What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD - Neighbor keeps dog in garage.... (1 Viewer)

WWYD?

• Ring bell, discuss with homeowner directly?

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Contact Animal Control?

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Leave note?

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Mind your business?

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Other (may include Smooing)?

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Combination of above?

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters

Chemical X

Footballguy
So, there is a house in my neighborhood that I regularly pass on dog and human walks, where they apparently are keeping their dog in the garage for periods.  Not sure how long the frequency is, but you can tell the dog is in there, the garage door is cracked slightly.  You can here him bark when you walk by and, even sadder, you can sometimes see his snout or paw sticking out of the door crack.  Garage appears unairconditioned.  Summers down here have been hot and humid and my temperature regularly reads 95+ in the garage.  I don't know if this is when no one is home or when people are at home, but almost everytime I walk by the house, night or day, I can hear the dog in the garage.

I know their are dog lovers here, so John Quinones, WWYD?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if the garage has a door to the rest of the house?  Just playing Devil's Advocate here.  Maybe they keep the dog's food in the garage for some reason.

Even with this as an unknown I would do something.  Not sure what.  :(

Confrontation would be weird and awkward and you'd possibly get a "mind your own business" response.  A note is appropriate.  Tell them you noticed it when walking by and that you aren't sure if they are aware of what's happening.   

Be sure to sign it as one your other neighbors so they don't know it's you.  

Not everyone treats Dogs like housepets.  If they have shelter, food, water, and access to do their business I don't think you can ask for much more. Temp in the garage might be a concern but its really an unknown.

Also, please add this to the 20-30 years ago thread.  Seems like a lot more people back then kept dogs outside or on a run (run, not tethered to a tree although that happened a lot too).  These days if Fido doesn't share the luxuries of the air-conditioned house its animal cruelty.

And yes, my dog lives in the house.

This seems weird, but do you know for sure the dog can't get into the backyard as well?  Or maybe the dog has a doggy door from the garage to the house and just goes to the garage to bark at @Chemical X and pooch?

This is why it's a mind your business thing.

This isnt a dog locked in a car situation. 

No idea if the dog has access to the house and chooses to run into the garage when someone walks by. No idea if the garage is acceptable temperature. Lots of unknowns to butt in over
let's make the obvious assumption, an assumption none the less......the dog is in the garage while owners are gone, without access to house. wouldn't the garage be no different than a hot car with a cracked window where you would call the authorities?

This seems weird, but do you know for sure the dog can't get into the backyard as well?  Or maybe the dog has a doggy door from the garage to the house and just goes to the garage to bark at @Chemical X and pooch?
this house does not have a fenced yard, no idea of rear access to a gated deck though.....not many people have doggie doors leading to their garages.

From the internet:

During the depths of summer, the temperature inside the garage can be 20 degrees higher than the temperature outside (or even more), meaning that on a 100-degree summer day, it could be 120 degrees inside your garage.Sep 23, 2016

let's make the obvious assumption, an assumption none the less......the dog is in the garage while owners are gone, without access to house. wouldn't the garage be no different than a hot car with a cracked window where you would call the authorities?
No. A garage won't heat up to the temperature of a small car in the sun.

Not everyone treats Dogs like housepets.  If they have shelter, food, water, and access to do their business I don't think you can ask for much more. Temp in the garage might be a concern but its really an unknown.

Also, please add this to the 20-30 years ago thread.  Seems like a lot more people back then kept dogs outside or on a run (run, not tethered to a tree although that happened a lot too).  These days if Fido doesn't share the luxuries of the air-conditioned house its animal cruelty.

And yes, my dog lives in the house.
For me, this.  My grandparents were on a farm and their farm dog "The Duke" lived in the machine shop, a stand-alone out building without AC.  It was never even allowed in the house.  I never once thought of this dog was mistreated.  It had a great life getting to run around the farm with them all day, but spent nights and evenings in the shop.  I had some great memories with that dog when I'd visit.  Now if there were other signs of abuse, yeah, maybe do something, but I don't think this alone raises to my level of animal cruelty.

For me, this.  My grandparents were on a farm and their farm dog "The Duke" lived in the machine shop, a stand-alone out building without AC.  It was never even allowed in the house.  I never once thought of this dog was mistreated.  It had a great life getting to run around the farm with them all day, but spent nights and evenings in the shop.  I had some great memories with that dog when I'd visit.  Now if there were other signs of abuse, yeah, maybe do something, but I don't think this alone raises to my level of animal cruelty.
In Florida?

