think he is a value buy right now

He is going to get FED

If Kyle Allen can support DJ Moore and Trubisky can support Allen Robinson, then I have no doubt Diggs will be fine

Besides would it be fair to say his floor is WR20 (what John Brown was last season)? With a ceiling higher than that based on the possibility of Allen improving and Diggs (I think) being more talented and a more complete WR than John Brown (also good just not as good IMO)?
I don't like him this year.  I think he's being overvalued based on his name. 

He is going to get FED

I’m sure ‘he’ll be fine’ but not sure that’s what people are trying to figure out.

John Brown gets no love. Go watch last season highlights. Turned in a remarkably consistent season for a speed guy. He runs great routes and is virtually uncoverable 1v1. Love him feasting on CB2’s 

Bills restructured Stefon Diggs' contract.

Buffalo will give Diggs $3.3 million more in 2020 while reducing some of his salary in the later years of his contract. It's an insignificant move for Diggs' short- and long-term outlook with Bills. For fantasy purposes, Diggs needs to get better deep-ball accuracy out of Josh Allen to reach his ceiling. They've been working together this offseason -- that, of course, includes playing video games together -- and expect to have chemistry in 2020 despite limited in-person practices. Diggs will likely be a fantasy WR3 who has a handful of boom and bust weeks. Stacking Allen with Diggs has been a common strategy in bestball formats this summer.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Aug 5, 2020, 3:50 PM ET

Completely agree. He's being drafted at his absolute floor right now. John Brown put up  72-1060-6 last year, and Diggs is a lot better than Brown.
Diggs net 1,130-6 last year and 1,021-9 (with 149 targets) the year before. Those were his two best years in the league. Subjectively, I agree that Diggs is a better talent than Brown. But I'm finding it difficult to elevate him above where he's currently ranked. Allen's different than Cousins, but is he better? And WR's moving to a new team always leaves me tugging at my colar, but especially this year.

I need convinced.

Diggs net 1,130-6 last year and 1,021-9 (with 149 targets) the year before. Those were his two best years in the league. Subjectively, I agree that Diggs is a better talent than Brown. But I'm finding it difficult to elevate him above where he's currently ranked. Allen's different than Cousins, but is he better? And WR's moving to a new team always leaves me tugging at my colar, but especially this year.

I need convinced.
Brown there really deters me. Brown does what he does well, though Diggs, per Reception Perception and PFF, is one of the best and most efficient route runners there is.

So what to do? Finer minds than mine can't figure it out...

Brown there really deters me. Brown does what he does well, though Diggs, per Reception Perception and PFF, is one of the best and most efficient route runners there is.

So what to do? Finer minds than mine can't figure it out...
I think Brown gets fazed out a bit. I'm fully expecting him to be the #3 WR in catches. Beasley does his role, and Diggs and Brown overlap a bit. Diggs does it all so much better though. 

Brown feels like a candidate to be a decoy, who hits the occasional big play. But I'd take the under on 50 catches for Brown.

I think Diggs pretty much keeps on trucking at the level he was in Minnesota. But he's being drafted multiple rounds lower now. That makes him underrated to me.

I think Brown gets fazed out a bit. I'm fully expecting him to be the #3 WR in catches. Beasley does his role, and Diggs and Brown overlap a bit. Diggs does it all so much better though. 

Brown feels like a candidate to be a decoy, who hits the occasional big play. But I'd take the under on 50 catches for Brown.

I think Diggs pretty much keeps on trucking at the level he was in Minnesota. But he's being drafted multiple rounds lower now. That makes him underrated to me.
The bolded is not connecting with me.

He's being drafted around DK Metcalf, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, DeVante Parker, DJ Chark, Terry McLaurin, and TY Hilton. On a per game basis he finished behind all of those players that were not rookies - and Hilton (who was mostly injured). His 2018 rates were within half a point of Hilton and about a point ahead of Allen and Woods. The last two seasons were clearly Diggs' best.

