What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyquan Thornton, NE (1 Viewer)

Thornton's snap counts are right up there with Meyers and Parker. Might be a guy who is flying under the radar a bit. Playing in a non-friendly passing game though with several receiving options is obviously a deterrent.

Thornton's snap counts are right up there with Meyers and Parker. Might be a guy who is flying under the radar a bit. Playing in a non-friendly passing game though with several receiving options is obviously a deterrent.

It’s important that he’s dominating Agholor & Bourne. He’s playing outside and has a pretty diverse route tree. Def a lot to be optimistic about, but the upside is probably capped for the reasons you stated.

I think he is flying under the radar. Jones could have hit him for a big play on Monday night too, that was missed.
I also dont think Pats will have all these receivers next week, someone will get traded.

Tyquan Thornton caught 1-of-4 targets for five yards in the Patriots' Week 9 win over the Colts.

Thornton was an afterthought in a game where the Patriots were struggling on offense. New England didn't have to force the issue, with the Colts' offense playing even worse. As result, they were content to lean on their running game and short passes. Thornton heads into his bye week in Week 10, and fantasy managers may be able to find better use of his roster spot.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Nathan Jahnke PFF: Breakdown of Patriots/Colts
Slow the Tyquan Thornton hype: There was a chance the second-round rookie would become the clear No. 2 receiver on the Patriots’ depth chart, but that doesn’t seem like it will happen this season.

• DeVante Parker was inactive with a knee injury.
  • There were trade rumors involving Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor, but both remained on the roster.
  • Bourne and Thornton had similar snap and route counts in recent weeks when both were healthy, but Bourne was clearly ahead of Thornton on the depth chart this week.
  • It appears Thornton will fall back down to fourth on the depth chart once Parker is healthy.
  • It was also discouraging that the Patriots got Lynn Bowden Jr. involved for the first time all season, rather than sticking with their top four wide receivers. This slightly hurts the value of all of their receivers.

Tyquan Thornton caught 3-of-7 targets for 60 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 17 win against the Dolphins.​

Thornton ran a route on 97 percent of Mac Jones' drop backs and was second on the team in targets, trailing only Jakobi Meyers. Thornton had a touchdown called back because he stepped on the backline on a tiptoe attempt in the first half. He regularly separated from Miami defenders and has taken over as an every-down wideout alongside Meyers. The speedy Thornton will have some boom-bust fantasy value in Week 18 against Buffalo.
Jan 1, 2023, 6:27 PM ET

5 under-the-radar Patriots players that could break out in 2023

Tyquan Thornton​

One big reason for that is they spent a second-round draft pick on Tyquan Thornton in 2022. As a rookie, the former Baylor standout landed smack-dab in a Patriots offense without a real identity under Matt Patricia...
...if there was ever an opportunity for him to break out, it would be this year with Bill O’Brien overseeing what could be a much-improved Patriots offense.

I will echo what others have said about Thornton. He looks great so far . . . in shorts and t-shirts. Last year, he didn't look as good (or perform as well) in full pads and with full contact. He suffered an undisclosed injury that caused him to miss time at Baylor, and last year he suffered a broken clavicle that put him on IR to start the season. He looks fast in no contact situations when no one can touch him . . . but from what I remember last season, he easily got redirected on routes and struggled to get open. I have heard all offseason the Pats have high hopes for him this year, but the beat guys are suggesting we probably need to pump the brakes until they start playing actual football in practice.

I will echo what others have said about Thornton. He looks great so far . . . in shorts and t-shirts. Last year, he didn't look as good (or perform as well) in full pads and with full contact. He suffered an undisclosed injury that caused him to miss time at Baylor, and last year he suffered a broken clavicle that put him on IR to start the season. He looks fast in no contact situations when no one can touch him . . . but from what I remember last season, he easily got redirected on routes and struggled to get open. I have heard all offseason the Pats have high hopes for him this year, but the beat guys are suggesting we probably need to pump the brakes until they start playing actual football in practice.

Besides this will add they are lining him up all over including the slot...my guess is they are hoping he can become a legit playmaker (which they desperately need) so they are figuring out different ways to get the ball in his hands...if he can develop into a playmaker that would be a huge boost for this offense.

ESPN’s Mike Reiss reports Patriots WR Tyquan Thornton spent the spring “managing a soft-tissue injury.”

Thornton will be reporting early to Patriots camp, though Reiss believes he could open up on the active/PUP list. That is often just a formality, with players being activated once they pass their conditioning test. 2022 second-rounder Thornton flashed some intriguing size/speed traits as a first-year pro but ultimately commanded only 45 targets in 13 games. The Pats’ receiver corps isn’t good, but it is deep. Thornton is a WR5 flier who could end up being amongst your first cuts in September.

Been hearing some very negative reports about Thornton…could be another WR drafted by the Pats that disappoints.