Maybe they keep him in there when they aren't home. Maybe they have a fan in there for him. Unless you know he is being abused what can you really do.

Maybe they keep him in there when they aren't home. Maybe they have a fan in there for him. Unless you know he is being abused what can you really do.
hence, the post here.  the garage may be upwards of 100 degrees, though sheltered.  does the fan make a difference? 

I'd make a anonymous call or email, saying that you aren't sure if there's house access but you assume the garage is hot and the dog barks when people walk by.

From the internet:

During the depths of summer, the temperature inside the garage can be 20 degrees higher than the temperature outside (or even more), meaning that on a 100-degree summer day, it could be 120 degrees inside your garage.Sep 23, 2016
My garage is always cooler than outside on a hot summer day.

Concrete tends to hold the coolness I guess.

What's the difference if said dog was inside the house with the a/c turned off? Would you still call animal control?

Sounds like your mind is made up to do something and that you're using the FFA to come up with a proper solution. (Which is fine.) But the hard answer is that there isn't a good solution. I'm not sure what I'd do. Best of luck.  

eta* See below for best answer I've read yet.  

hence, the post here.  the garage may be upwards of 100 degrees, though sheltered.  does the fan make a difference? 
Dogs sweat through their paws.  A fan makes no difference.

I wouldn't treat an animal that way, but I'm not sure that this meets the standard for cruelty.  But why ask us?  Call the SPCA or other local shelter and ask.

what I think shukes me about this is, you have a 2500 sq ft air conditioned home, so why get a dog if the goal is to keep that dog in a garage?  i know financial circumstances are different for all and people treat dogs differently (heck, in Italy, dogs are not considered family members like here for the most part), but my local vet has a great doggy day care with yard and water misters for 20- a day, while a teen in my neighborhood charges 5- to dog sit in your home.  i don't know, i think if you axe 10 people here you'll get 10 different answers on everything.

You need to break into the garage so you can get a better evaluation on how to handle the situation. 

While on a dog walk, stop and ring their bell sometime you can hear their dog and they seem to be home.   Mention you heard their dog and that you're working on socializing your dogs with other animals and walk by their way a lot. Ask if they'd be interested in taking their dog to join you on the walk, visit a dog park, whatever is appropriate for your area.  If you have another neighbor who could join you on the walk with their dog when you plan to stop, even better.

If they agree, you can hopefully subtly suss out the situation with their dog and the garage as you guys chat about the pooches.

lol, weird. I am the only one that would ring the door and talk to the neighbor? thought that would be the most common thing.

Sounds like your mind is made up to do something and that you're using the FFA to come up with a proper solution. (Which is fine.) But the hard answer is that there isn't a good solution. I'm not sure what I'd do. Best of luck.  

eta* See below for best answer I've read yet.  
strange, seems best answer is to go to the door and ask. if dude is a ##### at the door or whatever, very easy solution. Maybe it is an old couple and they are not sure what to do so you can help problem solve.

Certainly would have to do something if I walked past the house and it seemed to happen most of the time.

I'd call animal control and let them look into it.  If it's NOT animal cruelty and the dog has access to the house or yard or whatever, great.  But if he doesn't, you'd be helping an animal in distress.  Mistreatment of animals is a real issue for me.  They don't have anyone to speak up for them when they are mistreated or abused etc.  You're not inquiring to be a jerk or to get the people in trouble, you're advocating for an animal in potential danger.  Call and let the authorities look into it.  If left in a steaming hot garage for hours at a time, that's cruel.  Just my two cents

I have a fully insulated attached garage. No shade trees and southern exposure it's easily 20 degrees plus warmer in there on sunny days.  No way I'd keep an animal in a shut garage all that's not a whole lot different than in a car.  Yes a car gets hotter but we're talking all day in a 100 degree plus structure with no airflow.  I think a call to animal control would be worth it.  I'm guessing they'd just do a welfare check and maybe it's a situation where they have a doggy door so the dog's only out there when he wants to be.  I'm guessing since he keeps the door open just a crack he thinks he's providing enough ventilation for the dog.

lol, weird. I am the only one that would ring the door and talk to the neighbor? thought that would be the most common thing.
I can't debate it too hotly, but there's a real unwritten or unspoken -- what's the word? -- agreement that we use our property and let our neighbors use theirs as both we and they see fit. Inviting yourself onto their property to tacitly accuse them of mistreating an animal should be done with much caution. Part of it is our heritage, the other part of it is that nobody likes a nosy neighbor.

