What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD: Pool Table/Foosball/Air Hockey ***POLE*** (1 Viewer)

Pool/Foosball/Air Hockey?

• Pool Table

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • Foosball

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Air Hockey

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Zegras11

Footballguy
So three months ago, we bought an existing VRBO/ABB that has a pool table in it.

People keep leaning on it and placing things on it and the table is always slanted because of this. We already have 15  - 5 star reviews and one four star. Privately half of them have mentioned the pool table issue. It was bought on the cheap by the prior owner.

Wife and I are debating if we should get another pool table or replace it with either a Foosball Table or Air Hockey.

Price is a factor here.  WWYD?

Our guests are almost always families coming into town for weddings, graduations, birthdays,  etc...  Assume two men, two women and 2-3 kids.

Pool table for sure. The others can be fun but you can't just knock back a cold brewski after a long day playing foosball or air hockey like you can with some friends at the pool table. Pool is chill and the other 2 are very hands on, high energy/attention games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not air hockey. Too niche. 

While i suck at foosball I see the appeal and it is cheaper.

Pool table is classic. A ##### to move though.

Going rouge here, Ping Pong by far the best choice.

Not air hockey. Too niche. 

While i suck at foosball I see the appeal and it is cheaper.

Pool table is classic. A ##### to move though.

Going rouge here, Ping Pong by far the best choice.
Ping pong balls would break and get lost and be a pain to manage.  Would probably not know of the issue until the next guest arrives. Cleaners already have too much to do to add this to their plate.

Ping pong balls would break and get lost and be a pain to manage.  Would probably not know of the issue until the next guest arrives. Cleaners already have too much to do to add this to their plate.
Whenever I rent these places we end up buying stuff like that for the place if they do happen to be out. If place is clean and as advertised I wouldn’t ding you on the score.

Pool table if Ping Pong is a no go.

Getzlaf15 said:
You can buy like 200 ping pong balls for $6 and just keep a stash somewhere.  Change them out for new guests and leave 2 balls out.  Same thing with paddles (not 200, but just buy some extras to start) and then see how it goes.  You can get a decent table for < $200.  This is going to be FAR less expensive than a pool table, still pretty fun, and much easier to move in (and out if needed).  Give that a shot first and see how it goes.  If it doesn't seem to work out, get rid of the table or keep it or whatever and then go the pool table route. 

If you're going to do a pool table, get a decent one and make sure it's clear for anyone renting the unit that it needs to be taken care of. 

ETA -- With kids coming often, that makes a pool table a difficult item because they just aren't meant to be used by kids and the table can suffer as a result.  And there's nothing worse than a ####ty pool table.

I'm personally a big foosball fan. Didn't learn to play until like early 20's (think it was around 23). Friend's parents owned a campground, worked for them one summer. They had a table in the common area and I learned to play, became (if I may say so myself) very good. Got to the point where I was very fast and skilled with my front men, and could consistently use speed and bank shots to score from my back men. Used to play at bars and hold the table all night.

We bought a table like 25 years ago and still have it. Haven't played hardly at all and skills have definitely eroded. Sometimes I think the game might be making a comeback but it never does. Used to be tables everywhere but now I'm lucky if I ever see one.

Having said all that pool is definitely the most accessible. Everyone has played pool, albeit with varying skill levels ( I was never very good).

i always wished I had the money to buy a bubble hockey game. Spent tons of time on those when I was in college. Got pretty good at that too. I always found air hockey pretty boring.

Why buy anything? Are you going to lose business if you just throw out the existing table?
The pool table at this house and the foosball table and air hockey at the other one have been nice additions.   This home sleeps 8, so it helps get bookings to have these items.  

As a kid I liked air hockey so I would vote air hockey.   A kid and a pool cue equals potential damage to felt or flying balls doing damage.
Damage by kids is why I don't want to spend a lot on whatever the replacement is.

How does a pool table get slanted by placing drinks on it or leaning on it? Must really be a cheap table made of cardboard or something.

I voted pool but ping pong was a good idea.
lol at drinks.   People lean on it all the time.  It's a cheap table and impossible to keep level.

Seems like, either shell out $$$ to get a quality pool table that can stand up to the abuse, otherwise I'd vote foosball.
The other place rents out just as well with a foos and air hockey.  I think they both do well because we are offering "something" to do/keep kids busy.  She thinks it's the pool table.

Getzlaf15 said:
So three months ago, we bought an existing VRBO/ABB that has a pool table in it.

People keep leaning on it and placing things on it and the table is always slanted because of this. We already have 15  - 5 star reviews and one four star. Privately half of them have mentioned the pool table issue. It was bought on the cheap by the prior owner.

Wife and I are debating if we should get another pool table or replace it with either a Foosball Table or Air Hockey.

Price is a factor here.  WWYD?

Our guests are almost always families coming into town for weddings, graduations, birthdays,  etc...  Assume two men, two women and 2-3 kids.
Then you aren't charging enough for rental!

Pool table with ping pong top FTW!  Also one of those multi-game arcade machines!!

Then you aren't charging enough for rental!

Pool table with ping pong top FTW!  Also one of those multi-game arcade machines!!
We have an app that compares us to every rental in the area and prices it accordingly and it gives us a 95 rating for being constantly booked at top dollar possible.  This home only has room for one game.  The other unit is larger and has a game room for the foos and air hockey.

Voted pool, but would actually choose pinball. I had one in a vacation rental and it was a huge hit
I like this idea, but the room doesn't lend it self to putting something against a wall.

Here's a pic.  The kitchen is to the left, so the entire living area is large and open. Ideal for gatherings.

Pic #2

More expensive, but for that space I think pool table is the way to go. I’d opt for a used table that is higher quality. 

I like this idea, but the room doesn't lend it self to putting something against a wall.

Here's a pic.  The kitchen is to the left, so the entire living area is large and open. Ideal for gatherings.

Pic #2

Anything other than a pool table wouldn’t look right in this space, IMO. I voted foosball but change my mind after seeing the pictures.

A good Foosball table

Pool table is too easy to damage.

Anything other than a pool table wouldn’t look right in this space, IMO. I voted foosball but change my mind after seeing the pictures.
Hmmm

Was about to list all the reasons why i wouldn't put a pool table but saw your reply....pool table fits in with a more classic look in this room.

Anything else is gonna feel like having a Ferrari with spare tires installed.

If you get a foosball or air hockey game, could you put it anywhere else? And what else could you do with the space the pool table is now? It’s hard to tell from those two pictures.

If you get a foosball or air hockey game, could you put it anywhere else? And what else could you do with the space the pool table is now? It’s hard to tell from those two pictures.
1. No. That's the only space for a game.

2. I guess we could put in another couch.  Two couches in a V shape in front of the fire place would work.

Can you even get a decent foosball or air hockey table for $300?
Not new.  A good new foosball table that isn't gonna break within a year is gonna run you minimum $500.  Air hockey table of the same quality new is likely $700+.  

Of course you could also put in a cheap one, but don't be shocked when you're asking this question again next spring.

Users who are viewing this thread