I’m a Pats fan in desperate need of WR help in my dynasty league… and I’m not touching him (we don’t have taxi squads otherwise I’d reconsider). Wasn’t a fan of the Thornton pick with Pickens still on the board. I’ve heard it all: different skill sets, attitude concerns, etc. Pickens may be a headcase but he’s a vastly better, more talented WR than Thornton. Thornton is a wiry framed track star with small hands and wrists for a WR and plays on a team that lacks a QB who elevates the talent around him. I can’t see him as being more than a situational deep threat and that’s if he can even stay on the field.

I appreciate the Patriots helping me eliminate receivers from my draft board after they select them

I get what you're saying, but it's not totally on point. This is a little bit of a faulty premise in this player's case. He was on nobody's dynasty rookie draft board until the Patriots reached and took him in the second. Even then, he still went late. I think people expected a flame-out, and it looks to be (only looks to be because things can change in a heartbeat) like that is the case.

I appreciate the Patriots helping me eliminate receivers from my draft board after they select them

I get what you're saying, but it's not totally on point. This is a little bit of a faulty premise in this player's case. He was on nobody's dynasty rookie draft board until the Patriots reached and took him in the second. Even then, he still went late. I think people expected a flame-out, and it looks to be (only looks to be because things can change in a heartbeat) like that is the case.
Not on point? Okay, so the story is not over for all of the receivers they have drafted. Below is their track record. It is my opinion that I am on point that they do not have success drafting this position. I will give you 2009, as they knocked it out of the park in the 7th round.

6187Kayshon BoutteWRLSU
6210Demario DouglasWRLiberty
250Tyquan ThorntonWRBaylor
7242Tre NixonWRUCF
132N'Keal HarryWRArizona State
6210Braxton BerriosWRMiami (FL)
4112Malcolm MitchellWRGeorgia
7244Jeremy GallonWRMichigan
259Aaron DobsonWRMarshall
4102Josh BoyceWRTCU
7235Jeremy EbertWRNorthwestern
390Taylor PriceWROhio
383Brandon TateWRNorth Carolina
7232Julian EdelmanWRKent State

Been hearing some very negative reports about Thornton…could be another WR drafted by the Pats that disappoints.
It’s remarkable how terrible they’ve been at drafting WRs. Obviously for many many years it wasn’t a real issue ultimately, but it’s just so hard to believe some successful team otherwise could get it so wrong so often.

Not on point?

You misunderstood my point. It's that nobody had Tyquan on their board anyway and that needle barely moved when the Patriots drafted him.

It's precisely because they're so bad at drafting receivers (your ultimate point and the one you're fixated on incorrectly) that the needle barely moved for this guy in rookie drafts.

No one can stake a claim that NE has done a good job developing their own receivers, but as far as drafting goes, they haven't invested as much as other teams have. Since someone brought up Edelman from 2009, here were all the spots WR were picked in the Top 50 since that draft. Others can decide which is worse . . . using top picks on WR multiple times, or using those picks on other positions. The point here is not who was selected with the picks, but where the picks were used.

TEN - 5, 18, 20, 30, 34, 40
PHI - 10, 19, 20, 21, 42
SFO - 10, 25, 30, 36, 44
NYG - 12, 20, 29, 40, 43
MIN - 22, 22, 23, 23, 29
CAR - 24, 28, 39, 40, 41
CIN - 4, 5, 9, 33
NYJ - 10, 34, 37, 43
DEN - 15, 22, 40, 46
CLE - 15, 36, 39, 50
BAL - 22, 25, 26, 27
LVR - 4, 7, 12
JAC - 5, 39, 42
ATL - 6, 8, 26
BUF - 8, 37, 41
NOS - 11, 20, 47
HOU - 21, 27, 44
MIA - 6, 14
LAC - 7, 21
TBB - 7, 39
CHI - 7, 45
LAR - 8, 33
DET - 12, 44
ARI - 13, 47
WAS - 16, 22
DAL - 17, 24
SEA - 20, 45
IND - 29, 34
NEP - 32, 50
GBP - 34, 50
KCC - 26
PIT - 49

More of the consistent winning teams are grouped at the bottom than the top . . . which coincides with the teams having long-term top QB as well. NEP, GBP, and PIT were the only teams that didn't draft a WR in the Top 30 picks. Clearly, PIT has knocked it out of the park in drafting a number of successful WR later in the draft. NE, not so much.

but as far as drafting goes, they haven't invested as much as other teams have.
No one said this. They just said they had bad results at it when they do.
Are you willing to counter that proposition, because what you're addressing wasn't at issue?
What I am countering is that many of the most productive receivers in the league over the last decade and a half have been Top 25 picks. NE has not drafted a WR in that area of the draft.

Some teams have spent way more draft capital on WR and have had plenty of busts, whether that be early picks or second day picks. Yet since those teams aren’t NE, a lot of people don’t care as much.