Also, you can wind up with somebody who wants to kick your ### and proceeds to subsequently do so. 

rockaction said:
I can't debate it too hotly, but there's a real unwritten or unspoken -- what's the word? -- agreement that we use our property and let our neighbors use theirs as both we and they see fit. Inviting yourself onto their property to tacitly accuse them of mistreating an animal should be done with much caution. Part of it is our heritage, the other part of it is that nobody likes a nosy neighbor.

Also, you can wind up with somebody who wants to kick your ### and proceeds to subsequently do so. 
yeah, I guess this is probably location specific and may change based on location. I live in pretty busy city where people speak their mind pretty freely, so it seems like the norm for our location. and lol, now that I think maybe I think this way and the rest of people on my block think I am nosy neighbor.

Granted may end up in a fight, but if the concerns the guy is that much of a d-bag it should be twice the reason to do something.

Is there a light on inside the garage at night? If there isn't that means there isn't one on inside in the day either, and the dog is constantly in the dark.

If there are red flags concerning this dogs well being, call animal control and have them do a welfare check on the dog.  Animal control doesn't tell the owners who called, and they generally don't even ask who you are on the phone. 

Had a buddy, now deceased.  He had a Husky in Colorado Springs.  It had a dog house with a door flap against the wind and a light bulb under the floor as a heat source.  the floor was elevated and drained so moist bedding would dry.  His neighbors called Animal Control who gave him a ticket for cruelty.  Yo, dip####s, particularly animal control who ought to be educated.  Huskies would be quite comfortable on any Colorado Springs winter night with no shelter or heat source.  They are bred for that. With the accommodation, even more so.  He got off but he paid an emotional and financial price with his hiring an attorney..

As for your case, the animal has space, ventilation, and shade.  Leave it be.  That it is active and alert indicates it is all right.  If it constantly cries for help or whimpers when you are not there, but from a great distance it may be in distress, but under these circumstances, no.

I mean this in the least cruel way possible, but if they were in the garage that much, they'd be dead by now due to heat stroke, without a doubt.

So it's possible there's a doggy door leading into the house?

Either way, I'd call animal control immediately, but I'm a huge animal guy, so take it for what it's worth.  At least if they investigate and find out all is good, then you've done all you can to prevent these guys from further suffering.

Hopefully it goes well.  Good luck Chem.

If there are red flags concerning this dogs well being, call animal control and have them do a welfare check on the dog.  Animal control doesn't tell the owners who called, and they generally don't even ask who you are on the phone. 
Exactly this.

Had a buddy, now deceased.  He had a Husky in Colorado Springs.  It had a dog house with a door flap against the wind and a light bulb under the floor as a heat source.  the floor was elevated and drained so moist bedding would dry.  His neighbors called Animal Control who gave him a ticket for cruelty.  Yo, dip####s, particularly animal control who ought to be educated.  Huskies would be quite comfortable on any Colorado Springs winter night with no shelter or heat source.  They are bred for that. With the accommodation, even more so.  He got off but he paid an emotional and financial price with his hiring an attorney..

As for your case, the animal has space, ventilation, and shade.  Leave it be.  That it is active and alert indicates it is all right.  If it constantly cries for help or whimpers when you are not there, but from a great distance it may be in distress, but under these circumstances, no.
I don't intend to sound confrontational or judgmental, but I disagree with your assessment.  Because the dog MAY have space, some ventilation and shade, isn't passed out on the floor means it is alright?  I find this to be a bit cavalier.  It's a living creature we are talking about.  You may be right, and then again, you may be wrong.  Even with all the lovely amenities you point out, you know it's gotta be hot as heck in that garage in summer.  If the dog is in there for hours at a time with just a crack of the garage door, there is a chance the dog is suffering.  Going to animal control so they can look into it is such a simple and seamless thing to do.  They come, they check it out and if all is well, great.  But if it's not, the dog gets taken care of.  That's what's important here.  I don't know, I'm usually not one to bud in with neighbors or other's people in general.  But we're talking about a helpless, defenseless animal here.  If there's a reasonable concern he may be being mistreated, make the call.  There's no downside. 

The fact that you have a big enough heart to even debate making the call means you gotta make the call.  Have em check it out and clear your conscious. 

Chemical X said:
this house does not have a fenced yard, no idea of rear access to a gated deck though.....not many people have doggie doors leading to their garages.
I do because unlike my bloodhound my Shi Tzus are sooners.

Sooner crap and pee inside than out.

Users who are viewing this thread