If you're expecting the same from Diggs then are you expecting worse from all of those vets? and no development from the rookies? 

The bolded is not connecting with me.

He's being drafted around DK Metcalf, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, DeVante Parker, DJ Chark, Terry McLaurin, and TY Hilton. On a per game basis he finished behind all of those players that were not rookies - and Hilton (who was mostly injured). His 2018 rates were within half a point of Hilton and about a point ahead of Allen and Woods. The last two seasons were clearly Diggs' best.

If you're expecting the same from Diggs then are you expecting worse from all of those vets? and no development from the rookies? 
I'm expecting less from Allen, Parker, and Chark. Chark happened down the stretch already, Allen had a huge QB downgrade, and Parker just feels fluky to me. 

I'd take Metcalf over Diggs for sure. I'd also take McLaurin over him. Woods and Hilton are toss ups to me. Probably yes to Woods and no to Hilton. 

In mocks I've done, Diggs has been going after all those guys, by about a round. He's been going more akin to guys like Jarvis Landry, and Hollywood Brown. 

Stefon Diggs caught 8-of-9 targets for 86 yards in the Bills' Week 1 win over the Jets. 

It was a pre-2019 statline from Diggs, who uncorked only two gains longer than 11 yards. Playing with a big lead from early in the first quarter, the Bills never had to open it up deep, though Josh Allen did attempt a career-high 46 passes. With so little practice time together, it could take Diggs and Allen several more weeks to get their deep timing down. That's especially true since "deep timing" has never exactly been Allen's thing despite his prodigious arm strength. Diggs will remain an upside-but-volatile WR3 for Week 2 against the Dolphins. 

- Rotoworld

He's got a solid chance of being awesome next week before Ramsey shuts him down in week 3. But this usage projects for a solid year. 

He's got a solid chance of being awesome next week before Ramsey shuts him down in week 3. But this usage projects for a solid year. 
Will Ramsey shadow Diggs this week?   I believe he allowed ZERO receptions this past week (even though there was only 2 passes thrown his way)

TedyBruschi said:
Will Ramsey shadow Diggs this week?   I believe he allowed ZERO receptions this past week (even though there was only 2 passes thrown his way)
Those are the Eagles WRs though...

Would anyone dare sit Diggs this week if you had options such as Parker, Gesicki, H. Henry, etc?   We have a WR/TE slot. 

Just worried he'll go 3 for 50 or something. 
Diggs might be the best WR in the league.

Ramsey is a great corner but I don't think you bench Diggs this year.

If he only gets 3 or 50 its not that different than your chances with the other players putting up similar stats.

Diggs has Josh Allen completing 70% of his throws now. I am flabbergasted. Diggs is very good.

Diggs might be the best WR in the league.

Ramsey is a great corner but I don't think you bench Diggs this year.

If he only gets 3 or 50 its not that different than your chances with the other players putting up similar stats.

Diggs has Josh Allen completing 70% of his throws now. I am flabbergasted. Diggs is very good.
I have Diggs in a bunch of places because I’ve not been able to quit him for ~3 years now, but I still keep wondering if this is a sell high opportunity. He’s great, but I really don’t believe in Allen just yet and the matchups have been pretty favourable.  

We’ll see, and maybe I’m just being overly negative but I can’t shake the feeling the floor is going to drop out at some point (similar to how I feel about Cooper in the one league I have him).  I realize this is not insightful or based on anything tangible.

Stefon Diggs caught 4-of-6 targets for 49 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Week 3 win over the Rams. 

Diggs had his hands full with Jalen Ramsey, but he managed to score his first Bills touchdown on the Rams' No. 1 corner, beating him badly 1-on-1 in the end zone. Diggs appeared to score earlier on a one-yard receiver screen, but he was ruled down at the one. He then had another score one play later called back by penalty. Diggs has flashed jut about every possible look through his first three games as a Bill, quickly establishing himself as a WR2 with WR1 upside in his new home. Diggs will be a top-18 option for Week 4 against the Raiders. 