NE won without drafting well at WR, and they mostly figured out they did better trading for or signing free agents instead. BB drafted one guy in the first round in his tenure in NE. He took two little known players in Welker and Edelman and turned them into legit WR. They contributed 14,000+ receiving yards in NE.

Their WR picks haven’t worked out, but other teams have used 4-5 first round picks and haven’t hit on those receivers either. I am not remotely suggesting that the WR they picked were good, only that they didn’t pick many early receivers and ended up with some decent options in other ways.

All that being said, whatever they did in the past with Brady there likely isn’t going to work without him there. At least it hasn’t so far.

It’s remarkable how terrible they’ve been at drafting WRs. Obviously for many many years it wasn’t a real issue ultimately, but it’s just so hard to believe some successful team otherwise could get it so wrong so often.
It actually fascinates me…regardless of where they have drafted them it is amazing how many have been complete busts…BB has had great success with UDFA’s at other positions but he just can not figure out this position using draft picks…it is just so odd…looking at this current roster they would be in a completely different spot if Harry and Thornton had hit or were at least solid…as far as drafting WRs they should pull a Costanza and just do the opposite of what they want to do.

It actually fascinates me…regardless of where they have drafted them it is amazing how many have been complete busts…BB has had great success with UDFA’s at other positions but he just can not figure out this position using draft picks…it is just so odd…looking at this current roster they would be in a completely different spot if Harry and Thornton had hit or were at least solid…as far as drafting WRs they should pull a Costanza and just do the opposite of what they want to do.
My theory is the Terry Glenn fiasco in the 2001 offseason soured BB on “diva” WRs so he went out of his way to draft WRs that he felt would be more “coachable”. Though it doesn’t explain passing on a guy like A.J. Brown, who had a good visit with the Pats and actually thought they were taking him only to go with N’Keal Harry instead. It’s astounding how much of a blind spot WR is for him. He’s drafted some WRs who contributed to Super Bowl victories (Deion Branch, David Givens, Julian Edelman, Malcolm Mitchell) but Edelman is the only one to ever eclipse 1K yards in a season. Suffice it to say, I’m not confident in Tyquan Thornton’s chances of bucking that trend.

My theory is the Terry Glenn fiasco in the 2001 offseason soured BB on “diva” WRs so he went out of his way to draft WRs that he felt would be more “coachable”. Though it doesn’t explain passing on a guy like A.J. Brown, who had a good visit with the Pats and actually thought they were taking him only to go with N’Keal Harry instead. It’s astounding how much of a blind spot WR is for him. He’s drafted some WRs who contributed to Super Bowl victories (Deion Branch, David Givens, Julian Edelman, Malcolm Mitchell) but Edelman is the only one to ever eclipse 1K yards in a season. Suffice it to say, I’m not confident in Tyquan Thornton’s chances of bucking that trend.

While not big stat guys both Branch and Givens were excellent picks very early in his tenure…after that it has been disappointments like Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson (although he did have a few big moments), Aaron Dobson and the worst pick of all time in Harry…you do have to give him a lot of credit for getting Welker because that was far from a no-brainer but obviously that was not a draft pick…Mitchell looked like he was going to be a good one but injuries submarined his career.

I haven’t heard people knocking Thornton’s abilities. It’s been his inability to stay on the field with constant injuries. He was said to have worked hard in the off-season and looked good in the early part of OTA’s. But since then he’s been banged up. You can’t learn or be productive if you don’t play. Have other’s heard negative feedback on his actual play on the field?

I haven’t heard people knocking Thornton’s abilities. It’s been his inability to stay on the field with constant injuries. He was said to have worked hard in the off-season and looked good in the early part of OTA’s. But since then he’s been banged up. You can’t learn or be productive if you don’t play. Have other’s heard negative feedback on his actual play on the field?

Yes…on the road a decent amount so a lot is radio but hearing he has been pretty much invisible when he has been out there…just not showing much.

Patriots beat writer Alex Barth said Tyquan Thornton “maybe be falling off in the team’s eyes” after a slow start to training camp.
As Barth notes in his article, Thornton “struggled early in camp” and then missed two of the team’s three padded practices last week. Thornton worked primarily with Bailey Zappe and Trace McSorley in recent quarterback and pass-catcher pairings but has seen some run with the first-team offense alongside rookie sixth-rounder Demario Douglas. The Patriots selected Thornton with the No. 50 overall pick in last year’s draft, but he managed just 22 receptions for 247 yards and two touchdowns in 13 games. Thornton blazed a 4.28 40-yard dash at last year’s combine and should still see plenty of opportunities to earn playing time this season. With that being said, the slow start to camp is a concern for the speedster.

Thornton made a diving catch in Patriots / Packers joint practices today and immediately called for medical attention and left the field for treatment. That's all that has been reported so far. Not even sure what part of the body was affected.

Users who are viewing this thread