Sep 27, 2020, 5:03 PM ET

Stefon Diggs caught 6-of-7 targets for 115 yards in the Bills' Week 4 win over the Raiders.

Diggs returned another solid fantasy line in an awesome matchup. He was lights out as a route runner and finished off plays at the catch point. One of those coming on a 49-yard bomb. Diggs is on pace for 1,612 yards and 8 touchdowns as a low-end WR1 in fantasy circles. He continues to operate as the clear-cut top target for Josh Allen, who has been a rare improver of accuracy. The schedule toughens up for Diggs over the next two months. Hopefully the Titans' coronavirus problem mellows out in the coming days. There's a chance the Bills' Week 5 game is postponed if positive cases continue to pop up. Make sure to have a backup option just in case.

- Rotoworld

Stefon Diggs caught 10-of-16 targets for 106 yards in the Bills' Week 5 loss to the Titans.

Diggs was operating as the clear-cut alpha receiver in Buffalo leading up to this game, but with John Brown (calf) out and Cole Beasley in-and-out of the lineup with leg soreness, Diggs was relied upon even more. His 16 targets were a season high by three. Buffalo continues to be among the most pass-heavy teams in the NFL under OC Brian Daboll, and it's been enough to vault Diggs into weekly top-12 fantasy rankings. Few receivers in the NFL can snap corners ankles at the top of routes like Diggs can. The Bills could find themselves in a Week 6 shootout versus Kansas City next.

Oct 13, 2020, 10:03 PM ET

Wow. 16 targets..... just traded for him in 0.5 ppr. Sent Beckham and woods, May have overpaid a bit but Allen loves him and he is playing fantastic ball 

Wow. 16 targets..... just traded for him in 0.5 ppr. Sent Beckham and woods, May have overpaid a bit but Allen loves him and he is playing fantastic ball 
Have always been a Diggs fan but honestly thought he was going to struggle to pop in Buffalo. How incredibly wrong. 

Stefon Diggs caught 6-of-8 targets for 46 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Week 6 loss to the Chiefs.

Diggs salvaged a quiet night with a score in the first half. It was his third score of the season. He led the Bills in all receiving categories once again but Josh Allen only managed 122 yards through the air. That capped any possibility of a big game from Diggs. Buffalo's top receiver has hit 80 yards or scored in every game this season. He gets an easy matchup versus the Jets in Week 7. Diggs should have no problem capitalizing on his immense volume versus New York and is in line for another WR1 game next week.

Oct 19, 2020, 8:29 PM ET

Stefon Diggs caught 6-of-9 targets for 92 yards in the Bills' Week 8 win over the Patriots.

Diggs was targeted on half of Josh Allen's 18 attempts. The Bills' running backs averaged nearly six yards per carry and Buffalo didn't trail at any point. Even in a game that saw Allen throw for just 154 yards, Diggs posted another solid game. Diggs' share of the passing game is so large that even quiet days for Allen can be productive ones for him. He remains a high-floor WR1 in a game that projects to be a shootout versus Seattle next week.

- Rotoworld

Stefon Diggs caught 10-of-11 targets for 93 yards and one touchdown in Buffalo's Week 10 loss to Arizona.

After being contained for just three catches and 29 yards at the intermission, Diggs continued scrapping against Patrick Peterson in the second half, eventually beating the latter for a 21-yard touchdown to put the Bills up 30-26 with three minutes remaining. It was Diggs' second consecutive start with double-digit targets as he's now averaging 10.2 per game and on-pace for a career-high 163 in just his first year with Josh Allen. Expect Diggs' streak of 10-plus opportunities to continue following Buffalo's Week 11 bye if John Brown (ankle) misses any amount of time.

Nov 15, 2020, 10:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread